PDA

View Full Version : Lets Make A Star Wars Fighting Game!!

Kalyx triaD
02-21-2006, 12:08 AM
I'll start!

Let's have it a completely Jedi/Sith/Witch Sister affair. None of that Masters of Tera Kasi(SP) crap. I want everyone who swung a Lightsaber present, and multiple versions if possible. Which in our game, will be (Double Saber'd Padawan Anikan, Jedi Knight Anikan...).

As far as gameplay, I think we'll all agree to turn to Bushido Blade's example of serious swordfighting. If you lose a limb or a head, you lose. If you're struck in a vital area, you lose. But to ensure playability we'll have to keep some leeway when a lightsaber graces you.

Then there's the force. There can be stuff littered across the arenas that a strong force user can toss at ya (think of Sedious throwing those balchanies at Yoda). Sith lightning has to be in, but limited; the Jedi would be at a disadvantage most of the time.

Aw man, 2 on 1 duels would be the awesome. I'll be back with deeper gameplay thoughts and ideas. And yeah, I just got through watching Episode 3's duels. I love 'em.

D Mac
02-21-2006, 01:07 AM
They have one for PS1 called Star Wars Masters of Tera.

Kalyx triaD
02-21-2006, 01:12 AM
They have one for PS1 called Star Wars Masters of Tera.

That looked up to garbage. You can't honestly be satisfied with that game. Somebody has to feel me here.

Funky Fly
02-21-2006, 03:14 AM
What the gay? Just leave it be. It will never be done right.

Fighting games are always better if they aren't part of a tv/movie/etc license.

The only exceptions are Teenage Mutant Ninja Tutles: Tournament Fighter (a huge Street Fighter 2 rip off anyway) and the Capcom-made Marvel games (although plot and proper movesets are usually missing).

weather vane
02-21-2006, 03:43 AM
Star Wars is cool.

Blitz
02-21-2006, 05:15 AM
Yeah I could go for a well done Star Wars fighter. Imagine how awesome you'd feel fighting with a double bladed lightsaber in something good like the Soul Calibur 3 engine.

Kalyx triaD
02-21-2006, 04:34 PM
So let's give the Star Wars label to a worthy developer. That's how good Star Wars are made. Hell, that's how any license gets to be good.

It can't be American, though.

weather vane
02-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Fuck Star Wars is deadly.

Kalyx triaD
02-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Concepts on Gameplay:

The four face buttons could be attached to a lightsaber attack. While holding the R Trigger and pressing those buttons initiates the block of the attack. In the openning of Ep.3's Obi vs Ani; imagine the Anikan user pressing X and Y back and forth, while the Obi Wan player is defending with X and Y while holding the R Trigger. You have to watch the duel to really get it from my perspective.

Also in that fight, Obi Wan executed a badass grapple when they first entered the Mustafar building. In slow-mo, you could see Obi Wan holding Anikan's hand as he goes for a death blow, but Anikan defended it in a wild block.

Ofcourse, textbook throws would still look strange in a lightsaber duel, so you should be able to try a "Death Grapple" only when engaged in a Lightsaber Clash; that dramatic moment with the two fighters face off with lightsabers interlocked. This would keep throws rare and surprising.

A Lightsaber Clash would occur when two similar attacks are executed at the same time. When interlocked, you'll use the Right and Left sticks to gain an advantage when the hold breaks. No button mashing. If someone attempts a Death Grapple, which can be surprising if you're trying to gain advantage with the sticks. The pull of the R Trigger will save your ass. Frame-shifting R-Trigger to an attack button may execute a reversal. But anyone who plays Soul Calibur knows that'll take practise.

More as it comes to me.

Bad Company
02-21-2006, 10:17 PM
That Episode III game in VS mode is alright. Just needs more characters.

Kalyx triaD
02-21-2006, 10:23 PM
That Episode III game in VS mode is alright. Just needs more characters.

Although it was deeper than I though going in, it was still obviously a slash-'em-up game with a versus mode. I'm going for deep play mechanics.

Gertner
02-21-2006, 10:42 PM
lol wow, if this isn't the ultimate of nerd threads i don't know what is

Funky Fly
02-21-2006, 10:55 PM
That reminds me, I was gonna make a poll about everyone's favourite brand of pocket protector.

weather vane
02-22-2006, 01:21 AM
Funky Fly I fucking love you.

D Mac
02-22-2006, 01:25 AM
lol wow, if this isn't the ultimate of nerd threads i don't know what is

Get the fuck out of our thread or we will start quoting math equations. :mad:

Gertner
02-22-2006, 12:31 PM
hey everybody i need some help!!!! I'm not sure which magic the gathering card i should play!

D Mac
02-22-2006, 12:44 PM
I smite thee.

We don't play that shit that's for wannabes. Original D & D is where it's at.

Kane Knight
02-22-2006, 12:47 PM
I smite thee.

We don't play that shit that's for wannabes. Original D & D is where it's at.

D&D? Neophyte. Chainmail is where it's at.

Fucking wannabe.

Nowhere Man
02-22-2006, 02:18 PM
*slowly puts his Deadlands character sheet back in his Trapper Keeper*