PDA

View Full Version : Very lame WWE... *Smackdown Spoilers*

ThruTheWire
05-19-2006, 10:23 AM
I've never felt more insulted as a fan as much as I did last night watching Smackdown (on May 18, shot on May 16). What kind of idiots do they think the fans are when they have Rey Mysterio say "Today is May 19th" then have Kane come out and destroy Rey... god damnit I hate this shit. It wasn't even close to May 19th, why was Kane at Smackdown on May 16th... ? You would think of all people KANE would know when May 19th actually was... It makes absolutely no sense.
Why does all writing involving Kane have so many loose ends in the plot?

Rob
05-19-2006, 10:26 AM
It's a TV taping. And if you have never felt more insulted as a fan then you must have either just started watching wrestling this week and you are extremely out of touch with reality.

ThruTheWire
05-19-2006, 10:27 AM
It's a TV taping. And if you have never felt more insulted as a fan then you must have either just started watching wrestling this week and you are extremely out of touch with reality.

I don't know, I found it overly stupid... moreso than usual...

Londoner
05-19-2006, 10:38 AM
It's just as stupid as the commentators saying 'this is friday night smackdown'.When its actually tuesday.I think that's going to turn me off from watching smackdown, its stupid how the writers miss this, wtf was the crowd thinking when this happened?

Kane Knight
05-19-2006, 10:39 AM
Smackdown airs in the US on Friday, and the rest of y'all don't matter. If pretending things happen on the day the show is supposed to air insults your intelligence, you don't have enough intelligence to insult.

Do you also get your panties in a wad when they call it "FRIDAY night Smackdown?"

Kane Knight
05-19-2006, 10:42 AM
It's just as stupid as the commentators saying 'this is friday night smackdown'.When its actually tuesday.I think that's going to turn me off from watching smackdown, its stupid how the writers miss this, wtf was the crowd thinking when this happened?

I know. Suddenly, I found myself questioning whether wrestling was real, whether the Bible was right, and if storks really delivered babies.

Dorkchop
05-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Arg! I fell asleep and missed it then.

I hate how they filmed episodes of Friends months before they aired. It was so hard to watch their Christmas episodes knowing they were filmed in September.

Londoner
05-19-2006, 10:48 AM
I know. Suddenly, I found myself questioning whether wrestling was real, whether the Bible was right, and if storks really delivered babies.

I was just thinking about things from the crowds point of view though.However since its being taped on friday, that clears it all up.

Xero
05-19-2006, 10:50 AM
You know, when I watched Back to the Future Part II, I got so fucking pissed off knowing that, while they CLAIMED they went to 2015, it was really filmed in like 1984. Fucking ruined the entire thing for me.

And don't get me started about the first one where it was filmed in the early 80's but was based in 1955.

Kane Knight
05-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Arg! I fell asleep and missed it then.

I hate how they filmed episodes of Friends months before they aired. It was so hard to watch their Christmas episodes knowing they were filmed in September.

Yeah, that's so contrived. And all those cartoons which are recorded 6 months in advance and pretend to be contemporary. It's an insult to my intelligence.

Impact!
05-19-2006, 11:14 AM
:lol:

toxic rooster
05-19-2006, 12:05 PM

Are you being serious?

That is the dumbest thing I have ever read. Have you been dropped on your head?

tucsonspeed6
05-19-2006, 02:53 PM
10,000th post!!! :D :D :D

I'd like to thank everybody here on TPWW for helping me get though this difficult first 35 years. Here's to another 35 and another 10,000 posts!

Oh......maybe this is the wrong thread to be in right now.:shifty:

FourFifty
05-19-2006, 03:17 PM
As a wrestling fan I'm insulted with how they're dealing with this Kane thing. Yesterday he had a radio interview on the Derek & Romaine Show (Sirius 106). It was alright, but someone asked "Has Kane ever had a girlfriend." At which point he didn't mention Katie Vick, but talked about Lita. Well a fan who was in the studio wanted an autograph, but the hosts of the show made him do two things. First he had to sing Kane's theme music, and then he had to ask about May 19th.
Last I checked his name was Glen Jacobs, not Nick Dinsmore.
Glen kept the Kane persona and got all pissed off, told the fan he's lucky he's not going to kill him, then left. A few minutes later the hosts of the show said Kane left the building.
Nope, he just went to another studio to do another interview.

And just reading about SmackDown... Dude, I just to be a mark for Kane, and now I just don't care.

Xero
05-19-2006, 09:14 PM

I'd like to thank everybody here on TPWW for helping me get though this difficult first 35 years. Here's to another 35 and another 10,000 posts!

Oh......maybe this is the wrong thread to be in right now.:shifty:
You forgot how to count, didn't you?

Edit: Oh, shit. Missed the joke.

UmbrellaCorporation
05-19-2006, 09:21 PM
This isn't exactly pertinent, but since Smackdown is on now, I'm gonna turn my closed captioning on and see if I can tell what Khali is saying.

All it says is [Speaking Foreign Language] GREAT KHALI!. :lol:

Xero
05-19-2006, 09:23 PM
Easier than typing it out phonetically...

AUAOUGHLEEDAGFDAHAG GRATE KHALI!!!!!

Kane Knight
05-19-2006, 09:25 PM
You forgot how to count, didn't you?

Edit: Oh, shit. Missed the joke.

:rofl:

Kane Knight
05-19-2006, 09:26 PM
This isn't exactly pertinent, but since Smackdown is on now, I'm gonna turn my closed captioning on and see if I can tell what Khali is saying.

All it says is [Speaking Foreign Language] GREAT KHALI!. :lol:

Those morons can barely do English right.

UmbrellaCorporation
05-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Another note.

Is it me, or does Mark Henry look like the Predator?

I mean, aside from the alien face, it's almost a deadlock.

http://www.gerweck.net/markhenry.jpg

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/mdi/images/bckgrd/bckgrd_big/PREDATOR.JPG

Pegasus Crawford
05-19-2006, 09:33 PM
You know, when I watched Back to the Future Part II, I got so fucking pissed off knowing that, while they CLAIMED they went to 2015, it was really filmed in like 1984. Fucking ruined the entire thing for me.

And don't get me started about the first one where it was filmed in the early 80's but was based in 1955.

DAMN YOU HOLLYWOOD. :'(

UmbrellaCorporation
05-19-2006, 09:54 PM
ROFL, I love this.

During the Kane/Mysterio match, a bunch of kids were screaming "MAY 19TH" at Kane at ringside, and he just ignored them. :lol:

M-A-G
05-19-2006, 10:17 PM
You speak as if this is the first time wrestling's insulted ANYONE'S intelligence.

Kane Knight
05-19-2006, 10:34 PM
You speak as if this is the first time wrestling's insulted ANYONE'S intelligence.

It's the first time it's been low enough he could figure it out.

Dorkchop
05-19-2006, 10:42 PM

Or as Kane Knight would call it "Tuesday".

M-A-G
05-19-2006, 10:47 PM

I'd KILL for 10,000 posts. After four years you'd think I'd have at least touched 20,000.

BobBitchen
05-19-2006, 10:50 PM

THEY ARE ALL REAL TO ME,DAMMIT.

Kane Knight
05-19-2006, 10:52 PM

Usually I get 10K by Wednesday.

Kane Knight
05-19-2006, 10:52 PM
THEY ARE ALL REAL TO ME,DAMMIT.

I just have this image of someone standing up in Church, saying that...

Impact!
05-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Are you being serious?

Holy shit, Wee Gooner is in the wrestling forum.

Xero
05-20-2006, 12:37 AM
LOL, just saw the video of Kane's attack on WWE.com (don't get it until tomorrow) and Michael Cole was Kane-ing out like that other guy...

IT'S KANE! IT'S KANE! IT'S KANE!

Team Sheep
05-20-2006, 06:45 AM
So, would you rather them say that today is May 16th when the show is aired on Friday May 19th? C'mon son get a grip, it's pretty obvious why they do it.

Rammsteinmad
05-20-2006, 07:04 AM
I'd KILL for 10,000 posts. After four years you'd think I'd have at least touched 20,000.

I have also been here for four years... and only have 5000 posts. :shifty:

Rammsteinmad
05-20-2006, 07:05 AM
But seriously, about this thread. I understand the whole Tuesday/Friday thing but it must have been pretty weird to be there live, and have Rey Mysterio saying it's May 19th. Especially if you're a casual fan or summit and don't understand the whole taping thing.

Londoner
05-20-2006, 07:16 AM
Are you being serious?

Your post is the dumbest thing i've ever read to, so were even now, yes?

I was being serious about from the crowds point of view, i mean, its tuesday to them, and when Rey said may 19th, if i was in the crowd i would be going 'er, no, you got the date wrong'

Also i misread what you said about it airing on friday,i assumed you meant taped on friday.

Londoner
05-20-2006, 07:17 AM
But seriously, about this thread. I understand the whole Tuesday/Friday thing but it must have been pretty weird to be there live, and have Rey Mysterio saying it's May 19th. Especially if you're a casual fan or summit and don't understand the whole taping thing.

Exactly what i'm saying, to bad KK isn't intelligent enough to understand that.

Rammsteinmad
05-20-2006, 07:27 AM
Actually, I just re-read your post, and I'd have to (politely) disagree about the commentators. Because the live crowd wouldn't be able to hear them anyway... and the home viewers would be seeing it on Friday anyway.

But when the wrestlers are actually doing it:

JBL: What day is it?

Rey: May 19th

Casual fan who doesn't understand Smackdown is taped: Hey?! It's May 16th ain't it?

Rammsteinmad
05-20-2006, 07:55 AM
SMACKDOWN SPOILERS BELOW!!! HIGHLIGHT TO READ!!!

Also, I'd like to add (because I can't seem to find a thread discussing Smackdown), that the whole May 19th thing was shit! "Kane returned" people on here said... where did he go? What the hell?

And like... all he did was come out and beat on Mysterio? I was kinda hoping for something special would happen... I dunno. I expected the ring to fill up with smoke or summit and when the smoke clears his mask is in the middle of the ring. But NOOOOO. We get a normal squash match and that's it. So much for May 19th theories. And anything else that happens now won't be the same, because it should have happened on May 19th.

Volare
05-20-2006, 08:19 AM
I figure Kane is probably going after taker. This will bring the "rumors" true, so that Kane can go to smackdown, and get the belt. This will make me happy!

Kane Knight
05-20-2006, 08:31 AM
Your post is the dumbest thing i've ever read to, so were even now, yes?

I was being serious about from the crowds point of view, i mean, its tuesday to them, and when Rey said may 19th, if i was in the crowd i would be going 'er, no, you got the date wrong'

Also i misread what you said about it airing on friday,i assumed you meant taped on friday.

That's the thing. People know it airs on Friday. IT's now called "Friday Night Smackdown." People put 2+2 together.

Kane Knight
05-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Actually, I just re-read your post, and I'd have to (politely) disagree about the commentators. Because the live crowd wouldn't be able to hear them anyway... and the home viewers would be seeing it on Friday anyway.

Casual fan who doesn't understand Smackdown is taped: Hey?! It's May 16th ain't it?

Casual fans won't be able to figure out that the show that airs on Friday, that they're watching on Tuesday, that's called Fridy Night Smackdown, are going to say "No, that's wrong! It's Tuesday! Tuesday the 16th! You're a big fat Phony!"

ThruTheWire
05-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Usually I get 10K by Wednesday.

I wouldn't doubt that, try going outside.

But anyways, everyone seems to be taking what I said way out of context, all I meant was Kane used to be great, he came around with a great storyline being the Undertakers burned brother. That had a good run, then they started slowly piece by piece taking parts of his ring attire off, revealing that he didn't even have fake burns to go along with the storyline, and a perfectly unburned face (wait it was burned for the one day when they took the mask off which had hair implants..) then he get's into the whole stupid Lita storyline, and get's taken out with no explanation and replaced with Edge. And now he's coming out to attack someone on a show he is not even part of, 3 days before May 19th when people are pretending it's May 19th. I was just stating how I'm not too impressed with Kane's direction as in the past few years he has not had one stable storyline with any payoff or logical ending.

Rammsteinmad
05-20-2006, 09:27 AM
Casual fans won't be able to figure out that the show that airs on Friday, that they're watching on Tuesday, that's called Fridy Night Smackdown, are going to say "No, that's wrong! It's Tuesday! Tuesday the 16th! You're a big fat Phony!"

To be honest, I didn't realise wrestling still had casual fans.

V
05-20-2006, 10:18 AM
If you read the smackdown spoilers it says that JBL actually said live:

"Do you know what day friday is"

so I'm guessing they dubbed over friday and made it say today for TV? If so, that would be a smart move (considering it's WWE)

JBL then reminds Rey he's in Albuquerque, North Mexico (which got a good laugh) and then suggests Rey doesn't even know what day Friday is. Rey takes the bait and yells out "May 19th!" JBL starts jumping and yells out "I didn't say it!" and the stage explodes for Kane to make a hustle to beat down Rey.

Volare
05-20-2006, 11:00 AM
That's the thing. People know it airs on Friday. IT's now called "Friday Night Smackdown." People put 2+2 together.

I know I know!!

22!!:rofl:

Londoner
05-20-2006, 11:00 AM

I think you misunderstood my post.I know the live crowd wouldn't hear them,was just saying is just as stupid calling it friday night sackdown even though its tuesday.

But yes my main point was what must the crowd be thinking when Rey said 'may 19th'.Would've made more sense to do a one-off live show yesterday.

Londoner
05-20-2006, 11:02 AM

so I'm guessing they dubbed over friday and made it say today for TV? If so, that would be a smart move (considering it's WWE)

Ah right, see I remember him saying 'Do you know what date it is?'Or something similar.Not friday though.

Kane Knight
05-20-2006, 11:19 AM
I wouldn't doubt that, try going outside.

Oh SNAP! I've been burned by a 12 year old.

Kane Knight
05-20-2006, 11:21 AM
To be honest, I didn't realise wrestling still had casual fans.

So why bring them up?

Anyway, anyone going to Friday Night Smackdown is probably aware that it airs on Friday night. Casual fans probably aren't spending money on tickets, but are randomly tuning in, and won't be confused at all.

Kane Knight
05-20-2006, 11:31 AM

On TV, he said "Do you even know what day it is?"

Or something to that effect.

Several times during his speech, they cut away from him, and I can't remember if they cut away during the "What day it is?" bit.

I think you misunderstood my post.I know the live crowd wouldn't hear them,was just saying is just as stupid calling it friday night sackdown even though its tuesday.

But yes my main point was what must the crowd be thinking when Rey said 'may 19th'.Would've made more sense to do a one-off live show yesterday.

I think your point was well-understood by all. We just think it's stupid.

I know that people seem to have difficulty grapsing this, but there's a difference between not getting a point and not agreeing with it.

Since the announce commentary is for the people at home, and the primary audience is the one that will see it on the airing night (As opposed to other markets, at which WWE is not aimed, or the live audience who won't heard them), it's kind of pointless to argue, as it makes sense.

And since JBL saying something different live makes your point moot...

DominateR
05-20-2006, 03:17 PM
SMACKDOWN SPOILERS BELOW!!! HIGHLIGHT TO READ!!!

Also, I'd like to add (because I can't seem to find a thread discussing Smackdown), that the whole May 19th thing was shit! "Kane returned" people on here said... where did he go? What the hell?

And like... all he did was come out and beat on Mysterio? I was kinda hoping for something special would happen... I dunno. I expected the ring to fill up with smoke or summit and when the smoke clears his mask is in the middle of the ring. But NOOOOO. We get a normal squash match and that's it. So much for May 19th theories. And anything else that happens now won't be the same, because it should have happened on May 19th.

The whole thing with this May 19th nonsense had nothing to do with the release date of "See No Evil". Rather, the "voices" in Kane's head were supposedly telling him that "it's happening again!..." because they were reminding him of May 19th, 1998, when Kane first arrived on the scene of WWE as UT's ½-brother, to confront him as to why he left Kane in a burning house to burn all alone. So there ya have it, no theories here just FACTS.

Xero
05-20-2006, 03:23 PM
The whole thing with this May 19th nonsense had nothing to do with the release date of "See No Evil". Rather, the "voices" in Kane's head were supposedly telling him that "it's happening again!..." because they were reminding him of May 19th, 1998, when Kane first arrived on the scene of WWE as UT's ½-brother, to confront him as to why he left Kane in a burning house to burn all alone. So there ya have it, no theories here just FACTS.
I hope you weren't serious there. Kane debuted in October 97 at Badd Blood...

The King of Marks
05-20-2006, 03:44 PM
How retarded do you have to be to not get that Friday Night Smackdown is taped on Tuesday? Using the excuse that "casual" fans doesn't make it better. If by casual, you mean 5 year olds, then maybe they won't get the idea. MAYBE. Everyone else can quickly get that watching a show called FRIDAY Night Smackdown that is being taped on Tuesday will reference events as being on Friday.

It would make no sense to refer to it Tuesday Night Smackdown because it would legitamitely confuse the crap out people who would try to watch it on television. And you don't refer to the show as taped-delayed because it makes your show sound dated and old. That's why television shows refer to episodes as "new" or "premiere" and not "taped last year" or "lame clip show edited last month". It's basic television promotion 101.

Xero
05-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Let's just put it this way: It's better to confuse 20,000 or less fans vs. millions of fans.

Although I have to admit that there wasn't much of a response when Rey said "May 19" (from the WWE.com video anyway).

Rammsteinmad
05-20-2006, 07:16 PM
So why bring them up?

Meh... you got me there. :o

loopydate
05-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Is it me, or does Mark Henry look like the Predator?

Nope. I think it's just you. Can't think of anyone else having ever said that before.

MARK HENRY REMINDS ME OF THE PREDATOR

http://www.tsn.ca/images/stories/20031214/sab1_65109.jpg

Today's Wrestler is a man, Vince McMahon has a hard-on for, because he is a hoss and at times...looks like the Predator, this man, is a former Tag Team Partner of D'Lo Brown and is a former WWF/E European Champion...He is The World's Strongest Man, or aka Sexual Chocolate, Mark Henry!

Mark Henry: Looks like a Predator, only without the nasty teeth.

http://www.wwe.com/superstars/smackdown/markhenry/photos/12.jpg . http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/632/predator0uz.jpg

You think Masters is pretty? His face is that of a shaved ape. Lesnar? Retarded child. Mark Henry? Predator.

I find it funny that Mark Henry gets pushed and pushed when all he does is waste space and injure great wrestlers. No mic skills, looks like the Predator, hesitates all his moves before carrying them out, no in ring skills and just fucking slow.

Y'know, dreads, braids, looks like the Predator...

Insert "Mark Henry = Predator" joke here that doesn't work without the context of the picture.

Londoner
05-20-2006, 07:41 PM
How retarded do you have to be to not get that Friday Night Smackdown is taped on Tuesday? Using the excuse that "casual" fans doesn't make it better. If by casual, you mean 5 year olds, then maybe they won't get the idea. MAYBE. Everyone else can quickly get that watching a show called FRIDAY Night Smackdown that is being taped on Tuesday will reference events as being on Friday.

It would make no sense to refer to it Tuesday Night Smackdown because it would legitamitely confuse the crap out people who would try to watch it on television. And you don't refer to the show as taped-delayed because it makes your show sound dated and old. That's why television shows refer to episodes as "new" or "premiere" and not "taped last year" or "lame clip show edited last month". It's basic television promotion 101.

Actually, one of my friends who is a 'casual fan'(or atleast used to be) didnt know it was taped on tuesday until i told him.So obviously not everyone knows that.

I think they should just start taping smackdown live on friday nights though.But like that'll ever happen.....

Rammsteinmad
05-20-2006, 07:41 PM
I think what Loopydate is trying to say is that the Predator looks like Mark Henry?

loopydate
05-20-2006, 07:43 PM
I think what Loopydate is trying to say is that the Predator looks like Mark Henry?

What? No! Personally, I see no resemblance.

:shifty:

Xero
05-20-2006, 07:45 PM
I personally think the resemblance is mostly in the nose.

loopydate
05-20-2006, 07:45 PM
I personally think the resemblance is mostly in the nose.

For me, it was always the giant mandibles and night-vision capability.

Xero
05-20-2006, 07:51 PM
But the night vision is so redundant. Almost all wrestlers have it, so it cancels it out.

Kane Knight
05-20-2006, 09:43 PM

Without getting into the "facts" you mention, you'd have to be retarded to think May 19th had nothing to do with Kane's movie.

Kane Knight
05-20-2006, 09:47 PM
Actually, one of my friends who is a 'casual fan'(or atleast used to be) didnt know it was taped on tuesday until i told him.So obviously not everyone knows that.

I think they should just start taping smackdown live on friday nights though.But like that'll ever happen.....

Wow. One person was clueless that it was pre-taped. THAT TEARS IT!

Friday Night Smackdown is MAKE IT or BREAK IT for dated television!

parkmania
05-21-2006, 03:04 PM
The fact of the matter is that Abso-friggin-lutely NOTHING is completely "LIVE" anymore in the US. The FCC is still so militant about Boobgate from 2+ years ago that noone does anything without at least a 7-second delay anymore. For years, many shows that claim to be live are actually what is called "Live On Tape" meaning that there was no editing involved (outside of the bleeping of swear words) - everything happened in the exact timing as we are shown it.

Smackdown has never been a live show, as they usually go back during the week and have Michael Cole and Tazz redub some of their commentary. They've even gone so far as to have the crowd stick around and have guys re-wrestle a segment of a match because it didn't come off the way WWE wanted it. (At least that's what several people have commented on this website.)

Azriel
05-21-2006, 03:20 PM
I think the whole may 19th is going to stretch out into tonight and maybe even next week. The payoff is still a whiles off I think

Kane Knight
05-21-2006, 03:36 PM
The fact of the matter is that Abso-friggin-lutely NOTHING is completely "LIVE" anymore in the US. The FCC is still so militant about Boobgate from 2+ years ago that noone does anything without at least a 7-second delay anymore. For years, many shows that claim to be live are actually what is called "Live On Tape" meaning that there was no editing involved (outside of the bleeping of swear words) - everything happened in the exact timing as we are shown it.

Smackdown has never been a live show, as they usually go back during the week and have Michael Cole and Tazz redub some of their commentary. They've even gone so far as to have the crowd stick around and have guys re-wrestle a segment of a match because it didn't come off the way WWE wanted it. (At least that's what several people have commented on this website.)

Ironically, most shows were tape-delayed before the Superbowl. I think Raw was on a 5 second delay for quite some time, and they actually bumped it up. I keep a lot of facts in my head, so I may be off.

The idea of live entertainment is a joke, and even if it weren't, it should be relatively evident that Smackdown isn't live. So yeah. :y:

Kane Knight
05-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Also, FCC or no, on UPN they have to worry about things like running over. Broadcast is different than Cable, and particularly a different market. I mean, look at the top ten Nielsen-rated shows for Cable and then again for Broadcast. Raw almost always makes the top 5 in Cable. Broadcast, getting a 3-4 rating won't get you a top ten slot at all. Things like Idol, Survior, House, CSI, etc dominate the ratings at 3-4 TIMES that rating.

TerranRich
05-22-2006, 10:34 AM

It was actually filmed in 1988 or 89. And yeah, it let me down big time. I'm no longer a BTTF fan. :'(

UmbrellaCorporation
05-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Nope. I think it's just you. Can't think of anyone else having ever said that before.

So I'm slightly late. :shifty:

Stickman
05-22-2006, 12:59 PM
I find it really stupid that Kane and Mysterio are basically the only wrestlers that don't break kayfabe in public. This isn't 1985, wrestlers don't need to be seen in public with their tights on and no shirt, or with their mask on.

Kane Knight
05-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Don't forget Jillian (PreBoogey) and Eugene. ;)