PDA

View Full Version : Suikoden V

Blitz
01-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Goddamn, I'm looking forward to this game, especially after the travesty that was Suiko 4. Looks more old school than the las 2 Suiko games, plus it features the return of 2 of my favourite Suiko 2 characters, Georg Prime and Killey.

Supposedly out March 1.

UmbrellaCorporation
01-07-2006, 05:41 PM
I liked Suikoden IV pretty well. Not as much as the others, not anywhere close, mind you. Still liked it reasonably well though. I think every series has a game that fans pretty much think shouldn't have been made.

I wasn't aware that Suikoden V was coming out so soon though. If that's the case, then :drool:. Those games are amazing.

Blitz
01-07-2006, 05:57 PM
That's the rumoured release date, according to Gamefaqs and EB Games. A lot of people think it's false since the game comes out in Japan only a week earlier. Then again, supposedly they started working on Suiko V the same time they started work on Suiko 4...So who knows.

LoDownM
01-08-2006, 01:41 AM
Suikoden = Best RPG Series, IMO. Can't wait for 5

I need to get Suikoden 4(didn't have a ps2 when it came out) and Suikoden: Tatics(now that I have a ps2, i'm broke :mad: )

Blitz
01-08-2006, 01:48 AM
Yeah, I haven't played Tactics yet. Supposedly it fills in some plot holes in S4.

Blitz
01-08-2006, 01:48 AM
Two Yuber avatars in a row. :cool:

LoDownM
01-08-2006, 05:04 AM
pfft. Suikoden 2 Yuber > Suikoden 3 Yuber

Also i've had mine for 2 years, don't copy me :mad:

Blitz
01-08-2006, 05:23 AM
Can't we just call it a "homage"?

What Would Kevin Do?
01-08-2006, 05:44 AM
Tactics isn't bad. I'm enjoying it. The constant battles and ship traveling annoyed me in 4.

Also, I doubt it will be out March 1st, because even if they were translating it now, there are still voice overs... Unless they leave it in Japanese and just dub it, which I would love.

***SPOILER of sorts***

Sooooo, who thinks we'll get to see George kill the queen? Or is he set up?

Blitz
01-09-2006, 04:03 AM
Seems likely, seeing as the Queen appears (I think) to be one of the villains. Dunno, could be a swerve.

What Would Kevin Do?
01-10-2006, 12:45 AM
Seems likely, seeing as the Queen appears (I think) to be one of the villains. Dunno, could be a swerve.

Well, if you remember, if you did a background check on George in Suiko 2, the detective says he assasinated the queen of Falena ;)

I'm thinking it's a swerve.

LoDownM
01-10-2006, 01:35 AM
...Damn you ppl, I want to know what your talking about, send me your suikoden 4 and tatics now :mad:

What Would Kevin Do?
01-10-2006, 01:44 AM
...Damn you ppl, I want to know what your talking about, send me your suikoden 4 and tatics now :mad:

Suikoden 4 isn't that great... Seems really rushed and the story sorta sucks. Tactics is good so far though. Anyway, we weren't really talking about either of them.

Blitz
01-10-2006, 01:49 AM
I haven't played Suikoden Tactics, but I do know it takes place before and after Suikoden 4, therefore I believe the only game it references is Suiko 4. Suikoden 4 has nothing to do with any other Suiko games (with the exception of a small subplot relating to Ted from Suiko 1), since it's set a few hundred years prior to the first Suikoden. Thusly, what don't you understand?

Blitz
01-25-2006, 02:02 AM
New release date according to Gamefaqs: March 28.

Still seems a bit unrealistic, tho.

What Would Kevin Do?
01-25-2006, 05:49 AM
WHOOOOOO!!
http://www.konami.com/gs/gameinfo.php?id=166

English official Konami site, and they have the release date as March 06 too !!!!!!!

Celebrate the 10th anniversary of Suikoden with an all-new role-playing adventure filled with mystery and suspense. In the land of Falena, a prosperous and beautiful country governed by the matriarchy and the benevolent power of the Sun Rune, civil unrest arises and the queen is forced to use the Sun Rune to quell the uprising, but at what cost? Journey as the prince in an expansive quest uncovering the mysteries surrounding the Sun Rune, the civil unrest and the dark intent of an unknown power in the greatest Suikoden saga yet!
Features

Longest Suikoden storyline ever with fully voiced-over cut scenes, multiple endings, storyline branches and unimaginable plot twists
Uncover the 108 Stars of Destiny to build up and customize a home base
Tactical Formation System allows for more than 20 strategic formations in battle
Take 6 member parties into battle with over 60 playable characters for millions of party combinations
Strategic map battles with hundreds of troops in huge army skirmishes
Completely customize your characters with a new skill system, weapon enhancement system and hundreds of unique equipment items

What Would Kevin Do?
01-25-2006, 06:02 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c69/basel-mahdi/Killey_tb.png

What Would Kevin Do?
01-25-2006, 06:03 AM
KILLEY :)

Blitz
01-25-2006, 12:19 PM
:heart:

Blitz
01-26-2006, 07:55 PM
English trailer can be found here (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/suikoden5/media.html?mode=all)

Blitz
02-25-2006, 05:34 PM
It's out in Japan. Just a month till it comes here :love:
Here's a link to pics of some of the characters.

Found it on the Gamefaqs board.
http://photobucket.com/albums/f210/krichan/

What Would Kevin Do?
02-26-2006, 02:05 AM
Stolen from Gamefaqs

blue moon/sar's impressions
From: himurokoken (http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/user.php?user=1950248&board=929668&topic=26596733) | Posted: 2/25/2006 11:40:53 AM | Message Detail (http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/detail.php?board=929668&topic=26596733&message=290563166)
----------------------------------------------------------------

I've been playing Suikoden 5 for about 20 hours, and I think I have a pretty good grasp of this game, enough to give an intial impression.

Well, I think I can safely say that Suikoden V is indeed Suikoden.

The plot is superb. It's not only the complexity that is superb, but I was surprised by the plot more than once. Thankfully I didn't spoil myself at all with advanced spoilers, which made the experience that much sweeter. I strongly recommend people to avoid spoiler info unless you have played the game.

What I like about the plot is that you are given a good explanation on things, and you get a clear reason of why you are doing what you are doing (unlike certain parts in Suikoden 4). The plot is also rife with strategy and politics, involving multiple nations, factions, groups, and characters; yet, the story manages to retain coherence. You're also given the opportunity to roam around to do extraneous stuff if you don't want to simply follow the plotline.

The characters are absolutely stellar. Suikoden 4 (for me) had characters with good design and feel, but were not utilized to their full potential. Suikoden V takes a few steps further and takes a lot of time to develop the characters rather deeply. This results in a pretty powerful feeling of emotional release when the characters are involved in certain events (of course, this might just be me). You'll also meet some returning characters, some of them have been quite unexpected. Again, I was very glad I didn't spoil myself because I was thinking in my head, "OMG, this is so cool!"

As for the game mechanics, I've heard a lot of comments about load time, and indeed it can get a bit tiresome. However, this is still a minor problem. Otherwise, the battles are done very well, and formations have a pretty important impact on how well you do. I've done a fair amount of fighting for the sake of it, but you'd need to use the right strategy for the party you have; otherwise, you'll have difficulty fighting normal battles. I'd say that the battles in Suikoden V is a bit difficult compared to previous installations.

The duel is very good. The simple time limit makes the duel pretty difficult. They also seem to have created different battle actions for your main character for each different duel; this makes each duel rather exciting.

The conventional war battle is really fun. I have no complains whatsoever about it. The fact that the enemy continues to move makes it somewhat challenging, but even if you are defeated, you can restart from the beginning of the same battle. Although there are some basic unit types, there are many other types of units as well (I've only seen a few).

The sea battles are also fun, and is a lot more strategic compared to Suikoden 4. Also, because you can actually make more money based on how well you do, there's actually a reason to reduce your own casualties (this is also true with conventional war battles).

Of course, in both war battles, there's plenty of dialogue and plot, much like Suikoden 2. Your strategists and generals will play important roles, and oh yes, it feels like suikoden.

As far as the controls go, one problem I have is that it is sometimes hard to talk to townsfolk. Even if I am pushing the correct button to speak with people, they sometimes don't respond. As a result, I have to press the button more than once (unforgivable! Razz). The perpetually "quarter-view" perspective also makes it hard to navigate yourself, especially in towns with tall buildings. However, all of these are still minor issues that don't really distract you from the excellence of the plot.

Personally, I am relieved that Suikoden V seems to be a solidly good game. It does have the "suikoden feel" folks.

And one last thing I want to repeat: Don't spoil yourself!

LoDownM
02-26-2006, 03:27 AM
Gonna have to get 5.

and 4

and Tatics...

Yeah, i'm way behind due to not having a PS2 for 2 years.

Blitz
02-26-2006, 04:54 AM
Gonna start replaying the series soon. Of course I only have 3 and 4 atm because my copy of 2 doesn't work for some reason ( :'( ) and I don't remember what I did with my copy of 1 :o

What Would Kevin Do?
03-10-2006, 03:08 PM
The release date has been bumped down to March 21st :)

Blitz
03-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Yeah, good stuff. I am giddy like a schoolgirl atm.

Blitz
03-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Got it today :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

After Lost and Veronica Mars, I shall play till the wee hours of the morning.

What Would Kevin Do?
03-23-2006, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I got it as well. Haven't played it much yet though. Although it does seem leaps and bounds above 4. Hell, A lot of characters are already more likeable. Especially some of the Queen's Knights.

Blitz
03-23-2006, 11:58 PM
I'm about 8 hours in now. t starts pretty slow, but things are starting to happen...

What Would Kevin Do?
03-26-2006, 07:05 AM
I do love this game.

George is absolutely the shit.

Also, I don't know why, but I love the line "Watch that man in red... there's something suspicious about him " :) :) :) :)

Blitz
03-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Yeah, this is prolly the best Suikoden. The characters are great, the plot is damn interesting, tremendous dialogue...