PDA

View Full Version : You nigars with Tetris DS, tell me how it is

Funky Fly
04-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Like what's in it? Is it any good? Is it multiplayer?

Jonster
04-22-2006, 05:53 PM
It's good, but it plays by the new tetris rules where you can hold a block until you need it, the next 6 or 7 blocks are displayed, and if a piece is rotating it doesn't set (so you can rotate indefinately until you want to set it).

The extra games are a good distraction from the main game.

Haven't taken it online yet.

It can do 10 player from a single cart (which I'll be testing on Thursday).

I enjoy it.

Any more questions?

Funky Fly
04-22-2006, 06:07 PM
What are the extras?

Jonster
04-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Apart from the main game mode, there's a VS CPU mode and a 25 line clear mode in the standard options.

There's Push mode, where you're at the top and as you make lines it moves the playfield downwards. The computer goes from the bottom up, and you share the same play space.

Mission mode has you trying to complete a set task within a time limit (else extra lines appear), such as clear 4 lines at once, or clear 5 lines only using S and Z blocks.

In Touch mode you drag the blocks about to get to a set of balloons at the top (I don't like it, but I think that's because I'm not very good at it). There's also some puzzles in there.

Puzzle mode has you trying to clear the screen using certain blocks. You can only drop a block if it will clear at least one line. It's pretty good and there's 200 of those.

Catch mode has blocks falling from the top screen on to the bottom screen. You start of with a single block and when the blocks touch it they stick. You can rotate your block but not the actual falling pieces. You lose energy if you touch a falling block while rotating, touch a metroid or a piece falls off the bottom of the screen.
Making a 4x4 square energises it or something, and then it blasts energy destoying blocks and metroids that it hits.
I made it sound more complex than it actually is there probably.

Think that's everything.

Dorkchop
04-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Touch mode can be hard to stop playing. You have a tower of blocks (That go well past the screen) and you slide each piece to form a line. I find myself playing this for hopefully a game or two, but end up playing seriously over 20 games.

VS is pretty fun. It follows the same formula for every multiplayer puzzle game. If you clear lines quickly, or just a lot, rows will form in your oponents screen. There are item blocks too where if you clean a line that has an item block quickly enough, it affects your opponent.

Standrard mode doesn't have the exact same feel as it did on NES or Gameboy, but it's pretty close. I found it super hard on the NES and gameboy to last too long after level 10.

I really like it and it's not too expensive either. $35 Canadian is pretty good.

road doggy dogg
04-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Yeah the new rules make it kind of easy... even trying to be a purist and not using them I still find myself "cheating" :rant:

Game's fucking sick though. Only thing that's kept me off WoW lately.

Dorkchop
04-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Not to mention that the whole soundtrack to the game is all classic NES games. Mario 1, Legend of Zelda, Baloon Fight, Mario 3, uh... a few more.

Jonster
04-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Metroid and Donkey Kong. Can't remember the other's off hand and can't be bothered to turn the DS on.

Jonster
04-22-2006, 07:45 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_DS#Standard_Mode :)

Funky Fly
04-22-2006, 09:06 PM
Cool

Kane Knight
04-22-2006, 11:07 PM
I dunno. The lack of like an original, simple,, Tetris mode, and the extra ways they made it easier seem...Pointless.

D Mac
04-23-2006, 06:35 AM
PSP

Funky Fly
04-23-2006, 04:42 PM
Fuck your PSP

Kane Knight
04-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Why fuck a PSP?

Kapoutman
04-23-2006, 10:56 PM
I love Tetris DS. The touch mode and puzzle mode are my current favorites. I'm at #138 on Puzzle mode.

Zelda can't stop playing the Touch mode either.

Kane Knight
04-24-2006, 10:09 AM
Touching is good.

Dorkchop
04-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Touching is good.

Try telling that to my judge. He just won't listen.

road doggy dogg
04-25-2006, 04:28 AM
Got 457 lines in Endless mode the other day :eek: Was hawt.

Jonster
04-25-2006, 07:10 AM
I won't tell you how many I got for fear of humiliation.

OK it lost count (stopped at 999), but working on what level I'd reached it was at least 1,200.