PDA

View Full Version : TNA Final Resolution thoughts

Fox
01-16-2006, 10:23 PM
Ordered the show last night, here's the rundown:

PRE-SHOW:

Team Canada vs. Lance Hoyt / Kenny King / Jay Lethal
-Good opener to get the crowd hot, but nothing really that special. Kenny King and Jay Lethal are a couple of guys to be watched after.
-6/10

Latin American X-Change (Konnan & Homicide) vs. The Naturals
-I don't like Konnan, but I did enjoy the other three competitors. The Naturals always put on a good show, and Homicide seems to have some talent. Konnan just really, really bugs me though.
-5/10

TNA FINAL RESOLUTION

Generation Next (Austin Aries, Alex Shelley, Roderick Strong) vs.
Chris Sabin / Sonjay Dutt / Matt Bentley
-What a match to open up the PPV. Although it wasn't as good as the GN vs. Styles/Daniels/Sabin match from a few weeks ago, it was still a barn burner of an X-Division match. All three guys from Generation Next impressed the hell out of me, and Sonjay and Sabin were on their game as always. Bentley just looks like a girl.
-8/10

Elix Skipper & David Young vs. The James Gang (Kip and BG)
-Kip tries to be "cool" but only comes off as a jackass throughout the match. "Suck this" just isn't as cool as "Suck it," not to mention it's utterly outdated. This new teaming of the James Gang isn't looking to be anything spectacular. Elix Skipper has talent, he just needs to learn where to use it.
-4/10

AJ Styles vs. Tanahashi
-I've come to expect a lot more out of AJ Styles than this. Tanahashi showed off some cool moves from New Japan, but he eventually succumbed to a half-assed Styles Clash to end a too-short bout.
-6/10

Raven vs. Sean Waltman
-Somewhat entertaining affair, but just a watered down hardcore match when it all comes down to it. Would've been neat to see what would have happened had Sean gone off the rampway in the shopping cart, but I guess we'll never know. The foot-on-the-ropes finish will lead to a Raven return further down the road. This angle is taking forever.
-7/10

Ron Killings vs. Bobby Roode
-Two of the best wrestlers in TNA, and what else to expect but a good match. Only positive things can happen from Killings getting away from the 3LK and trying to make it as a singles wrestler. Roode really shows some promise, and definitely has a career in this business. I'd love to see these two square off again.
-8/10

Rhino vs. Abyss
-Rhino looked like a house of fire here tonight, and the James Mitchell interference was blatant enough to make it seem like Rhino should have and would have won the match if it wasn't for him. Can't help but wonder if they're building up Abyss to eventually feud with Sting. Decent affair, but we've seen better out of both men.
-6/10

Team 3D vs. America's Most Wanted - Tag Team Championship -
-A classic tag team match that would've made any old-school wrestling fan proud. Team 3D really looked like they were ready to take the tag team championship, but didn't do it here tonight, thanks to outside interference. Bubba Ray is a new man in TNA, and is wrestling with a fire that I haven't seen in him since his ECW and early WWE days. If it weren't for the stupid ending, it would've gotten a better score.
-7/10

Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels - X Championship -
-A fast paced, fiery match up that saw some really impressive moves and innovations. Daniels looked like a threat to the undefeated Samoan, and the concussion storyline served him well, as he didn't lose any credibility from this match. With AJ's presence after the match, we can look forward to another Styles/Joe encounter, and maybe even a Styles/Joe/Daniels rematch from Unbreakable. Great match.
-9/10

Sting & Christian Cage vs. Jeff Jarrett & Monty Brown
-An entertaining match, and really a shot of nostalgia for anyone who watched WCW when Sting was the man there. He looks like he's a little bit slower in the ring, but that's to be expected when considering he's 46. Still, Sting showed he can still put on a show, and hopefully this is the start of good things for both the Stinger and TNA. It will be interesting to see how he can hang with the best of them (Samoa Joe, members of Team Canada, Monty Brown, Abyss) when it comes to singles action.
-7/10

Overall Event Rating: 7/10

I'd say it was worth my money (which is more than I can say for the last two WWE PPVs). It didn't feel as fast paced as most TNA events, but you have to believe that that had a lot to do with the debut of Sting in the main event, and they didn't want their fans to be dulled out at that point. Let's hope TNA continues to deliver worth-while PPVs.

Bad Company
01-16-2006, 10:48 PM
who won the sting match?

Cheers :D

Innovator
01-16-2006, 10:49 PM
I seriously though Dusty Rhodes was booking again

So many screwjob finishes....

McLegend
01-16-2006, 10:51 PM
who won the sting match?

Cheers :D
Sting pinned Jarrett

BigChris
01-17-2006, 12:15 AM
I hated the Team 3D AMW finish, but I don't know why really, just know that I was upset that was how it was going to end.

Innovator
01-17-2006, 12:45 AM
I hated the Team 3D AMW finish, but I don't know why really, just know that I was upset that was how it was going to end.From PWInsider.com

--------------------------------

I've written out the whole angle in steps as follows:
- James Storm is out on the floor having been put through a table. Chris Harris is in the ring, and Gail Kim enters. The two fiddle with a bag of powder, in full view of the referee, who stands next to them and verbally protests their planned action.
- Brother Ray kicks the bag of powder, and the substance flies up, blinding Harris and the referee.
- Team 3D deliver their finisher, 3D, on Harris.
- The blinded referee, stumbling in the ring, is thrown down to the mat by Devon, and the referee counts three.
- Chaos ensues, as ring announcer Jeremy Borash helps the referee to wipe off his eyes.
- The referee, who now has clear vision, sees that Chris Harris is on top of Brother Ray, and awards the tag belts to AMW.
So, in order to inject some humor in this situation, I will now shamelessly rip off David Letterman, and from the home office in Orlando, Florida, I give to you.....

THE TOP FIVE THINGS WRONG WITH THIS FINISH

5 - The referee is allowing Gail Kim to walk right into the ring, and makes no real efforts to keep her from becoming involved in the match.
4 - Chris Harris and Gail Kim are making no attempt to hide their planned illegal activity from the referee, despite the rule in TNA (if anyone remembers it) that AMW can lose the belts on a disqualification.
3 - If the referee is blinded, how can he see if someone's shoulders are on the mat to count to three?
2 - The referee counts to three, then spends a minute getting his eyes wiped, turns and sees Harris on top of Ray, so he is assuming that AFTER he has counted to three, Harris continued to lie on top of Ray? Don't most wrestlers get off their opponents after a three count?
1 - If (and it is a big IF) we presume that the referee could see well enough to make the three count, then how does he mix up Brother Ray, who is wearing a black shirt, and Harris, who is not wearing a shirt at all?
If it seems like I am harping on one bad finish, well I am, and with good reason. This is a finish that simply does not look good on paper, yet TNA allowed it to take place. There have been (and will be in the future), finishes that don't work out, or don't achieve the desired result. It happens, and is part of the game when talking about live professional wrestling. However, if you start out with a ridiculous finish, then you have screwed the match before the first wrestler steps out the curtain. Hopefully TNA will learn from their mistakes last night, otherwise, several months of hard work and great shows can quickly be forgotten if they continue down this path.

jerichoholic169
01-17-2006, 10:41 AM
i enjoyed it for the most part.

Really glad they've finally got Raven fired in the storyline - its been building up to that for ages and has been really bugging me that they havent finished it off. Hopefully this whole Jackie Gayda thing will sort it out - maybe have her bring out the new No 1 contender a few months down the line in the form of Raven.

The AMV 3D match was great but the finish was just plain bizarre. Really confusing and WWE style stupid fuck up.

Oh and X-pac still looks the same as he did 10 years ago.