PDA

View Full Version : New Interview with Matt Burns

Sadistic
02-09-2006, 06:35 PM
No one else posted this? I guess I will

It is actually a good read, I wouldn't post it otherwise.

This is from http://www.live4wrestling.com/ (http://www.live4wrestling.com/editoriali/Raffy)

1) How did you start following wrestling and what led you to try to start a career in this sport?
I grew up in Pennsylvania, and a friend got me into ECW. I never liked wrestling before this. I decided that it looked like something I could do and have fun with, so I went after it. I guess you could say I got into wrestling because I was afraid of living a "boring" life at the time.

2) What led you to wrestle in ultraviolent matches, knowing the consequences that such matches can have on a wrestler at a phisical and psycological level? How did all of this influence your life, expecially in the periods near such matches? Have you ever felt demotivated or have you regreted taking some dangerous spot, like the one with John Zandig at the Tournament Of Death 2?

It was the risk-taking, thrilling part of ECW that interested me, so I naturally gravitated toward that style when I got into wrestling. It has definitely had negative affects on me physically and psychologically, but I'm doing a lot better w/ the recovery as of late. I can't really say I regret anything I did in the ring. Would I do them again? No. It was foolish of me to put my life on the line so many times the way I did. ...as to how the violence influenced or affected my life, well, it leads to a strange obsession that is hard to describe. I guess I can compare it to an addiction to something that you know is terribly damaging to your body, but you still long for it. That's why I decided to get out. It really is a rabid addiction.

3) What did you feel in the first match of your wrestling career and in your last match, at the Tournament Of Death 2 in the finals against Ian Rotten? Getting in this match, did you think that it could have been the last of your career?

In my first match, I was so nervous I didn't even want to walk through the curtain. My last match was emotional for me, even though I didn't show it. My head was pretty scrambled from the fall off the roof, but I believe it or not had to fight from crying on my way to the ring. And yes, I knew it would be my final match. That's why I wrote "dead" on my forehead instead of "sick" when I wrestled in TOD2. I had decided it would be my final match maybe 3 months before the tournament even occured.

4) In your career you have proved to be able to wrestle a lot of wrestling styles, and this surely helped you getting very popular with the fans of the federations you were working for. Between these styles, which is the one that you like the most?

My favorite style is the spotty stuff mixed in with the death match style, like Messiah and I displayed (especially in our match we had in California). There are very few guys who can mix both well.

5) Wrestling surely requires a lot of sacrifices, but it can also give you a lot of satisfactions. What are you missing from the time you were a wrestler and what you don't miss at all? Which were the best satisfactions your wrestling career left to you?

I miss the "quick fix" of getting a reaction from a crowd. I miss coming up with spots that make a crowd go "ohhh!" I miss getting into character. I miss a lot of the fans I would chat with in Philly...that was fun. BUT, I don't miss hurting all the time. I don't miss being terrified about mixing blood with people I barely even know. I don't miss making my father and sister worry, and making my mother cry. I don't miss the feeling of not being where I'm supposed to be in life...I I always had that feeling when I was a wrestler. The achievements and the fan-praise can only silence that feeling to a certain degree, then you have to face up to it.

6) You have always been very loved by fans, who are still praising your name, how does this make you feel? Which was the night in your career in which you felt the fans' heat the most?

It makes me feel good and uncomfortable at the same time. I appreciate talking to the more casual fans, but don't think it's a good thing when people praise me for more than I am. ...I felt like the crowd was behind me at TOD2 probably more than any other night in my career. That was a cool send off.

7) Are you still watching wrestling nowadays? If so, what are the federations you watch? What do you think about the actual american and non-american wrestling scene?

I really don't watch wrestling anymore.

8) In the years you spent in the wrestling world you have surely met a lot of new persons, of all the kinds. Who is the best person you have ever met in this business and why? Also, if you can tell us, who is the worse?

The best person I met was definitey Rain, who I dated for 3 years. It would take me a while to explain why. ...I'd rather not talk about who I think the worst is.

9) Which was the best advice you have ever received in your career in wrestling, in cinematography and in life? Are there any persons you should thank in particular for the success you have had in your career?

Wrestling - Zandig, "indy wrestling is a nice place to visit, but you don't want to live here."

Filmmaking - nothing that stands out. I'm still figuring that one out.

Life - Proverbs 10:39 "If you cling to your life, you will lose it. If you give it up for Me, you will save it."

I am thankful to those who truly cared about me and loved me, and to the Lord for keeping me from serious injury and for helping me to get out of wrestling.

10) Why did you choose "Nick Mondo" as your ring name?

I knew a kid growing up named Nick Mondo and always liked his name. ...seriously.

11) How would you describe your actual life style, so different from the one when you were a wrestler? Do you ever wish to come back in a ring?

I like to think I live a pretty disciplined, thought out life now. Much more so than I used to. I think discipline is a very important thing that our society downplays a lot.
And I don't wish to come back to wrestling. I mean, I have urges, but I know better.

12) On April 12th, 2003 you came in Italy for a wrestling stage for Nu Wrestling, what impressed you about our country? For what you have seen, did you like it? Do you think you will come back one day? If so, what would you like to do here? A role in wrestling, in some movie, just in vacation...

I'd love to come back to see more. I was only there for like 2 1/2 days, and spent a lot of that time in my hotel, at the hospital, and training students. Didn't get to see much. I really want to see the awesome collections of art that Italy has on display, and I definitely could go for some more of the Italian food and coffee!

13) Two years after retiring from wrestling, how are your relationships with your old friends from CZW? Is there anyone with which you constantly kept in contact?

I don't talk with many people from CZW, but I have kept in touch with Little Mondo and his brother. Both are getting into wrestling now. I speak with Trent and Johnny from time to time, but that's about it.

14) In 2004 you had announced your comeback on a ring for 2 matches with WXW in Germany and IPW:UK in England. These matches unfortunately never happened because of some problems you had with WXW. At the actual moment, do you think there is any possibility in seeing you in another few matches like you should have done last year?

No. It would have been a cool opportunity to go on a vacation with my girlfriend at the time. ...I don't think I'll ever be back in wrestling, for any reason.

15) Another passion of yours is directing, which was one of the reasons that led you retiring from wrestling. Actually, what are you working on and what are your future aims? Which is your favorite movie?

Yeah, that's definitely the career I'm aiming for right now. I'm currently sending my final short film, "The Orb," around to festivals. It's what I feel is the best example of my filmmaking abilities. I just got back into working on Fighting the Still Life, and it will be my main focus until it is done. I'm very excited about that project again. I have a guy who's trying to sell it for me, so I have to have a really good trailer ready for him by early next week. There's a company that expressed interest already, so we'll see. It would be awesome to sell it. ...Favorite film is too hard, so I'll list several. The Professional, The Ice Storm, Fight Club, Lost in Translation, Blade Runner, Amelie, The Burbs, Donnie Darko, The Conversation, Garden State, 28 Days Later, The Graduate.

16) Please tell us something about your movie, Fighting the Still Life. What is it all about? What would you say to somebody to convince him to watch your movie?

It is in a lot of ways an autobiography of my life, and my struggle with getting free from the violence that plagues me. I think it is one of the few films out there that mixes action with quality drama and a very solid story. I spent an entire year working on the script, and filtered it through quite a few people that I admire. I can't wait to finally get the film out to the public.

17) Word Association:
- CZW dying - (unfortunately)
- WWE Ken - Kennedy
- Ultraviolence - Today, Necro Butcher
- John Zandig - frustrated
- Messiah - wonder how he's doing
- Ian Rotten - whatta forehead!
- M-Dogg 20 - athletic, fun guy
- Jun Kasai - one of wrestling's friendlier guys
- Sabu - broken
- Italy - painting, good food, funny cars
- Fighting the Still Life - $$$ (hopefully)
- Matt Burns - adjusting to a lot of changes in life
- "Sick" Nick Mondo - behind me

...Very clever, unique interview questions. I appreciate that. Hope the answers suite you. To the fans, thank you for staying in touch, and I wish you all the best.

Xero
02-09-2006, 06:37 PM
If wrestling is behind him why is he still doing interviews?

Sadistic
02-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Because his fans still had un-answered questions and instead of being an asshole he actually answered them?

Xero
02-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Why should he answer wrestling fans if wrestling's behind him? That seems to be below the big "I'm a movie director" thing...

Xero
02-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Oh, and Lance Storm doesn't care about CZW. :D

Xero
02-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Q: I was reading your latest Q&A and noticed that you said that FMW was one of the worst influences on the wrestling industry. I was wondering what your thoughts on promotions like CZW and FMW are (most specifically CZW).
A: What I’ve seen of CZW I don’t care for at all. I think companies like that hurt the industry on the whole. FMW was the inspiration for such promotions in my opinion, which is why I put FMW on that list.

http://www.stormwrestling.com/122605.html

Blitz
02-09-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm assuming Matt Burns is from CZW?

Xero
02-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Matt Burns is...

NICK FUCKING MONDO

LK
02-09-2006, 06:45 PM
I'm assuming Matt Burns is from CZW?
Does the name Dick Mondo mean anything to you?

Blitz
02-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Ah, alright.

Fuck if I'm reading that whole interview, tho.

Kane Knight
02-09-2006, 07:01 PM
If wrestling is behind him why is he still doing interviews?

Blockbyuster's medical doesn't cover all his medical expenses. Tehy refuse to accept "Nailgun fight" as a "work related" injury.

Kane Knight
02-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Q: I was reading your latest Q&A and noticed that you said that FMW was one of the worst influences on the wrestling industry. I was wondering what your thoughts on promotions like CZW and FMW are (most specifically CZW).
A: What I’ve seen of CZW I don’t care for at all. I think companies like that hurt the industry on the whole. FMW was the inspiration for such promotions in my opinion, which is why I put FMW on that list.

http://www.stormwrestling.com/122605.html

vBulletin Message <!-- main error message --> You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lance Storm again.