PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill

YOUR Hero
04-03-2006, 11:45 PM
I'm liking the commercial.

Anyone think it'll be a good movie?

Is it based on anything, the name Silent Hill sounds familiar.

Danny Electric
04-04-2006, 10:49 PM
It's based on a computer game.
Sean Bean is the man.

YOUR Hero
04-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Yeah I was thinking video game, but I wasn't entirely sure. I'd like to see a good thriller movie. Horror movie if you wheeeeeeeeel, the stuff we're given these days is either pure crap or gore fests.

Blitz
04-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Looking forward to it. From what I've seen it looks quite faithful to the game.

Downunder
04-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Silent Hill on PS One - I fucking loved that game

McDoogle
04-05-2006, 06:02 PM
I thought the game was based on the guy looking for his daughter???

Disturbed316
04-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Saw the trailer at the cinema today, should be the first real decent game to film conversion.

The game was shit scary, so hopefully so will the movie.

weather vane
04-05-2006, 08:21 PM
I hope it is based off the PS1 version. That game was killer.

UmbrellaCorporation
04-05-2006, 09:27 PM
The SH games horrified me, possibly the only thing I've ever had to turn off and finish later, due to being creeped out.

Especially Silent Hill 3.

But all I know is that the movie is going to have Pyramid Head in it. Instant win.

Boondock Saint
04-06-2006, 12:12 AM
I remember the game being really freaky as well. Looking forward to this. However it's still a videogame adapation...

Ninti the Mad
04-06-2006, 12:39 AM
silent hill 2 was the best

tucsonspeed6
04-06-2006, 08:56 AM
But all I know is that the movie is going to have Pyramid Head in it. Instant win.
:love:

Bo
04-06-2006, 09:00 AM
I agree PH is gonna give me a reason for sure and the sound of that big as sword being dragged.

Fignuts
04-07-2006, 03:51 PM
I read an article on this in egm.

The director is a really big fan of the game and is also working very closely with the series creator. He explained why he changed the gender of the main character, but I forgot what he said. I remember the reason made sense to me. Maybe I'll dig the issue out and post the article if I feel like doing the work. Don't count on that.

Blitz
04-07-2006, 06:02 PM
A quote from the EGM interview about changing the lead character's gender:

"We realized after 2 weeks in the writing process that Harry [Mason, the lead from SH1] was actually motivated by feminine, almost maternal feelings. It's not that he's effeminate, but he's acting like a woman. So, if we wanted to keep the character, we would have to change other aspects of him...so to be true to the character, we changed Harry into Rose."

The Heat
04-08-2006, 12:57 AM
I hope it is based off the PS1 version. That game was killer.

Man, don't even get me started on Silent Hill for PS1. There's countless nights I got very little sleep trying to beat Silent Hill[and Resident Evil] on PS1.

I'm not entirely shocked that they would make a movie based on the game, seeing as Resident Evil & Doom were also made and done pretty well. I just hope they pretty much stay true to the game. It sucks when they go off in different directions. You have a perfect script from the game!! Use that.

Lara Emily
04-08-2006, 04:44 AM
A quote from the EGM interview about changing the lead character's gender:

"We realized after 2 weeks in the writing process that Harry [Mason, the lead from SH1] was actually motivated by feminine, almost maternal feelings. It's not that he's effeminate, but he's acting like a woman. So, if we wanted to keep the character, we would have to change other aspects of him...so to be true to the character, we changed Harry into Rose."

Wow what a bullshit reason.

In the end it's not a big deal anyway but it's still a total bullshit reason.

Blitz
04-08-2006, 05:01 AM
Wow what a bullshit reason.

In the end it's not a big deal anyway but it's still a total bullshit reason.

Agreed. Would have been more interesting to see Harry as an everyman type character, not some beefed up action star like they seem to think he should be.

YOUR Hero
04-08-2006, 04:35 PM
It fits better for it to be a women for the movie. For the game, it makes more sense for it to be a guy. Simple really.

Blitz
04-08-2006, 08:15 PM
It fits better for it to be a women for the movie. For the game, it makes more sense for it to be a guy. Simple really.

Why?

YOUR Hero
04-08-2006, 09:49 PM
Because guys play video games, so guys don't want to play video games as a girl. However for the movie the instinct and drive to find a missing child is more associated with a mother.

XL
04-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Really looking forward to this. Out here on the 24th of this month I believe.

Last few films I've been to have been "horrors" (Hills Have Eyes & Hostel) so I've seen a shit load of horror trailers (American Haunting, The Dark, Omen, etc) SH is the one I was waiting for.

I don't remember the first one as well as I do the 2nd. That game remains the only game that scared me.

The thing with the female lead I think is just following current trends. Kinda started with The Ring I believe.

Bo
04-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Guess Im the only one who has seen it so far. If you played any of the games you will follow along perferctly and if you did not you still keep up but with alot of WTF moments. The visual effects are just fucking amazing espcially when the world turns dark. And the music is dead on with the game that fits with elements going on around. But mainly its a bad ass movie.

YOUR Hero
04-23-2006, 12:37 PM
I was waiting for someone to post a review of it. I still want to see it, just haven't had the chance yet.

Triple A
04-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Awful movie.

Like really terrible.

YOUR Hero
04-23-2006, 02:41 PM
that's what I'm hearing from some posters at Rajah too. This is sad for me. I want a good scary movie. :mad/sad:

Loose Cannon
04-23-2006, 02:43 PM
saw that movie Hostel yesterday. haha, what a fucked up movie

Mr. Monday Morning
04-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Haven't played the games, but I had a vague idea of what to expect. Went and saw it with a few friends who've played them all, and they were disappointed with it overall - had a few neat touches but overall not that great, was the general gist of their reactions.

I just sorta sat there with a :wtf: look on my face the entire time. The narrative really started to nosedive towards the end and the ending itself was a bit :wtf:

Also, note to casting directors: do not ask Sean Bean to do an American accent, EVER. Nothing against Sean :love: but his Yorkshire-ness is just too strong.

Fox
04-23-2006, 05:46 PM
It was okay. Like, I don't regret going to see it, but in two weeks I won't be thinking about it anymore and when it comes out on video I'll bypass it with ease.

UmbrellaCorporation
04-23-2006, 07:01 PM
I adore it.

Dunno why everyone says it's terrible. I felt that it was a really good representation of the game, and I loved it. Will probably go back to see it again too. Pyramid Head FTW.

Gonna buy it on DVD when it comes out too.

Bad Company
04-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Saw the trailer at the cinema today, should be the first real decent game to film conversion.

The game was shit scary, so hopefully so will the movie.
You are the man at summing up my thoughts, all the time.

Nark Order
04-24-2006, 10:30 AM
I saw this movie and I was creeped the fuck out. I actually thought it was quite decent for a horror flick. After awhile you start preparing yourself for crazy shit once the darkness comes..

Morgan
04-24-2006, 11:52 AM
I liked it. Sets a new standard in VG to movie adaptations, would like a sequel based on the second game (more Pyramid Head), maybe expand on Lisa Garland.

The script was pretty awful though, I can already see scenes from Scary Movie 5 in it. An Ozzy Osbourne look-a-like (fuck even the real one- he's doing a butter commercial in the U.K :wtf: ) wandering around SH shouting "Sharon!!".

Thought it better than Hostel though, as fucked up as that movie was it didn't really have much of an after-effect on me.

tucsonspeed6
04-24-2006, 03:29 PM
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060420/REVIEWS/60421001

Roger Ebert's got it dead on on this one. If you haven't played the game, you won't get it. But it still has aspects of a really really good movie.

Actually, when I read his article, I couldn't help but think that maybe this time he finally understands what the average moviegoer thinks when critics tell us about how wonderful some almost unheard of foreign movie is. If we go see it, yes we can see how one would think it was really good, but nobody gets what the hell is going on.

Zelda
04-25-2006, 10:56 PM
I always expect good horror movies and they always end up being a deception.

Shadow
04-26-2006, 12:35 AM
I soooooo need to see this movie...I need to see this movie. I really need to see this movie. Like.....desperatly. Anyone wanna go?

Blitz
04-26-2006, 02:10 AM
Saw it tonight. I really, really liked it. It's just beautifully shot. It's not really confusing so much as it is open to interpretation.

Mr. Nerfect
04-27-2006, 04:06 AM
Saw it tonight. I really, really liked it. It's just beautifully shot. It's not really confusing so much as it is open to interpretation.

That's going to piss off a lot of the market who go to shut their brain off, though. I haven't seen the movie or played the games, but I'm sure I'm going to be swept to go with friends who, like so many other people (myself included) hope every horror film is the next Halloween and launches a new era of horror.

The general opinion seems to be a film good in style, but absolutely shit in substance. Why every horror film director needs to make their films as a substitute for masturbating is beyond me. Their goal isn't to please themselves. Silent Hill seems like one of the better ones, but from what I've been told, it becomes too much of a circus. If it focused on being scary instead of weird, this sounds like it could have been the winner. :-\

94 SVT Cobra
04-28-2006, 12:37 PM
I soooooo need to see this movie...I need to see this movie. I really need to see this movie. Like.....desperatly. Anyone wanna go?
only if ull hold my hand

Disturbed316
04-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Saw this friday night and completly loved it.

I wasn't as scared as much as playing the games, but I guess watching it and actually going through it is slightly different, knowing what was happening probably didn't help.

The nurses creeped the fuck out of me, I hated them in the game and they made me jump when one of the fuckers suddenly moved when everyone was still :mad:

I heard people in the cinema going what the fuck at the end, but I guess it can be confusing if you haven't played the game, but I still think it was a pretty awesome ending.

As much as Sean Bean is the man, that acent was horrible :(

Can't wait for the dvd.

SammyG
05-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Didn't really like it. I was dissapointed.

Downunder
08-27-2006, 09:09 PM
I watched it the other day, kinda wish I'd seen it on the big screen.

I really enjoyed it - much better than I thought it was going to be.

Boondock Saint
08-28-2006, 11:55 PM
This movie sucked ass.

Blitz
08-29-2006, 01:27 AM
You are mistaken.

Downunder
08-29-2006, 02:18 AM
Blitz is correct

Blitz
08-29-2006, 02:19 AM
Thanks Garry.

Boondock Saint
08-29-2006, 04:14 AM
The effects were alright but the script and acting left a lot to be desired. Fuck, I hated that chick cop and I wanted Rose to die so badly, she was so god damn annoying.

Downunder
08-29-2006, 05:24 AM
Thanks Garry.

My pleasure Travis