PDA

View Full Version : WWE Themes and the Boogyman

litasxtremachine
11-21-2005, 10:56 PM
Hey guys! I have two questions...

1st: Do the WWE superstars pick their own theme music or does the production staff (or whatever) choose their theme music for them?

2nd: I have been hearing about this guy named the Boogyman - who is he played by?

The Naitch
11-21-2005, 11:26 PM
1: At first, I think they give you a theme and you run with it. After you become more established, you get to choose a theme which the music guy produces for you in his studio

2: Boogyman is played by Marty "Liar" Wright. He lied about his age in the million dollar Tough Enough last year, but got a developmental contract

Drakul
11-21-2005, 11:51 PM
I'm pretty sure that Jim Johnson is told about a character and what kind of music or vibe they want the character to have and he then makes some music and if its good enough its used. I'm pretty sure most don't get to pick there songs. Although I think Triple H did since hes a huge Motorhead fan.

mrslackalack
11-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Drakuls right about WWE themes. (this was described in the Warrior DVD) However Goldberg said in his book that wrestlers got to chose their theme songs in WCW.

Funky Fly
11-22-2005, 11:41 PM
Edge specially requested his Rob Zombie theme. X-Pac requested his Uncle Cracker theme.

RGWhat316
11-23-2005, 01:16 AM
I do remember that at first, a star is given their theme. I remember hearing about Tazz and that he hated his music at first, so obviously he didn't pick it. But it grew on him, and he still has the same song. But it's hardly ever on tv with him being a commentator.

FourFifty
11-23-2005, 03:27 AM
Edge specially requested his Rob Zombie theme. X-Pac couldn't get a reaction to save his life.

loopydate
11-23-2005, 05:52 PM
Drakuls right about WWE themes. (this was described in the Warrior DVD) However Goldberg said in his book that wrestlers got to chose their theme songs in WCW.

Which explains why DDP came out to "Smells Like Teen Spirit," Hogan used "Voodoo Chile," and Chris Jericho used "Evenflow." Of course, two out of three were ripoffs. WCW used a lot of knockoffs, particularly of Nirvana songs.

Sort of like TNA. Monty Brown's song sounds just close enough to make you think it's "Down With The Sickness," but just different enough so they don't have to actually pay fo rit. Of course, TNA probably gets to use Jeff Hardy's music for free, since no one else will use it for anything.

Optimistic T
11-24-2005, 01:46 PM
I can't wait until I join WWE and come out to "Peanut Butter Jelly Time"

Kane Knight
11-24-2005, 06:11 PM
I'm pretty sure that Jim Johnson is told about a character and what kind of music or vibe they want the character to have and he then makes some music and if its good enough its used. I'm pretty sure most don't get to pick there songs. Although I think Triple H did since hes a huge Motorhead fan.

Technically, wouldn't that be picking the band?

I don't have the disc near me, butisn't The Game still a Jim Johnston song?

Kane Knight
11-24-2005, 06:19 PM
Which explains why DDP came out to "Smells Like Teen Spirit," Hogan used "Voodoo Chile," and Chris Jericho used "Evenflow." Of course, two out of three were ripoffs. WCW used a lot of knockoffs, particularly of Nirvana songs.

Sort of like TNA. Monty Brown's song sounds just close enough to make you think it's "Down With The Sickness," but just different enough so they don't have to actually pay fo rit. Of course, TNA probably gets to use Jeff Hardy's music for free, since no one else will use it for anything.

You don't have to change it much. You can't copyright an arrangement. You need to have something very specific or copy line for line. See also: Vanilla Ice. The main reason he lost that battle was because his song used the same riffs verbatim.

However, there's nothing stoping me from writing a song using Smeells Like...'s chords exactly, right down to the articulation and processing of the guitars, and throwing some Nirvana like vocals over it, provided I don't copy the words. You might EVEN get away with using the same lead vocals and such, provided you didn't copy the words.

Might.

But you have to be pretty exact to get caught with that shit.

Cool King
11-24-2005, 06:45 PM
Technically, wouldn't that be picking the band?

I don't have the disc near me, butisn't The Game still a Jim Johnston song?

Yeah I think Jim Johnston owns the rights to the song (Probably because he wrote the lyrics to it) but because Triple H loves Motorhead, Jim picked them to sing it.

loopydate
11-24-2005, 07:11 PM
You don't have to change it much. You can't copyright an arrangement. You need to have something very specific or copy line for line. See also: Vanilla Ice. The main reason he lost that battle was because his song used the same riffs verbatim.

However, there's nothing stoping me from writing a song using Smeells Like...'s chords exactly, right down to the articulation and processing of the guitars, and throwing some Nirvana like vocals over it, provided I don't copy the words. You might EVEN get away with using the same lead vocals and such, provided you didn't copy the words.

Might.

Exactly. Nice cheap alternative to paying for the songs.

Kane Knight
11-24-2005, 07:50 PM
Tell me about it. That's why TNA shouldhire me. Ican rip off songs for a fraction of the price.

TerranRich
11-25-2005, 03:46 PM
Which explains why DDP came out to "Smells Like Teen Spirit," Hogan used "Voodoo Chile,"...

Voodoo Chile? LOL It's "Voodoo Child", silly. :p

loopydate
11-25-2005, 06:07 PM
Was it Schiavone that pronounced it "Voodoo Cheelay" at one of the shows?

Kane Knight
11-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Voodoo Chile? LOL It's "Voodoo Child", silly. :p

Actually, it'd be "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)."

And Hendrix does have a song named Voodoo Chile.

My Final Heaven
11-25-2005, 08:10 PM
Was it Schiavone that pronounced it "Voodoo Cheelay" at one of the shows?

I believe it was Mike Tenay that said it.

Dark-Slicer Diago
11-27-2005, 12:12 PM
The thing with Monty Brown w/ Down With The Sickness(Disturbed) is done again, this time with Christian Cage w/ My Last Breath(Evanescence)

Just John
11-27-2005, 12:15 PM
Actually, it'd be "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)."

And Hendrix does have a song named Voodoo Chile.

yeah he messes the lyrics up to give it a weird effect on there like "chop it down with the ledge of my hand"

Optimistic T
11-27-2005, 01:51 PM
yeah he messes the lyrics up to give it a weird effect on there like "chop it down with the ledge of my hand"

Hogan needs to return and use this (http://www.timgmusic.co.uk/nothingtoseehere/TimG%20-%20Voodoo%20Problems.mp3)

el fregadero
11-30-2005, 02:52 AM

Might.

Yep, which is exactly why Weird Al Yankovic hasn't been sued into submission.

Kane Knight
11-30-2005, 03:41 PM
Yep, which is exactly why Weird Al Yankovic hasn't been sued into submission.

WRONG.

Wierd Al hasn't been sued into submission because:

1. Most often, he works with the artists in question. At least, he gets permission, they sometimes provide far more assistance.

2. You can't sue for a parody. Weird Al needs NO permission to use someone's tune, even though he normally does get them. He HAS, in fact, been sued before.

3. Weird Al still pays the royalties he's legally obliged to (No permission is necessary, but compensation is required should such a song be published).

Parodies and knockoffs follow completely different legal rules.