PDA

View Full Version : Pixar and Disney Part

MrMeJW
01-29-2004, 09:48 PM
After nearly a year of negotiations, Pixar Animation Studios has ended its talks with The Walt Disney Company to extend their existing five-picture deal and will begin negotiations with other studios to distribute its films beginning in 2006.

"After ten months of trying to strike a deal with Disney, we're moving on," said Pixar CEO Steve Jobs in a statement released today. "We've had a great run together -- one of the most successful in Hollywood history -- and it's a shame that Disney won't be participating in Pixar's future successes."

Pixar owes two more films to Disney; Brad Bird's The Incredibles, due this November, and Cars, due in 2005. After that, Pixar is free. Under the terms of the existing agreement, Disney will retain the rights to distribute Pixar's first seven films, with Pixar continuing to receive its current share of the profits.

Interestingly, Disney will also have the rights to solely finance and produce sequels to the films if Pixar declines to co-finance and produce them under the terms of the current agreement. Let's see them try to get away with making a sequel to Finding Nemo.

To date, Pixar's five films -- Toy Story, Toy Story 2, A Bug's Life, Monsters, Inc. and Oscar nominee Finding Nemo -- have earned more than $2.5 billion at the worldwide box office and sold over 150 million DVDs and videos.

source: IGN

Mikey
01-29-2004, 09:51 PM
I really hate to see those two part ways they made some great movies together

samichna
01-29-2004, 09:51 PM
Eisner's gonna be in some even hotter water now than he was before

Funky Fly
01-29-2004, 10:12 PM
Disney is fu</>cked.

Kane Knight
01-30-2004, 09:46 AM
SWEET!

Sorry, I like Pixar, so I'm happy they're no longer with Disney.

BTW, I heard that Disney's shutting down their last hand-drawn studio at the end of the year too. They could be REALLY fu</>cked now.

Tornado
01-30-2004, 09:57 AM
SWEET!

Sorry, I like Pixar, so I'm happy they're no longer with Disney.

BTW, I heard that Disney's shutting down their last hand-drawn studio at the end of the year too. They could be REALLY fu</>cked now.
<font color=#33ffff>I think it's already happened. The Animation Studio at Disney Studios in Florida shut down late 2003 or early this month I think. Either that or it is shutting in the very near future, I know that Brother Bear was to be the last florida-produced film.
It sucks to see Disney abandoning the hand-drawn technique in the favour of going all digital, but thats they way most animation is heading.....</font??

Kane Knight
01-30-2004, 10:11 AM
<font color=#33ffff>I think it's already happened. The Animation Studio at Disney Studios in Florida shut down late 2003 or early this month I think. Either that or it is shutting in the very near future, I know that Brother Bear was to be the last florida-produced film.
It sucks to see Disney abandoning the hand-drawn technique in the favour of going all digital, but thats they way most animation is heading.....</font??

I don't think their Florida house was the last one though. I think that was shut down in 2003.

Tornado
01-30-2004, 10:26 AM
Yeah, you're probably right.

<font color=#33ffff>Isn't there still one left in Burbank?</font>

Kane Knight
01-30-2004, 10:28 AM
Yeah, you're probably right.

<font color=#33ffff>Isn't there still one left in Burbank?</font>

I think so.

I'm uncertain though.

Kane Knight
01-30-2004, 10:33 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=2066968

Apparently, the remaining artists are being move to Burbank, so you would be right.

Tornado
01-30-2004, 10:35 AM
I read on the boards at wdwmagic.com that the one in Florida was shut, and Brother Bear was indeed the last film produced there. Shame really as it was a nice addition to the the Disney Studios theme park. The Animation Tour is still running, but without animators, seems a bit pointless really. At least the Studios still has Rock n RollerCoaster and Tower of Terror....:y:

Anyway, I hope Disney keeps the hand-drawing studio they have left. Disney Animatio has such a rich heritage, and it would be sad to see it end.

Back on topic, Pixar rock. I'm glad they split from Disney, they get to do their own thing now. No doubt Disney will still pimp the **** out of Toy Story, Monsters Inc, and Finding Nemo.

Kane Knight
01-30-2004, 10:58 AM
I read on the boards at wdwmagic.com that the one in Florida was shut, and Brother Bear was indeed the last film produced there. Shame really as it was a nice addition to the the Disney Studios theme park. The Animation Tour is still running, but without animators, seems a bit pointless really. At least the Studios still has Rock n RollerCoaster and Tower of Terror....:y:

Anyway, I hope Disney keeps the hand-drawing studio they have left. Disney Animatio has such a rich heritage, and it would be sad to see it end.

Back on topic, Pixar rock. I'm glad they split from Disney, they get to do their own thing now. No doubt Disney will still pimp the **** out of Toy Story, Monsters Inc, and Finding Nemo.

Lilo and Stitch is one of my favorite Disney movies. My GF likes watching it like weekly. It's a shame to see these studios shutting down, and Eisner's getting blasted by Disney's heir.

I fear for the future of hand-drawn animation. CGA just isn't as cool right now as some of the fine pieces put out by hand. Some of it is, most isn't.

They'll still milk their animation history...Until they have enough CG history to make their mainstream claim to fame. Might be hard without Pixar...

Tornado
01-30-2004, 11:10 AM
<font color=#33ffff>Havn't got round to seeing Lilo and Stitch yet, but i've heard good things. Aladdin will always be my #1 Disney film
I'm going to WDW for easter, so i'll hunt down Eisner (if he's there) and shove a Buzz Lightyear doll up his arse...</font>