PDA

View Full Version : Goldust Could've Been Bigger Than The Undertaker!?

therealdeal
04-10-2006, 03:22 PM
The man hardly known as Virgil Runnels III experienced the best of times in his life when a character that went by the name of "Goldust" was created. Much to everyone's expectations of the gimmick, it became one of the most controversial characters in the history of WWF/E. Not only that, but the gimmick was also one of the greatest and successful gimmicks of all time.

Goldust - We're talking as gimmick as you get. Black and gold face-paint. Black and gold body suite. Blonde wig. A depressing yet story-like theme song. Goldust confetti falling down from the rafters. Ambiguous. The Goldust character was completely different from any other gimmick or character in the Federation. Dustin Runnels wasn't some silly Pirate who fans couldn't take seriously (calm down you Paul Burchill fans - I'm talking about Jean Pierre); Runnels wasn't some dentist of Jerry Lawler; Runnels didn't dress in a clown suite and called his finished the "Whoopie Cushon". No... all of these gimmicks were laughable and despite whether or not the wrestler behind the gimmick could wrestle, no one just couldn't take a Red Rooster seriously as a WWF/E Champion contender.

Before Goludst, the most successful gimmick (and still the most successful ever) was the Undertaker. It would be easy to laugh at the Undertaker at one time or another. One could say, "Ah, geez. This guy actually thinks he came back from the dead? Oh, that's believable". But not only did booking and the WWF/E handle his character so well but that along with The Undertaker actually being talented in the ring has made The Undertaker into a legend; an icon. After The Undertaker gimmick had become established, it was hard to find any wrestler who could step up to the task of repeating the success of another hard to believe gimmick. While the Undertaker was rolling his eyes in the back of his head and being lead down to the ring by Paul Barerer who had "control" over the Undertaker because he had a mysterious urn, a guy who was wrestling in WCW known as Dustin Rhodes was showing off his talents. Wrestling critics, magazine writers and fans alike were all impressed by the young superstar. He would have great matches against "Stunning" Steve Austin over the U.S. title. The younger Rhodes even had chemistry in forming a Tag Team with the more experienced Barry Windham, though Barry would later turn on Rhodes for a short feud. Bottom line: No matter how established Dustin Rhodes was becoming in World Championship Wrestling, he'd still be under the shadow of his own father. How could he escape that shadow? He had the same southern accent as Dusty. They both would like to brawl but could also wrestle when need be. Who knew that the "grandson of a plummer" would one day be a controversial figure in WWF/E?

Quickly Goldust gained a lot of attention from the wrestling community. Mainly mixed reviews as to whether WWF/E finally went over the line with the over the top gimmick. Yet something was different with this gimmick. For once, the wrestling community wasn't laughing. This wrestler with a gimmick actually made you believe he was a legit threat to his opponents. The "mind games" Goldust would play with his opponents always made for interesting and entertaining TV. The fans noticed that Goldust could actually wrestle unlike the Dentist or the Pirate or the Clown. Of course, the smart fans also noticed that he was the old Dustin Runnels from WCW but that only added to the fact that he could wrestle.

The characteristics of the gimmick were done just about as well as The Undertaker's did for Mark Caloway. Goldust was potrayed as an out of this world character. Was he gay? Was he bi? With his wife Terri as his manager, it only help contribute to the mind games. The gimmick had gotten so successful so quickly and WWF/E and put in so much faith into the gimmick that Goldust beat Razor Ramon for his first Intercontinental Championship run at Royal Rumble 1996. Whether you liked the gimmick or not; whether you were offended by the antics or not - no one could argue that Goldust was well on his way on becoming an icon in his own right just as The Undertaker had done. An Intercontinental title run during his first two months in the WWF/E? Surely, Goldust must've had a bright future for WWF/E to invest so much into his character in so little time. Undoubtably, A Goldust/Razor Ramon re-match at WrestleMania 12 would've been one of the best matches of the night if Scott Hall hadn't ran into trouble. Instead, Goldust had one of the most memorable and entertaining matches in WrestleMania history against Roddy Piper that saw the match start in the backlot of Hollywood and ending in the WWF/E ring.

Goldust always delivered with his promos. Goldust would always have unique promos but they always made a point. Even quoting movies made sense because it fit in with his promo and his character. Goldust could deliver on the microphone. Goldust had great charisma and Goldust would also have excellent matches against Shawn Michaels, Razor Ramon, Marc Mero, Savio Vega in an interesting I-C title feud, and he made Ahmed Johnson look as good as Ahmed Johnson could look good. Seriously, who has the type of talent to make the often clumsy Ahmed Johnson look good in the ring? The pairing of Goldust and Mankind only added an even odder chemistry and depth into the character. It was all done supremely well just as WWF/E had done with The Undertaker. But all that was well certainly didn't end well..

In an interesting turn of events, Goldust had a "shoot" interview alongside with Terri talking about being the son of the legendary Dusty Rhodes. After the "shoot", Goldust lost the "mind games" gimmick and became a confused character who painted "F.U." (Forever Unchanged) with his gold and black face. Goldust just wasn't the same character - even at one time throwing the body suite into a trash can and lighting it on fire. After months, Goldust brought the gimmick back but it just wasn't the same. After being one of the most successful gimmicks in the history of WWF/E, Goldust became a victim of bad booking and instead of hearing "boos" from the fans, Dustin Runnels was now hearing the same laughter that bad gimmicks before him would hear. Siding with Luna did nothing for his character. Dressing as the "New Year's Baby" only to get beat up by Steve Austin and then getting "Stunned" to stumble back into a bathroom stall... that's just disrespectful. Goldust was now just a comedic relief that wasn't to be taken seriously by his opponents nor the fans during his matches. Instead of fans in the arena or watching him to see what crazy thing he'd do next, a Goldust match now meant a bathroom break instead. Goldust was sent packing and went back to WCW.

Hell, World Championship Wrestling saw how greatly over Dustin Rhodes had gotten the Goldust character over in WWF/E. Being the copycats that WCW had the reputation of being, they tried to re-create the success by giving Dustin the gimmick "Seven". Don't feel bad if you don't remember that gimmick as it only lasted for a whole 30 seconds.

After an impressive Royal Rumble performance in 2003, Goldust was offered another contract. Goldust wasn't as weird and bizarre but he was still being used as a comedic wrestler; even a jobber. Somewhat of a lovable face, especially after being paired with Booker T. as an under-dog Tag Team who would have a short run with the titles. Again... WWE booking decided to full around with Goldust gimmick and have Batista and Randy Orton get Goldust "electrocuted". Now even more of a comedian, Goldust now resembled someone who had Turrets Syndrome. Shortly there after, Goldust was shown yet another pink slip.

Goldust has been back for a few months now. Instead of a comedic act, Goldust's act is hardly seen or used at all. To catch a Goldust match, you have to go to WWE.com to see Sunday Night Heat, I guess. Why?

BOTTOM LINE: What the hell happened?

Why did WWF/E make Goldust into a laughing stock? It's a fact that perhaps can't be proven, but the Goldust gimmick could've been as successful as the Undertaker gimmick. Look at the simularities. Both Goldust and the Undertaker would play mind games with their opponents to their advatange. Both wrestlers had out-of-this-world gimmicks. Both wrestlers, despite the gimmicks, could get it done in the ring. Both were entertaining. Both could provide main event caliber matches. Goldust just simply became mis-used. I honestly believe that Goldust could've been one of the best heels in the history of wrestling. The fans loved to hate Goldust. Runnels had great chemistry with everyone he ever stepped into the ring with. Shawn Michaels even praises Goldust's ring work in his book by saying the two would bring the house down everytime they met in the ring. Goldust was the perfect heel to go against either and up and coming face, a struggling face or an already established face. In my opnion, Goldust was the total package. Goldust had the perfect unique look. Goldust had a great theme song. Goldust had a great entrence. Goldust obviously had a great and unique gimmick. A Goldust was a great wrestler.

In my mind, Virgil Runnels III is the best wrestler to never had won a World championship. What was so far fetched about making Goldust a main eventer yet turn him into someone wrestling fans could laugh at? If taken seriously, Goldust could've main evented PPVS or even had become a World champion. But many would now suspect that Goldust is past his prime now and his run is over. Sadly, the man who had a great casket match against the Undertaker and the man who would have great main event matches against World Champion Shawn Michaels on the old Monday Night Raw is nothing more than your typical jobber. And that my friends is a shame.

Indifferent Clox
04-10-2006, 04:00 PM
Yeah I don't know what they can do to bring him back.. it sucks.

Londoner
04-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Haha, Goldust as big as the Undertaker?Don't think so.I think this guy is just a Goldust mark.

wwe2222
04-10-2006, 04:25 PM
There are a couple problems...

When Goldust first appeared, it was a fresh character and very unique to its time. The way Goldust would play mind games with his opponents (the razor fued is a good one to think of) was really thought out.

But....times changed and the wrestling product grew more in your face, and geared towards an older audience. His character, instead of being unique, kind of got lost in the shuffle.

Once the character got stale, they jobbed him out after a while and he became a comedic character rather than the mysterious, mind game playing character that made him so successful in the first place.

Im still a Goldust fan...but he wont recover from what they have done with his character. It is too hard to take him as a serious threat now.

As big as the Undertaker? Probably not, but I think they could have done alot more with him than the final result.

Kane Knight
04-10-2006, 05:22 PM
:wtf:

DaveWadding
04-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Hey, have you ever heard of Spell Check?

SammyG
04-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Way too long of a post

Gerard
04-10-2006, 06:09 PM
In the vince russo interview with wrestlecrap he states that the foreign market killed the goldust character because people got offended by it and started firing in complaints. :-\

therealdeal
04-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Hey, have you ever heard of Spell Check?

I put a lot off effort into my thoughts,no need to be a nerd about these things.

Xero
04-10-2006, 06:51 PM
I'm not going to waste my time reading an article that long comparing GOLDUST to THE UNDERTAKER.

Someone sum it up in five sentances or less.

Indifferent Clox
04-10-2006, 07:00 PM
SUMMARY:

In a well written biography of the Runnels kid, he talks about his career up to present. He then talks about other Gimmick wrestlers. He then says most famous Gimmick wrestler to be taken seriously is Undertaker. He says that Goldust possibly could've been as big as Taker if written properly. He says it's a damn shame that by now it's probably too late.

Xero
04-10-2006, 07:03 PM
"If written properly", the Brooklyn Brawler could have had a Goldberg-like streak.

Corkscrewed
04-10-2006, 07:04 PM
SUMMARY:
What a triple post! ;)

Jaton
04-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Okay, you've almost managed to make the summary as long as the post, by posting it four times.

Indifferent Clox
04-10-2006, 07:16 PM
lol I deleted all those though. My computer is messing up sorry guys.

Vastardikai
04-11-2006, 01:32 AM
Main problem with this is simple:

The ORIGINAL Doink the Clown (played by Matt Bourne) COULD wrestle. In fact, he was one of the best in the WWF at that time. Check out the '93 (?, year Bret won) KOTR Qualifying Trilogy between he and Mr. Perfect for a good example of this. They were 3 KILLER matches, The second match started right where the first ended, and the third match started right where the second ended. It was an underrated classic series of matches.

Then they turned Doink face...

Mr. Nerfect
04-11-2006, 03:52 AM
Goldust has always entertained me. It's a shame to watch him on Heat these days. Sure, the guy is past his prime, but there is no doubt he is one of the more polished performers the WWE has, and he knows how to play his character well.

What upsets me about the Goldust character at present, is that he doesn't come out with his old get-up. He's got the body suit and the wig, but he doesn't have the gown. These days he seems to be doing an Undertaker, in that he doesn't fully commit the the gimmick. I'd say Dustin's just collecting a paycheck.

Goldust is currently teaming with Gene Snitsky. Am I the only one who hates this? It just doesn't click. The WWE found success with Booker T & Goldust because the strange Goldie got obsessed with the normal Booker T. It worked, and it worked well. Booker T would become haunted by the golden ghost wherever he went, and fans began to like them, despite both men being technically heels.

Snitsky & Goldust seem to be two random guys thrown together because they are odd. I doubt it will work. Goldust & Benoit, Goldust & Angle, Goldust & Cena, these would all work, in my opinion. Serious overachievers being stalked by a serious, yet strange underachiever.

The Goldust character is one of the deepest in professional wrestling, in my opinion, and I mean that seriously. The naturally talented son of a Southern legend, who has ambitions on making it on his own, hence the get-up and the faux-homosexuality. He can come off as a spoilt rich kid turned emo. I love the analysis you can apply to it.

The WWE is really missing a huge opportunity if they don't have Goldust go over to SmackDown! in the draft. There is seriously entertainment to be had off this guy. With three Intercontinental Championships, three United States Championships and multiple Hardcore Championships unde ris belt, credibility shouldn't be an issue.

Chavo Classic
04-11-2006, 06:41 AM
Even with only 17 posts, this thread still has the highest word-count than any other thread ever

Londoner
04-11-2006, 10:12 AM
I think this guy must surely be exaggerating on how good Goldusts wrestling skills are,i don't see how he is as good as Taker in the ring.

Kane Knight
04-11-2006, 10:27 AM
You kidding? Didn't you see that 30 minute match he put on at Survivor Series with Kirk Angel?

Impact!
04-11-2006, 10:36 AM
I think this guy must surely be exaggerating on how good Goldusts wrestling skills are,i don't see how he is as good as Taker in the ring.
lol

Londoner
04-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Btw im not saying Taker is great in the ring either, i just have never seen anything impressive from Goldust as far as wrestling skills go, atleast Taker can put on a good match when he wants to though.(see no way out this year)

TerranRich
04-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Guy posts well-thought out statement, arguing that Goldust, with proper booking and writing, could have been as successful a gimmick as the Undertaker.

Other guys repeatedly express their inability to read so many words.

Only in TPWW. ;)

Anyway, to respond to this thread, I believe Goldust could have been as successful as the Undertaker. Now the word "successful" has a different meaning than "well-liked" and "respected". Successful simply means that he could have been as popular and talked-about as Taker.

As for wrestling skills, neither Goldust nor Taker can come close to most other guys, but their skills are still comparable.

Nervous Ferret
04-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Doug Basham will be bigger than the Undertaker...

Kane Knight
04-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Guy posts well-thought out statement, arguing that Goldust, with proper booking and writing, could have been as successful a gimmick as the Undertaker.

Other guys repeatedly express their inability to read so many words.

Only in TPWW.

To be honest, I didn't even bother to read after the other garbage he's posted. I saw a wall of text from this jackass and said..."no."

DMI
04-11-2006, 12:59 PM
HA.

Kane Knight
04-11-2006, 07:50 PM
HA.

Pfffft. If Goldie was MEing instead, you'd be "Shattered Dreams Prod," And people would call you "Gay" instead of "Goth."

Mr. Nerfect
04-12-2006, 12:46 AM

What makes you think that?

Mr. Nerfect
04-12-2006, 12:46 AM
Goldust could have been as successful as The Undertaker, but so could a lot of people. I do like the comparisons in the gimmick. The Undertaker, when you really think about it, only has his lockerroom respect keeping him going. He's won a few World Championships along the way and he has his WrestleMania streak, but when you look at the beginnings of his character, there wasn't much there.

DaveWadding
04-12-2006, 12:50 AM

Who are you kidding? Doug Basham will be better than any other wrestler to ever live! He's better at wrestling than Chris Benoit, more charasmatic than Ric Flair and gayer than Kane Knight! What a total package.

Mr. Nerfect
04-12-2006, 12:58 AM
Who are you kidding? Doug Basham could contribute to the WWE's mid-card, before eventually moving up to play a supporting main event role once he has proven himself capable. He's been creditted by Chris Benoit as a damn fine wrestler, has plenty of charisma and is not so much a tool as DaveWadding! What a total package?

Londoner
04-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Val Venis could've been as big as the Undertaker.....er..no, i'm not going to write an essay on that actually.

Kane Knight
04-12-2006, 09:05 PM
He's bigger.

"You know, the Big Valbowski and the Undertaker have a lot in common. We love to get inside your head, we always wear a hat, and we'll always come back and rise from the dead."

FourFifty
04-14-2006, 08:32 PM
I like Goldust a little bit more than anyone else here, but you're a fucking moron.

Batsu
04-16-2006, 08:58 AM
You're right in the fact that Goldust really did get over in a funny way that no one expected. To date, I'd never think Runnels could get over as well in any other persona. "Goldust" is his shining moment.

I agree that "Attitude" Goldust was crap. But I think during that time, fans in general were rejecting the gimmicks of old as a whole. The returned "Goldust" was as his name implies, Gold. I didn't think he'd work in the 2002-03 WWE, but he made some memorable moments, especially with Booker T.

I'm just not sure if he could have gone as far as the Undertaker (yeah, anyone else in that gimmick would have been doomed for life).