PDA

View Full Version : Memories of when wrestling was accepted in the mainstream

The Naitch
04-28-2006, 02:35 AM
Like today, it's not cool to be a wrestling fan

But back then, ahh, the memories

nWo parties: Had nothing to do with wrestling, but my firends' older brother would have these nWo parties. Everyone had the shirts on, even if they weren't fans. The girls had the small shirts, and I remember having an nWo flag somewhere. Looking back at some photos, the hottest chick in school at the time, was passing through with some skinny white boy holding a beer with an nWo t-shirt on. We spraypainted nWo on the wall of Kunk Lee's Tae Kwon Do. It's still there to this day.

DX: I wasnt into wrestling in 98, but this guy I became friends with kept doingt he DX crotch chop. It caught on, that is all I can say. We would crotch chop the cat, his mom, his mom's boyfriend. Or maybe it's because the guy was white trash

Maybe it's because I was a teenager back then.

Will wrestling ever be as popular as the Attitude Era again?

Mister Sinister
04-28-2006, 02:37 AM
I remember when I had an Nitro Party in late 98..

The One
04-28-2006, 02:39 AM
I went to some big nWo parties back in the day.

Personally, I think it will be a long time before wrestling get's that mainstream. You also have to remember a lot of it was all because of Ted Turner's connections.

The Naitch
04-28-2006, 02:43 AM
it was so bad that we had the nWo Clubhouse.

a pink flamingo nWoe'd outside. Was pissed on that alot

the door had 'nWo Members' only

the other side of the door had a pic of Scott Hall telling you 'Hey Yo, to close the door'

then we had the nWo posters. The nWo dolls hung on the wall. The belts. Some toilet paper, from an infamous night one time

also some street sign that had the letters nWo so we blacked all the other letters and now it says NWO street

The guy lives in his own house now, but this is his parents' basement and the memorabilia is still in tact

sometimes it was embarrassing, but nobody complained.

The Naitch
04-28-2006, 02:44 AM
funny the guy won't even talk about wrestling these days.

The One
04-28-2006, 02:49 AM
Oh and I have seen countless poeple give the Wolfpac/Kliq handsign and have done the Crotch Chop. They even usually say "Suck It!" while they do it too. Also I see a lot of people do the People's Eyebrow.

I knew a few guys who used to always to say "You'll never forget the name...*suck in air*...Goldust!" and they would do the rub the body thing...they wern't wrestling fans, I guess they saw some other kids do it once and they thought it was hilarious.

Nark Order
04-28-2006, 02:53 AM
To this day my friends and I get together and watch RAW/SD every monday and thursday (picture in the photo forum for you doubters.) We eventually stopped inviting alot of the girls because they ruined the show for us alot, but we used to have 5-11 girls show up every time.

Flair Wooo
04-28-2006, 01:45 PM
What the fuck is an nwo party? Is this "only in america" shit or sumet?

The One
04-28-2006, 02:18 PM
What the fuck is an nwo party? Is this "only in america" shit or sumet?

I am sure you remember that back in the day they had nWo merchandise for everything...and when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING. I am also fairly certain you have heard of themed parties? Togas, Pimps'N'Whores, Trailer Park Trash...etc....well an nWo party was just a party with the theme of nWo. You would drink out of nWo cups, everyone had on nWo shirts, everyone was dressed in black, we would hang nWo flags, banners, and put the sticers everywhere. Once we even had the "nWo ARM Wrestling Tournament" which was a lot of fun, I ended up losing in the Semi-Finals, but only because the guy I faced was left handed and he won the coin toss for what hands to use. Anyway that's pretty much what an nWo party is, it also opened the door for drunk guys to do some wrestling moves and break stuff over their heads, and it was a perfect excuse for people to exhaust their entire knowledge of wrestling by cutting "promos" on people using the word BROTHER a million times. God I think I even have some of the parties partially on tape somewhere...

Some of the best parties I have ever been to were nWo parties.

Flair Wooo
04-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Errm ok :shifty: .... I would smoke you in an arm wrestling contest though :D

The One
04-28-2006, 02:22 PM
Think so?

Nervous Ferret
04-28-2006, 02:26 PM
I could totally see The One and Flair Wooo! locked in a heated battle, only until The One leans over and kisses him on the cheek and Flair Wooo! gives up.

Flair Wooo
04-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Think so?

I know so ;) :D

What Would Kevin Do?
04-28-2006, 02:32 PM
The People's Eyebrow was done before the rock, it just wasn't called The People's Eyebrow.

THat is all.

PullMyFinger
04-28-2006, 02:48 PM
lol Writing nWo on everything.

Forming feuds.

Saying "suck it!" and crotch chops all the time.

Saying "and that's the bottom line, cuz Stone Cold said so!"

lol I remember in home ec class we were going to make pancakes. LOLLLL b/c of the whole Rock thing...

I know, now when I tell people I watch wrestling, "you actually watch that garbage?!?!?!"

The One
04-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Oh and back in high school there were these three guys who on Mondays would dress up as Too Cool, I mean they had everything, and would do the dance in one of the 3rd main hallway of the school, they were Marky Too Sparky, Vikishi, and Grand Masta Scott-ay...why the Scott kid didn't take Scotty Too Hottys name I don't know, but hey, it was funny and people were always there to watch.

Oh yeah and this one guy, I think his name was Andrew, he used to wear a Lucha Libre mask all the time in the halls, but the school made him stop because of the school hat policy or some shit like that...I thought that was too bad since they never enforced the hat policy on anyone else.

Flair Wooo
04-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Wow non of this shit happened over here lol

Volare
04-28-2006, 04:08 PM
i still got my DX jersey and wear it...

works great at titty bars :D

Boondock Saint
04-28-2006, 06:32 PM
Crotch chop/telling people to suck it was popular. Also, "it doesn't matter..." was rather rampant throughout my high school.

Gray
04-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Wow non of this shit happened over here lol

Thats because youd get the shit kicked out of you

Luckily i never dared do anything like it!

Team Sheep
04-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Did the nWo logo used to be like the Yankees logo is now? Like, universally acknowledged, and used on EVERYTHING?

Stickman
04-28-2006, 07:24 PM
My highschool rugby field had a big "Pitt 3:16" in the endzones.

Boondock Saint
04-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Never heard of nWo parties, though.

PullMyFinger
04-28-2006, 08:59 PM
3:16, I forgot how big that was.

(insert last name) 3:16

Kane Knight
04-28-2006, 09:21 PM
One of my buddies and I used to do the whole NAO intro. We got in a lot of trouble because we actually got about a third of the lunch room to shout "Suck it!"

Mr. Nerfect
04-29-2006, 08:46 PM
I didn't catch into the wrestling phase until after it died down, but I had heard all about Stone Cold Steve Austin, Kane, Rikisihi (yes, Rikishi) and The Undertaker.

The WWE probably won't reach the mainstream level again until the kids who watch it now are in high school, and until the current group who hate it are old enough to influence younger people trying to rebel. Basically, I feel that next generation, regardless of how shitty the product is, it will catch on huge.

But if they continue to use guys like Paul Burchill, Ken Kennedy & Carlito, I can see wrestling working its way back into some kind of popularity. I really think cruiserweights could be a huge part of wrestling becomming mainstream, again. I mean, that's wha is really physically impressive. Some big guy who's only offense is an overhand chop is pretty lame, and fits the "fake" criteria of wrestling. Seeing Paul London do the London Calling, as staged as professional wrestling may be, is pretty impressive.

I am certain professional wrestling can be re-built to the monolith it once was, but it would take perfect crafting of every show, and the WWE is too lazy to do that. Hopefully with superstars like the aforementioned Ken Kennedy and Carlito, the WWE can have personalities which just may break out and catch on.

NeanderCarl
04-30-2006, 12:46 AM
The reason wrestling became so popular and mainstream, IMO, was because of the instantly accessable and memorable catchphrase culture...

Oh, you didn't know?
Suck It
Austin 3:16
Too Sweeet
It doesn't matter....
Smell what the Rock is cookin'?
And that's the bottom line...
I got two words for ya...
No chance in hell
You're fired!
Break it down
Have a nice day
I am that damn good
It's true, it's true
What?
Can you dig it, sucka?
Etc. Etc.

these were all phrases that just caught on big time, usually unintentionally. How many wicked catchphrases are there nowadays in wrestling? "You Suck"? "That's not cool?" Lame, no? The closest they have to a modern-day catchphrases warrior is Missssssteeeeer Kennedddddddaaaaay...... Kenneddddday.

Yeah, I reckon Ken Kennedy could be the next big break out star, if handled correctly. But who else comes close?

The One
04-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Johnny Jeter. Once he gets out of SS, he will take off.

Fox
05-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Here's a few personal memories that prove how widely accepted it was:

-In 5th grade, we had a DARE essay contest (the drug awareness program for kids), and I won because I was just a good writer back then. When I was told I had to give my speech in front of the entire 5th grade student body, my friends bet me to finish the speech differently than I had before. So I was up there, talking about how important it is not to use drugs, I wrap up my speech and finish it out with:

"AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE, CAUSE YOUR DARE OFFICER SAID SO!" I threw two fists into the air and walked off SCSA-style, to huge applause and the gratitude of my two best friends.

-In 5th grade, we used to walk around and tell the little kids (who were about waist high) to "SUCK IT."

-In 6th grade, there was a period of time where we walked around with toothpicks and would flick them in people's faces ala Scott Hall.

-At dances in 6th grade, I would lay on the floor and do the Shawn Michaels "suck it" crotch chops into the air to the music.

-Scotty 2 Hotty inspired me to the learn how to do "the worm."

-In 7th grade, I ran for Student Body President. On the front of my election poster I had a picture of myself doing the people's eyebrow, and my slogan was "Elect a Champion of the People." I won.

-During an assembly that year, I was "cutting a promo" on the student body when a friend from the only other Middle School in town showed up and "invaded" the assembly with intentions to destroy it. He came up to me wearing a shirt that read "HMS" (Hartman Middle School) and asked me if I was in, or out, offering me a shirt. I took it, put it on, and the crowd started to boo me. I shook his hand then gave him a Rock Bottom, tore off the shirt and threw it in his face. The crowd was going crazy.

-The Hartman kid returned a little later in the show with some of the football players (in full gear, of course). They chased me off the stage and proceeded to run down my school's football team. I returned and started teeing off on the football players's helmeted heads with a steel chair, chasing them off my stage.

These are all true stories, and some of the best wrestling related memories of my life.

TerranRich
05-01-2006, 12:27 PM
I remember wrestling with my best friend on his trampoline during the Attitude and nWo era, introducing each other, using foam noodles for weapons. :lol:

Now I can't even jump on the trampoline without getting winded and exhausted. :(