PDA

View Full Version : Retiring Wrestling Moves

korinkahn
06-08-2006, 07:21 AM
I just watched the Rock v. Austin WM 19, The Rock performs the Sharpshooter, as he has on other occassions, and his execution of the move was poor at best. After watching Bret Hart's flawless execution of it for years seeing the Rock disgrace it kills me. I think the WWE needs to retire this move.

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/8915/vlcsnap77158791hy.th.png (http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vlcsnap77158791hy.png)

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/3050/vlcsnap77165596lg.th.png (http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vlcsnap77165596lg.png)

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5903/vlcsnap76653268sb.th.png (http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vlcsnap76653268sb.png)

Mr. JL
06-08-2006, 07:39 AM
NOBODY can perform the sharpshooter better than Bret. Even Chris Benoit (who imo, is the best active wrestler who performs the move) is leagues beneath Bret Hart.

BTW, Every time I see Sting use the scorpion death lock, a part of me dies inside.

-----------
Retiring moves is kinda stupid though.

kingofkings
06-08-2006, 07:52 AM
sting is a franchise in wrestling history, if anything he did the scorpion death lock better than bret hart ever did the sharpshooter. the only thing bad about sting is that he went to TNA.

Ben Rodrigues
06-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Mark.

Impact!
06-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Rofl!

Ben Rodrigues
06-08-2006, 08:46 AM
And yeah - no one seems to be able to pull it off as well as Bret. Perhaps it's because Bret actually sat back on it - while now everyone else seems to stand so their opponent is able to crawl to the ropes.

Xero
06-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Michael's sharpshooter there was close to Bret's in that he sat in Bret's butt. Bret does it better, but that's the best version of the move.

Ben Rodrigues
06-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Yeah Michaels' version at SS 97 wasn't bad... though he fucked up the legging. I also thought Austin did it well a few times. Other then that - everyone else has been making a joke of it.

Shadow
06-08-2006, 09:47 AM
hey guys...I just realized this but...Bret's tapping. Look at the third pic. He's preparing to tap...EARL SAVED BRET'S ENTIRE LIFE BY CALLING FOR THE BELL BEFORE HE TAPPED!

Xero
06-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Random Bret Hart Mark: FUK U SHDOW! U SUK! U NO HE DDNT TAP! U R HARTLES! FUK U AZHOL!

Shadow
06-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Shadow to Random Bret Hart Cocksucker: He's tapping with his eyelashes

Ben Rodrigues
06-08-2006, 10:45 AM
Ric Flair never drew a dime. :shifty:

Xero
06-08-2006, 10:48 AM
The Rock was hugely over-rated as a wrestler, not an entertainer.

Please note the lack of "shifty" smiley.

Corkscrewed
06-08-2006, 03:59 PM
http://www.wrestlingarsenal.net/public/393BretHart/boston.htm

ahhhhhhhhh...

Disturbed316
06-08-2006, 05:11 PM
http://www.wrestlingarsenal.net/public/393BretHart/bret_vs_gol_sm.jpg

Even Goldberg, in his shiny gold suit, is no match for the dreaded Sharpshooter. Bret tries to rip that suit apart by twisting Goldberg into this unnatural position.

ROFL "Goldberg" Anyway, I think that the only other person other than Bret to really do a decent sharpshooter was Owen.

Disturbed316
06-08-2006, 05:13 PM
http://www.wrestlingarsenal.net/public/393BretHart/owen.jpg

Sick

Bad Company
06-08-2006, 05:48 PM
it's all about feet spacing and getting a good angle on your knees I rekon.

korinkahn
06-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Owen has it down, the Rock just has Austin's legs crossed at the ankles- I do not even know what you call what Rock is doing.

Xero
06-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Owen has it down, the Rock just has Austin's legs crossed at the ankles- I do not even know what you call what Rock is doing.
I always liked "The Crapshooter" personally.

Bad Company
06-08-2006, 09:23 PM
the rocks problem is he has both of their feet under his arm.

GoodByeJBL
06-08-2006, 09:32 PM
who uses the sharp shooter

NeanderCarl
06-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Sting actually used the sharpshooter years before Bret Hart did.

In fact, so did Ronnie Garvin, Riki Chosu, Chris Adams and any number of other performers.

As for who is superior? Bret, Sting and Owen all performed the move very nicely, as does Benoit today.

Vermaat
06-09-2006, 11:50 AM
WWE needs to have wrestler pass down finishers. I think Austin needs to pass down the Stunner to Cena.

Have Cena start using the Stunner to finish matches and have Austin come down to the ring and tell him to stop stealing moves because he sucks and Cena just says "You want some, come get some" and stunners Austin and after they have a series of matches, Austin can say "You know kid, I never thought anyone can perform the stunner like I can, but you just proved you're one hell of a badass, so I want you to go stun some of these jobbers".

It will keep The Stunner in the business because it is a classic move and give Cena an awesome technique.

The MAC
06-09-2006, 02:06 PM
yes, rocks sharpshooter is really sad..the sharpshooter was about putting pressure on the lower back..Rocks looks like he wants crazy anal sex from the guy on the floor. Bret Hart used to really lock it in.

lol, remember when michaels ( i think it was) in on of the 1000 montreal finishes they did..he took about 5 mins to do it and JR played dumb thru the whole thing..

Innovator
06-09-2006, 03:07 PM
It's bad enough Cena has bastardized the Spiccoli Driver, there is no way he should go near the Stunner. No one should touch the Stunner

Xerzes
06-09-2006, 09:31 PM
It's bad enough Cena has bastardized the Spiccoli Driver, there is no way he should go near the Stunner. No one should touch the Stunner

Not to mention the step-over toehold with facelock.

NeanderCarl
06-09-2006, 09:39 PM

Try telling that to Nick Dinsmore.

NeanderCarl
06-09-2006, 09:39 PM
And Disco Inferno, Mikey Whipwreck, Spike Dudley......

Mr. Nerfect
06-09-2006, 09:50 PM
I don't think moves should ever be retired. If anything, I think they should be used more once the innovator has moved on. The Stunner should be given to a wrestler who really needs something like it. I used to think the move would really suit Orlando Jordan. John Cena should never touch the Stunner.

I think the Sharpshooter is all about stance. Owen and Bret really make it look like they're putting 200% into each Sharpshooter, which is how it really takes off. Other people could really make the move work as well. Bringing up Gunner Scott, again, apparently he does a nice Sharpshooter. Let him use it in the WWE.

Another move that could be used in the WWE is the Rock Bottom. The uranage has become a standard move in the WWE, but a wrestler with no real signature move could win matches with it. Charlie Haas and Gunner Scott are in desperate need of finishing moves. The WWE won't let them use their submision moves (The Haas of Pain is fantastic), and instead Haas uses a Scoop Reverse DDT and Gunner Scott uses a belly-to-bell overhead suplex. To quote Vermaat, "UNACCEPTABLE". Give Gunner Scott either the Gunner Stunner, Lock Bottom or Unprettier. Give Charlie Haas one of the moves Gunner Scott doesn't take.

There are endless moves the WWE can recycle. With Kurt Angle now going to ECW, they may as well give a new wrestler the Angle Slam. Successful moves should never be retired.

NeanderCarl
06-09-2006, 11:19 PM
The beauty of a move like the Stunner is that it can be performed on ANYONE, no matter how big or small. The best wrestlers always have moves that are simple and easy to pull off (and the more sudden the move can be hit, the better!)

Moves such as the Stunner, the Legdrop of Doom, the RKO and the Pedigree work so well because they can be hit out of nowhere, and on any opponent. Therefore, if there is a great move that fits that criteria and isn't being used by anybody else in a company, it should definitely be pounced on by one of these aforementioned guys with no finishers.

In that case, why not have Eugene use the Stunner? There's no rule that says only a main event guy should pick it up. And let Benoit continue to use the Sharpshooter, as he doesn't do a bad job with it. The only time a move should be retired is by an individual wrestler when he just cannot pull the move off, such as Rock with the sharpshooter and Hogan with the figure four leglock.

Mr. Nerfect
06-10-2006, 01:45 AM
I'm personally hoping that Eugene leaves for ECW as Nick Dinsmore. I'm praying that Randy Orton faces Eugene on RAW, scoffs at the "challenge", then proceeds to face an un-retarded Nick Dinsmore in what could be a TV MOTY candidate. Dinsmore wins with some nifty maneuver. He used the Bridging German Suplex in OVW, so he could win with that, but I'm not sure if it would be bought.

BlackDawn2024
06-10-2006, 01:59 AM
Have Cena start using the Stunner to finish matches and have Austin come down to the ring and tell him to stop stealing moves because he sucks and Cena just says "You want some, come get some" and stunners Austin and after they have a series of matches, Austin can say "You know kid, I never thought anyone can perform the stunner like I can, but you just proved you're one hell of a badass, so I want you to go stun some of these jobbers".

:rofl:

Is the stunner "NEW AND INNOVATIVE"?

Shadow
06-10-2006, 02:04 AM
WWE needs to have wrestler pass down finishers. I think Austin needs to pass down the Stunner to Cena.

It will keep The Stunner in the business because it is a classic move and give Cena an awesome technique.

......Why do you keep coming back? It's gotta be battered wife syndrome.

Sig time!

Skippord
06-10-2006, 03:12 AM

Are you retarded and I'm not being a prick here its a serious question

Chico
06-10-2006, 10:32 AM

To quote you in your WWE v ECW thread:
That is quite simply POINTLESS.