PDA

View Full Version : Huge rumor involving a potential WWE purchase.

What Would Kevin Do?
03-07-2006, 06:15 AM
I don't know where this rumor was started, but it's circulating pretty fast. No one major has reported it yet, so take it with a grain of salt. For now, in this thread, just discuss the potential of it happening, what ifs, what you'd like to see if it happened, etc.

And now for the huge rumor.....

WWE is interested in purchasing New Japan Pro-Wrestling.

(Mind you, NJPW is a mess right now, and is also currently owned by Yukes, the company who produces WWE games. Remember, more likely than not, this isn't true. But discuss anyway.)

Funky Fly
03-07-2006, 06:22 AM
Seems like New Japan (despite currently being a mess) would be worth quite a bit of money. They're probably not going to be able to snag it for a few million like they did with WCW.

And even if they did, it would bever survive because Vince'd make it WWE 2.0 and basically run it into the ground.

However, all of that ^^^ is if you believe in the rumour, which I don't BTW.

What Would Kevin Do?
03-07-2006, 06:31 AM
Quick update.

The story was on the front page of the Naigai Times. And it says that WWE and Vince is making an aggressive attempt to buy out New Japan so it can make it's biggest push into Japan yet... Image is here.... .

http://www.naigai-times.com/today_img/1000209-s.jpg

Dave Youell
03-07-2006, 06:54 AM
Oh shit............

Destor
03-07-2006, 07:16 AM
This is depressing. Especially if it's true. Does this mean Leasnar might be out of work again?

BTW, Where did you hear this anyway WWKD?? (Ya know, I've never seen two question marks be grammatically correct before.)

Xero
03-07-2006, 07:58 AM
I bet this rumor started when Inoki went to Titan Towers a few months back.

The only reason Vince would want it in the long run is it's library, of course. I couldn't see him staging any kind of invasion with their little-known in the US talent. He'd probably bring a few in (more than likely Lesnar) and MAYBE form a small stable. That is, if he does get the roster.

What Would Kevin Do?
03-07-2006, 09:09 AM
I bet this rumor started when Inoki went to Titan Towers a few months back.

The only reason Vince would want it in the long run is it's library, of course. I couldn't see him staging any kind of invasion with their little-known in the US talent. He'd probably bring a few in (more than likely Lesnar) and MAYBE form a small stable. That is, if he does get the roster.

The rumor started due to the article in Nagai times, which ran a day or two ago apparently.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Asahi TV, not Yukes, owns NJPW's video library, or if nothing else, their tv footage. So Vince would have to work w/ them for the footage.

Disturbed316
03-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Wow, didn't know Yukes owned them.

Kane Knight
03-07-2006, 10:17 AM
So they're going to ruin Japanese wrestling now too?

Nark Order
03-07-2006, 10:20 AM
lol, poor Lesnar.

Pepsi Man
03-07-2006, 11:02 AM
This would be interesting, but for NJPW to stay afloat, assuming Vince wants that to happen, he'd have to AVOID completely raiding their roster and bringing them all to the WWE. Of course, he could make it "WWE Japan" or something.

One positive thing is he'd be in competition again. Not in the US, granted, but unlike here in the states, NJPW is not the only major wrestling company in Japan.

Kane Knight
03-07-2006, 11:11 AM
And it'd be hard for Vince to kill the competition over there.

Pepsi Man
03-07-2006, 11:21 AM
And it'd be hard for Vince to kill the competition over there.
It'd take him at least ten or fifteen years.

What Would Kevin Do?
03-07-2006, 11:32 AM
It'd take him at least ten or fifteen years.

Nah, he couldn't do it at all. It's to diversified. NOAH and NJPW are significantly different style wise IMO. Even then, you have comedy feds, plus feds like Dragon Gate which is mainly light weights. Furthermore, most of them aren't having funding problems. Since there's a demand for diversified styles, I don't see it happening.

PureHatred
03-07-2006, 12:23 PM
So they're going to ruin Japanese wrestling now too?

Pepsi Man
03-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Nah, he couldn't do it at all. It's to diversified. NOAH and NJPW are significantly different style wise IMO. Even then, you have comedy feds, plus feds like Dragon Gate which is mainly light weights. Furthermore, most of them aren't having funding problems. Since there's a demand for diversified styles, I don't see it happening.
I'm not saying it's a foregone conclusion or even that it would necessarily ever happen, but to count out Vince McMahon in the wrestling business given his history is just ridiculous. Never count out Vince McMahon.

mrslackalack
03-07-2006, 01:01 PM
It would be great for all the NJ footage to put on WWE DVD's but still a huge shock

Corkscrewed
03-07-2006, 03:16 PM
It'd take him at least ten or fifteen months.

FourFifty
03-07-2006, 04:39 PM
So does this mean Triple H is going to hold down people world wide?
And HBK can complain about (insert someone who'll be relased soon here) not sharing his sushi?
And how many Japanese guys can The Big Show eat in one sitting?

The Naitch
03-07-2006, 08:34 PM
anyone see Lesnar's sword tattoo on the front of his body? I dont know about that

Kane Knight
03-07-2006, 08:46 PM
The penis sword?

Corkscrewed
03-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Yeah. Just proves he's gay.

Kane Knight
03-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Is it wrong that I want to lick his chest and see ow sharp it is?

James Steele
03-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Is it wrong that I want to lick his chest and see ow sharp it is?

As to quote a popular WWE DVD: "The audience was confused, yet interested..."

Kane Knight
03-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Much vomiting ensued.

Xero
03-07-2006, 10:13 PM
As to quote a popular WWE DVD: "Please, don't try this at home."

Boondock Saint
03-08-2006, 02:57 AM
Why is NJPW a mess? Not too UP TO DATE on events over in the land of the rising sun.