PDA

View Full Version : Kayfabe Corner 14: TNA Thoughts & Some Big Kayfabe News

KayfabeMan
12-14-2005, 07:46 AM
I haven't been around in a while, but I have news on that towards the end of KC. I really did miss TPWW though :( , and the majority of the posters here.

So, I decided to take the world's best road trip to Orlando once again for TNA's PPV: Turning Point. At least that is what I think it was called, seeing as they had NO signage in the building and / or on the set to identify it. All there was was a cheesy graphic on the screens all night long, imparing the live crowd from seeing any action on the screens.

The drive there was quite relaxing actually, and I enjoyed the lunch / dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe in Orlando. I've managed Hard Rock Hollywood, Hard Rock Miami and now Orlando - so my list is going up.

We got to skip the main line, as this time VIP's were sent to their own area - but there were a number of people let in even before the VIP's, and then we were let in, only to be sent RIGHT back out. On top of this, the VIP's were not in a line, but rather rushed the door when it was opened. Leaving people who got there at 3:00 all of a sudden behind people who got there at 5:30. Also, TNA still has FANS running various positions for them. I think if you can pay Universal $30,000 a week, and MorphoPlex pays your bills, etc. - you can afford a few REAL staffers who get money instead of t-shirts and autographs.

I have to say, this was the most amateur presentation of a PPV that I've been to. From the above mentioned lack of a decent set / effort, to the overall feel of the PPV - which seemed like a VERY HIGHLY glorified indy show - it was just very, very cheesy. It was very packed inside, with little to no room to sit or stand.

Before the PPV, they were doing the in-ring hype, giving out shirts and such. They asked how many people were new to TNA, and had never been there live before. About a half-dozen people raised their hands, so thats not really good news.

The 6-man opener was incredibly crappy. TNA, SERIOUSLY, please, get some better jobbers. Bad enough The Naturals and Hoyt are crap enough - but then you have three of the world's most generic and talentless guys facing off against them. It's like a mirror image. Horrible bout, but Hoyt's Orlando fanbase cheers for him. Let's see how that works out on the road.

It took three decades to get ready for the barbed wire match. :lol: at the match overall, and how easy the Orlando / TNA marks are easy to please. Nothing special or noteworthy; same can be said for Bentley / Aries against Strong / Shelley. Nothing impressive or out of the ordinary.

Raven and Kanyon's match was a big letdown. No real big pop for Kanyon, or Chris K. as they call him. Kanyon wasn't really his usual self, and the match itself was a popcorn break. 4LK vs. Team Canada was another usual match, though the switch at the end got a good reaction. I found myself screaming at the end, with a "Oh no! The minorities are revolting!!" Which got a number of both laughs and disapprovals from those around me.

The Torborg / DITR 6-man match was beyond description. Another indy match placed on a PPV event. I see where they are going with the publicity angle and all of that, but none of it makes any long-term impact on TNA. I laughed at the finish on this one, with the base over the head. :roll:

Ugh. I can't even re-cap the rest of it, it was just kinda boring to me.

I thought Christian did well carrying Brown, for what you can do with that guy. AJ vs. Samoa Joe was just like part 1,000 of a generic over-hyped match to me. I don't see the appeal of Joe, and the match was so / so.

Anyhow, just a few random thoughts on the PPV itself. On to me.

I haven't been around here at all lately. I've been bogged down with 40+ hours a week at work, being sick, the road trip, the gym, training in the ring to get back to ring shape, and then some good news for me....I proposed to my girlfriend, and KayfabeMan is officially off the market. :) I'm extremely happy, and now have a wedding to plan.

AJHayes
12-14-2005, 08:20 AM
Congrats on the wedding Kayfabe, but, the rest of the article was kind of a bummer. Maybe next time, if you're going to tell us bad news, tell it in a good way so it won't seem so bad?

But, seriously, congrats.

Dave Youell
12-14-2005, 08:23 AM
Hey man, congrats on the engagement. Was nice knowing you, the woman will no approve of anything that takes time away from her. i.e the internet.

You really don't seem to like TNA though, why the hell do you keep going back?

And finally i'm calling your ass out, Me vs You when i'm in America around Mania time. Be there!

KayfabeMan
12-14-2005, 08:52 AM
Hey man, congrats on the engagement. Was nice knowing you, the woman will no approve of anything that takes time away from her. i.e the internet.

You really don't seem to like TNA though, why the hell do you keep going back?

And finally i'm calling your ass out, Me vs You when i'm in America around Mania time. Be there!

Belfast, yeah the 'article' does suck. I just wanted to vent some random thoughts from the PPV itself and maybe get a few opinions from those who may have watched and / or went, etc. Thanks for the congrats as well. :y:

Dave:
Luckily, she's not like that. She's the one who actually got me the time to get online and get back here to post, etc. She knows about me being both a fan and worker, etc. and gets that I need my "wrestling fix" so to speak, so it's cool :)

I go for the trip to Orlando basically, and that it's a weekend out. We did Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock and a few other sites - so the trip was basically for that. I went with several people, so they wanted to go to it and it's fairly easy to get VIP so we went and made a day out of it. I had went because I was incorrectly informed that Sting would be at THIS PPV. I haven't watched any wrestling at all in weeks and weeks now due to work, and was told that he was going to be there.

Also, for your challenge - since I'm feeling 1980's NWA right now; if it's in a steel cage, KayfabeMan accepts :mad:

PullMyFinger
12-14-2005, 12:03 PM
Congrats on the engagement, lol and sad to know the show was like that.

Pegasus Crawford
12-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Dave Youell vs KayfabeMan in a steel cage... smell the buyrates!!! :D

Congrats on the engagement. :)

Corkscrewed
12-14-2005, 02:43 PM
^ They'd be better than TNA.... :lol:

Congrats on the engagement, Kayfabe Man! If you love her, you'll never bring her to a TNA event. :p

loopydate
12-14-2005, 10:34 PM
PLEASE tell me you're taking her name and not forcing her to become KayfabeWoman!

DaveWadding
12-15-2005, 02:22 AM
Also, for your challenge - since I'm feeling 1980's NWA right now; if it's in a steel cage, KayfabeMan accepts :mad:

PLEAAASEEEEEE make it the old WWF style blue bars cage :love:

Dave Youell
12-15-2005, 08:38 AM
Ok Mr Fabe.

I demand an 8 sided steel cage in a 3 sided ring with barb wire. It's taken 30 years to get that sort of a match onto a pay per view.

It will feature a rumoured appearance of Bret Hart, but instead we will only leave his tights in the ring at the end of the show along with his glasses