PDA

View Full Version : Devon says, " I DON'T WANNA BE A PART OF THE NEW ECW"...

neuicon
05-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Credit: http://www.pwinsider.com/

Listen to the audio @: http://worldwrestlinginsanity.com/

This week's edition of JG's Radio Free Insanity is on the air and available for download at www.WorldWrestlingInsanity.com. The show, as always, is free. This week, host James Guttman is joined by Team 3D’s Brother Devon.

James opens the show by talking about the Joey Styles shoot on Monday. JG goes into detail on why Joey’s stint didn’t work and how the same could hold true for WWE’s ECW brand. James also speaks out on the strengths of Styles and how they played out in ECW, the major problems with an ECW re-launch, Todd Grisham’s position in the company, Grisham’s reputation among coworkers, and more. After that, he reads the weekly Moment of Insanity before going to Part 2.

James starts off by talking about the upcoming release of World Wrestling Insanity: The Book. Guttman brings up the Styles “shoot” again. In it, Joey talked about the words he was told not to say on the air. JG says that the full list is in World Wrestling Insanity along with many other things that announcers and employees are told. He also says there’s also lot on ECW and WWE’s feelings towards it in the book.

After that, JG welcomes Brother Devon to the show.

Devon begins by talking about the feeling backstage at TNA. He says that it’s great how they’re all on the same page and want to see TNA succeed. He’s also proud that TNA is bringing back a respect for wrestling. D-Von says that he’s not knocking WWE, but isn’t “trying to be Brad Pitt.” He does the skits and vignettes, but his real skill is wrestling in the ring. He’s also happy to be back together with Spike.

Guttman compares the environment backstage at the upstart ECW to that of the upstart TNA. He asks if it’s different than wrestling for a company that’s already on the top. Devon says it is. He says they worked their way up in ECW and feels it can be done with TNA. He says there’s many stars throughout the promotion. He then names a number of them. However, he calls BG and Kip James by their WWE names and says that it’s hard to keep track.

JG segues from that into the issue of names. He says that BG James was on the show a few weeks ago and said that he’s afraid he’ll slip and call Kip “Billy” on TV. Then, a few days later, he did. Guttman asks if it’s hard to keep track of who’s who now. Devon says that he’s done it with Ron Killings a number of times. He makes the mistake of calling him “K-Kwik.” He says that he can’t keep track of TNA names and won’t be able to remember “Kip James.” D-Von says we might be getting some letters from WWE saying, “You can’t say this.”

James asks about WWE taking the Dudley name away. D-Von says it was a slap in the face. WWE did sort of put them on the map, but they were already there. They were already on TNN, making money and playing the characters before going to WWE. WWE didn’t create the Dudleys, but they say they can’t use the name. To which Devon says, “Which we are fighting and we will continue to fight.” James asks if it was personal or business. D-Von says they were just being bullies because they have big lawyers. WWE says that TNA isn’t a threat, yet they do things like this. D-Von says he could understand if it was someone like the Undertaker, who WWE created, he would understand the name situation. JG brings up how it was lucky that they were wearing 3D on their shirts for years. Devon says their names don’t matter. People see them and know who they are.

Guttman then asks about the famous table spots with Terri Runnels and Mae Young. Devon tells the story of who came up with idea and how Mae reacted to the situation.

JG asks about Vince McMahon’s ECW and D-Von says:

“I want you to put this in big bold letters. I DO NOT WANT TO BE A PART OF THE ECW. I am not going to be a part of the ECW reunion that’s coming up in June and I definitely don’t want to be a part of the new formation of ECW’s organization. As far as I’m concerned, I’m very proud of what we accomplished in ECW. What we did at One Night Stand. As far as I’m concerned, that’s the way we should have went out in ECW and at One Night Stand. As far as I’m concerned that’s the final chapter of my career in terms of that company. I don’t want people to think, “Oh, we’ve heard that before” this and that, but I feel very strongly about that. I’m not saying that, you know, I’m never ever ever going to go back to WWE, but right now I’m not looking to go back to WWE. I’m happy in TNA. TNA has done the right thing by us.”

Devon praises Paul Heyman’s genius and says that it was Paul that made ECW successful. Ironically, when talk turns to the Reverend D-Von character, Devon says that it was Heyman’s influence that inadvertently killed it. Paul wanted him to push the envelope with the character, which went against how WWE wanted it portrayed. In the end, it died out. Devon goes into detail on what Paul had him say and do that hurt the character.

At another point in the interview, James brings up how Devon used to wrestle as A-Train. He asks if about Albert eventually using the name and D-Von says it was just a coincidence. He’d joke with Albert when he saw him. D-Von would say that he still had rights to the name, so Albert couldn’t use it.

The interview continued on with Devon talking about the wrestlers who might work for the new ECW, if it can survive, what’s different now, Hulk Hogan, working a battle royal with him, memories of wrestling growing up, and much, much more. JG's Radio Free Insanity is on the air each and every Friday. James Guttman's book, World Wrestling Insanity, is now available for pre-order at Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, Highspots.com and wherever else books are sold.

redoneja
05-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Hmm. Good for him.

KingofOldSchool
05-07-2006, 07:45 PM
He would if they offered him enough money.

Kane Knight
05-07-2006, 08:17 PM
12 people were disappointed.

redoneja
05-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Sadly they were:

Dudley Dudley
Little Snot Dudley
Dances With Dudley
Chubby Dudley
Sign Guy Dudley
Cousin Luke Dudley
Cousin Butch Dudley
Studley Dudley
Little Spike Dudley
Lady Dudley

and 2 Dudley marks

BlackDawn2024
05-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Didn't want to, or they didn't offer?

Kane Knight
05-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Sadly they were:

Dudley Dudley
Little Snot Dudley
Dances With Dudley
Chubby Dudley
Sign Guy Dudley
Cousin Luke Dudley
Cousin Butch Dudley
Studley Dudley
Little Spike Dudley
Lady Dudley

and 2 Dudley marks

Sadly, half of the actual ECW audience was included there. :shifty:

neuicon
05-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Do you suppose the ECW fans really aren't phased by the fact that a couple of ECW's past wrestlers are badmouthing the NEW ECW?

Example: Steve Corino, Devon and such...

Dorkchop
05-07-2006, 10:08 PM
As long as he's happy.

Loose Cannon
05-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Sadly they were:

Dudley Dudley
Little Snot Dudley
Dances With Dudley
Chubby Dudley
Sign Guy Dudley
Cousin Luke Dudley
Cousin Butch Dudley
Studley Dudley
Little Spike Dudley
Lady Dudley

and 2 Dudley marks

who was Studley? never heard of him

redoneja
05-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Joel Gertner, I believe he made mention of himself being Studley Dudley at either Barely Legal or Wrestlepalooza 97.

Loose Cannon
05-07-2006, 10:23 PM
oh ok.

HeartBreakMan2k
Do you suppose the ECW fans really aren't phased by the fact that a couple of ECW's past wrestlers are badmouthing the NEW ECW?

Example: Steve Corino, Devon and such...

Actually, those wrestlers (guys who were cornerstones of ECW at one point or another) bad mouthing the new "ECW" probably hold a great deal in how many "Smart ECW" fans look at the promotion. ECW fans (and I'll be honest, when it comes to ECW this statement I will be included) are elitist, and with "ECW" flying under a WWE fan it is hard for some of those fans to get behind, with the alumni bad mouthing it, it will be even harder. WWE has ALOT of work to do to win over those fans.

HeartBreakMan2k
Joel Gertner, I believe he made mention of himself being Studley Dudley at either Barely Legal or Wrestlepalooza 97.

Wrestlepalooza

redoneja
05-07-2006, 10:28 PM
I knew it was one of them, I just watched both dvds last night and couldn't remember. :y:

neuicon
05-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Actually, those wrestlers (guys who were cornerstones of ECW at one point or another) bad mouthing the new "ECW" probably hold a great deal in how many "Smart ECW" fans look at the promotion. ECW fans (and I'll be honest, when it comes to ECW this statement I will be included) are elitist, and with "ECW" flying under a WWE fan it is hard for some of those fans to get behind, with the alumni bad mouthing it, it will be even harder. WWE has ALOT of work to do to win over those fans.

Thanks for the notice. I do in fact see how the WWE will have to get into a lot of hard work in order to cater to the ECW fans, but I hope it all works out in the long run, not just for the ECW Wrestlers, but for the ECW fans as well...

James Steele
05-07-2006, 10:33 PM
:lol:

Steve Corino isn't bad mouthing the "new ECW" or ONS. He just wants to remember ECW for what it was.

neuicon
05-07-2006, 10:37 PM
From what I have heard, he doesn't see a need to go back to ECW, nor does he feel it will succeed...

Corkscrewed
05-08-2006, 04:35 AM
As long as he sticks to his guns, good for him. :y:

Shadow
05-08-2006, 01:05 PM
WWE.com is proud to announce that D-Von Dudley has been signed to the new ECW promotion.