PDA

View Full Version : Amateur Wrestling

BCWWF
01-29-2004, 11:32 PM
Has anyone ever been to an ametuer wrestling meet before? I ended up going to a meet at my school for the first time ever tonight, and it was kind of cool. All the lights in the gym were off with a solo light hanging above the squared circle. It was all badass, and it was fun to yell shit from high up in the stands. The only problem was that I was expecting a friend of mine to pick up a chair and go turn on his teammate the whole time. Meh, any thoughts or opinions?

HeartBreakMan2k
01-29-2004, 11:35 PM
I do wrestle so yeah. :p

They are fun as hell to watch, even though I rarely just watch for fun now. I always am there to scout my opponent.

I do MMA too. :y:

DaveWadding
01-29-2004, 11:38 PM
uh..its not a squared circle. It's a circle.

BCWWF
01-29-2004, 11:40 PM
Isnt it technically called the squared circle because it is a circle inside a square? If not, flame me some more.

Rob
01-30-2004, 02:08 PM
They tried starting it at my old school but only one person showed up

Bad Guy
01-30-2004, 02:09 PM
I wrestled.

DaveWadding
01-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Isnt it technically called the squared circle because it is a circle inside a square? If not, flame me some more.
No, pro promotors coined the term "squared circle" to liken pro wrestling to amateur by comparing their square ring to the amateur's circle.

BCWWF
01-30-2004, 04:42 PM
My bad. I was talking to the old wrestling coach asking if he could beat me up and he told me that when he met me in the squared circle...etc etc etc, so I assumed he was talking about the mat

AareDub
01-31-2004, 11:24 AM
I wrestled for 2 years in High School and 2 years in college. I still wrestle in freestyle tourneys during the summber, but it's just not the same as going to meets with a team.

Wrestling meets are great, but if you really want to experience amatuer wrestling you should go to a big High School tournament. They usually have at least 4 mats for the varsity guys and 4 mats in a different room for junior varsity. They wrestle late into Friday night and pick it right back up at 9am on Saturday morning. I can't even put into words how cool it is, you should definitely check one out if you get the chance.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-31-2004, 01:17 PM
Ive been to a few..personally thought it was pretty boring :meh:

HeartBreakMan2k
01-31-2004, 04:52 PM
Oh and the "fun" factor of amateur wrestling for the fans really depends on the school. At my school, our team is very well respected and as result the school puts a lot into our meets, you could see the gym full. However on the same token, some of the teams who aren't as respected, their schools treat the sport like crap. I've gone to one school where there were 12 people in the stands, hell our school even uses our cheerleading squad at our meets.

AareDub
01-31-2004, 09:37 PM
I went to one of the schools with the most losses in High School football history, so wrestling was a huge deal (because it was the only thing the school was good at). The stands were always packed in our tiny little gym. The problem was that I went to a very underfunded Ft. Worth public school and since there weren't many other teams in our division we always wrestled over funded Dallas private schools where the kids have been brought up wrestling since elementary school.

A lot of the more experienced, better funded teams looked down on us. So the crowd was always really into it when the stuck up schools came in and got their asses handed to them.