PDA

View Full Version : Now I get it!

NeanderCarl
05-14-2006, 01:05 AM
Even though I personally am not a fan, I could never QUITE work out why the crowds suddenly turned on John Cena.

His wrestling sucks, yes. But then, it has always sucked, yet he has been wildly popular in the past.

His gimmick stinks. But, minus the "free-styling", it's the same schtick he's had for over three years, including when he was possibly the most popular wrestler in the WWE.

I figured it must have just been a bandwagon thing... suddenly it's cool to boo Cena and it catches on with crowds nationwide. They don't do it because they ACTUALLY hate Cena, but because it's the latest trend.

Then I watched 5 Questions With The Champ on WWE.com.....

NOW I GET IT!

That man is the most annoying, patronising smarmy bastard I've ever had the misfortune to watch perform a perfectly excruciating monologue, during which he shamelessly plugged Kane's new movie, ECW and himself with all the charm of a discarded chewing gum stuck to a hunchback's boot.

If I didn't dislike the guy before, I certainly do now.

So the answer is, you cannot put John Cena in front of a camera on his own and broadcast it to the world if you want to get him over as a face. In fact I might go as far as to say that, considering the fact he's the same John Cena that the crowds popped for two years ago, "5 Questions With The Champ" may well have done a lot of damage to his career. The wave of dislike almost certainly stemmed from the ever-growing internet crowd, and its grown rapidly since the webcast started. Coincidence? Or proof that the web show exposes Cena as the trying-too-hard, obnoxious wannabe he actually is?

And the crazy thing is, his heel work in OVW was supposed to be incredible. And no rap gimmick either. So just let the man go back to something he can actually (allegedly) do well: piss people off... intentionally!

Anyone else believe "5 Questions" has played a role in the fans turning against him? Or am I just chatting bullshit?

Coz that was the first time I've seen it, and it made me dislike the guy immensly! (As a performer, as well as a character)

neuicon
05-14-2006, 01:26 AM
Even though I personally am not a fan, I could never QUITE work out why the crowds suddenly turned on John Cena.

His wrestling sucks, yes. But then, it has always sucked, yet he has been wildly popular in the past.

His gimmick stinks. But, minus the "free-styling", it's the same schtick he's had for over three years, including when he was possibly the most popular wrestler in the WWE.

I figured it must have just been a bandwagon thing... suddenly it's cool to boo Cena and it catches on with crowds nationwide. They don't do it because they ACTUALLY hate Cena, but because it's the latest trend.

Then I watched 5 Questions With The Champ on WWE.com.....

NOW I GET IT!

That man is the most annoying, patronising smarmy bastard I've ever had the misfortune to watch perform a perfectly excruciating monologue, during which he shamelessly plugged Kane's new movie, ECW and himself with all the charm of a discarded chewing gum stuck to a hunchback's boot.

If I didn't dislike the guy before, I certainly do now.

So the answer is, you cannot put John Cena in front of a camera on his own and broadcast it to the world if you want to get him over as a face. In fact I might go as far as to say that, considering the fact he's the same John Cena that the crowds popped for two years ago, "5 Questions With The Champ" may well have done a lot of damage to his career. The wave of dislike almost certainly stemmed from the ever-growing internet crowd, and its grown rapidly since the webcast started. Coincidence? Or proof that the web show exposes Cena as the trying-too-hard, obnoxious wannabe he actually is?

And the crazy thing is, his heel work in OVW was supposed to be incredible. And no rap gimmick either. So just let the man go back to something he can actually (allegedly) do well: piss people off... intentionally!

Anyone else believe "5 Questions" has played a role in the fans turning against him? Or am I just chatting bullshit?

Coz that was the first time I've seen it, and it made me dislike the guy immensly! (As a performer, as well as a character)

I agree with you so damn much, you're my new hero...

DaVe
05-14-2006, 01:55 AM
In my opinion, nah. I'm pretty sure I've seen quite a few TPWWers recently say they've enjoyed 5 Questions once or twice. I watched the recent one myself and though it isn't gonna make me watch it each week on WWE.com like I do with JBL's radio show, it isn't as if I really hated it.

I think it is more just people jumping on the bandwagon, as they have for the last half a year or so.

Corkscrewed
05-14-2006, 02:38 AM
He should play that psycho character he did in that cameo on that one YouTube thingy someone posted where they were having a "casting call" and random people had to sample a role opposite Cena's cursing psycho wrestler character.

Yeah, not being clear but I'm too lazy to go find it again. I'm sure someone will know what I'm talking about.

Mr. Nerfect
05-14-2006, 03:24 AM
I think the heat came on with John Cena's crappy "real recognising real" shtick. People know John Cena isn't real, and it pissed them off. Being in a feud with Chris Jericho at the time, a guy who could kick John Cena's ass if given the window.

He then went on to feud with Kurt Angle. Everyone knows Angle > Cena, so the heat intensified. The only way John Cena is going to be able to get pops with his current character again, is to feud with someone that is less established in the wrestling world than Cena. John Cena vs. Chris Masters may be the best feud the WWE can put on to get the fans behind Cena once more. If John Cena broke The Masterlock and F-U'd Masters, the place would probably be 60-40 for Cena. A few matches later, 80-20. Then it may be time to bring in Randy Orton for a feud with Cena.

I'm not saying that the WWE should do it, but if it was my job to get Cena back over as a face without changing his character, that is probably how I'd do it. Umaga could have a few title shots in there as well. John Cena vs. established veterans, isn't going to work. I don't think it is an ability thing, because Kenny is fantastic, but he didn't get much support against Cena.

John Cena vs. Chris Masters
John Cena vs. Randy Orton (maybe)
John Cena vs. Kenny
John Cena vs. Johnny
John Cena vs. Mikey
John Cena vs. Nicky
John Cena vs. Mitch
John Cena vs. Orlando Jordan (he did defeat John Cena for the US Title)
John Cena vs. Umaga

These are the matches that could help Cena. John Cena vs. Chris Jericho, John Cena vs. Kurt Angle, John Cena vs. Edge and John Cena vs. Triple H, whilst being better matches, are forcing the fans further against Cena.

What does this tell you? John Cena doesn't belong in the main event. All of the matches listed above should be for the WWE Intercontinental Championship. John Cena skipped the mid-card stage a little too quickly. I wouldn't mind seeing John Cena and Rob Van Dam swap places somehow. Maybe a Two Fall Match after Cena loses the WWE Championship to the IC Champion?

Kane Knight
05-14-2006, 09:50 AM
I can't bloody believe it took you 5 Questions to notice those problems, which are prevalent in his own facework on TV.

TerranRich
05-14-2006, 12:04 PM
I think you hit the nail on the fat head when you mentioned that Cena tries too hard. I think you're absolutely right on that point, as well as the fact that he's patronizing and is phony as hell.

Kane Knight
05-14-2006, 12:09 PM
I think he's being a real rapper. No real rapper is legit or genuine. As such, he is as true to the culture as the other faggots out there.

Afterlife
05-14-2006, 12:55 PM
I was unaware that 'rap culture' was conceived entirely of homosexuals. But to defend your slur, I am increasingly leaning toward the idea that Cena is gay.

Kane Knight
05-14-2006, 01:32 PM
I was unaware that 'rap culture' was conceived entirely of homosexuals. But to defend your slur, I am increasingly leaning toward the idea that Cena is gay.

Yeah, being a faggot myself, it's definitely a slur.

(Mostly, the "ghetto fabulous" lifestyle is just an extension of the whole libarracci thing)

Afterlife
05-14-2006, 01:47 PM
Well...yes...a slur is a slur, wether it has malicious intent or not.

I'm just saying, I'm pretty sure Cena's gay. He was all about getting Jeter's shirt off in that "hazing" video. :shifty:

Kane Knight
05-14-2006, 01:54 PM
It's hard to "slur" someone without intent.

Alls I'm saying is, hos dancing on screen, large ammounts of bling, pimped out rides, seems very Elton John and Libaracci to me.

TerranRich
05-14-2006, 02:45 PM
You know, come to think of it,..you're right, KK. Rapper are, in fact, quite faggy. :D

I mean, think about it: they hold dancing abilities in high regard, they love jewelry, they're high into fashion, and pretty cars. Goddamn...

Ministry9006
05-14-2006, 04:13 PM
BULLSHIT

Afterlife
05-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Well, "slur" is kinda like "noun". It just is what it is. The negative or positive outcome of it's useage all depends on connotation and the recipient's understanding. I think you're thinking of "slander". But technically, this would be "libel", anyway.

Regardless, I do agree, preaching the theory that as long as you wear jewelry and work out it's o.k. to mug people is fairly homosexual. Aggressively homosexual, but I guess that's the point.

SammyG
05-14-2006, 06:25 PM
I watch 5 Questions with the Champ every week, and I like every single one. He is entertaining on that show.

Kane Knight
05-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Well, "slur" is kinda like "noun". It just is what it is. The negative or positive outcome of it's useage all depends on connotation and the recipient's understanding. I think you're thinking of "slander". But technically, this would be "libel", anyway.

Regardless, I do agree, preaching the theory that as long as you wear jewelry and work out it's o.k. to mug people is fairly homosexual. Aggressively homosexual, but I guess that's the point.

No, slur is a disparaging remark. It's got to have a negative connotation for it to be a slur.

Like your statement. Hello hypocrisy. :)

Kane Knight
05-14-2006, 06:32 PM
You know, come to think of it,..you're right, KK. Rapper are, in fact, quite faggy. :D

I mean, think about it: they hold dancing abilities in high regard, they love jewelry, they're high into fashion, and pretty cars. Goddamn...

Yeah, this has been my belief for a long time.

I mean, the traits which our society declares to be homosexal in nature (Fashion, dancing, etc.) are almost identical to what the traits belong to rappers.

The same is true of boy bands and other pop music, but they don't live with the irony of homophobia (Guy dressed like he's Elton John's new boy toy screaming "I'm gonna kill all y'all flaming faggots")...

NeanderCarl
05-14-2006, 08:16 PM
I can't bloody believe it took you 5 Questions to notice those problems, which are prevalent in his own facework on TV.

While you are right, it's not nearly as prevelant. With other performers to help carry him a lot of the time, he doesn't come across quite as bad as he did on 5 Questions. Left on his own, however, he is thoroughly exposed.

Kane Knight
05-14-2006, 08:23 PM
True.

Afterlife
05-14-2006, 11:15 PM
No, slur is a disparaging remark. It's got to have a negative connotation for it to be a slur.

Like your statement. Hello hypocrisy. :)

Which statement of mine was a disparaging remark? :wtf:

KillerWolf
05-15-2006, 08:55 AM
huh. i always thought that the "ghetto fabulous" portrayal of rappers was a tool used by The Man to perpetuate the black man's status as a second-class sub-culture in America.

TerranRich
05-15-2006, 10:05 AM
No. They're fags. Now shut up. :p

Kane Knight
05-15-2006, 10:07 AM
huh. i always thought that the "ghetto fabulous" portrayal of rappers was a tool used by The Man to perpetuate the black man's status as a second-class sub-culture in America.

Exactly. By equating them with homosexuals.