PDA

View Full Version : how much do commentators know prior to a match?

The MAC
04-16-2006, 04:26 PM
We all know a match and its finish are worked out in advance.

Do the commentators also know about this in advance so they don't fuck up on air ? or do they not know and watch it as we watch it?

Xero
04-16-2006, 04:38 PM
I would imagine that they're told before hand (and during) about what's going to happen and how to sell it.

I remember reading in Death of WCW about how the WCW announcers half the time didn't know what the fuck was going on (especially during angles) and that's ONE reason they were so horrible.

loopydate
04-16-2006, 04:52 PM
I can't speak for the "big-time" promotions, but the one indy show I did commentary for, I was given a run-down sheet with all of the matches and who was going to win them, plus any information about run-ins and stuff like that. Also, there was a tournament going on, so I was told to hype up later tournament matches and so forth.

As for specific moves, though, I wasn't told anything, so - for example - when Sky Devian superplexed Sebastian Rose off a ladder, I marked out just as much as everybody else in the arena.

ddpBANG
04-16-2006, 05:12 PM
I remember reading in Death of WCW about how the WCW announcers half the time didn't know what the fuck was going on (especially during angles) and that's ONE reason they were so horrible.
That's probably because WCW didn't even know what the fuck was going on, and something tells me if you sat Schiavone down and ran down every second of a match, he still wouldn't get it. What a fucking tool.

Also, I know the WCW and WWE had/have meetings before the show (which Jerry Lawler said in his book that he doesn't attend) that go over certain things. I'd imagine things like Loopy said... run ins, debuts, maybe even new moves. The line-up/format sheet has been mentioned more than once on WCW and WWE TV, and Joey Styles used to "throw it out the window" all the time in ECW.

rko4life
04-16-2006, 07:14 PM
but if they had the results on paper... couldnt the people behind the announcers just look at the paper and see who wins.. or accedently then they would be very angry at wwe :(

ddpBANG
04-16-2006, 08:01 PM
but if they had the results on paper... couldnt the people behind the announcers just look at the paper and see who wins.. or accedently then they would be very angry at wwe :(
It's not like it's printed <b><font size=5>LIKE THIS</font></b>, so I doubt you could accidentally see it.

rko4life
04-16-2006, 09:34 PM
It's not like it's printed <b><font size=5>LIKE THIS</font></b>, so I doubt you could accidentally see it.

it could be.. maybe cole cant see small writing so he needs it big

Thechampishere!
04-26-2006, 02:21 AM
All wwe commentators do .
Every time the camera switches To announce tables you see the commentators Looking at the cameras ( why would you need to if the superstars are facing toward you) they do it all the time ,I guess they have notes on the Move ,hence why the referee singles to them whats happening.

Londoner
04-26-2006, 09:36 AM
it could be.. maybe cole cant see small writing so he needs it big

:roll: