PDA

View Full Version : The 'Real' Competition

The CyNick
01-06-2006, 07:44 PM
So I haven't posted in a while. Just so you know, I didn't die or anything, just been travelling a lot with work and I haven't had much time to watch/post about wrestling. Things are slowing down now, so I figured I'd come back and see if this place is still standing. Turns out the place can survive without me. lol

Anyway I thought I'd make a post related to a lot of the talk about the need for competition. Everyone is hoping for TNA to provide that, but for a lot of reasons I still dont think that will ever happen.

MMA is where its at. I've actually become less and less interested in pro wrestling (not just WWE, but I'll get into that elsewhere I'm sure) and more and more into MMA. I was always a fan of MMA, but since the Summer it's easily surpassed wrestling as my favourite non hockey sport.

The last few months have been great for UFC in particular. They've had 3 gates in '05 that were over $2 million, something the WWE hasn't been able to do. And anyone who has been following UFC, they would know that 2006 looks like it could be the biggest year ever.

I haven't been following the Internet sites (Meltzer and so on) as much, so I don't know what the TV numbers are, but I know they are growing, and I think if they can make me a lifelong wrestling (WWE) fan turn to their product, others will as well.

Just wanted to hear what your thoughts as wrestlign fans are about MMA, and UFC in particular and if you've been watching more of it now that its more readily available.

IMO, this is a sport on the cusp of breaking through, and I think we'll start to see them eat away at the Monday night audience when they are head to head. There are about 10 matches in UFC that I am dying to see, and few if any that I want to see in TNA or WWE.

Loose Cannon
01-06-2006, 07:49 PM
:eek: OMG. Finally. Welcome back.

PS, didn't read your post yet, just wanted to post that.

The CyNick
01-06-2006, 07:52 PM
lol, thanks

Loose Cannon
01-06-2006, 07:53 PM
yea, I just posted the other week that this is the lowest my interest in wrestling has become. I just don't really care that much anymore. Don't watch Smackdown, barely watch TNA and I watch Raw, but probably because I've been watching since it every Monday Night since 93.

But my interest in UFC has definately grown this past year and I watch whenever I can. Can't wait for Ultimate Fighter with Shamrock and Tito :cool:

The CyNick
01-06-2006, 08:13 PM
That should be awesome.

There's so much to look forward to this year in UFC. Tito-Shamrock should be like Andre-Hogan or Rock-Austin in terms of MMA in North America given their past and now their exposure on Cable TV for thirteen weeks. Add that to Liddell /Couture and the two winners facing each other later in the year. That alone is amazing, and I haven't touched on the 170 pound division, which is unreal.

I'd actually like to see them put the Ultimate Fighter show heads up with WWE, just to see how it would fare. I know which one I would pick, and it stuns me to say it, but it wouldn't be Vince's show.

Y3J
01-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Funny you should mention UFC. I'm just watching Ultimate Fighter 2 (not sure how far it is in the US) and i'm really getting into it. I've watched a few bouts here and there but this series has really got me interested.

Mr. JL
01-06-2006, 09:08 PM
I agree, I have never been so uninterested in professional wrestling as I am currently. Occasionally there has been something to spark my interest, whether that be in the WWE or TNA, but nothing keeps me wanting to tune in on a regular basis anymore. I'll write something a little more indepth later, with some opinions but I must confess that I have been watching UFC far more than any WWE or TNA shows recently.

McLegend
01-06-2006, 09:32 PM
My interest in wrestling is still probably higher then ever, but still UFC is incredible. I have become a huge Matt Hughes mark.

Boondock Saint
01-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Cynick :love:

Stickman
01-06-2006, 10:24 PM
My interest in wrestling is still probably higher then ever, but still UFC is incredible. I have become a huge Matt Hughes mark.

I'm in the same boat. Hughes is unreal.

NoRoolz
01-07-2006, 08:26 AM
You know WWE is at a low when Mark Henry beats on the World Heavyweight Champion.

Impact!
01-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Is evan Tanner still competing?

Rob
01-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Is evan Tanner still competing?

Yeah he is fighting on the next show.

For the record, I'm a massive MMA fan and have been for years. However, I'm optimistic for the future of TNA especially with Spike TV investing their own money in the company now.

Rob
01-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Also, back when I cared about the content of this site, I was pulling for ages to get more MMA (specifically UFC) coverage. I knew they were gonna explode and they were VERY friendly towards internet sites in terms of interviews and media passes. Nobody else wanted it though.

Impact!
01-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Evan Tanner :D

And Rob, if I was around here back then I woulda helped you push for that as well.

KillerWolf
01-07-2006, 01:07 PM
you make a very good point, Cynick. wrestling is pretty much in the toilet, and MMA is where its at. there was a time (this fall) where i sacraficed wrestling from my DVR because it interfered with the Ultimate Fighter. the Ultimate Fighter reallity show has really brought MMA to the forefront, and if i had to pick one, i would have to go with MMA - given the current state of wrestling.

the only problem with UFC going head-to-head vs. wwe is that programming wise, they dont have enough volume; that is to say, whenever its on, its a re-run. if they were doing weekly fights, i'd watch it. and i'm chomping at the bit for the Ultimate Fighter 3.

94 SVT Cobra
01-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Are we really comparing UFC and WWE/Pro wrestling? Thats like Comparing Mustang Cobras to a Corvettes, they seem alike, there both fast but one is a sports car(UFC, which is real and doesnt need any help) and the other is a muscle car(WWE) which could be made to beat the vette, but its still a muscle car no matter how much you can make it handle and drive like a sports car.

The WWE is fake entertainment that doesnt drive home the point of its competitors but offers a (kinda) good all around show, like a muscle car. UFC however is all about there competitors and the ablities they have beacuse, well its real. Like a sports car, No BS, No added weight, nothing. Just great handling and a LOT of power. Apples and oranges really

....yes i do watch ufc sometimes, good shit, but im not gonna comapre it to a show were its fake, thats too easy.

KillerWolf
01-07-2006, 02:34 PM
here's the thing, dude...wrestling fans are not necessarilly sports fans. however, it is almost certain that a wrestling fan will enjoy UFC/MMA by its very nature. your logic is flawed because the only major difference between the two is that one is real, the other is staged. the point of the Cynick's post is that with the sorry state of wrestling, many wrestling fans would see MMA programming as an acceptable alternative (the same cannot be said for baseball, basketball, or soccer).

btw, my '96 Z28 will smoke your '94 Cobra.

The Naitch
01-07-2006, 02:48 PM
The only real competition is Vince taking his head out of his ass

HeartBreakMan2k
01-07-2006, 02:55 PM
I've competed in MMA for years (nothing as big as UFC, just statewide tournies, etc) so I've always been a huge fan of UFC and Pride (even did legit play by play on one of the events in the sports forum actually), but just in this past year with my interest in WWE at an all time low, has my interest in watching MMA peaked.

The Naitch
01-07-2006, 02:57 PM
You can't compare the two. Just becuase your interest shifts into something else, doesn't mean shit

HeartBreakMan2k
01-07-2006, 03:01 PM
I think you can compare them, yes they are different types of entertainment, but essentially they're going after the same demographic. And interest shifts do mean something, otherwise the Monday night wars didn't mean shit. That was all on the basis of interest.

Kane Knight
01-07-2006, 03:04 PM
CyNick, you disappoint me. You need a great backstory as to why you were gone. Maybe you didn't die, but you were a burglar on the set when Tim White tried to kill himself or something.

Kapoutman
01-07-2006, 03:16 PM
There are no stations carrying UFC or MMA in Quebec. I'd like to see some UFC as it seems interesting, but other than downloading it from the net, there's nothing I can do.

Innovator
01-07-2006, 03:19 PM
I think you can compare them, yes they are different types of entertainment, but essentially they're going after the same demographic. And interest shifts do mean something, otherwise the Monday night wars didn't mean shit. That was all on the basis of interest.what weight class do you fight in?

HeartBreakMan2k
01-07-2006, 10:01 PM
what weight class do you fight in?

No weight class here actually (though in the few events that do seperate us I compete in the 160 to 230 range), there are talks of adding them but none as of yet. I do it both for AAU (travel league) and just random tourneys that are promoted. I've got a strong background in submission grappling having done Am. Wrestling, Pancration, Judo and BJJ (been doing the four since I was around 6). Just recently (past 2 years or so) have added a fairly extensive MT Kickboxing training though.

punt
01-07-2006, 10:11 PM
UF 3 should be great. I can't wait to see what type of coach Shamrock will be. He has such a wealth of knowledge.

PullMyFinger
01-08-2006, 03:15 AM
I still believe the wrestling market is way too diverse and big for one company to satisfy everyone. The nature of the business will always have a new fed starting up and trying to get to the top.

However, the point of this thread is MMA...so with that I'll say this

UFC looks cool, but I'll be honest...I just can't get into it for some reason. I don't know why...I've tried to make myself watch it, but most of the time I'll hit the switch for another channel.

NoRoolz
01-08-2006, 02:18 PM
How does the UFC work exactly? Like is there shows every month? How many fights will be on a card? Is there titles/divisions? Etc.

I mean I've seen small clips of it but never watched whole shows or anything, and people often say 'it's like WWE except real fighting!', sounds stupid but can anyone relate to that?

94 SVT Cobra
01-08-2006, 05:09 PM
here's the thing, dude...wrestling fans are not necessarilly sports fans. however, it is almost certain that a wrestling fan will enjoy UFC/MMA by its very nature. your logic is flawed because the only major difference between the two is that one is real, the other is staged. the point of the Cynick's post is that with the sorry state of wrestling, many wrestling fans would see MMA programming as an acceptable alternative (the same cannot be said for baseball, basketball, or soccer).

btw, my '96 Z28 will smoke your '94 Cobra.

Sure it will:lol: .....what mods do you got? I got some pretty hefty mods in the car, and more coming soon

Boondock Saint
01-08-2006, 05:34 PM
I've been wanting to get into UFC but the only time I see it on is during the Ultimate Fighter reality show thing, which is over for the time being. I never had a chance to watch that. So is that the only time it is on or does Spike have specials for the UFC every month or so?

McLegend
01-08-2006, 05:36 PM
They have a Live special on January 16 at 10 P.M. on Spike.

Boondock Saint
01-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Well according to the UFC website, tomorrow night at 11 is UFC Unleashed, apparently it's a best of the best type thing. I'll try to check it out.

Boondock Saint
01-08-2006, 05:37 PM
They have a Live special on January 16 at 10 P.M. on Spike.

Ah, good to know. I'll set the DVR.

Deceit
01-08-2006, 06:37 PM
I agree. I've been totally into MMA/UFC for about a year now. It's been pretty solid

The CyNick
01-10-2006, 12:02 PM
KK, wish I did have a great backstory, just work.....of course I work as a Spy and have been all over the world hunting Osama Bin Laden. He actually caught me at one point, but I escaped because he left me with one inept guard.

Back to MMA:

UFC basically has UFC Unleashed which is re-runs of fights over the past couple of years (some are older than that but the majority is recent stuff).

That show runs throughout the week, I know there is a show on the weekend before Impact and one after RAW on Monday's.

That Monday timeslot is also used for the Ultimate Fighter reality show whic is where they have a bunch of fighters in two weight classes and they live and train together and then two of them fight each other every week, loser goes home.

They also have occasional Ultimte Fight Night shows, which is a live card with first-run fights. Next one is this Monday.

Finally they have PPVs, about every two months, although I wouldn't be shocked if they start to run more now that they are getting more popular.

I guess the reason I see UFC as an alternative for wrestling fans (not so much the other way around) is that wrestling is all about making you want to see two people (fake) fight one another. MMA, boxing, and to a point all sports are about that same concept. How do we get people interested in seeing these two guys (or temas) compete against each other.

UFC has been around for a long time, but its only been since they were able to get over characters with the Ultimate Fighter show that people began to care about seeing these guys fight one another. Wrestling has had far greater TV exposure over the same time period and they have the opportunity to make fans care about their characters, and then lead you to want to see them fight.

Ken Shamrock and Tito Ortiz will the coaches for the next ultimate Fighter series, and they will eventually fight one another. They already have a history with one another, and they have name value, so a fight between the two would do great business if it was booked for this weekend. But I think once you see them opposite one another on TV for 13 weeks, the desire to see them fight will increase ten-fold.

The other main reason why I think MMA and UFC in particular (cause they have the most exposure in the US) can take off even more by stealing wrestling fans is the demographics of wrestling fans. I think a lot of fans that are still watching WWE today started watching wrestling in or around the time when Hogan was on top. That puts those people in or near their 20s. I think at some point you get turned off by the childish humour they try to use in WWE and would look for something that is more adult, UFC definately fits that mold.

As far as competing heads up with WWE. They will be head to head next week from 10PM to 11PM, but I'd like to see those Live shows go directly head to head with RAW and just see what happens. There's no doubt in my mind RAW would win, because they have been there for over 10 years, but I think UFC could steal some of their fans.

Final thing I'll say, Matt Hughes is a machine, but GSP is GOD!!!