PDA

View Full Version : Animated Movies..

Kris P Lettus
04-05-2006, 02:32 AM
I f'n love some CG movies.. Shit like The Incredibles, Shrek, Monsters Inc, etc.. I like that they have feel good family quality while also having some adult humor.. (Simpsonsesque) I just wonder why they don't make shit like this strictly for adults.. I mean with the quality in graphics, they can create any world they want to.. Think if the made a full length Hobbit.. Or some bloody Horror.. Even something like Evil Dead IV..

I dunno.. The posiblities are endless..

Discuss..

AlphaBean
04-05-2006, 10:02 AM
I f'n love some CG movies.. Shit like The Incredibles, Shrek, Monsters Inc, etc.. I like that they have feel good family quality while also having some adult humor.. (Simpsonsesque) I just wonder why they don't make shit like this strictly for adults.. I mean with the quality in graphics, they can create any world they want to.. Think if the made a full length Hobbit.. Or some bloody Horror.. Even something like Evil Dead IV..

I dunno.. The posiblities are endless..

Discuss..

Are you fucking kidding me? You've never seen Heavy Metal? Oh I read "Simpsonesque," and thought you were talking about all animation :$.

But do you know how much cgi costs? Too much. You need to maximize profits. Can't do that with an R rating. But have you seen, say, Tripping the Rift? I haven't seen the series, but I remember that it was pretty vulgar back when it was only a 5-minute clip that came with "Launch" CD-magazine.

Anyone else ever get Launch? They gave me a free subscription, then forgot to cancel it, so I got it for over a year; it was pretty awesome... came with 2 CD tracks, video clips/trailers, live interviews with musicians, that little cartoon, a video game demo... and some other stuff.

Kris P Lettus
04-05-2006, 11:33 AM
I know the studios wouldn't want to limit themselves to just adults when the movies are that expensive to make, but the possiblities are unlimited.. Also, with the technology constantly getting better it might be cheaper/easier to make these films in the next couple of years..

:dunno:

loopydate
04-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Remember the outcry when South Park came on? People saw that it was animated, so they assumed it was for children. They'd do the same thing for an animated horror movie.

Further proving my point that most people are idiots.

I'm with you, though. They have the technology, and the people writing animated films are the best we've seen in a decade (Seriously, compare The Incredibles and Finding Nemo to Beauty And The Beast or The Lion King). I think somebody will probably take a shot at it soon. Hopefully, people will see the ads beyond the fact that the characters are animated and decide not to take their kids to an R-rated cartoon.

Kane Knight
04-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Are you fucking kidding me? You've never seen Heavy Metal? Oh I read "Simpsonesque," and thought you were talking about all animation :$.

But do you know how much cgi costs? Too much. You need to maximize profits. Can't do that with an R rating. But have you seen, say, Tripping the Rift? I haven't seen the series, but I remember that it was pretty vulgar back when it was only a 5-minute clip that came with "Launch" CD-magazine.

Anyone else ever get Launch? They gave me a free subscription, then forgot to cancel it, so I got it for over a year; it was pretty awesome... came with 2 CD tracks, video clips/trailers, live interviews with musicians, that little cartoon, a video game demo... and some other stuff.

So expensive that many animation companies are switching to it exclusively...

Kane Knight
04-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Remember the outcry when South Park came on? People saw that it was animated, so they assumed it was for children. They'd do the same thing for an animated horror movie.

Further proving my point that most people are idiots.

I'm with you, though. They have the technology, and the people writing animated films are the best we've seen in a decade (Seriously, compare The Incredibles and Finding Nemo to Beauty And The Beast or The Lion King). I think somebody will probably take a shot at it soon. Hopefully, people will see the ads beyond the fact that the characters are animated and decide not to take their kids to an R-rated cartoon.

Note that almost 100% of the truly great animated movies are coming from Pixar.

However, you're right, and hit the nail on the head. People associate cartoons with kids. MAny people won't watch an animated movie because it's obviously "kiddy" and others will go into it expecting it to be kid friendly. You're asking two groups of people to swap places. It's a cross-genre sort of deal by default.

DaveWadding
04-05-2006, 05:08 PM
FREE JIMMY!!!!!

http://imdb.com/title/tt0298337/

AlphaBean
04-05-2006, 09:25 PM
So expensive that many animation companies are switching to it exclusively...

I would imagine that it was expensive when it first came out. I would also imagine I should have said that in my post. And I don't know the price, but I know that cel animation probably takes an utter shitload more time than cgi, and money is nothing for these big companies, so until we get numbers, who knows?

Kane Knight
04-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Computer imaging is more cost-effective.

AlphaBean
04-06-2006, 08:55 AM
And who wants to go watch Bambi 2 in 2D anyway?

I just wish everything was done in Claymation.