PDA

View Full Version : TNA Ratings ARE IN! Did Sting help them? Or not?

PullMyFinger
01-31-2006, 05:03 PM
Empowered by the first appearance of Sting on national television since the demise of WCW, TNA Impact scored a 1.1 household rating, shattering all existing records for the series. Among Males 18-49 and Males 18-34, the episode garnered a 1.0 rating. The episode captured an average audience of 1.3 million viewers.

PWInsider.com

Congratulations to TNA. I wonder what all the "EVERYONE WANTS ROH GUYS AND WRESTLING!!! NO OLD PEOPLE!" TNA marks are saying now.

Disturbed316
01-31-2006, 05:04 PM
TNA still sucks aload of cock.

PullMyFinger
01-31-2006, 05:05 PM
I don't think TNA sucks, nor do I think it's anything great.

Cool King
01-31-2006, 05:06 PM
TNA still sucks aload of cock.

PullMyFinger
01-31-2006, 05:09 PM
lol You people are a little too harsh on TNA. I do my fair share of criticism, but whatever I guess...to each his/her own.

LK
01-31-2006, 05:22 PM
care factor?

St. Jimmy
01-31-2006, 05:40 PM
^ what LK said. =D

UmbrellaCorporation
01-31-2006, 07:09 PM
I find TNA fairly entertaining now. It still looks somewhat "cheap" to me, if that makes any sense, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Besides, they've actually picked up some pretty awesome guys and utilized them instead of burying them.

I still prefer WWE, even with the odd storylines and backstage politics, but I think TNA is improving quite a bit.

Sting Fan
01-31-2006, 07:51 PM
That is a massive jump really, by the standars of how many viewers TNA actualy has it is amazing and if they can even consolidate that number let alone build on it, it would be a huge and I mean HUGE victory for TNA.

This is the sort of thing that if consolidated will make the WWE and more importantly WWE workers sit up and take serious notice of the "competition".

Kane Knight
01-31-2006, 08:01 PM
WWE isnt going to take notice. Hell, they could get 3 times the ratings before they'd even FLINCH.

Kane Knight
01-31-2006, 08:02 PM
That's not bashing TNA, either, for all you mopey pussies out there.

Look at what it took for WWF to take notice of WCW as serious competition.

loopydate
01-31-2006, 08:36 PM
How many of those new people will watch this weekend now that Sting has "retired" though?

I mean, if we're assuming (correctly) that casual fans watched last week to see Sting, what motivation do they have to come back now that Sting ostensibly isn't with them anymore?

Kane Knight
01-31-2006, 08:42 PM
How many of those new people will watch this weekend now that Sting has "retired" though?

I mean, if we're assuming (correctly) that casual fans watched last week to see Sting, what motivation do they have to come back now that Sting ostensibly isn't with them anymore?

Well, we'll see this week what hjappens. I think even casual fans know Farewells in wrestling are about as legit as deaths in comic books.

loopydate
01-31-2006, 08:50 PM
I suppose that's true.

Kane Knight
01-31-2006, 09:05 PM
I think it was stupid of them to do that though. They're essentially banking on his popularity, but banking that his "departure" won't ruin the interest.

Corkscrewed
01-31-2006, 09:11 PM
I know this is huge for them, but I can't help but laugh at how a "1.1" rating "shatters" all old records. :lol:

RP
01-31-2006, 10:03 PM

Daniels Styles and Joe angle

Jackie Gayda has a intresting angle going with Jarrett believe it or not.

And AMW Dudleys and the Canadaians have a good little thing going. I'll be watching.

I'm really enjoying the up an comers on TNA also. SPecifically Bently and Sabin and Alex Shelly.

There is pretty of reason to watch and for those who says TNA sucks. I pose the question. Compared to what.. certainly not WWE, because to be honest. WWE sucks horribly. There in ring matches are so subpar right now i cant even stay intrested beyond the intro's. That product is going down the toliet IMO.

loopydate
01-31-2006, 10:07 PM

And AMW Dudleys and the Canadaians have a good little thing going. I'll be watching.

I'm really enjoying the up an comers on TNA also. SPecifically Bently and Sabin and Alex Shelly.

There is pretty of reason to watch and for those who says TNA sucks. I pose the question. Compared to what.. certainly not WWE, because to be honest. WWE sucks horribly. There in ring matches are so subpar right now i cant even stay intrested beyond the intro's. That product is going down the toliet IMO.

Yeah, but the people who tuned in for the first time just to see Sting don't really care about any of the rest of that. They might over time, but their one reason for watching just retired.

Sting Fan
01-31-2006, 10:09 PM
Your right KK this jump wont worry WEW but holding those viewers will send warning bells out in some places because it means people arent staying to see Sting they are staying to see TNA and wether WWE, or anyone for that matter wants to acknowledge it that is a disturbing trend for the WWE.

And when I say it will make a difference to WWE and WWE workers im talking years (possibly decades) not week or months down the track.

Boondock Saint
01-31-2006, 11:18 PM
I've noticed something. I DVR WWE and TNA, since I'm not home when they're on. After watching RAW today I realized with WWE I fast forward the matches and watch the "story" parts, and with TNA I fast forward the "story" and watch the wrestling.

Not even with matches like Benoit/Orton from SD. I may watch bits of it but not the whole thing. If it wasn't on DVR I'd watch it and prolly enjoy it a lot. But I just don't feel the need.

Kane Knight
01-31-2006, 11:23 PM
I know this is huge for them, but I can't help but laugh at how a "1.1" rating "shatters" all old records. :lol:

Me too, but this is good ratings, especially for their shitty time slot.

Those angles would not hook a casual viewer who came in to see Sting, since they were hardly touched upon. You'll be watching, but these were not quite big enough to hook the people we were talking about.

Your right KK this jump wont worry WEW but holding those viewers will send warning bells out in some places because it means people arent staying to see Sting they are staying to see TNA and wether WWE, or anyone for that matter wants to acknowledge it that is a disturbing trend for the WWE.

And when I say it will make a difference to WWE and WWE workers im talking years (possibly decades) not week or months down the track.

You're assuming an awful lot.

The Mackem
02-01-2006, 08:13 AM
Yeah, but the people who tuned in for the first time just to see Sting don't really care about any of the rest of that. They might over time, but their one reason for watching just retired.

Yeah but TNA are all about getting people to know that they actually exist first which is the first step. It's up to TNA that everything around Sting's appearance was interesting enough to get people to tune in next week even if it is only a small percentage of the people that tuned in to see Sting.

Londoner
02-01-2006, 08:38 AM

Well considering they've just recently got a proper TV deal, it's not that laughable.I like TNA and am even getting used to JJ though he still sucks.I'm just glad i'm not part of the WWE crowd that doesn't know how to give constructive criticism and ends up saying 'TNA sucks!!

Xero
02-01-2006, 08:51 AM
Well considering they've just recently got a proper TV deal, it's not that laughable.I like TNA and am even getting used to JJ though he still sucks.I'm just glad i'm not part of the WWE crowd that doesn't know how to give constructive criticism and ends up saying 'TNA sucks!!
Where's that "constructive criticism" you should be giving to Jarrett? :roll:

Londoner
02-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Where's that "constructive criticism" you should be giving to Jarrett? :roll:

JJ doesn't deserve constructive criticism, we all know why he's hated.I've given enough reasons in the past anyway.But I'll give you them now just to stop any argument.

I hate him because 1) he's boring and doesn't even try to get over as a heel, 2)he's been in the title scene for what, 4 years now?He doesn't have the talent for that. He should be midcard at best. 3) He's only the champ all the time because his father is part of the business ain't he?(if i'm wrong on that then forgive me, i think i remember reading that somewhere though)4) What other talent has he put over?

Happy now?

Johnny Vegas
02-01-2006, 09:41 AM
lol i am not a TNA smark, and Sting is one of my top 5 favorite wrestlers of all time...

But how old is he?

PepperCarrotMan
02-01-2006, 12:29 PM
From the newsboard :

- The debut of Fit Finlay on WWE Friday Night SmackDown! caused a 500,000 person spike in viewership.

Sting might be able to get a few extra viewers, but Finlay got 500,000 viewers cause he's giving new meanings to the term FIGHTING IRISH

owenbrown
02-01-2006, 12:35 PM
JJ doesn't deserve constructive criticism, we all know why he's hated.I've given enough reasons in the past anyway.But I'll give you them now just to stop any argument.

I hate him because 1) he's boring and doesn't even try to get over as a heel, 2)he's been in the title scene for what, 4 years now?He doesn't have the talent for that. He should be midcard at best. 3) He's only the champ all the time because his father is part of the business ain't he?(if i'm wrong on that then forgive me, i think i remember reading that somewhere though)4) What other talent has he put over?

Happy now?

This sounds vaguely like when he was the champ in i dunno.... WCW back in 2000.... but back then....

1) now that I think about it... back then was basically the same as now

2) he was only in the title scene for the better part of about the final year of WCW ....

3) In WCW, wasn't Vince Russo his best buddy be the possible reason he was champ?

and 4) I believe the only talent he really got over in WCW in 2000 was Booker T. and that was largely in part to the Russo/Hulk Hogan (now worked) Shoot at Bash at the Beach that year.

Shadow
02-01-2006, 02:17 PM
From the newsboard :

- The debut of Fit Finlay on WWE Friday Night SmackDown! caused a 500,000 person spike in viewership.

Sting might be able to get a few extra viewers, but Finlay got 500,000 viewers cause he's giving new meanings to the term FIGHTING IRISH

Oh gods...someone approved Somebody's Gotta Die's other account.

PepperCarrotMan
02-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Fools.

You misunderstand the power of FINLAY.

FINLAY has more then one fan, remember the name

Kane Knight
02-01-2006, 02:52 PM

Oh great, another Bash TNA thread. :roll:

Londoner
02-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Oh great, another Bash TNA thread. :roll:

Er, JJ is a wrestler, JJ isn't a whole part of the company, like the music department is.(for anyone who doesn't understand what im on about, do a search)

Kane Knight
02-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Er, JJ is a wrestler, JJ isn't a whole part of the company, like the music department is.(for anyone who doesn't understand what im on about, do a search)

Right. The music division is a part of the company. Exactly the point.

Xero
02-01-2006, 03:32 PM
And just like the writing team is PART of the company.

It goes the other way, too. AJ, Joe and Daniels are PART of the company, not the whole. Just because THEY'RE good doesn't mean the whole COMPANY is good.

(That is an example, mind you.)

McLegend
02-01-2006, 05:32 PM
I'm surprised no one has said anything about Sting's promo. I mean it was actaully good and kinda surprising since Sting isn't supposed to be the best talker in the World. Maybe in Sting's hiatus he has developed mic skills?

loopydate
02-01-2006, 06:08 PM
I'm surprised no one has said anything about Sting's promo. I mean it was actaully good and kinda surprising since Sting isn't supposed to be the best talker in the World. Maybe in Sting's hiatus he has developed mic skills?

People may mock it, but evangelism has a way of bringing out someone's inner charisma. I think spending the last five years touring the country and speaking at churches and whatnot has absolutely improved his talking ability.

Kane Knight
02-01-2006, 06:25 PM
People may mock it, but evangelism has a way of bringing out someone's inner charisma. I think spending the last five years touring the country and speaking at churches and whatnot has absolutely improved his talking ability.

I don't think it's limited to evangelism.

Xero
02-01-2006, 06:32 PM
The problem I see with the "new" sting is that he's more like the first/Red and Black Sting and not the Crow Sting. The Crow gimmick is supposed to be dark, and he seems to cheery to me.

I'd like to see him go back to his first colorful facepaint and attire rather than stick with a drastically modified Crow Sting...

Kane Knight
02-01-2006, 06:46 PM
I haven't seen enough to really judge, but I'm betting Crow sting will draw based on look alone, so he's probably here to stay...

Oh...right...He quit.

Xero
02-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Oh yeah, his look will draw in the former fans, no doubt. But him talking doesn't even fit his look. Hell, he doesn't even have the long black hair. It's now short and brown... I just hope they change his look (down the line) for the sheer fact that his gimmick and look don't go well together.

Kane Knight
02-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Just look at it this way...It's less retarded than the "new" Undertaker.

Xero
02-01-2006, 07:08 PM
I don't know. That hair beats out Taker's hat in the "doesn't go with his persona/gimmick" department...

Kane Knight
02-01-2006, 07:21 PM
I dunno. The Tank Top, the cowboy getup, and the Zombie act?

Xero
02-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Okay, you got me.

And I wouldn't say "Zombie" act. I'd say it's more like a "First Christmas Episode of South Park" Kenny act...

Kane Knight
02-01-2006, 07:34 PM
OMG THEY KILLED TAKER?

I don't get the ref, so...

Xero
02-01-2006, 07:42 PM
In the first Christmas episode of South Park Kenny kept getting very close to death. Things almost falling on him, etc. But he never died.

Kane Knight
02-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Actually, did you ever see the Naked Gun?

Because he kind of reminds of of Nordberg, bow that you've mentioned that.

Kane Knight
02-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Now. This is a new, tiny keyboard (My old one broke last night), and I'm having trouble adjusting.

Shadow
02-02-2006, 02:11 AM
You said that last night.