PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii's graphics could possibly get a whole lot better

Dorkchop
06-21-2006, 01:32 PM
http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=revolution&message.id=1159528&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

There's this. They look fake, but aren't.

Basically Nintendo used Wii hardware in Game Cube casing.

And: http://www.nintendorevolution.ca/05202006/19/nintendo_confirms_wii_had_gamecube_housing_at_e3
I guess this is comfirming the truth to it.

Nothing is for sure that the Wii's graphics will get a whole lot better, but remember the games were still in developement and will get at least slightly better by the time they're completed. All of Wii's hardware could have been inside those Game Cube casings.

Not that I'm hung up on graphics, but better graphics are always a plus.

Dorkchop
06-21-2006, 01:35 PM
Does anyone know more about this? Reading through video game message boards is annoying sometimes. Everyone says the same thing over and over.

DS
06-21-2006, 01:56 PM
I highly doubt it. They will get better over development but I would be hard pressed to believe they will become "a whole lot better". First off, if it was that big of a difference, there would be no way that Nintendo would show a lesser product at the biggest expo for the company. No way. Not to mention that the articles are both on Nintendo based sites. Not saying that it's a huge deal but it could be a little biased. It's marginally possible but I wouldn't count on a large improvement.

Kane Knight
06-21-2006, 02:02 PM
I don't know. A lot of GCN games were significantly better than the demos. And those weren't on DEV kits.

Same with the DS. Things improved real fast there. So I don't know. Seems feasible.

Dorkchop
06-21-2006, 02:20 PM
I highly doubt it. They will get better over development but I would be hard pressed to believe they will become "a whole lot better". First off, if it was that big of a difference, there would be no way that Nintendo would show a lesser product at the biggest expo for the company. No way. Not to mention that the articles are both on Nintendo based sites. Not saying that it's a huge deal but it could be a little biased. It's marginally possible but I wouldn't count on a large improvement.

For sure they'll get better over developement.

I originally got links about it (basically saying the exact same things as the first link I gave). I should have posted a link to the first thread I saw on it. I guess I wasn't paying too much attention.

I don't think as a whole the Wii's graphics will be as good or evern better than the 360. Maybe in a few years the Wii's newer games will have better graphics than some of the current 360 games. Maybe a few Wii games will have amazing graphics. Resident Evil 4 looked pretty damn awesome on the Game Cube.

Silent
06-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Better then the 360? I doubt it. 360 is basically a computer, Nintendo would need to charge more per system if they want better graphics AND the funky controller (at least I'd imagine so)

Bad Company
06-21-2006, 05:22 PM
wii wont touch the 360 or ps3 for graphics/processing power, they are concentrating on quality over quantity (power), unfortunately, every time a company does that, I think of 3DFX vs Nvidia.

Kane Knight
06-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Better then the 360? I doubt it. 360 is basically a computer, Nintendo would need to charge more per system if they want better graphics AND the funky controller (at least I'd imagine so)

GCN was the rival of the XBox in terms of graphics capacity even with technically inferior stats. It's not all about the system's stats, but the programming behind it, etc.

Nintendo is using a "less is more" approach.

Funky Fly
06-21-2006, 10:05 PM
So Nintendo is the Kevin Nash of videogames?

Kane Knight
06-21-2006, 11:43 PM
I'd think with all the DREs, Sony was the Kevin Nash of video games.

Kalyx triaD
06-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Resident Evil 4 on GCN looks as good as some 'next-gen' games. Nuff said.

Kane Knight
06-25-2006, 09:55 AM
What I loved was that none of the current gen of gaming systems could do what the Dreamcast did. Most ports suffered serious problems.

Shaved Monkey
06-29-2006, 10:34 AM
What I loved was that none of the current gen of gaming systems could do what the Dreamcast did. Most ports suffered serious problems.

The Dreamcast remains my favourite system of all time. Its all about Power Stone 2.

James Steele
06-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Shenmue for life

Kane Knight
06-29-2006, 05:10 PM
The Dreamcast remains my favourite system of all time. Its all about Power Stone 2.

Never played it, but I was amazed at how crappy a job the PS2 dev team for Grandia 2 did.

And surprised that it was graphically punked by the "inferior" GCN and a previous gen console.

The Mask
07-01-2006, 09:28 AM

what did the dreamcast do? :?:

Kane Knight
07-02-2006, 01:12 PM
what did the dreamcast do? :?:

Make next-gen quality graphics that actually suffered on real next-gen systems?

Kalyx triaD
07-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Banjo Kazooie on N64 has visuals that stand against some games on Xbox. The problem here is that developers at a certain point between 1999 and now decided that shortcuts that gave the illusion of great visuals were better than... ya know... Coding raw visuals on these 'Super-System-Specs'.

Looking at (3D) game visual progression from Mario 64 to Rayman 64 (maybe the best looking game on N64) which was what, 3 years? Today's next-gen visuals will seem disappointing looking at where we should be by now. Evolution stopped and special effects came in. It could be argued that the best games on N64 used special effects to look as good as they did, but the truth is the worst looking XB/PS2/GCN game should still look better than the best of the last generation games. But it isn't the case.

It's one of the reasons I go meh when a developer starts running his mouth about how great games graphics are (usually American/Europeon). We shouldn't have to wait for a RE4, Splinter Cell, or Metal Gear to remind us how powerful our consoles are at generating graphics; it should just be.

Kane Knight
07-02-2006, 03:21 PM
But again, why give them great graphics when that means you have to work for it? Give them slightly better graphics. Everyone else does.

Kalyx triaD
07-02-2006, 04:57 PM
It wouldn't bother me if the focus was on... that little thing... GAMEPLAY, that's it. Then I wouldn't care about seeing a face made up of even more polys per second.

Can someone tell me why framerate is still an issue in the year 2006? Dreamcast pushed Soul Calibur at 60fps in 1999. Honestly that should be standard ware by now. If visuals can't run at 60fps then cut it down 'til it can. I swear everyone's just going for the sweetest magazine screen shot.

Kane Knight
07-03-2006, 12:27 PM
It's the same reason they can't fit things on a DVD-ROM. Why "Space constraints" is an issue. They bog everything down. Load times are so long because of code that should be superfluous, data nobody should need, etc. Visuals take a hit because of these issues among others.

And the ironic thing, yes, is that they PUSH the graphics as OMG SWEET! It's especially hilarious when you think that Dreamcast did better with "last year's model" than they're doing with the curent Gen.