PDA

View Full Version : This will be considered old on many levels, but I like Cena.

Kane Knight
01-12-2006, 09:39 PM
In terms of superstar appreciation threads, the concept is old. In terms of defending someone, old. However, I'd like to make a small observation about John Cena.

Yes. his character sucks. I won't even go in and defend that, but he showed a lot of potential for a long time before they put the belt on him, before be became a pussy little wigger bitch.

And yes, it's at least partially his faule. Cena's supposed to be a lockerroom leader (Which, sodomy aside, he hasn't), and will get more slack than another performer.

But I've honestly got to say, I thought his trade to Raw would be a positive thing now that he wasn't on a show where they had to censor any word that a two year old isn't supposed to hear. Not because I have faith in the WWE, but because I see potential in him.

Hell, even his wrestling was better (Early WWE, or his prototype gimmicks from the clips I've seen) in the past, so clearly he has it. A moveset, though, is pointless. The Rock had five moves, half of themwere shit, but he made us BELIEVE them to some level. Whether or not you think the People's Elbow was stupid, he got millions of people excited when he did his gay little dance.

The Franchise has never been built around someone who is less than a top-notch entertainer, be it Hogan (He done got that charisma), the Rock, or Austin. Even HHH was brilliant in his hayday. It falls on the shoulder of someone with teh talent to entertain, wrestling skills be damned. And I thought Cena was going to be capable of running with the ball.

For whatever reason, I've been wrong so far. Blame him, blame management, blame Triple H, Satan, or the guys who write Rugrats. For whatever reason, he sucks ass, and that's a shame, because this guy has clear potential.

Now, you're not gonna see me bust out "Chain Gang" merchandise or anything, but I think the guy gets sold short a lot, in terms of whether or not he CAN bee a draw, or CAN eb big. Clearly, he can be. Look at the number of folks around here who used to mark out like little schoolgirls for him.

Just that one statement. Cena's got potential, and that's all I want to defend. I won't fight for his stupid babyface gimmick, or defend his record (I could do a better freestyle, and I have a speech impediment...), or defend the way he wrestles.

Destor
01-12-2006, 10:00 PM
I concur. But I am much more optimistic than you so it's not much of a shocker.

Kane Knight
01-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Hey, I give praise where praise is due, and nowhere else. :p

redoneja
01-12-2006, 10:57 PM
As many times as I have typed "I hate Cena" on TPWW, I have to agree. I hate his gimmick, hate his record, and hate the way he wrestles, but I absolutely believe that he has the potential to carry the company through its next "era".

Batsu
01-12-2006, 11:32 PM
I agree.

I saw the potential in Cena when he used to make fun of Test as Mr. "Ruthless Agression". I put part of the blame on WWE though -- when Cena was up top, they tried to make him too much of a babyface. The downfall of all the edgy stars who rise to the top there.

Dave Youell
01-13-2006, 03:52 AM
He was given too much too soon.

IMO he should of stayed at the US/IC level for another year as a heel. I've already compared his style and approach to wrestling as very Rock-Like and his was a much slower progression and in the long run he was more popular because of it.

Turn Cena heel again and have him line up with McMahon, it's not original, it's not the greatest angle in the world, but it would get him over as a heel. The theory being the more over you are as a heel = the more over you will be as a face. Granted there are exceptions though

D Mac
01-13-2006, 03:57 AM
Anyone seen him as "The Prototype"? He probably could'nt go back to something like that after this idiotic gimmick though.

Londoner
01-13-2006, 07:08 AM
I agree with you KK.Part of the problem I think is it didn't feel like there was a chase for the title and it felt like he was just being given it without actually working for it.That's one reason why almost everyone turned against him when he did win it.Also, the someone from the top(probably Vince I would've thought)couldn't deal with the fact that Cena could get himself over, so he got someone else to write Cena's raps for him and give Cena a limited moveset.That's where it all went downhill.

blake639raw
01-13-2006, 11:49 AM
I would like to see WWE bring in Julius Smokes to be in Cena's corner.

JH
01-13-2006, 12:02 PM
i'm a big Cena fan and i was way before any of his rap gimmick
i remember the night he debuted on SmackDown against Angle and i was a fan from that day
i've never got to see his Prototype character but i've heard about it
Cena is my favorite in WWE and always will be no matter what and i've had the chance to meet the guy and i can say for sure he knows that the fans are what really matters and he's a helluva guy to talk to
now if the writers will just let him start busting his own damn freestyles again you'll see the crowd popping like crazy

Y3J
01-13-2006, 07:02 PM
I think i'm in the wrong place.

This looks like a Cena appreciation thread.

:wave:

domononizuka
01-14-2006, 12:44 AM
He wrestled out here under the "Prototype" gimmick for quite awhile.Only real problem with that gimmick was the fact that he had 0 personality.Never had any mic time,was basicaly just a good wrestler who came out and squashed most opponents.But i guess the stable he was in didnt require him to talk much seeing as everyone else did plenty of that.

starfox8500
01-14-2006, 03:17 PM
As many times as I have typed "I hate Cena" on TPWW, I have to agree. I hate his gimmick, hate his record, and hate the way he wrestles, but I absolutely believe that he has the potential to carry the company through its next "era".

:yes:

Corkscrewed
01-14-2006, 08:17 PM
I just hate how he's become a new Mister Hero guy, rather than be what made him popular as a heel. Same old tired cliches get boring no matter how good they initially are.