PDA

View Full Version : No Bright Future...

Mr. Aristocrat
06-27-2006, 11:11 PM
Anyone remember when there was a time where the upper mid card was packed full of potential. WWE had Bret in the early 90s, Michaels and Ramon in the mid 90s, Rock and Austin in the mid late 90s, then came Jericho and Benoit...then...well there was Randy Orton and John Cena but they really dropped the ball and since then where has the interest been? Does anyone here think that somehow the upper mid card has in it anyone who is going to make a difference? Nitro, Lashley, Shelton...the closest thing I can think of is Carlito, but I doubt he will ever reach the levels of the before mentioned stars. I know everyone has a million and one solutions of how to fix the main events, but I suggest they fix the upper mid card. Any solutions of how to do that?

jindrak
06-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Solutions...

Do the opposite of what they're currently doing. =/

Innovator
06-27-2006, 11:20 PM
*cough*CMPUNK*cough*

Skippord
06-27-2006, 11:23 PM
*Cough*KENNEDY*Cough*

...Cough

Xero
06-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Solutions...

Do the opposite of what they're currently doing. =/
You mean book logically?

Kane Knight
06-27-2006, 11:26 PM
I dunno. There are a few bright spots. Carlito, Kennedy, Whichever MNM guy is still with Melina, Val Venis, Doug Basham, Mark Henry...

...I may have gone a little too far on that one...

But seriously. The first three, Shelton, and a couple other guys could easily be "next level' material with very little effort.

Mr. Aristocrat
06-27-2006, 11:30 PM
They would be acceptable World Champions, but would they bring in new fans? Is anyone here or any fan anywhere going to one day ask who was the best thing to happen to wrestling...Hogan, Hart, Austin, or...Shelton? I don't see any of the upper mid card guys making anyone's top 10 favorite of all time lists any time soon. You're right, they could end up being a main eventer, but does that mean anyone here is looking forward to them being a main eventer?

Innovator
06-27-2006, 11:30 PM
I dunno. There are a few bright spots. Carlito, Kennedy, Whichever MNM guy is still with Melina, Val Venis, Doug Basham, Mark Henry...
Ok Alienoid

Mr. Aristocrat
06-27-2006, 11:32 PM
To be fair, I did forget about Kennedy...but if I was a betting man WWE fucks him up before he reaches his potential.

Kane Knight
06-27-2006, 11:38 PM
They would be acceptable World Champions, but would they bring in new fans? Is anyone here or any fan anywhere going to one day ask who was the best thing to happen to wrestling...Hogan, Hart, Austin, or...Shelton? I don't see any of the upper mid card guys making anyone's top 10 favorite of all time lists any time soon. You're right, they could end up being a main eventer, but does that mean anyone here is looking forward to them being a main eventer?

That's the thing. They're not there yet. Like I said, any one of them COULD be a breakway star, which could happen. Most of these guys are kinda green in at least one aspect.

Also, keep in mind it wasn't long before folks like Michaels and Rocky broke outthat neither one was considered spectacular. I mean, you don't want to do things too soon, or you end up with...

http://john-cena.c0m.it/foto.jpg

Kane Knight
06-27-2006, 11:38 PM
Ok Alienoid

That's an insult to his memory. He would never embrace Mark Henry.

Innovator
06-27-2006, 11:42 PM
Yeah he isn't that masochistic

Fox
06-28-2006, 01:21 AM
The thing about finding the next big thing in wrestling is that you can't really find them per se. Just like The Rock, Stone Cold and Hulk Hogan, the next big thing in wrestling will come out of nowhere and their popularity will be unexplainably huge.

Corkscrewed
06-28-2006, 01:28 AM
Actually, the next big thing in wrestling will be shoved down our throats. YOu know, like two of the last three big things (Batista is arguable depending on if you like him or not).

Mr. Aristocrat
06-28-2006, 02:00 AM
I don't think Batista was shoved, I think WWE was smart enough to listen to the fact he was starting to get massive pops. They also teased his turn for months which was smart.

As for the comment about you never know where the next big thing is going to come from, normally by the time they are IC Champ you can tell. Rocky's first reign obviously not, but by Nation and his second you sure as hell could tell he was going to be big....no idea of HOW big, but at that point no one knew how big wrestling in general could be. But for everyone else I mentioned, Hart, Michaels, Ramon, Austin, Jericho, Benoit, Orton, and yes even Cena, there was something there where you could just tell something about them was bigger then what they were.

And to be fair I am really generalising, I mean I never would have guessed someone like Hunter would have become as big as he did when he was at IC level, but for the most part, when it comes to the "A List" of wrestlers, by the time they are Upper Midcard you more or less can tell if they have "it." And as of right now I don't see anyone (maybe Kennedy, MAYBE Carlito) who has that magical X-factor.

Mister Sinister
06-28-2006, 02:12 AM
To be honest, now of days, I think if he isn't rushed, of course, that's asking alot of of the WWE writing team, but I think Carlito could be the next big drawing star, and this is coming from someone, who always hated him up until a few months ago.

Of course, is it just me, or is it like they are trying to make Edge and John Cena fued seem like an Triple H and Rock rivalary?

Mr. Aristocrat
06-28-2006, 02:25 AM
I honestly don't see where you are drawing the similarities between Rock/HHH and Cena/Edge. Except Bad Guy has "Slutty" girlfriend, good guy takes shots at her. But that was more of Jericho/HHH then Rocky.

Mister Sinister
06-28-2006, 03:39 AM
I guess, the way I see it is...

Well, this is how I got it, and it may be because, I'm a rabid Edge fan.

I remember that The Rock & Triple H from 1998 till 2000, Always seemingly fought against each other, when they did the whole Nation v. DX Thing, then the IC Title fued....They went there seperate ways and did other things, while having a few matches against each other here and there, and then exchanging the championship between each other a few times.

The similarity I see there, and I don't even count Lita into this, is Edge wins the WWE Title from Cena, Cena wins it back, they continue to fued, before it breaking off into other things, before turning back to continue what they started...

Somewhat the same concept in my mind, except started at a different starting point then the Rock/HHH feud.

I just think that in the future, Cena and Edge will continue to be rivals in an way, and have an storied past for the next couple of years like HHH/Rock.

Of course, we're fans, we're supposed to forget there ever fought each other.

RVDmark
06-28-2006, 07:51 AM
I see Carlitto as a future main eventer. He has the charisma factor as well as being able to bust out some decent moves. I also see Umaga as a future main eventer but I don't think he should be.

Y2Jeremy
06-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Yea, Umaga will def. be a main eventer in the future. I think that Benjamin won't be because his mic skills have not improved in years and he is no Benoit. Carlito I think will eventually become a novelty character like Kane. I can't see kennedy getting to the top without creative fucking him over. I don't see Nitro as a world champ, although he has the gimmick to be a world champ already. Lashley is a future maineventer.

TerranRich
06-28-2006, 10:31 AM
I also see Umaga as a future main eventer but I don't think he should be.

Hah, all too true.

Stickman
06-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Umaga will not be a main eventer. Even the WWE is not that stupid.

Also, I don't get all the fuss on here about Carlito. His wrestling style is boring and he's really not that good on the mic.

Kane Knight
06-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Of course, is it just me, or is it like they are trying to make Edge and John Cena fued seem like an Triple H and Rock rivalary?

Well, they're TRYING to...The problem is, everyone was interested in Rock/HHH.

darkpower
06-28-2006, 09:25 PM
What about Chris Masters? Is he still around? (kinda forgot what happened to him for him to be pulled from TV). I know we didn't like him, but his stuff with Carlito got some respect, and he kinda improved since the debut.

Lashley is one that the WWE is right now very high about, as I read, so I'm looking or him to have a sort of Lesner-isc type run soon.

Innovator
06-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Masters has "personal issues*

dude didn't pass the piss test

Kane Knight
06-28-2006, 09:37 PM
What about Chris Masters? Is he still around? (kinda forgot what happened to him for him to be pulled from TV). I know we didn't like him, but his stuff with Carlito got some respect, and he kinda improved since the debut.

Lashley is one that the WWE is right now very high about, as I read, so I'm looking or him to have a sort of Lesner-isc type run soon.

Carlito's work with a potted plant would put the plant over.

Kane Knight
06-28-2006, 09:37 PM
And yeah. Wayne Brady kicks ass.

Nark Order
06-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Booker could easily have an entertaining title reign if they gave him the push. But that really wouldn't be a long term solution considering Booker is getting old and the WWE missed the bullseye on him too many times to even count.

starfox8500
06-29-2006, 12:06 AM
Well if they don't F up the current leads (Kennedy, Nitro, etc.) Sorry to use harsh letters, there's always the possability of going for the you know like 12238762952865 Matt Hardy Push. Also the obvious move of uniting the Raw and SD! rosters could lead to more fueds and and easier solution to main event crisis.

Juan
06-29-2006, 01:19 AM
I honestly think that Carlito, Lashley, Benjamin, Nitro and MAYBE Haas have bright futures.

Kane Knight
06-29-2006, 10:51 AM
I think they could have bright futures, but I think you'll be proven wrong, as WWE has fucked up everyone else.

jindrak
06-29-2006, 08:06 PM
I see the WWE treating Carlito much the same way Christian was treated. Meaning, I doubt the WWE will actually utilize him properly.

Kane Knight
06-29-2006, 09:11 PM
"Carlito? Just a midcarder? Das not cool."

Mr. Aristocrat
06-29-2006, 09:23 PM
Notice how my original point was right. They may or may not make it to the main event level...but none of them (maybe Kennedy) will ever be mentioned in the same breath as Hogan, Hart, Michaels, Austin, Rock, etc.

Kane Knight
06-29-2006, 09:25 PM
But the upper mid card is full of potential, and there are bright spots in the future. How is your original point right?

Skippord
06-29-2006, 10:01 PM
Notice how my original point was right. They may or may not make it to the main event level...but none of them (maybe Kennedy) will ever be mentioned in the same breath as Hogan, Hart, Michaels, Austin, Rock, etc.
Carlito totally could