PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Haas's return

Thechampishere!
04-26-2006, 05:18 AM
Now I wasn't the greatest Fan of "Worlds Greatest Tag team" ,but I think Haas has really Improved ringwise.
His new gimmick ,character and Looks makes him look like he has something big with wwe.

Who knows a Shelton vs Haas match for the IC title would be classic ,both performers know each others skills ,and Their high flyers ,but different types of wrestling.

What do you guys think.

What Would Kevin Do?
04-26-2006, 06:34 AM
I'd like to see Haas given a big roll. I think he could be a definate upper mid carder, POSSIBLE main eventer if Shelton makes it first (IE, if Shelton becomes world champ, I could see Haas feuding with him in the main event, but not Haas doing it alone.)

Personally, I loved "The Self Proclaimed World's Greatest Tag Team." THey had great chemistry together, and a great feud with Eddie and Chavo.

Kane Knight
04-26-2006, 08:37 AM
What new gimmick?

Londoner
04-26-2006, 09:40 AM
I also like Haas at the moment,he has far more charisma than he used to.I think hass taking the IC title from Shelton is definately going to happen.

Kane Knight
04-26-2006, 09:51 AM
It'd be better than another Shelton/Flair feud.

TerranRich
04-26-2006, 09:51 AM
What new gimmick?
He's a guy with a beard. And tights.

Londoner
04-26-2006, 09:53 AM
It'd be better than another Shelton/Flair feud.

Please don't remind me of that feud ever again.Flairs a fuckin shit for holding back Sheltons career like that, thanks to him we had to put up with Shelton needing his 'mama' to help him get back on a winning streak.

wwe2222
04-26-2006, 11:12 AM
I always liked Haas, but ive been enjoying him alot more since he came back. I also liked the idea behind the 6 man tag match they had on Raw, with all the young midcard guys and RVD. I hope all 6 of those guys keep fueding with each other.

Disturbed316
04-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Haas of Pain is a fucking amazing submission move.

ClockShot
04-26-2006, 11:18 AM

I second that statement Disturbed. I'm also happy to see Charlie Haas return to the ring also. We know he's gonna fued with Shelton possibly over the IC title. That's if RVD loses or a double DQ happens this sunday.

Mr. Nerfect
04-26-2006, 04:15 PM

If they want to get Charlie Haas over, let him cripple some bitches with that thing.

I know the following chant doesn't really follow the song, but I am really craving the fans to start going "The Haas, the Haas, the Haas is on fire!". :-\

At Backlash, I see either one of two things happening. Either Shelton Benjamin gets himself deliberately disqualified against Rob Van Dam, giving RVD the win and allowing Shelton to keep the IC Title, which leads to Charlie Haas running in and saving RVD from further beat-down (and possbly, since there is no other, a World Tag Team Title run for the two). The other, which is really far-fetched, and more of a dream scenario for me, is Rene Dupree and Rob Conway attacking RVD and Shelton Benjamin respectively; leading to Rene Dupree and Rob Conway taking their breifcase and title, a Shelton Benjamin semi-face turn and a tag team match with Shelton Benjamin & Rob Van Dam teaming up in a Ladder Match against the former La Resistance partners for the stolen possessions. During that match, someone like Matt Striker runs out and steals them again. Basically breathe some life into the mid-card.

People will flame me for this, no doubt, but bringing Danny Basham back in a mid-card role is a smart idea. Basham is a pretty solid in the ring, and can help create depth to the mid-card. They could even bring back Doug Basham to feud with his "brother" in a few Heat main events.

Londoner
04-26-2006, 04:21 PM
God damnit i knew after you said 'people will flame me for this' you were going to mention Doug Basham!It's not that i have anything against you mate, just annoyed with hearing about him.Unless he magically gets some charisma like Charlie Haas has, then I'll continue to disagree with your opinion on him.Just the fact that he maybe good in the ring doesn't impress me.

Mr. Nerfect
04-26-2006, 04:41 PM
God damnit i knew after you said 'people will flame me for this' you were going to mention Doug Basham!It's not that i have anything against you mate, just annoyed with hearing about him.Unless he magically gets some charisma like Charlie Haas has, then I'll continue to disagree with your opinion on him.Just the fact that he maybe good in the ring doesn't impress me.

I've never once suggested the WWE bring him back and give him a World Title out of the blue. His being good in the ring can add depth to dying divisions, though. What's the point of having guys under contract if you're not going to use them? The Basham Brothers can either help the tag team divisions or mid-card divisions on either brand. Don't put the US or IC Titles on them right away, just have them serve as guys 4th or 5th place along the division ladder.

TerranRich
04-26-2006, 05:03 PM
YARGH!! If the wrestler has no charisma, he can't be anywhere near the TV screen!!!

Wait...so how does this explain Umaga, Khali, and Hardcore Holly?

Londoner
04-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Khali is watchable because of his unusual height,Umaga wont last long, and Hardcore Holly hasnt been on tv for ages.

TerranRich
04-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Still, they're using Umaga. And they would use Holly if he were 100% healthy. Charisma isn't high on WWE's list.

Kane Knight
04-26-2006, 09:22 PM
Holly's got Charisma.

Hey, charisma doesn't necessarily mean people LIKE you...:shifty:

NeanderCarl
04-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Holly had great charisma during his 1999 "I'm the Big Shot" gimmick, whereby he would feud with huge guys like Kane and Big Show and allegedly think he was as big as they are.

But that was 7 years ago now, and he hasn't been showing a lot of that charisma for most of that time.

Unfortunately Holly has become just like his prefered ring style: dead weight.

parkmania
04-26-2006, 11:22 PM
You DON'T have to have charisma to be in the WWE, that's what managers are for. But if you don't have charisma, you'd better either be a hoss or named Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, or Lance Storm.

NeanderCarl
04-26-2006, 11:25 PM
Yeah, because Malenko and Storm were blinding success stories.

Kane Knight
04-27-2006, 07:59 AM
Yeah, because Malenko and Storm were blinding success stories.

Malenko held the World Heavyweight title for 16 consecutive months, moron. :roll:

TerranRich
04-27-2006, 11:13 AM
See, that's the thing. Malenko and Storm never had much charisma, but they have a strong fan following (or had one in their time). If they have enough skill in the ring, it can more than make up for their lack of charisma.

There are three things you need: charisma, in-ring skills, and the look. It's possible that one can make up for the other two.

Malenko's skills made up for his lack of charisma, and slight lack of "look" (meaning ripped physique).

Mick Foley's charisma makes up for his lack of skills and "look".

And Khali's "look" makes up for his lack of charisma and slight lack of skills.

It's a holy balance.

Stickman
04-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Yeah, what is Haas' gimmick again? I mean, if I were a casual wrestling fan, why would I care about him. Wait a second, why should I care about him anyways?

domononizuka
04-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Hass is good but he needs to lose the gay leather vest.Im thinking the Bashams will be brought back soon.Theyve been tagging the last few weeks in OVW dark matches.For some reason they now dress like the dudleys.

TerranRich
04-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Yeah, what is Haas' gimmick again? I mean, if I were a casual wrestling fan, why would I care about him. Wait a second, why should I care about him anyways?
Some people don't need gimmicks. I don't know why you should care about him, but I care because I know he's skilled in the ring and great to watch.

Kane Knight
04-27-2006, 05:56 PM
See, that's the thing. Malenko and Storm never had much charisma, but they have a strong fan following (or had one in their time). If they have enough skill in the ring, it can more than make up for their lack of charisma.

There are three things you need: charisma, in-ring skills, and the look. It's possible that one can make up for the other two.

Malenko's skills made up for his lack of charisma, and slight lack of "look" (meaning ripped physique).

Mick Foley's charisma makes up for his lack of skills and "look".

And Khali's "look" makes up for his lack of charisma and slight lack of skills.

It's a holy balance.

The difference?

Foley's Charisma got him a title shot or two.

Khali's look will get him main eventing.

Malenko and Storm...Didn't get very high up that ladder.

Thechampishere!
04-27-2006, 06:33 PM
Lol Reminds me of Captain charisma . He had everything ,and wwe treated him like shit.

TerranRich
04-28-2006, 12:11 AM
The difference?

Foley's Charisma got him a title shot or two.

Khali's look will get him main eventing.

Malenko and Storm...Didn't get very high up that ladder.
Kane, I was just using specific, random examples. They weren't the end-all-be-all of my points.

Chris Benoit doesn't have much in the way of charisma and has been WWE Champion once. Sure, he also has the "look", but only body-wise. He doesn't have a very pretty face. ;)

Kane Knight
04-28-2006, 12:23 AM
Kane, I was just using specific, random examples. They weren't the end-all-be-all of my points.

Chris Benoit doesn't have much in the way of charisma and has been WWE Champion once. Sure, he also has the "look", but only body-wise. He doesn't have a very pretty face. ;)

The problem is, those were good examples. You can call them specific, or random, but they show why Storm and Malenko didn't stand a chance.

Benoit has charisma (In the form of that rabid intensity), he's got skills, he's got the look, and he's been more over with the audience than either Malenko or Storm.

And don't get me wrong, I think Storm has some charisma as well, but he doesn't much have the sort that would really suit him in WWE. And while Chris isn't overflowing with that sort of charisma, he's got enough of it. Maybe he's not going to be holding the title often (Or even ever again), but he puts on matches that can get even a casual crowd behind him.

Foley did that without a lot of wrestling (Though earlier in his career, he did enough of it). The Rock did it with 5 moves. Austin did it with 3 (2 if you count the kick to the gut as part of the stunner). Benoit brings his charisma in through his "storytelling" and his own form of intensity.

And you don't need to be pretty for a push, especially with "the look."

You think Masters is pretty? His face is that of a shaved ape. Lesnar? Retarded child. Mark Henry? Predator. Sure, you have guys like Orton and Michaels who are metro, but Andre the Giant? Hogan? Big Show? Kane/Taker?

TerranRich
04-28-2006, 12:34 AM
I think Mark Henry is pretty :shifty:

Kidding. But seriously, maybe you're right. It makes sense that there is a specific type of charisma that suits WWE. I just prefer to think that there is a place for people without charisma (but with the look and talent) in wrestling.

I'd always thought that Malenko and Storm should have been big stars. I'd always been kinda upset that they never were, and always thought that they were not used properly. Actually, I always liked Malenko's "James Bond" gimmick, the charming ladies man without much visible charm. It was perfect for him, and should've been his permanent gimmick. I always wish he hadn't retired when he did.

Actually, thinking about it now, lack of charisma was probably acceptable for the 80's and early 90's, but is longer acceptable for current day WWE talent.

Kane Knight
04-28-2006, 08:59 AM
If you've got the look, you need nothing else. If you've got Charisma, you need nother else. If you don't have either of those, you really don't have anything at all.

TerranRich
04-28-2006, 10:13 AM
That's true. But like I said, in my eyes, there should be a place where only talent can get you places. I guess that place is Japan.

Kane Knight
04-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Well, ya. Wrestling is largely about action there, here it's a soap opera. People may whine about that, but it is. It's a testosterone driven soap opera with storylines designed to keep the Y chromosone and testicles happy. And that's what sells it in the US.

Otherwise, Rey Rey would've held a major heavyweight title back when he was something, instead of because his buddy died. Because back in the day, he was mad talented.

But we'd also have to have cruiserweights on the same level as big men, and nobody really seems to buy that. Hell, some of my friends have taken martial arts for as much as 18 years now, are smaller than me, and could totally kick my ass, and I still don't believe it most of the time when I see someone small in pro wrestling go up against someone big.

Doesn't hurt that they also stack the heights. I mean, I'm 6'5" and Matt HArdy's supposed to be 6'4". That dude was "small" enough to be a cruiserweight (I know it was a story, but)?

I mean yeah, people like Rey are legitimately TINY, but when an average joe is about the size of a big man in the real world, it makes it even less believable when the smallers one show up.

And that's just look. Charisma is probably more important than everything (Except being over 6'10" as the great kali shows you, it's a free pass), because Eddie didn't get to the top on talent (Not saying he didn't have any, just saying he clearly wouldn't have got there if he wasn't so fucking charismatic), Foley wouldn't have got there in ANY persona under his skills or look, etc. And of course, Charisma isn't just mic skills, but you do need a specific kind of charisma to make it somewhere in this sport (In the Western world).

Although, honestly, while I appreciate the Japanese approach, I like the storylines. I think we're too heavy on story over substance right now, but I'd hate to see 2 hours of just wrestling with no plot behind it at all. It's like a kung fu flick. You don't watch Bruce Lee movies for deep character development, you mostly want to see him bust out the nunchucks! But if there was no story, just 2 hours of fighting, it probably wouldn't sell horribly well.