PDA

View Full Version : Chris Jericho's Undisputed Championship run

The Naitch
12-30-2005, 09:22 PM
Discuss

On paper it looks good to be The first ever Undisputed Champ defeating The Rock and Stone Cold in the same night, but it wasn't all that great

Why did they half ass this one? Was it bad timing? Poor buildup? The fact that he was a heel? Made to look like a coward heel?

ps- All I remember is Jericho poolside in his thong

Innovator
12-30-2005, 09:25 PM
He had to walk Stephanie's dog, and pick up its shit

Rob
12-30-2005, 09:34 PM
They only put the belt on him to satisfy the internet fans and allow HHH to beat him at Mania.

Loose Cannon
12-30-2005, 10:25 PM
They made Jericho (Thier Undisputed Champion) play second fiddle to HHH/Steph storyline. Your World Champion should be the main focus of your TV and when he's not, you make the belt look like a piece of crap and you make him look like a joke. Just a bunch of egos and politics.

Same thing happened to Benoit. He got this huge push leading up to Mania, but found himself playing second fiddle to HHH/HBK when it came time for him to carry the strap. And I guarantee those numbers would of at least stayed the same if Benoit was the main focus of TV.

Chico
12-30-2005, 10:39 PM
Who cared that Jericho was the first Undisputed champ, and beat Rock and Austin in the same night - HHH was coming back from injury! It seemed like no-one was talking about Jericho's feats at all - instead it was HHH, HHH, HHH.

And thanks Naitch - now I've got that image of Jericho poolside stuck in my head. [shudder]

The Gooch
12-30-2005, 10:41 PM
The best for me was in a TSN interview prior to Wrestlemania in Toronto, Triple H told Michael Lansberg that Jericho was close, but still not mainevent level. I so wish I had taped it for all those who say there is/was no proof that Hunter was holding (or contributing to holding) Jericho down. He belittled the champ prior to there biggest PPV without any reprecussions.

Rob
12-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Same thing happened to Benoit. He got this huge push leading up to Mania, but found himself playing second fiddle to HHH/HBK when it came time for him to carry the strap. And I guarantee those numbers would of at least stayed the same if Benoit was the main focus of TV.

Mate, I say the numbers would have went up. You have no idea how many of my friends stopped watching WWE the minute Benoit lost the title. We all thought we were getting a new era with Benoit and Guerrero on top and within 6 months it was JBL and HHH again. Aside from a few of my friends who asked me if I heard about Eddie's death, we haven't had one wrestling discussion in over a year. There are all "die hard" WWF fans growing up too.

mrslackalack
12-30-2005, 11:38 PM
Yeah Jerichos run as champion was second fiddle to HHH's return and the NWO invasion of the WWF.

Taker Fan
12-31-2005, 12:16 AM
I think the very next night they went in the wrong direction with Jericho's title run as he was destoryed and bloodied by Austin in a cage, and I think he picked up a very very cheap win and he crawled out the door. (correct me if im wrong on something though)

Savio
12-31-2005, 12:41 AM
Benoit played second fiddle to HHH and eugene.

Taker Fan
12-31-2005, 12:56 AM
Also, does anyone else remember that promo that he did with The Rock to hype their title match at the Rumble? The Rock was about to end the promo on a "IF YA SMELLLLL" and then Jericho cuts him short and yells "No! I am not a joke!" and he went on to list his accomplishments and it ended with a teary-eyed Jericho and Rock staring face-to-face. I don't want to say that it was a shoot, but maybe he was realizing that everyone around him didn't believe that he could be champion, and he indirectly had that message sent in that promo (?) Hopefully someone else remembers the promo.

Lock Jaw
12-31-2005, 01:49 AM
Also, does anyone else remember that promo that he did with The Rock to hype their title match at the Rumble? The Rock was about to end the promo on a "IF YA SMELLLLL" and then Jericho cuts him short and yells "No! I am not a joke!" and he went on to list his accomplishments and it ended with a teary-eyed Jericho and Rock staring face-to-face. I don't want to say that it was a shoot, but maybe he was realizing that everyone around him didn't believe that he could be champion, and he indirectly had that message sent in that promo (?) Hopefully someone else remembers the promo.

That is one of my all-time favourite memories.

It was just so awesome. Jericho was just so awesome at the time. Then HHH came in and it all went downhill.

James Steele
12-31-2005, 01:57 AM
Upload it. I need my Jericho fix.

Mr. Nerfect
01-01-2006, 04:58 AM
Jericho as Undisputed Champ was a shocker, and if they had made him look strong while holding both belts, he would have been huge. Instead he looked like a guy that could lose the titles even when they weren't on the line. He just didn't seem strong enough, and seemed to be on McMahon-blessed time. It was just...awkward.

I still pray Jericho returns at the 2006 Royal Rumble in the #30 spot, wins, and challenges Kurt Angle in the main event of WrestleMania. That is my dream main event, and I'm calling it if Angle wins at NYR.

Russenmafia
01-01-2006, 08:01 AM
Jericho's run as Undisputed champ was one of my fav periods watching WWE. I know he was getting booked to look weak but it was just brilliant to see him with the belts. Fuck knows why he never got another world title run. Hopefully he will get the run he deserves should he ever come back to WWE.

addy2hotty
01-01-2006, 10:42 AM
I will never forget when Jericho came out with both those belts during his entrance. I think James Steele used to have it as his avatar. And when I touched the belts when I met him before WM18, and when he told me 'no, the honour is all mine' when I told him 'its an honour to meet you Chris, I've come all the way from England to see you'

That made his run worth it to me.

As for his promo with the Rock, I doubt I've ever seen a more emotional, better acted promo then that.

Lock Jaw
01-01-2006, 02:20 PM
This guy touched his belts too: http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=Ks3yalxOqhs&search=Chris%20Jericho

RGWhat316
01-01-2006, 03:37 PM

That was an awesome promo. All these big names kept coming up to the Rock saying of how they were gonna face him for the title. And Jericho was pissed saying that everyone automatically believed that Rock was gonna beat him at the Rumble.

James Steele
01-01-2006, 06:51 PM
All those Jericho vids are making me miss him more than usual. COME BACK JERICHO!!!!!

HaTeR
01-01-2006, 07:01 PM
does anyone have the jericho promo vid? I've never seen it...