PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION - Will Chris Benoit be destined to turn HEEL after Wrestlemania?

Heyman
01-28-2004, 04:30 PM
<font color=white>The following may contain Raw and/or Royal Rumble spoilers. </font>

QUESTION - Will Chris Benoit be destined to turn HEEL after Wrestlemania?

Ok.

So here is "what we know" (or what he can safely assume).

-Chris Benoit is a part of the Raw brand now
-Chris Benoit will 'most likely' win the Raw World title at Wrestlemania.
-There is a strong chance that Triple H will be gone for a bit after Wrestlemania, while Goldberg may not even be a part of the WWE (let alone Raw).

So..........Chris Benoit would be a face World champion, with no Triple H or Goldberg on the show.

<font color=white>Who becomes Benoit's future opponents? </font>

Faces on Raw
-Shawn Michaels
-Jericho
-RVD
-Booker T
(Foley?)
(The Rock?)
(Austin?)

(I list Foley, The Rock, and Austin because they still have 'face images'.....even if they no longer wrestle on a full-time basis......they still oppose heels).

Heels on Raw
-Kane
-Randy Orton
-Dave Batista
-Matt Hardy
-Christian
-Test
-Steiner

So - you've to ask yourself............is it in Benoit's best interests to stay face after Wrestlemania?

Benoit vs. Kane would be lackluster IMO. Orton will still work in the mid-cards. Batista is a homosexual, while Matt Hardy, Christian, Test, and Steiner are unsuitable opponents.

Benoit vs. Jericho would make the marks' penises erect, as would Benoit/Shawn Michaels. Benoit and RVD have also had some decent matches in the past. Maybe Benoit and The Rock can go at it once more (before The Rock leaves), while Benoit and Foley could go at it as well.

Benoit can look 'ungrateful' by being a dick to Austin (since Austin was the guy that brought Benoit to Raw and gave him props).

See where I'm going with this?

Benoit would probably be better suited to being a heel. He can 'shock' the fans somehow a month later?

Maybe this could happen. A month after Benoit wins the title, he is in a match with Shawn Michaels. The two put on a f</>ucking CLINIC. However, Evolution comes out (for apparently no reason). Strangely enough, Evolution starts helping out Benoit. Benoit wins the match.

New Evolution
-Benoit
-Flair
-Batista
-Orton

(Triple H has been kicked out of Evolution due to his loss at Mania').

Speaking of Triple H, he can come back and oppose Benoit as a face as well.

Basically, Benoit would have more 'marquee' opponents as a heel. Unless you want to see awkward heel turns from either Jericho, RVD, Booker T, or (Austin/Foley/The Rock), I think Benoit would be cooler as a heel (kind of like he was in 2000).

Maybe Benoit can become 'obsessed' in staying as world champion (since he's worked so damned hard in becoming it). He will do ANYTHING to stay world champ. ANYTHING! :foc:

Loose Cannon
01-28-2004, 04:45 PM
I don't like this at all:

#1: All of Benoit's face heat he has/had going for him would be killed by turning him heel. It would be like when Angle turned heel during the whole Alliance thing. It just makes no sense to turn a guy who had finally won the title at WM and achieved his lifelong dream to a standing ovation from the crowd. Turning him heel right after that would just confuse the audience IMO. Maybe down the line he can turn heel, but definately not right after he wins the title.

#2: Benoit taking over Evolution would kill the heat Orton's got going for him right now. Orton should be the one to take over Evolution if anyone ever does. Benoit doesn't fit in with Evolution and storyline wise, I don't think Orton would get along with Benoit. Now Orton would be a great opponent for Chris down the line when he gets a couple of more needed victories over some top guys.

I say if Benoit gets the title, make him a "Bret Hart" champion in that he defends the title all the time and NEVER backs down from any challenges. Let him take on all the heels and eventually have a big feud with someone along the way. It would be better if they turned someone else heel, who....I have no clue, to feud with Benoit.

Heyman
01-28-2004, 05:55 PM
I don't like this at all:

#1: All of Benoit's face heat he has/had going for him would be killed by turning him heel. It would be like when Angle turned heel during the whole Alliance thing. It just makes no sense to turn a guy who had finally won the title at WM and achieved his lifelong dream to a standing ovation from the crowd. Turning him heel right after that would just confuse the audience IMO. Maybe down the line he can turn heel, but definately not right after he wins the title.

I was thinking a month after he won the title. I agree that turning him heel could kill all the 'face heat' he has going for him, but do you really want to see Benoit feuding with the likes of Kane, Matt Hardy, Orton, Batista, or (gulp) Test? If this were to happen, the fans may start to perceive the Raw World title as a 'mid-card' title.

Now compare the situation to if Benoit faced guys like Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho, RVD, and even Booker T.

#2: Benoit taking over Evolution would kill the heat Orton's got going for him right now. Orton should be the one to take over Evolution if anyone ever does. Benoit doesn't fit in with Evolution and storyline wise, I don't think Orton would get along with Benoit. Now Orton would be a great opponent for Chris down the line when he gets a couple of more needed victories over some top guys.

If Orton takes over Evolution (and becomes the main guy), then Evolution would become a mid-card stable. If Evolution had a main-event champ with them however, they'd remain as 'elites'. That's why I liked the Benoit-idea.

As far as Orton getting along with Benoit goes, I think the WWE can 'smooth' that over in the storylines. A few years back, Triple H was responsible for orchestrating the 'hit and run' on Austin. After WM-17 however, they had an alliance with one another.

Orton would be a decent opponent for Benoit down the line, but that's still "down the line" (i.e. 6-8 months?). Who faces Benoit NOW?

I say if Benoit gets the title, make him a "Bret Hart" champion in that he defends the title all the time and NEVER backs down from any challenges. Let him take on all the heels and eventually have a big feud with someone along the way. It would be better if they turned someone else heel, who....I have no clue, to feud with Benoit.

If Benoit 'takes on all-comers' (which included guys like Shawn Michaels, RVD, and Jericho), then I think the WWE risks having more fans cheer for the opponents. I don't think this would be too counterproductive (if you recall, Benoit fought Cena a month or so ago and although most fans cheered for Cena, they still cheered Benoit when he won the match), but I think Benoit would get FAR more heat (and would be FAR more over) if he was a heel champ.

With Benoit as a clear cut HEEL, it also makes challengers such as HBK and RVD to get better crowd responses as faces.

Here's what I'd consider doing to Benoit between now, WM, and after WM

-Between now and WM, continue to make Benoit look strong. Have him defeat guys like Matt Hardy, Test, Dave Batista, Scott Steiner, Christian, and even Kane (at this point, Benoit looks EXTREMELY credible).

-At Wrestlemania, have him defeat Triple H cleanly.

-After Wrestlemania, have Shawn Michaels challenge him for the title. At the next PPV, the two men put on a great match, but Benoit wins........with Evolution's help.

-After that PPV, have his feud with Shawn Michaels continue. Benoit defeats HBK in the return match at the PPV. From here, Benoit continues getting solid victories. If Foley is still around, have Benoit defeat Foley. Benoit then defeats a returning Triple H (face) as well. At Summerslam, perhaps Benoit can get a challenge from THE ROCK and beat him as well.

-Meanwhile during this whole ordeal, Jericho and/or RVD have been getting impressive victories themselves. With that in mind, one of these two men then 'step up' and challenge Benoit (and maybe even win the World title?).

The CyNick
01-28-2004, 06:19 PM
Its a bad move to turn Benoit. If the fans get behind Benoit, and then you just swerve them for no good reason, the fans are likely going to turn away from the product.

I dont think Benoit can really work as a heel, unless he has a manager at his side like Heyman. You could argue he could have Flair, but Flair has a hard enough time trying to get the fans to boo him. THe other problem is that Benoit is such a great worker its difficult to get fans to boo him. They may not always go apeshit for him, but they know enough to realize that he has skills, and are unlikely to boo him.

The big problem with that scenario is having Chris join Evolution. The whole goal for the booking of RAW this year should be to make Randy Orton THE star on RAW. By having him work Foley and Rock at Mania, he will be on his way, and I would argue he's already on a higher plane than Benoit.

Orton's big move should be taking over Evolution himself, not having someone else come in and become the new leader and Orton still has to play second banana. Orotn needs to be the one who steps up and takes over Evolution himself.

I dont know all the plans the WWE have for 2004, but I am fairly certain HHH will get the title back from Benoit soon after he drops it. Now the timing depends on his filming schedule, but my guess is that by August at the latest HHH will once again be World Champion. So that means Benoit only really needs a couple of big fueds between the Hunter fued and when Hunter takes the belt back.

Kane, while not being an ideal oppenent for a great match would be a candidate, and even Orton as a TV program might be a decent idea (dont have Orton JOB, just have him co9me close to winning, but then the match ends in DQ after interference). Part of the reasoning in bringing over Benoit was so he can work with guys like Orton and Batista and make them look good. I also think a match with Benoit and HBK could be really great, and might do some business on PPV. I know face vs face isn't their usual MO, but it could be done. Another idea would be to turn BT heel and join up with Teddy Long, and they could play off Benoit and BT's old history.

But like I said before, I dont think Benoit is looking at any kind of 8-12 month reign, so they dont really need that many new opponents, it could work like this:

March: HHH vs Benoit
April: HHH vs Benoit (rematch, Benoit wins again)
June: HBK vs Benoit
August HHH vs Benoit (Hunter gets the title back)

Loose Cannon
01-28-2004, 06:28 PM
If Orton takes over Evolution (and becomes the main guy), then Evolution would become a mid-card stable. If Evolution had a main-event champ with them however, they'd remain as 'elites'. That's why I liked the Benoit-idea.

As far as Orton getting along with Benoit goes, I think the WWE can 'smooth' that over in the storylines. A few years back, Triple H was responsible for orchestrating the 'hit and run' on Austin. After WM-17 however, they had an alliance with one another.

Orton would be a decent opponent for Benoit down the line, but that's still "down the line" (i.e. 6-8 months?). Who faces Benoit NOW?

I don't think Evolution being a mid card stable would necessarily be a bad thing. Think back to 97 when DX was a "main event" stable and then when Shawn left and HHH took over it went down to being a mid card stable. But it worked in the mid card and got guys like the Outlaws and X-pac over huge and made HHH a breakout star. Evolution might be a mid card stable if Flair and HHH get tossed, but Orton can cause trouble in the main event scene by getting in main event wrestlers faces, but he would still be wrestling with his I.C. title against other mid carders. Then he could go after Benoit later down the road. Orton has the egotistical young punk character that thinks he's better then everyone, so I don't see why he wouldn't call out the main event guys. He reminds me a lot of The Rock when he took over The Nation.

Now getting back to Evolution for a second. As I was saying about how DX got the Outlaws abd X-pac over, I think The "New Evolution" stable, if they add guys like Cade, Jindrack and Maven, could get them over as well. Except it would be a little bit tougher because they are a heel stable and not babyface. But I could see it working, especially for Jindrack and Cade. They all could basically have the young punk type of character. It would be great for the tag division to have a heel team like them. And rememeber the "New DX" was a heel when they first started out.

So all in all, I would leave Benoit out of the stable. But your right in that he needs a strong heel opponent to feud with before Orton can go after him. You think they can turn someone else heel or maybe even give Matt Hardy a little push, sort of like when Cena got a little push to face Brock fot the title.

AareDub
01-28-2004, 06:44 PM
I don't think Benoit will actually win the title until Backlash. After that he can face HBK with HBK being the heel. The way they brought in Benoit on Raw already created heat between the two.

If HHH is back by August we'll probably see another rematch at Summerslam. If not we have the potential for some great matches even without turning Benoit. I could see them booking a face vs face match between Benoit and Jericho. Then whoever wins would end up feuding with Orton during one of the last few months of the year. But maybe this is all just wishful thinking :lol:

Heyman
01-28-2004, 07:13 PM
I don't think Evolution being a mid card stable would necessarily be a bad thing. Think back to 97 when DX was a "main event" stable and then when Shawn left and HHH took over it went down to being a mid card stable. But it worked in the mid card and got guys like the Outlaws and X-pac over huge and made HHH a breakout star. Evolution might be a mid card stable if Flair and HHH get tossed, but Orton can cause trouble in the main event scene by getting in main event wrestlers faces, but he would still be wrestling with his I.C. title against other mid carders. Then he could go after Benoit later down the road. Orton has the egotistical young punk character that thinks he's better then everyone, so I don't see why he wouldn't call out the main event guys. He reminds me a lot of The Rock when he took over The Nation.

Now getting back to Evolution for a second. As I was saying about how DX got the Outlaws abd X-pac over, I think The "New Evolution" stable, if they add guys like Cade, Jindrack and Maven, could get them over as well. Except it would be a little bit tougher because they are a heel stable and not babyface. But I could see it working, especially for Jindrack and Cade. They all could basically have the young punk type of character. It would be great for the tag division to have a heel team like them. And rememeber the "New DX" was a heel when they first started out.

So all in all, I would leave Benoit out of the stable. But your right in that he needs a strong heel opponent to feud with before Orton can go after him. You think they can turn someone else heel or maybe even give Matt Hardy a little push, sort of like when Cena got a little push to face Brock fot the title.

Good post. :y: The DX analogy is a good one (I was actually thinking about that comparison when I logged off to eat dinner :)).

The question is, who do you elevate as a heel to face Benoit?

Kane is ok, but will the fans REALLY be into a Kane/Benoit feud? Also - will the fans really be interested in a heel Booker T going up against Benoit? (a re-hashed WCW feud). Jericho has just turned face and has something good going with Trish. Might be awkward to turn him heel. Ditto for RVD. The fans love RVD WAY too much.

Heyman
01-28-2004, 07:16 PM
I don't think Benoit will actually win the title until Backlash. After that he can face HBK with HBK being the heel. The way they brought in Benoit on Raw already created heat between the two.

The fans will never accept HBK as a heel anymore. He'd basically be like Flair is now. The reaction would be there, but it would be too lukewarm.

If HHH is back by August we'll probably see another rematch at Summerslam. If not we have the potential for some great matches even without turning Benoit. I could see them booking a face vs face match between Benoit and Jericho. Then whoever wins would end up feuding with Orton during one of the last few months of the year. But maybe this is all just wishful thinking :lol:

I don't mind face/face match-ups, but I think a clear cut heel/face match-up is FAR more productive. It gives greater heat to both men.

Loose Cannon
01-28-2004, 07:28 PM
Good post. :y: The DX analogy is a good one (I was actually thinking about that comparison when I logged off to eat dinner :)).

The question is, who do you elevate as a heel to face Benoit?

Kane is ok, but will the fans REALLY be into a Kane/Benoit feud? Also - will the fans really be interested in a heel Booker T going up against Benoit? (a re-hashed WCW feud). Jericho has just turned face and has something good going with Trish. Might be awkward to turn him heel. Ditto for RVD. The fans love RVD WAY too much.

See that's the problem, I have no clue who should face Benoit. HHH has been the top heel for so long and has buried so many babyfaces, no other heel, except maybe Kane, has been able to really step up to a HHH level on Raw. I don't know if the fans would by Booker as a heel as I think he would still get pops. RVD is almost impossible to turn heel and the only way I think you could turn him heel in to start making him wear suits and stop doing all his Extreme moves. It would have to be something along the lines of the Foley heel turn in ECW when he was praising WCW and "Uncle Eric." Kane seems like the only real contender if HHH leaves and until Orton gets a few more big wins.

Like I said in the post before, I wouldn't mind seeing Matt Hardy step up and challenge Benoit, sort of like what Cena did last year against Brock.

Savio
01-28-2004, 08:20 PM
Steiner is an unsuitable opponent.

I think he could have A good PPV/match with benoit

Imagi-Nation
01-28-2004, 10:16 PM
<font color=white>The following may contain Raw and/or Royal Rumble spoilers. </font>

QUESTION - Will Chris Benoit be destined to turn HEEL after Wrestlemania?

Does it make a difference to his character?
He's exactly the same no matter whether he is face or heel.
He still needs to visit a dentist too...

Rock Bottom
01-28-2004, 11:12 PM
Benoit vs HHH: We all know where this would go I think
Benoit vs Michaels: I could see these two having clean matches without really 'feuding' like they hate each other. The whole face vs face and shake hands after the match style. Whoever said something about wanting Bret to come back and congratulate Benoit, lol, be funny as hell if he did it to Benoit beating Michaels.
Booker T: Don't see it happening... Booker is just kind of there right now...
Kane: I would expect the Kane/Taker feud to take quite a while, either that or Taker takes Kane out of action for some time.
The Rock: Would probably be a good way to put Benoit over. (gee imagine that..)
RVD: RVD in a title feud? I wish.
Matt Hardy: Be a good raw match.
Batista: rofl
Orton: Orton is the IC champ and I can't think of anyone on the same level of the card that will take it from him anytime soon.

After looking at all this... I would say be ready for a huge bomb to be dropped sometime before or shortly after Wrestlemania. I can't find a way Benoit going to raw makes any sense.

As far as him being heel or face goes, I don't think it really matters... Benoit will feud with anyone.

ColdwaVer
01-29-2004, 12:20 AM
I'm just sick to death of dominant heel champions and weak-looking face champions.

Heyman
01-29-2004, 01:10 AM
Its a bad move to turn Benoit. If the fans get behind Benoit, and then you just swerve them for no good reason, the fans are likely going to turn away from the product.

Key word is 'if'. Personally - I think Benoit will get a respectable sized pop when he defeats Triple H at Wrestlemania, but I don't think it will be 'massive'. Furthermore, I still believe that guys like RVD, Jericho, and HBK will still be more popular than Benoit.

I dont think Benoit can really work as a heel, unless he has a manager at his side like Heyman. You could argue he could have Flair, but Flair has a hard enough time trying to get the fans to boo him. THe other problem is that Benoit is such a great worker its difficult to get fans to boo him. They may not always go apeshit for him, but they know enough to realize that he has skills, and are unlikely to boo him.

I don't think that's too big a deal. Kurt Angle got 'booed' appropriately when he was a heel. Triple H in 2000 (when he was a decent worker) also got 'booed'. Brock Lesnar is argubaly the greatest 'big wrestler' of all-time, yet he gets 'booed' appropriately. Granted - there will be some face cheers at times, but is that really a bad thing?

Triple H in 2000 was still quite popular.........as was The Rock during his corporate days.....as was Angle during his heel run last year. However - all 3 of these men could be considered great heels.

The big problem with that scenario is having Chris join Evolution. The whole goal for the booking of RAW this year should be to make Randy Orton THE star on RAW. By having him work Foley and Rock at Mania, he will be on his way, and I would argue he's already on a higher plane than Benoit.

True, but Orton won't be near the main-event level for quite some time (maybe 6 months-year?). During this time, he can still be a part of Evolution and work 'under' Benoit (to which at a later date, perhaps Orton decides to go after Benoit).

Orton's big move should be taking over Evolution himself, not having someone else come in and become the new leader and Orton still has to play second banana. Orotn needs to be the one who steps up and takes over Evolution himself.

I wouldn't mind seeing that, but then Orton should be main-eventing now (and as we both concluded in the other thread, Orton is probably better off working the mid-cards for now).

I like the idea of 'Evolution' being a main-event stable, because of merchandising power. Ratings do tend to be higher when a 'dominant' stable is running things (i.e. the corporation, nWo, McMahon-Helmsley faction, Corporate Ministry, heel Degeneration X, etc.).

I dont know all the plans the WWE have for 2004, but I am fairly certain HHH will get the title back from Benoit soon after he drops it. Now the timing depends on his filming schedule, but my guess is that by August at the latest HHH will once again be World Champion. So that means Benoit only really needs a couple of big fueds between the Hunter fued and when Hunter takes the belt back.

See?

That is something that I thinmk would really suck. In my opinion, the whole point of MOVING Benoit to Raw is to give the WWE a new main-event superstar. What's the purpose of having Benoit "lukewarmly" win the title at Wrestlemania, only to have him JOB the title back to Triple H in August? (a man who is no longer deserving of being world champion).

If Benoit's JOB's the title, he basically gets put into the same situation that he would be on Smackdown.

As you stated, Benoit would 'most likely' play second fiddle to the likes of Guerrero, Cena, Undertaker, and Edge. On Raw however, Benoit could possibly be behind Jericho, RVD, HBK, and maybe even Booker T (or on 'par' with Booker T). Keep in mind that Raw is also the more 'sports entertainment oriented' show.........not exactly an advantage for Benoit.

Kane, while not being an ideal oppenent for a great match would be a candidate, and even Orton as a TV program might be a decent idea (dont have Orton JOB, just have him co9me close to winning, but then the match ends in DQ after interference). Part of the reasoning in bringing over Benoit was so he can work with guys like Orton and Batista and make them look good.

That's where I completely disagree. If Benoit is fighting guys like Batista, then his reign will be similar to Big Show's from 1999 (where he started feuding with Bossman for the WWF title). Kane and Orton are 'ok', but Jericho and RVD would be MUCH more high profile.

I also think a match with Benoit and HBK could be really great, and might do some business on PPV. I know face vs face isn't their usual MO, but it could be done. Another idea would be to turn BT heel and join up with Teddy Long, and they could play off Benoit and BT's old history.

Booker T turning heel isn't a bad idea, but I don't think a Benoit/Booker T match would draw much either (let alone hold that much fan interest). The worst thing the WWE could do, is re-hash an OLD WCW fued.

Benoit/HBK would be cool to watch. However - it's just pointless to have Benoit defeat a guy like HBK (and create some serious momentum for himself), only to JOB to Triple H (and then go back to square one).

But like I said before, I dont think Benoit is looking at any kind of 8-12 month reign, so they dont really need that many new opponents, it could work like this:

March: HHH vs Benoit
April: HHH vs Benoit (rematch, Benoit wins again)
June: HBK vs Benoit
August HHH vs Benoit (Hunter gets the title back)

If that scenerio happens, I think it will be completely counter-productive for Chris Benoit.

<font color=white>In my opinion, the only way Chris Benoit moving to Raw serves ANY purpose, is to make Chris Benoit into a bonafide main-event star. </font>

Having him in lackluster "mid-card like" feuds with Kane, Orton, and Batista (and then ultimately jobbing the title back to Triple H), will make his title reign a joke. Granted - going over HBK would help his cause, but it still wouldn't 'establish' him PERMANENTLY as a main-eventer.

Heyman
01-29-2004, 01:11 AM
oops, double post

The CyNick
01-29-2004, 01:03 PM
Okay, but you just named virtually every heel on RAW and called it a mid card program. I dont like HHH being on top, but I also dont like paying taxes, unfortunately in life there are certain things that cant be avoided. When talking about future plans you have to realistic, and the reality is, at some point HHH will want 'his' belt back so he can get closer to topping Flair's number of title reigns. And beyond that because he runs the company and can book himself on top whenever he wants.

So, with that in mind, I think HHH sees that he has basically run out of opponenets, and knows its too early to fued with Orton. The solution; bring over Benoit, put him over for a while, and then eventually get the title back. That way Hunter looks like a hero for jobbing (especially if he does it twice like he did with Goldberg), and he'll have some great matches. Then he can get the title back, have another decent reign (by this point maybe Jericho has been rebuilt, and he still has a fued with HBK that could be explored), and then JOB the title to Orton in another high profile fued by Mania next year.

I'd like to see Benoit hold the title for like a year, but that aint gonna happen, again you have to be realistic about the situation. And part of the reality is that part of Benoit's 'job' on RAW is to get over guys like Orton and Batista. That also fits into his title run, because he will be built up as champ, and then when he loses, he can use whatever star power he has to make Orton and Batista look like stars in the ring. Sadly that means he'll settle back to the same upper mid card position he's been in most of his career, but at leats he'll be a former champ, whatever that is worth.

Who knows, maybe as champ he'll set business on fire, and they'll give him a really long run, but again, I'm a realist.

In regards to Orton, I dont think he should be a mid carder, I just dont think he should be World Champ. I mean I can argue that he's already the #2 heel on RAW after Monday, and I think that will be further solidified when he gets put over by Foley. What I would do with him is have him take over Evolution when ever HHH goes off to do his movie, but still be the IC champ. This would elevate the IC title, and at the same time Orton could have some TV matches with Benoit for the World Title, but again fall short of winning the title. However, he would still be in the top mix. Hunter then comes back, wins the title, Orton gets jealous, and eventually leads to their fued.

As for the past heels, I think Benoit is different than all those guys. HHH was hated because he was with Steph, and he was a badass mofo who KO'd everyone with sledgehammers, so people booed him, plus he was up against The Rock most of the time (I could get heat against The Rock). Angle has always been a poor heel IMO. He can get people to chant "You Suck", but they do that when he's a face, so thats not really getting heat. The only time he really gets solid heat is when he's being a coward or a goof, neither of which are effective for main event level heels (his lack of drawing ability will back up that theory). Brock is good at getting heat, but he's got size and can bully people, Benoit doesn't have that, all you see is a smaller guy kicking ass against guys who are usually bigger than him, its hard to go against that. Rock was an effective heel for a time, but ultimately he was turned face by the fans, which is what I think would happen with Benoit, so why bother turning him in the first place?

About old WCW fueds, hey if they were good, why not use them? I'm not saying turning Book is the best idea, but if people accept him as a heel (which is debatable, granted), then why not talk about their past in WCW and use it as the base for a fued in the WWE? If Tom Brady and Jack Delhomme had a big rivalry in college football, dont you think they should use that as part of the build up for the Super Bowl on Sunday? Seems to me that they should. Same thing here.

Loose Cannon
01-29-2004, 01:16 PM
Yeah I was thinking turning Booker heel too to feud with Benoit, but I don't think the audience can by him as a heel. Remember when he first came in to the WWF, he was more of a comedy type heel and not that bad ass heel. They should really push Matt Hardy hard right now and try to make him a top heel. He's got an excellent gimmick to do so and he's got great mic skills right now.

Savio
01-29-2004, 01:28 PM
They need to push stiener.

Heyman
01-29-2004, 01:59 PM
They need to push stiener.

They COULD do that, but seriously. Would you rather see Benoit/Steiner, or something like Benoit/Jericho, or Benoit/RVD, or Benoit/HBK. There's no QUESTION as to which match(es) would be far better from a technical and fan interest standpoint.

Another thing about Benoit/Jericho. Remember back in the day when Triple H/The Rock played 'second fiddle' to Austin/Taker? In 2000, The Rock/Triple H then became the forefrunt, while Benoit/Jericho played second fiddle.

Truth be told, I think a reknewed Benoit/Jericho rivalry would be awesome.

The CyNick
01-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Yeah I was thinking turning Booker heel too to feud with Benoit, but I don't think the audience can by him as a heel. Remember when he first came in to the WWF, he was more of a comedy type heel and not that bad ass heel. They should really push Matt Hardy hard right now and try to make him a top heel. He's got an excellent gimmick to do so and he's got great mic skills right now.

I was thinking if he hooked up with Long, did the whole race angle deal, and used Henry as a heavy who beats people up for him, he might just get over as a heel. Of course he'd have to cut out the Spin-a-roonie.

Loose Cannon
01-29-2004, 03:41 PM
I was thinking if he hooked up with Long, did the whole race angle deal, and used Henry as a heavy who beats people up for him, he might just get over as a heel. Of course he'd have to cut out the Spin-a-roonie.

Oh man, I didn't even see that. Yeah that could work, but it would seem like rehashng The Nation angle a little don't you think? But they already started doing it, so they might as well add a top notch superstar to the angle and continue it. Good Point

The CyNick
01-29-2004, 03:45 PM
Oh man, I didn't even see that. Yeah that could work, but it would seem like rehashng The Nation angle a little don't you think? But they already started doing it, so they might as well add a top notch superstar to the angle and continue it. Good Point

I just figure that Teddy Long is so talented he should be in a main event program. I really dont need to see Mark Henry in title matches anymore than I have to, so at least with Booker you might get some decent matches. Yeah its a Nation ripoff, but Evolution is a Horsemen ripoff, so everything old is new again on RAW.

Loose Cannon
01-29-2004, 03:49 PM
Yeah Long is GREAT and his mic work is definately one of the best if not the best on Raw. He definately deserves to be in a main event program. I really loved the spot on Raw when he came out and helped out Coach a little. It's good to see male managers now and days too.

Heyman
01-29-2004, 03:50 PM
I actually love the idea of Booker T turning heel and joining up with Teddy Long and Mark Henry (I was actually thinking of posting something like that a few weeks back).

However - I still think a Benoit/Booker T match-up would be lackluster......if it was supposed to be a 'main-event' feud.

Sephiroth
01-29-2004, 04:18 PM
They need to push steiner.

I think it would not be a bad idea to have Benoit vs. Steiner at a PPV, or Benoit vs. Jericho or RVD would be cool IMO.