PDA

View Full Version : TV Shows The US copied from the UK and viceversa

Drakul
02-17-2006, 11:40 PM
I'm just trying to think of all the shows America copied from the UK and shows that the UK copied from America. By "copied" I mean they got a new cast/name etc so for example the UK never copied Cheers or Family Guy and so on since we get the origonal American version. Some shows aren't official copies but its blatently obvious they are a total copy.
All I have so far is:

Origonal name - Name of the copy

UK to US
Steptoe and Son - Sanford and Son
One Foot In The Grave - The Bill Cosby Show (so I'm told)
The Office
Casualty - ER
Londons Burning - Rescue Me
Whose Line Is It Anyway
Big Brother
Weakest Link
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire
Pop Idol - American Idol
Queer Eye For The Straight Guy
Faking it - Faking it USA
Gladiators - American Gladiators (I'm not 100% on this but the fact that its labeled as American Gladiators, like alot of stuff America takes, I assumed the UK had it first but I may be wrong)
Beadles About - The Jamie Kennedy Experiment

They where going to do Absolutly Fabulous but it was to "Explicit" for American TV, supposedly. They where going to do Porridge aswell but American TV executives thought it made crime look good so the US version of that never got past the pilot episode.

US to UK
Family Fueds - Family Fortunes
Wheel of Fortune
Price is Right

I know theres alot more both from UK to US and US to UK. If I made mistakes, let me know. BTW, if it has USA at the end its most likely the US version of a foreign show. Add more.

Cuzziebro
02-18-2006, 01:47 AM
Well you elimanated all the ones i was going to say and i dont even live in US or UK.

Boondock Saint
02-18-2006, 02:34 AM
There was a US Coupling as well. Friggin atrocious.

D Mac
02-18-2006, 02:55 AM
We don't copy UK shows, we make them better. :p

Boondock Saint
02-18-2006, 02:57 AM
And a US version of Men Behaving Badly.

Till Death Do Us Part - All In The Family

Boondock Saint
02-18-2006, 03:03 AM
And I think I remember reading that American Gladiators came first. For once.

RBM
02-18-2006, 03:22 AM
Well, stuff like ER originated from Michael Crichton wanting to make a movie out of it in the early 70's, but eventually turning it into a television series, so it didn't copy anything.

I've never heard of One Foot in the Grave, but looking at IMDB quick, it says it started in 1990? Cosby Show was on in the 80's, so I dunno.

Rescue Me is a show about New York City firefighters and their lives after 9/11. Pretty sure they weren't copying any other sources with that one.

We definitely did do a remake of The Office and several game shows and some reality things. Distraction is another one you forgot to mention. Hell, we even have Jimmy Carr as the host of the show.

Drakul
02-18-2006, 03:23 AM
We don't copy UK shows, we make them better. :p
I was waiting for a reply like that :p

I have to say that the one thing I think the US took that even slightly improved on the origonal was Whose Line Is It Anyway.

Boondock Saint
02-18-2006, 04:08 AM
I prefer the Brit Whose Line.

But the US Office has been really good. I love the UK one and was really worried this would be terrible. But it is far from it.

Cool King
02-18-2006, 04:27 AM
US to UK
Family Fueds - Family Fortunes
Price is Right

I hate it when America steals our programs.

I heard that Family Fortunes was originally Australian and it was called Family Fueds. But it did really bad over there so we took it.

And The Price Is Right is originally British. We started it in the 1984 but the makers of it had the idea in the 50's, but ITV didn't want it, so America wanted it and they got it. So it first appeared on American T.V but it's originally British.

Tornado
02-18-2006, 04:46 AM
There was a USA-made pilot episode of Red Dwarf, and it was horrible.

Mr. Monday Morning
02-18-2006, 07:04 AM
I think the One Foot/Cosby Show thing is because on one ep they rewrote a One Foot in the Grave script (the one where the tortoise ends up getting burned alive :$)

Drakul
02-18-2006, 12:55 PM
There was a USA-made pilot episode of Red Dwarf, and it was horrible.
They did that? :'(

D Mac
02-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Never heard of it.

Mr. Monday Morning
02-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Hmm, correction, seems there was a show for Bill Cosby based on One Foot In The Grave - <a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115144/">even had one of the writers</a>

RBM
02-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Well of course we copy some successful foreign shows. The only thing that Americans will watch that isn't Americanized is anime it seems. We pretty much copy every damned gameshow though. (please tell me Jeopardy isn't a copy)

Stuff like Big Brother is sort've just a shitty(shittier?) version of 'the Real World'. I don't know why we bothered. At least the Surreal Life has some hasbeen actors and various pseudo famous people.

We actually did air the original version of Absolutely Fabulous for a bit on Comedy Central. We also aired the British version of Whose Line and I believe the people from Trigger Happy TV did a season of the show in America and they aired that here.

We also get the show 'Hustle' on one of the lesser watched channels now.

Rob
02-18-2006, 06:49 PM
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

Dancing With The Stars is a rip off of Come Dancing or whatever it's called now.

Tornado
02-18-2006, 06:59 PM
They did that? :'(

Yeah they only did one episode, and they fucked around with it.

Kryten was in it from the start (and was played by Robert Lewellyn, but all his lines didnt seem as funny).

Some clean cut american guy played Lister, who is supposed to be a useless no-hoper, and another "pretty-boy" american played Rimmer, who is supposed to be a geeky loser.

Oh, and Jane Leeves of Frasier fame played Holly, and just destroyed the part.

Boondock Saint
02-18-2006, 07:00 PM
We also get the show 'Hustle' on one of the lesser watched channels now.

Yeah it's on AMC. Great show.

Downunder
02-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Pimp My Ride UK

IT'S FUCKING AWEFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also the Yanks copied Threes Company (and fucked it up)

Cool King
02-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Yeah they only did one episode, and they fucked around with it.

Kryten was in it from the start (and was played by Robert Lewellyn, but all his lines didnt seem as funny).

Some clean cut american guy played Lister, who is supposed to be a useless no-hoper, and another "pretty-boy" american played Rimmer, who is supposed to be a geeky loser.

Oh, and Jane Leeves of Frasier fame played Holly, and just destroyed the part.

That brings a tear to my eye.:'(

Astley316
02-18-2006, 10:21 PM
They have recently imported Deal or No Deal from the UK, which is on NBC, having just moved from the uk, have to say the uk version is slightly better, theres a lot more tension created in the studio, while there openening the boxes.

RBM
02-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Hey, we have Howie Mandel hosting and he can't shake hands with people without freaking out, so we win.

Drakul
02-19-2006, 01:00 AM
Trigger Happy USA sucks.

Cool King
02-19-2006, 05:41 AM
<s>Trigger Happy</s> USA sucks.

:shifty:

TheNamelessOne
02-19-2006, 05:45 AM
They have recently imported Deal or No Deal from the UK, which is on NBC, having just moved from the uk, have to say the uk version is slightly better, theres a lot more tension created in the studio, while there openening the boxes.
That, and we also have Noel Edmonds.

Anyone else secretly believe that Mr Blobby is the banker?

Drakul
02-19-2006, 06:05 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_television_series_remade_for_the_U.S._market

Drakul
02-19-2006, 06:06 AM
On the subject of Noel Edmonds, did you know there considering bringing back Noels House Party to go up against Ant & Dec?

Cool King
02-19-2006, 08:06 AM
As much as I loved Noel's House Party when I was a young un', I'll keep watching Ant & Dec.

Boondock Saint
02-19-2006, 05:22 PM
You brits seen the show Life on Mars? It's from the same guy that did MI-5 and Hustle, or something. Sounds interesting. Any good?

RBM
02-19-2006, 06:40 PM
And to be fair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._television_series_remade_for_the_British_market

Seems American gladiators was first. also, lol @ Golden Girls remake.

TheNamelessOne
02-20-2006, 08:44 AM
You brits seen the show Life on Mars? It's from the same guy that did MI-5 and Hustle, or something. Sounds interesting. Any good?
Very.

Couple more episodes and its finished. Im not sure if its a one off thing or if there will be another series but so far I am very impressed with it.

Gertner
02-21-2006, 07:20 PM
The Office is so fucking amazing

Mike the Metal Ed
02-21-2006, 07:57 PM

I've seen every episode in the series so far, and it's amazing.

Dave Youell
02-24-2006, 10:18 AM
MI-5 = Spooks right?

Boondock Saint
02-24-2006, 01:35 PM
Yes.

NeanderCarl
03-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Yeah, Ricky, I was thinking the same, althought I doubt larry David has ever seen One Foot... or even if he has, I doubt his intention was to remake it. Probably just transpired that way... the humour has a very different style too, but I see the resemblance.

Boondock Saint
03-15-2006, 11:08 PM
There's a show coming on soon called Teachers. I believe that's a copy of a UK show.

Tornado
03-16-2006, 08:51 AM
There's a show coming on soon called Teachers. I believe that's a copy of a UK show.

Teachers is gold.