PDA

View Full Version : Why is it everyone hates Hogan's and JBL's finishers yet...

RemyRed
11-16-2005, 11:48 PM
...No one ever complains about the Sweet Chin Music? I mean I love Shawn Michaels and all but I always thought he could've done with a better finisher. The sidekick is just so....basic. I wonder if WCW was taking a jab at him back when they ran that how "Glacier bitching about Saturn using the superkick" angle.

Discuss.

Kane Knight
11-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Yeah, a running kick to the face done in a way that looks like it hurts sure compares to a weak boot to the face or a leg drop.

Clothesline from Hell I don't mind...I just think it was a little retarded to turn him high class, and then keep the same finisher.

Corkscrewed
11-17-2005, 12:17 AM
Yeah. At least call it the "Bull Rally" or something......

SCM can actually look pretty stiff, and it sounds like it'd hurt; that's why less people mind.

I just think it's retarded for him to stomp extremely loudly about six times before he goes for the move. You're not facing a deaf wrestler, Shawn.

Kane Knight
11-17-2005, 12:41 AM

SCM can actually look pretty stiff, and it sounds like it'd hurt; that's why less people mind.

I just think it's retarded for him to stomp extremely loudly about six times before he goes for the move. You're not facing a deaf wrestler, Shawn.

It's a throwback to the cartony days of wrestling. Besides, even if he didn't strike up the band, anyone with a brain knows EXACTLY where he's going, so it wouldn't make much difference.

Nervous Ferret
11-17-2005, 12:42 AM
Why doesn't he cover when he is stomping for 10 minutes

Skippord
11-17-2005, 01:15 AM

when CM Punk debuts though :shifty:

Corkscrewed
11-17-2005, 01:21 AM
It's a throwback to the cartony days of wrestling. Besides, even if he didn't strike up the band, anyone with a brain knows EXACTLY where he's going, so it wouldn't make much difference.

Stop being technical in response to my sarcasm! :p

Funky Fly
11-17-2005, 01:34 AM
I don't mind kick finishers if they look reasonably stiff. HBK can usually deliver. Even the Clothesline from Hell looks ok if it's pretty stiff. At the same time, it is jobbing to a clothesline.

Favre4Ever
11-17-2005, 01:41 AM
When JBL was using that powerbomb alot, i thought it looked better than Clothesline from Hell.

Kane Knight
11-17-2005, 01:43 AM
Stop being technical in response to my sarcasm! :p

Pffft. You ain't even seen the beginning of technical!

StrongMad
11-17-2005, 01:49 AM
I always dug the Sweet Chin Music, especially due to the way he always built it up.

Innovator
11-17-2005, 03:04 AM
The Lariat is an awesome finishing move, if sold correctly

Just look at Kenta Kobashi use it

Destor
11-17-2005, 03:33 AM
*Closeline from Hell ownz.
*The Leg Drop is for pussies.
*Sweet Chin Music is so-so.

snakeboss
11-17-2005, 03:40 AM
Clothesline from Hell is a great move, it would probably screw up how you breathe for a while.

Leg Drop sucks seeing as it's a normal move for many wrestlers.

Sweet Chin Music OWNZ, you try getting kicked full pelt in the face, see how you feel.

Dave Youell
11-17-2005, 04:13 AM
Sweet Chin Music OWNZ, you try getting kicked full pelt in the face, see how you feel.
Lemme check

Dave Youell
11-17-2005, 04:13 AM
Pretty dam bad!

Hired Hitman
11-17-2005, 04:36 AM
A Kick to the face will hurt. :|

Funky Fly
11-17-2005, 05:14 AM
Actually, what sucks about the legdrop is that EVERYONE does it better than Hogan, but only his will keep you down for a 3 count.

I wanna see more individual-looking variations of normal moves being used as finishers. Like instead of a superkick, someone could do a vicious savate or a flying leg lariat (actually, I saw Doug Basham do this ssssick leg lariat-into-a-legdrop-into-a-pin move at a house show and beat Bobcore and Hass to retain the tag titles).

Kane Knight
11-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Clothesline from Hell is a great move, it would probably screw up how you breathe for a while.

Well, except he hits with the softest part of his arm, and on most people, a large portion of the blow would be diverted to the chin or sternum.

"Excuse me sir, I'm going to deliver a clothesline to your neck, fucking up your windpipe. Would you please look up for a ten count?"

Felipewcw
11-17-2005, 11:46 AM
I thought it was a known thing that Hogan's finishing moves were crap if you thought about it for more then 2 seconds but it was the whole after he Hulked up no matter who you were you were done for because you just pissed off the Hulkster? That's why people start cheering because after that you know 90% of the time the other guy is done.

Kind of like Goldbergs jackhammer. Granted it would hurt, to say you can't get up from that the 164 (Forgot the number) times he did it is absurd. As dizzying as being held upside down for 5 seconds would be, i'd still know how to kick out.

EDIT: Ok obviously you can kick out of most finsihing moves, what I was trying to say was the whole thing behind Hogans finishing moves and why people cheered crapw as because it was part of the grand allure that Hogan brought. Part of the show he brings. I think that makes more sense.....

Volare
11-17-2005, 12:22 PM
the legdrop is classic just like SWC, but if you want to talk about the most retarded move i've EVER seen its Double J's "The Stroke: i mean come on i've seen dropkicks with more impact.

redoneja
11-17-2005, 01:16 PM
The Lariat is an awesome finishing move, if sold correctly

Just look at Kenta Kobashi use it

RemyRed
11-17-2005, 05:07 PM
I thought it was a known thing that Hogan's finishing moves were crap if you thought about it for more then 2 seconds but it was the whole after he Hulked up no matter who you were you were done for because you just pissed off the Hulkster? That's why people start cheering because after that you know 90% of the time the other guy is done.

Kind of like Goldbergs jackhammer. Granted it would hurt, to say you can't get up from that the 164 (Forgot the number) times he did it is absurd. As dizzying as being held upside down for 5 seconds would be, i'd still know how to kick out.

EDIT: Ok obviously you can kick out of most finsihing moves, what I was trying to say was the whole thing behind Hogans finishing moves and why people cheered crapw as because it was part of the grand allure that Hogan brought. Part of the show he brings. I think that makes more sense.....
I am in run-on sentence hell!

Hired Hitman
11-17-2005, 06:09 PM
A good Finishing move is one that appears to realyl stun the opponent and after the wrestler has done it goes for the cover RIGHT AWAY.

Otherwise most look dumb :-\

Stickman
11-17-2005, 09:09 PM
Sweet Chin Music is probably the only realistic finisher the WWE has. I really can't think of another that looks as realistic and deadly as that. It can come out of nowhere. I do think "tuning up the band" is gay.

Pepsi Man
11-18-2005, 01:11 AM
Meh, a lot of the responses talk about how the majority of people that use the leg drop use it as a regular move and get, at most, a two count out of it, but honestly, how many people have we seen use a variation of a super kick and have it kicked out of?

Hell, there was a time that damn near everyone in ECW had a fucking super kick.

Nowhere Man
11-18-2005, 01:20 AM
I enjoy the fact that doing a leg drop off the turnbuckles only gets a two, but Hogan's plain old regular one is instant death.

John la Rock
11-18-2005, 01:20 AM
I remember the Sweet Chin Music he gave Shelton in their match a few months back...

VICIOUS

Kane Knight
11-18-2005, 01:29 AM
A good Finishing move is one that appears to realyl stun the opponent and after the wrestler has done it goes for the cover RIGHT AWAY.

Otherwise most look dumb :-\

That's also the job of the victim, who must sell the move.

Then again, selling a weak move still doesn't make it look good.

Kane Knight
11-18-2005, 01:33 AM
Sweet Chin Music is probably the only realistic finisher the WWE has. I really can't think of another that looks as realistic and deadly as that. It can come out of nowhere. I do think "tuning up the band" is gay.

Tajiri's "Buzzsaw Kick."
Batista's Spinebuster.
And Trips' "Glass Ceiling" is pretty realistic.

Boomer
11-18-2005, 01:57 AM
I was always a fan of the Stone Cold Stunner.

But it always bothered me when The Rock over-sold it. Like he had to do a backflip every time to sell it.

Kane Knight
11-18-2005, 02:05 AM
I agree. It looked good except when the Rock went through 30 stages of agony...