PDA

View Full Version : Would it be hard to land a job as a writer for WWE?

The Naitch
04-28-2006, 02:02 AM
Like say you met all the criteria needed with experience and whatnot

And say you worked for network television for a while

Say you don't live anywhere near the east coast? Should you go apply at Titan Towers in person? How should you approach it? Start fromt he bottom? Suck some penis? What?

I'd figure the best thing to do is know someone first. Then work your way in, the usual shit.

side notes: Vince Russo started from the bottom since he sold TV's for a living. He went on to make $600,000 a year during the Atiitude era. He was basically attached to Vince's hip, and others envied him. He was a freelancer at first, but it was official just weeks before WrestleMania 10. And HBK was the only wrestler to threaten him.

Funky Fly
04-28-2006, 04:14 AM
Yeah, it's probably really hard. Especially with the other writers probably not wanting someone better to come along and show them how it's actually done.

ClockShot
04-28-2006, 08:01 AM
Yeah, it's probably really hard. Especially with the other writers probably not wanting someone better to come along and show them how it's actually done.

Agreed. But some of the people who post regularly on the wrestling board come up with some top notch ideas for writing. You could hire a good number and they could turn the company around fast.

Kane Knight
04-28-2006, 08:31 AM
Yeah, but look at who they've been hiring?

ThruTheWire
04-28-2006, 08:35 AM
Probably near impossible.

Rob
04-28-2006, 10:42 AM
It's not impossible. I know of 2 writers (one of which I knew personally) who went there and left within 6 months for different reasons. The guy I knew didn't know much about wrestling but he had a degree and previous history in TV. I know of at least 3 other pretty well known wrestling writers who sent in stuff that was awesome and was immediately rejected and it was probably due to the guys they were talking about giving a push too (one of them was an awesome angle for Jericho and Benoit just before they got the tag titles in 2001).

Xero
04-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Haven't you made this thread at least three times?

tucsonspeed6
04-28-2006, 03:34 PM
I'm sure it'd be easy if you went through the right channels.

Currently I'm looking into a way to convert myself into Vince McMahon's daughter. No luck yet, but every day I make a little progress...

The One
04-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Agreed. But some of the people who post regularly on the wrestling board come up with some top notch ideas for writing. You could hire a good number and they could turn the company around fast.

No. The company is in terrible shape right now and if you handed it over to TPWW, Alienoid would have Doug Bashem be Champ, everyone here would make 34 different Tag Teams and before you know it, TPWW and WWE would collpase over the Great Cena/Hunter Cival War. Not to mention half the people here would book Bret Hart in every single HBK or McMahon match out come for the rest of time.

No, we arn't writers, nor do we really know how the backstage workings go down. It wouldn't hurt if once and again WWE or someone with there came online to see some of the fans ideas and or take a few suggestions, but I think if TPWW got it's collective hands on a company we would burn it to the ground within days.

And trust me, the last thing you want to see happen is give me writing control. Billy Gunn would be World Champ by the end of the month.

ClockShot
04-28-2006, 06:44 PM
No. The company is in terrible shape right now and if you handed it over to TPWW, Alienoid would have Doug Bashem be Champ, everyone here would make 34 different Tag Teams and before you know it, TPWW and WWE would collpase over the Great Cena/Hunter Cival War. Not to mention half the people here would book Bret Hart in every single HBK or McMahon match out come for the rest of time.

No, we arn't writers, nor do we really know how the backstage workings go down. It wouldn't hurt if once and again WWE or someone with there came online to see some of the fans ideas and or take a few suggestions, but I think if TPWW got it's collective hands on a company we would burn it to the ground within days.

And trust me, the last thing you want to see happen is give me writing control. Billy Gunn would be World Champ by the end of the month.

Agreed. A stupid thing I suggested and I apologise. :y:

Kane Knight
04-28-2006, 07:22 PM

Actually, I am a writer.

On the other hand, I admit I'd likely suck in WWE, and also would be smart enough not to try. Anything I'd push for would probably be minor changes, and I'd still get vetoed.

Vermaat
04-28-2006, 07:36 PM
I guess it is very hard. It is a job that a lot of people want and it is a dream job for any fan so if you would just think about all the people that want it, you will see that it is very hard to get. Also this is the WWE, you would need to be very qualified to make it there and the requirements will be heavy.

But if you got the skill, I think you should try for it, it is a dream job!

Kane Knight
04-28-2006, 07:40 PM
I guess it is very hard. It is a job that a lot of people want and it is a dream job for any fan so if you would just think about all the people that want it, you will see that it is very hard to get. Also this is the WWE, you would need to be very qualified to make it there and the requirements will be heavy.

But if you got the skill, I think you should try for it, it is a dream job!

:rofl:

TapOut
04-29-2006, 12:11 AM
Apparently, it's fairly easy to get a job writing for the WWE. All you need is to have a bachelor's or higher in journalism or creative writing and to have experience working on shows that have nothing to do with wrestling. Little knowledge of the business and being out of touch with the audience is apparantly a big factor as well.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
04-29-2006, 12:23 AM
You only have to visit the C-Fed forum to see my resume of high quality writing and booking.

Just try to ignore all the Nazi and gay date-rape angles.

TapOut
04-29-2006, 12:26 AM
Nazi and gay date-rape angles are far, far too tame for WWE standards.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
04-29-2006, 12:28 AM
We did have live child rape on one episode too.

And at least 5 people have been killed off with firearms.

Skippord
04-29-2006, 12:37 AM
I think you have to write at least 10 Spongebob episodes

jindrak
04-29-2006, 12:38 AM
Like say you met all the criteria needed with experience and whatnot

And say you worked for network television for a while

Say you don't live anywhere near the east coast? Should you go apply at Titan Towers in person? How should you approach it? Start fromt he bottom? Suck some penis? What?

I'd figure the best thing to do is know someone first. Then work your way in, the usual shit.

side notes: Vince Russo started from the bottom since he sold TV's for a living. He went on to make $600,000 a year during the Atiitude era. He was basically attached to Vince's hip, and others envied him. He was a freelancer at first, but it was official just weeks before WrestleMania 10. And HBK was the only wrestler to threaten him.

Believe it or not, I actually spoke to Steve Corino about this via AIM.

He told me the best way to approach the matter was to first work for local independents to gain experience (and possibly build contacts in the industry).

A few years ago I remember WWE posting a job listing on monster.com for a TV writer position. I'm sure if you look at the corporate section of the WWE website, you can find additional listings too.

freerock1.com
04-29-2006, 01:05 AM
No. The company is in terrible shape right now and if you handed it over to TPWW, Alienoid would have Doug Bashem be Champ
In Alienoid's defense, I will say I've thought for a long time that if he really pursued it, he could probably be a writer. That is, if he could keep his Basham and Venis fanboyisms at bay. ;)

Mr. Nerfect
04-29-2006, 07:31 AM
I am going to be a writer eventually, so maybe one day the WWE will hire me (I want to work in television/film). The day Doug Basham becomes World Champion and I am not here celebrating it, it is because I am whacking off while writing Val Venis' Royal Rumble win.

Seriously, though, I think if they did get writers who actually come from a background such as some of the people on this site, they would have a better product. The One brings up some good points, which is why I think it is important that they have the head member of creative someone who can focus on limiting the writing staff. There is no way a writer should go in there, say Doug Basham, Billy Gunn or Val Venis should be World Champion (although you can make cases for all three, as much as I am going to get raped in TPWW prison for saying it) and it happen. A writer should form good ideas for existing creative principals.

For example, let us use Batista as an example. Having people like us writing his return could be better than a TV writer doing it. We know Batista's strengths and weaknesses, and we know what will get people excited when he returns. There needs to be some kind of voice of reason pointing those ideas, though. Unfortunately for the WWE, I don't think Stephanie McMahon is that voice of reason. Paul Heyman? There was a creative general.

What Would Kevin Do?
04-29-2006, 07:41 AM
I think we need to become a unified writer for wwe. Yeah. Alienoid, myself, and some others.

Also, sooner or later, I'm going to do some sort of booking "contest" on here. Like TPWW's best booker or something. Probably when I get back from Japan.

Impact!
04-29-2006, 09:36 AM
You only have to visit the C-Fed forum to see my resume of high quality writing and booking.

Just try to ignore all the Nazi and gay date-rape angles.
Jabba's Booking:

JR: OH MY GOD, HHH IS RAPING KATIE VICK

HHH: It's alright, she's a nazi.
---------------------------------------------
*Booker finds the I still remember note*
*Booker flips the note over*
...The nazi's
---------------------------------------------
*insert World Champion here*

Micheal Cole: *insert wrestler here* just wont the World Heavyweight Title, Ican't believe i...

*jewberg comes in and pins him*

Tazz: NEW CHAMP

Micheal Cole: WTF

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
04-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Hey, come on now. Naitch was the one who booked Jewberg to win the belt in a dark match.

The Naitch
05-01-2006, 02:50 AM
Didn't Bret Hart win the title off someone during a house show? ;)

I only did that because I couldn't wait another week to swerve James. I have no patience :lol:

61woods
05-03-2006, 05:34 PM
It is not hard. If you are a male, you have to do some MAJOR ass-kissing, and if you are a woman (an attractive one at that) you have to seduce and sleep with Vince McMahon. The same works for corporate America.