PDA

View Full Version : Hey Rob

Loose Cannon
02-03-2004, 05:30 PM
I know this was llike 2 years ago, but whatever happened to those 100 Greatest moments in Wrestling we were voting on a while back and you were writing up? I'm curious as to what #1 was going to be. I just thought about them again

Rob
02-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Basically a combination of me getting a new job and having less time to do stuff online and this site going rapidly downhill from the status I thought it deserved (that's another big story) made me stop it. I had all the results and got through about 40 in depth write ups. Basically did the hardest ones first because I knew I'd be able to write about the big stuff without a second thought.

Never told the results ever to anyone so this is the first time now.

1 - Montreal
2 - Owen Hart's death (these two were absolutely miles ahead of everyone else)
3 - NWO forming at Bash At The Beach
4 - WCW buy out
5 - WrestleMania 3
6 - Mick Foley coming off the HIAC
7 - Scott Hall on Nitro
8 - WrestleMania 1
9 - Hogan vs. Warrior @ Mania 6
10 - WWF Attitude era (includes Austin/McMahon and DX)

That was the top ten and it was clear as day what the top two were going to be after the first 20 emails. Got some amazing number of responses too (over 500 from at least 10 different countries). Shame what the end result was. I considered doing it at another site but decided against it at the end.

If anyone wants to know where a certain moment placed then ask. Only ask for one though because I don't want to write it all.

Loose Cannon
02-03-2004, 06:06 PM
Thanks a lot for the info Rob. Wow at Hogan-Warrior placing in the top ten. I wouldn't of ever picked that to be that far down. Was the Hart Foundation formation any where on there? I voted that #1 I remember.

Dam, I have to spread some rep around before giving it to you again :-\

Vega
02-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Actually, I could have sworn you posted these before. I think you did all 100.

Loose Cannon
02-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Actually, I could have sworn you posted these before. I think you did all 100.

Nah, a few people posted there 100 moments and then wrote about a paragraph on each moment in that thread. I know 91 did that and like two other people. I just listed mine. I wish I could find that thread again.

Vega
02-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Hmm, maybe it was 91. But I remember reading another person's list that had Montreal as #1 and Owen's death as #2

MVP
02-03-2004, 08:06 PM
I'm surprised the nWo formation at Bash at the Beach '96 is higher than the WCW buy-out.

Boondock Saint
02-03-2004, 08:09 PM
Why would Owen's death be considered one of the greatest moments in wrestling?

sadio8
02-03-2004, 08:44 PM
hhhmmm interesting to say the least Rob. Owen's death as one of the greatest moments in wrestling? Maybe one of the greatest tragedies in wrestling but certainly not one of the greatest.

Maybe you can hopefully if you don't mind elaborate on that choice for owens death?

Gerard
02-03-2004, 08:47 PM

Wouldn't mind knowing that myself :wtf:

Innovator
02-03-2004, 08:49 PM
biggest moments it is up there, but I tend to block out Owen's death

loopydate
02-03-2004, 08:54 PM

I figured he meant it as "great" as in "big" not "great" as in "really good."

Boondock Saint
02-03-2004, 10:06 PM
I figured he meant it as "great" as in "big" not "great" as in "really good."

ya prolly

Loose Cannon
02-03-2004, 10:19 PM
yeah it was like the 100 "biggest" moments in wrestling, not like what you guys are thinking.

Rob
02-04-2004, 01:27 PM
To clear up any confusion:

- I didn't call what I was doing "The Top 100 greatest moments". It was the most memorable. I knew Montreal and Owen's death would piss it so to call them "great" is an insult to everyone.

- I NEVER posted this nor told anyone the results before.

- The public voted for it so don't blame me for the results. I never even voted because I didn't want to be accused of anything.

- Hart Foundation reunion/Canadian Stampede placed at #25

KingofOldSchool
02-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Neither of them should be in the top ten...well maybe Montreal, but not Owen's death.

Kane Knight
02-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Neither of them should be in the top ten...well maybe Montreal, but not Owen's death.

Because nobody even remember's Owen's death, or what?

Sorry, having trouble seeing reasoning in this. :|

KingofOldSchool
02-04-2004, 02:09 PM
Did I say that?

Where did I say that nobody remember's his death?

I just don't think it should be in the top 10.

Hell I'd rank Andre The Giant's death higher than Owen's.

Kane Knight
02-04-2004, 02:10 PM
yeah it was like the 100 "biggest" moments in wrestling, not like what you guys are thinking.

One would think it was obvious.

Does anyone really think that we're out there CELEBRATING Owen Hart's death?

"Greatest" isn't always for better, and it should be evident that people aren't talking about the BEST moments...

Kane Knight
02-04-2004, 02:12 PM
Did I say that?

Uhhhh...

See that little "?" thing at the end of my statement there?

It's called asking a question. You even did it yourself.

Calm down. It's far from worth killing yourself over.

BigDaddyCool
02-04-2004, 02:13 PM
write them all, bitch :p

Rob
02-04-2004, 02:23 PM
Did I say that?

Where did I say that nobody remember's his death?

I just don't think it should be in the top 10.

Hell I'd rank Andre The Giant's death higher than Owen's.

Andre might have been a bigger name but he was done with wrestling when he died and was not the man newer fans were told about. Owen Hart was a modern day star who died on a live PPV at the peak of the WWF's popularity. His "tribute" show was also the highest rated Raw ever at the time. It was also more recent and it was the present day fans who voted and that age group knew more of Owen than Andre.

As a neutral, I'd still say Owen's death is more memorable. More fans will remember where they were when Owen Hart died than where they were when Andre died. Out of the top 10, at least 6 would have made my own personal top 10.

Rob
02-04-2004, 02:26 PM
To add to what I wrote, in comparison to "our" top 10, Slam wrestling did a top 30. It was wrestling historians who complied their chart and I think it looked more realistic than this one and Owen Hart's death placed at #4 on their list with Andre's death nowhere in sight.

Andre placed #64 on the TPWW list for the record. Other deaths that made the list were Brian Pillman (#21), Brusier Brody (#37) and the Von Erichs (#100).