PDA

View Full Version : The least watched Champ in years

Stickman
05-13-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm curious about the ratings that smackdown is pulling in. I'm only speaking from personal preference but I haven't watched 5 minutes of Smackdown since Rey won the belt. I probably won't watch either. I'm not trying to bash Rey as he is a good worker, but as Champ, I don't buy it and couldn't care less. I don't know if anything will make me watch Smackdown so I am being rather pessimistic. But does anybody know what kind of ratings Rey is bringing in?

Xero
05-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Look at it this way: Last week (I believe) SmackDown! pulled in around a 2.5. Normally this would happen if a major market is prempted. The New York market (one of the biggest) wasn't.

Either they killed it with the move to Friday (which is technically possible) or Rey is a horrible champion even to the most casual fan.

The One
05-13-2006, 12:41 PM
I happened to catch SmackDown last night, which honestly is something I don't do much off. JBL's opening promo was incredible, but then we had an hour and a half of literally NOHTING worth seeing before JBL came out to do commentary. Booker T has been ruined by Sharmell, Lashley is about as charismatic as a door, any time I see Finlay I just keep thinking about the rumored debut of a midget, and The Gymini had a boring chant that despite attempts to fade it out it still came through. Khali is shit. Henry is shit and he went over the Pirate who I can't figure out why or how he gets reactions. Angle's promo with Long was as weak as Taco Bell's mild scauce. Even the Cruiserweight action was terrible...and Helms needs to stay the fuck away from the commentary booth...forever! JBL was literally the only thing worth watching the whole damn show, but then on Velocity Benoit took on Regal in a very good match. Tell me how Regal and Benoit are have been having their matches on Velocity while Khali, Henry, Gymini, Sharmell, Lashley, some fucking Pirate, weak Cruisers, and even no name jobbers get TV time.

I pray every week UPN wakes up and gets rid of SmackDown, just to throw it in McMahon's face. It would force WWE to merge the rosters and we could get rid of the usless talent hanging around WWE's locker room...you know guys like Animal, Ashley, Bashems, Boogeyman, Cade, Cole, Conway, Dean, Daivari, Dupree, Estrada, Eugene, Goldust, Grisham, Gymini, Hall, Henry, Holly, Jordon, Kash, Khali, Lashley, Long, Masters, Parisi, Psicosis, Romero, Sharmell, Snitsky, Tatanka, Torrie (and Chloe), Umaga, Viscera and the cross dressing Vito...and while your att it make Nunzio and Richards Road Agents since they arn't worth mentioning as wrestlers anymore.

St. Jimmy
05-13-2006, 03:03 PM
takes the heat off of Cena... <_<

Kane Knight
05-13-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm gonna be fair to Rey. Ratings have been going down since before he became champion. He probably hans't helped matters, but that's a different matter entirely.

Savio
05-13-2006, 04:03 PM
The smackdown after wrestlemania was the last full one I watched.

6to1
05-13-2006, 04:49 PM
i tivo it and it takes me about 45 min's to watch it at most. i like bookers wife as long as she is not wrestling.

Kane Knight
05-13-2006, 07:18 PM
i tivo it and it takes me about 45 min's to watch it at most. i like bookers wife as long as she is not wrestling.

Sounds like me and Raw.

...Which is down by roughly half a point as of 1st May.

Xero
05-13-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm starting to find myself slipping from SmackDown!, especially now that it's on on Saturdays. (When pre-empted, which is almost every week.)

Rarely will I watch it first air and just watch the MCE'd version of it.

I seem to be able to stay with RAW longer than SmackDown!

Mr. Nerfect
05-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Smackers is still much better than RAW, in my opinion. MNM vs. Paul London & Brian Kendrick, the possibly chance of a cruiserweight sighting and the way new talent actually gets over on SmackDown! gives me a warm feeling RAW doesn't.

The Great Khali was impressive this week, but it is nothing he does. It is his opponent bustig his ass to make him look like a monster. He needs to go. I would laugh if he gave Undertaker the same treatment at Judgment Day, though. Khali squashing Taker might actually get him over.

I've actually taken to liking The Gymini in recent weeks. Keep them on Velocity, though. They'll probably be sent back to DSW when Simon Dean makes the jump to ECW. These guys are still undefeated in tag team matches, aren't they? Keep them that way, just have them spend a lot of their time training. One of these days they may be a solid addition to the tag team division.

Helms was great on commentary, in my opinion. He is charismatic as Hell, and he can talk. JBL is good on commentary, too, but I'm going to have to say Helms did it more for me. The only part I remember of JBL's commentary is Rey attacking him. Sorry, The One. :(

Looking at Velocity, I really have to wonder how either Gunner Scott vs. Orlando Jordan or Matt Hardy vs. Simon Dean didn't take place on SmackDown! in place of The Gymini squash. Chris Benoit vs. William Regal I can understand, due to time restraints, but solid little matches involving the future of your company contesting itself is never a bad idea, in my opinion.

I want to know what Paul Burchill has done to piss people off. This gimmick has helped him leaps and bounds in terms of his screen presence, but his credibility may be out the window soon.

It really disturbs me they only have one week until Judgment Day and they don't have Chris Benoit booked, yet. I say just go all out and have Chris Benoit vs. Gunner Scott vs. William Regal vs. Paul Burchill vs. Finlay vs. Matt Hardy in a Six-Pack Contender's Match, where the winner gets a title shot of their choice.

Xero
05-13-2006, 07:39 PM
What, no Doug?

Batsu
05-13-2006, 08:19 PM
I'm gonna be fair to Rey. Ratings have been going down since before he became champion. He probably hans't helped matters, but that's a different matter entirely.

True.

and dammit, NO ROSTER UNIFICATION.

You think the bitching about Cena being champ was bad <i>now</i>...imagine if the entire WWE roster was one united under Cena.

Skippord
05-13-2006, 09:41 PM
I swear to god I want to shoot JBL in the face for saying Machismo every three and a half seconds

Kane Knight
05-13-2006, 10:01 PM
True.

and dammit, NO ROSTER UNIFICATION.

You think the bitching about Cena being champ was bad now...imagine if the entire WWE roster was one united under Cena.

Yeah, but I don't think it much makes a difference either way. I mean, WWE programming blows with Cena as champ. WWE programs blows with Mysterio as champ.

Basically, what I'm saying is the championship scene sucks period, so I don't think it matters one way or the other.

WWE is booking shit, that's the bottom line.

Savio
05-13-2006, 10:09 PM
Just saw it today

looks like WWE is using Ideas from the sopranos (vito angle) I think Kane might show up next week to face rey. Dunno though.

Mr. Nerfect
05-13-2006, 10:54 PM
Just saw it today

looks like WWE is using Ideas from the sopranos (vito angle) I think Kane might show up next week to face rey. Dunno though.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Kane is going to beat Rey next week, which is fine by me.

I don't know how this turned into a topic about roster unification, but I would LOVE to see the rosters join together once more. If not that, at least unify some titles and have the Champion appear on both shows. John Cena is WWE Champion, Rob Van Dam is Intercontinental Champion, The Spirit Squad are Tag Team Champions, Gregory Helms is Cruiserweight Champion and Mickie James is Women's Champion.

It makes everything less cluttered, plus the shows would be more organic. With superstars leaving for ECW, this also covers up the wounds.

Innovator
05-14-2006, 01:34 AM
It doesn't matter whose the champ on Smackdown, it's a sinking ship right now

The Heat
05-14-2006, 02:11 AM
It doesn't matter whose the champ on Smackdown, it's a sinking ship right now

It's a sinking ship for several reasons;

-Rey Mysterio's whole "underdog" character.
-Being labeled as the "B-Show"
-Lack of big name talent
-no major interesting feuds.

SmackDown is still the better WRESTLING show, but, RAW is leaps and bounds above SD in the entertainment aspect. I say draft Cena back to SD[along with someone else, maybe HBK] and then have a mini-draft of sorts trading some mid-lower card talent[Hardcore Holly, Booker T, Val Venis, Shelton Benjamin, Haas, etc].

SmackDown can improve, but, it desperately needs more stars. Another issue is the non-live aspect. Too many spoilers are up by the time SD is on. Make SD a live Tuesday show and they will improve drastically.

Doubtful that'll EVER happen.

RP
05-14-2006, 02:35 AM
Lets just be honest. Some point in the past 5 years either the WWE stopped really caring about putting a decent product on TV and PPV's or Vince McMahon has literally lost his mind and needs to be replaced by his son.

Corkscrewed
05-14-2006, 02:50 AM
Goodness, if anyone said two years ago that JBL would be the only reason I'd be interested in SmackDOWN, I'd probably punch you, but lo and behold, with Burchill's newfound burial, JBL suddenly is.

Wow.

RP
05-14-2006, 02:54 AM
I've been saying the guy is gold ever since he one the title the first time. He's not as bad of a wrestler as everyone says he is. He doesnt have all the moves, but he tells a great story in the ring.

Extreme Angle
05-14-2006, 02:58 AM
Yeah i feel the same way...
But its May 19th next friday and JBL didn't announce Rey's opponent...
Could be Kane maybe?

Mr. Nerfect
05-14-2006, 02:59 AM
Eh, I think SmackDown! is fine for big name talent. I mean they have Batista, Randy Orton, Kurt Angle, Rey Mysterio, JBL, Booker T & Chris Benoit as former World Champions. Plus, with Ken Kennedy returning soon, the SD!'s main event scene is going to be the place to be.

SmackDown! just needs to stop shoving Rey down people's throats. I think he should beat JBL at Judgment Day, unifying the World Heavyweight Championship and WWE United States Championship. Make the match for both, which allows the WWE to focus on their Tag Team and Cruiserweight Champioships a bit more. They don't really have a mid-card so to speak, they just have main eventers step down into the mid-card to carry the belt. Let the big boys go for the big belt, and the little guys can go for the little belt. Make both titles as prestigious as each other.

The person who dethrones Rey Mysterio should be Booker T, in my opinion. With Batista on the way back, and the alledged tension between them, it all seems to work out nicely. You can even give Booker T a make-over by calling him "Royal T" and re-name the spinaroonie the Kingaroonie. This is assuming Booker T beats Bobby Lashley at Judgment Day.

Mr. Nerfect
05-14-2006, 03:05 AM
Yeah i feel the same way...
But its May 19th next friday and JBL didn't announce Rey's opponent...
Could be Kane maybe?

I'm certain it will be Kane. I will mark out like a little bitch if it is.

How awesome would it be if Rey Mysterio went to see Theodore Long and asked Teddy to make his match against JBL's opponent to be for the World Heavyweight Championship, because if he can't defeat the ment JBL throws at him, he doesn't deserve to be Champion. Long agrees, and says that if Rey Mysterio loses tonight, he will still face JBL at Judgment Day, but it will be for the WWE United States Championship. The World Heavyweight Champion will defend the title in a Battle Royal or something.

Kane beats Rey Mysterio for the World Heavyweight Championship, so it will be Kane vs. a bunch of guys in a Battle Royal for the WHC at Judgment Day. Rey Mysterio can beat JBL for the US Title, which makes Mysterio look somewhat good coming out of this feud.

Skippord
05-14-2006, 03:29 AM
Alright Alienoid needs to write for WWE

Kane Knight
05-14-2006, 09:43 AM
It's a sinking ship for several reasons;

-Rey Mysterio's whole "underdog" character.
-Being treated as the "B-Show"
-Lack of big name talent
-no major interesting feuds.

Kane Knight
05-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Eh, I think SmackDown! is fine for big name talent. I mean they have Batista (Injured twice already, OOC), Randy Orton (Might not be coming back, off our screen), Kurt Angle (Biggest star, and also a severe health risk, is only part of Smackdown as an attempt to remedy current star power issues) , Rey Mysterio (Who nobody buys as a main eventer, can only get non-Eddie chants in his hometown, and even then, not many, JBL (Hardly draws, not exactly a "star" to most), Booker T & Chris Benoit (Neither, again, are really stars, though both have been big in the past) as former World Champions. Plus, with Ken Kennedy (Kennedy is not a big name, a main eventer, or even well established. Why not just toss in Doug Basham?) returning soon, the SD!'s main event scene is going to be the place to be.

SmackDown! just needs to stop shoving Rey down people's throats. (Because the ratings were just so good before Mysterio got involved)

NeanderCarl
05-14-2006, 09:26 PM
The fact that Ken Kennedy is being regarded as a huge star, despite barely being around the WWE scene and having been out of commission for months on top, is either a very positive sign that Kennedy is destined for big things and that the fans are quite ready to accept him in a bigger role... or it could just mean that the WWE fans are so DESPERATE for something, ANYTHING to cling onto, to hope for, to save the SmackDown show, that they are willing to reach out and grab anybody half-decent who comes along (because Kennedy is virtually unproven.)

If the latter is really true, then WWE ought to be ashamed that they the recent additions to the roster have been so piss-poor that they can't even get over with the rabidly desperate fans of the talent-starved SmackDown brand.

NeanderCarl
05-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Oh, and Finlay is a standout SmackDown star, but he is in his 50's and is not the long-term solution in any way, shape or form.

Kane Knight
05-14-2006, 10:01 PM
The fact that Ken Kennedy is being regarded as a huge star, despite barely being around the WWE scene and having been out of commission for months on top, is either a very positive sign that Kennedy is destined for big things and that the fans are quite ready to accept him in a bigger role... or it could just mean that the WWE fans are so DESPERATE for something, ANYTHING to cling onto, to hope for, to save the SmackDown show, that they are willing to reach out and grab anybody half-decent who comes along (because Kennedy is virtually unproven.)

If the latter is really true, then WWE ought to be ashamed that they the recent additions to the roster have been so piss-poor that they can't even get over with the rabidly desperate fans of the talent-starved SmackDown brand.

TBH, you just described half of TPWW. The other half clings to ANYTHING. I'm still trying to figure out the continued Boogeyman lust.

Kennedy is unproven, and while I'm a fan, I think we should avoid calling him a big star (He isn't) or elevating him, given no real evidence he will go anywhere.

IT also proves how shitty the ME scene really is.

Kane Knight
05-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Oh, and Finlay is a standout SmackDown star, but he is in his 50's and is not the long-term solution in any way, shape or form.

And really, he should be midcard at best.

Executioner
05-14-2006, 11:20 PM
I happened to catch SmackDown last night, which honestly is something I don't do much off. JBL's opening promo was incredible, but then we had an hour and a half of literally NOHTING worth seeing before JBL came out to do commentary. Booker T has been ruined by Sharmell, Lashley is about as charismatic as a door, any time I see Finlay I just keep thinking about the rumored debut of a midget, and The Gymini had a boring chant that despite attempts to fade it out it still came through. Khali is shit. Henry is shit and he went over the Pirate who I can't figure out why or how he gets reactions. Angle's promo with Long was as weak as Taco Bell's mild scauce. Even the Cruiserweight action was terrible...and Helms needs to stay the fuck away from the commentary booth...forever! JBL was literally the only thing worth watching the whole damn show, but then on Velocity Benoit took on Regal in a very good match. Tell me how Regal and Benoit are have been having their matches on Velocity while Khali, Henry, Gymini, Sharmell, Lashley, some fucking Pirate, weak Cruisers, and even no name jobbers get TV time.

I pray every week UPN wakes up and gets rid of SmackDown, just to throw it in McMahon's face. It would force WWE to merge the rosters and we could get rid of the usless talent hanging around WWE's locker room...you know guys like Animal, Ashley, Bashems, Boogeyman, Cade, Cole, Conway, Dean, Daivari, Dupree, Estrada, Eugene, Goldust, Grisham, Gymini, Hall, Henry, Holly, Jordon, Kash, Khali, Lashley, Long, Masters, Parisi, Psicosis, Romero, Sharmell, Snitsky, Tatanka, Torrie (and Chloe), Umaga, Viscera and the cross dressing Vito...and while your att it make Nunzio and Richards Road Agents since they arn't worth mentioning as wrestlers anymore.

vBulletin Message
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The One again.

Kane Knight
05-14-2006, 11:44 PM
What amazes me is that WWE fans know how to chant boring. WWE fans seem to be the entertainment equivalent of the force-fed pig or chicken. It's like they've just got some feeding tube they let the shit slide down. About the only time I'm not embarrassed to watch the same programming as them is when they go DEAD silent on Chris Masters.

It's amazing people pay money for this shit. I mean, honestly, I don't mind the programming a whole lot, but it's free. I've more or less stopped buying PPVs, I've stopped caring about when WWE comes near VErmont, and I only watch about half of a given show. How can people shell out good money for such a bad product, especially when they do get dead quiet, or boo John Cena, or chant boring?

Kane Knight
05-14-2006, 11:50 PM
What amazes me is that TPWW won't stop double posting on me.

Sadistic
05-15-2006, 09:40 AM
I haven't watched 1 smackdown since Rey has been the champion aswell.

I hate it and I don't buy it. Now if he was the cruiserweight champion THEN I'd gladly watch smackdown.

Kane Knight
05-15-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm surprised your hardon for John Cena hasn't lead you to declare Rey the greatest champ in years.

The One
05-15-2006, 06:08 PM
vBulletin Message
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The One again.

Meanwhile some guy named "The Dub" neg'd me because he disagreed with everything I said. So of course, if you disagree with someone you should always hand out neg rep.:shifty:

Xero
05-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Actually that IS the point of rep, according to the rep page anyway...

What do you think of The One's post?
I approve
I disapprove
Your comments on this post:

Xero
05-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Wait, shit, it says "approve", not "agree". Whoops. :$

The One
05-15-2006, 06:56 PM
I agree that it says approve.

Xero
05-15-2006, 07:20 PM
I concur. You win. :$

Kane Knight
05-15-2006, 11:02 PM
TOO SHAY

Afterlife
05-16-2006, 01:25 AM
Usually, I find The One to be spot-on. But where he saw JBL as "incredible", I saw him as tedius and irritating. Like, X-Pac style. I was grinding my teeth, trying not to scream at the television for the guy to shut the fuck up. The rest of the show was decent -- not spectaular, but decent. But damn...the guy is good in small doses, but really....he was hitting more nerves than I could count.

Kane Knight
05-16-2006, 10:00 AM
The best part about Rey's popularity is he was really booked to fail. And I don't mean this "fairytale" bullshit, or the fact that he's being made into an underdog at every possible occasion.

No, he was already booked to lose from the booking of the Rumble (What should have been his biggest moment was dwarved by Taker's need to be the last guy on the PPV. Not only that, but the lack of prescience that WWE possessed, in assuming they could build up Rey's win and then sweep it under the rug.

This was totally booked for failure from the get-go, and his title win was totally belittled by the afterthought with which it was given. So while a midget for champ seems stupid, while we're sick of his "fairytale" reign, and the champ getting beat up every week seems like it'd kill him, but this was totally stillborn.

The Heat
05-18-2006, 01:44 AM
It is well-documented that Rey's win was an emotional attempt to make him an Eddie Guerrero substitute.

Guess what? He's NOT Eddie. Never will be. The sooner WWE stop booking him as such and stop using his "underdog" aspect, Rey would be fine. He hasn't really had any major feuds and the ones he was in made him look too weak as KK pointed out.......

It'll be interesting to see how WWE will handle Mysterio once he loses the Heavyweight Title and is then on hiatus to get his knee surgery. Probably just push him back into Cruiserweight division.....

High Impact v.W.o
05-18-2006, 03:04 AM
Rey Mysterio shouldn't be near the Heavyweight Title. No disrespect towards him, but not many people will buy into him as the champ, and if he goes over the bigger guys, it's not going to make him look stronger, all it's going to do is make the bigger guys look weaker. (only +side is that MArk Henry's fued with Angle isn't for the Title)

Kane Knight
05-18-2006, 10:01 AM
I dunno. The fans seem to be unable to tell the difference between Rey and Eddie. I mean, they're still chanting for Eddie...:shifty:

MickieJames
06-23-2006, 12:18 AM
Because Rey is winning his matches for Eddie and when the fans chant "Eddie" then i guess it motivates Rey to win!

Corkscrewed
06-23-2006, 02:54 AM
You are really trying too hard to be an idiot, whoever you really are.