PDA

View Full Version : Captain Jack and Morgan set sail

ClockShot
07-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Midnight shows across the country this evening. Anyone going?

Champion of Europa
07-06-2006, 09:47 PM
I'm going to a 1am showing that is employee/invite only, because I do a 1am show of every movie that comes out that looks halfway interesting. We aren't doing a 12am show though, because we hate our customers.

KingofOldSchool
07-06-2006, 10:44 PM
I'm going to a 1am showing that is employee/invite only, because I do a 1am show of every movie that comes out that looks halfway interesting. We aren't doing a 12am show though, because we hate our customers.

I would too, if I lived there as well.

Then again Muncie isn't much better. :-\

Skippord
07-07-2006, 02:03 AM
My brother went and sat behind his ex girlfriend

Boondock Saint
07-07-2006, 03:50 AM
I saw it. Thought it was great, and better than the first. Depp is awesome again. And Davy Jones is badass.

The 2 1/2 hour runtime flew by, whereas I felt the first one dragged a bit throughout.

Whole audience clapped during Jack's first appearance, and at the very end...:love:

It's got plenty of action and comedy, and I'd say it's slightly darker in tone than the first.

Can't wait for 3. Good times. :y:

Champion of Europa
07-07-2006, 04:50 AM
This movie was a huge disappointment. It felt like it had no clue where it wanted to go.

It starts plot elements, finds somewhere else it wants to go, then drops those plot elements like nothing.

It seems like when the writers ran into a problem, they'd just have an action scene and hope everyone forgot about the story issues by the time the action was over.

In the first half, most of Jack Sparrow feels like it's trying to rehash the previous film. Until the second act, it feels like Depp's performance is forced. But when he picks up the pieces, the rest of the film falls apart.

It also doesn't feel like it had much forward movement. Knowing what happens to the contents of the chest at the end, there were quite a few moments where it could have feasibly ended. But it dragged out forever.

There are a few good parts, and I'm kind of curious as to how the third movie will manage to salvage what a mess this one was.

LoDownM
07-07-2006, 05:25 AM
I thought it was great.

I wish the Transformers trailer showed more :(

ClockShot
07-07-2006, 07:58 AM
Can't wait for 3. Good times. :y:

Well with Keith Richards in it, it could be good, if he doesn't fall out of a tree again.

road doggy dogg
07-07-2006, 09:10 AM
I saw this thread and read "Captain Morgan something something"

KingofOldSchool
07-07-2006, 09:28 AM
But it dragged out forever.

That's what I hated about the first one, I kept asking myself "When the fuck is this going to be over?"

I'm not too overly thrilled about this movie especially with it being 2 and a half hours long, buuuuut I'm being dragged to go see it tomorrow night. :-\

Kane Knight
07-08-2006, 09:15 AM
I enjoyed it, but I went in with somewhat low expectations. Especially considering they could have taken a shit, smeared the paper with it, and still smashed the box office if Johnny Depp said "Pirate" once or twice.

I now know what it's like to go to a TNA showing. The people in the theater cheered EVERYTHING. The only way thet could be more TNA-Like is if They actually chanted "We want plot holes!"*clap clap clap* Fucking stupid.

But really, who expected fantastic cinema out of this?

Ol Dirty Dastard
07-08-2006, 12:10 PM
This movie was a huge disappointment. It felt like it had no clue where it wanted to go.

It starts plot elements, finds somewhere else it wants to go, then drops those plot elements like nothing.

It seems like when the writers ran into a problem, they'd just have an action scene and hope everyone forgot about the story issues by the time the action was over.

In the first half, most of Jack Sparrow feels like it's trying to rehash the previous film. Until the second act, it feels like Depp's performance is forced. But when he picks up the pieces, the rest of the film falls apart.

It also doesn't feel like it had much forward movement. Knowing what happens to the contents of the chest at the end, there were quite a few moments where it could have feasibly ended. But it dragged out forever.

There are a few good parts, and I'm kind of curious as to how the third movie will manage to salvage what a mess this one was.

Wow man, it's a fuckin Disney movie chill the fuck out.

Yeah I thought the movie was pretty sick, but I didn't go in expecting a masterpiece. I was just a fun movie, with a whole bunch of action and comedy, and a bit of a darker tone. Christ, how could you not like a triple threat sword fight?

Loose Cannon
07-08-2006, 12:38 PM
I loved the movie. Didn't even see the 1st one, but this one had my attention all the way. The flow was great. The music really made a lot of scenes for me. Loved when Jack came back at the end and took the rifle and shot the monster. I need to watch the 1st one I guess.

Kane Knight
07-08-2006, 01:23 PM

Yeah I thought the movie was pretty sick, but I didn't go in expecting a masterpiece. I was just a fun movie, with a whole bunch of action and comedy, and a bit of a darker tone. Christ, how could you not like a triple threat sword fight?

Especially the whole wheel bit.

loopydate
07-08-2006, 01:35 PM
This movie was just about perfect for what it was. It's an action movie, so it doesn't bother me that some of the characters were underdeveloped. They took what was great about the first movie (the action sequences, the score, the sight gags (including Disney in-jokes), and the comic relief) and gave us more.

I know people are going to complain about the ending but it was the absolute perfect way to build to the third movie, and I busted out laughing when the credits started.

Boondock Saint
07-08-2006, 01:55 PM
It made 55 mill on Friday, biggest opening ever (for a Friday, Spidey still holds the Wed record) and looks to be on the way of breaking Spider-Man's 3 day record.

Champion of Europa
07-08-2006, 01:58 PM

I'd give a PG or G rated Disney movie a break. This is a PG-13 Disney movie being marketed to all ages. So, I'm treating it like I would treat any other adult movie.

I did really like a lot of the action scenes that didn't involve the Kraken. But the plot was icky.

Lara Emily
07-08-2006, 07:45 PM
It was just pure fun and quite frankly that`s all it needed to be.

It`s Pg-13 in the states hmm, it`s PG here in Canada ah well.

Depp was hillarious

The plot was pretty simple,

Jack runs from Davey, avoids open water as much as possible thus why he ends up on random pieces of land like that crazy island in the beginning.

Kane Knight
07-08-2006, 08:11 PM
The ending kind of annoyed me though.

Ruby
07-08-2006, 08:12 PM
If you didn't like it, you are being too hard on it. It was really done well. It has left lots of questions for the next movie. For me, it delivered.

Kane Knight
07-08-2006, 09:03 PM
If you didn't like it, you are being too hard on it.

Lara Emily
07-08-2006, 09:07 PM
The ending kind of annoyed me though.

Yeah well at least they didn't do it Matrix Reloaded style.

Kane Knight
07-08-2006, 09:27 PM
How did reloaded end? I don't remember that movie very well.

Lara Emily
07-08-2006, 09:41 PM
How did reloaded end? I don't remember that movie very well.

Neo and that bald guy get hauled into a ship on gurneys, both unconscious, to be concluded comes up on the screen

Kane Knight
07-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Yeah. Craptacular. I remember seeing that for FREE and wanting my money back. And wanting to soccer riot.

Dave Youell
07-10-2006, 06:32 AM
The ending was great! You knew it would get left open ended for the worlds end. But holy fuck did I not see that coming, i was just thinking who the hell could that be, them BAM! Quality!

Oh and did anyone else stay onto the end of the credits? Man i was dissapointed!

Kane Knight
07-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Why? What was at the end of the credits?

Lara Emily
07-11-2006, 03:00 AM
Why? What was at the end of the credits?

Fuck nothing worth a damn, a slight gag with the dog and the cannibals.

mitchables
07-11-2006, 03:32 AM
Yeah the cannibals made the dog their chief. Nothing major.

Personally, I loved the movie. There were only two things I had issue with, and one of them I dealt with later. The only major plot point that felt weak to me was (spoilers):

The fact that those two pirates from the first one - the bald guy and the wooden-eye guy - were treated with a total level of friendly indifference by the protagonists. It was like Elizabeth had forgotten they'd kidnapped her, Jack had forgotten they'd tried to shoot him, and Will had forgotten they were ultimately involved in the "death" of his father.

Other than that though, a totally enjoyable sequel. I enjoyed it just as much - if not more - than the first. Davy Jones was awesome, his crew was awesome, Norrington was way more interesting, Jack was fantastic (not that I expected anything else), and even Will seemed a little less wooden and cardboard. I love the mutual homages between Pirates and the Monkey Island franchise, too.

CoE - what particular things about the plot do you feel were abandoned/covered up with large action scenes?

Downunder
07-11-2006, 05:15 AM
I didn't really like the first one, so i'll wait for a decent torrent and then pass my judgement.

Butch
07-11-2006, 09:02 AM
Why was the cursed monkey from the first film still immortal?

Ruby
07-11-2006, 10:05 AM
I image the monkey has a lot to do with the resurrection of the mutineer Capt. that appeared at the end of the movie. (forget his name)

Kane Knight
07-11-2006, 02:30 PM

I thought they explained that at the end of the first one, but I don't remember.

ClockShot
07-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Alright. I just got back from, and I've got to say, Gore Verbinski really outdid himself in this movie. Here are my thoughts including spoilers. (Highlight)

-Johnny Depp was awesome yet again. The one liners and fight scenes were well played out

-Davey Jones and Crew were done pretty good. Nice to see Bootstrap Bill make an appearance and play a fair share in the plot

-The first thing that popped in my head when I saw the Flying Dutchman come out of the water was "what a ripoff of Harry Potter"

-The ending blew me away. Couldn't believe Captain Barbosa (Geoffrey Rush) is coming back to salvage the Black Pearl and find Captain Jack.

-Keira Knightley. Hot indeed! I was hoping Orlando Bloom would scream "SHUT UP HONEY!" during that 3 way fight seen on the beach.

Trailerwise, I saw the Transformers trailer and I was marking out. What stunned me was that Michael Bay took over director's spot from Steven Speilberg.

Final Grade: A-

Fox
07-11-2006, 03:12 PM
I saw this last night, and all I can say is what a mis-mashed, overly contrived, overly complicated and overly long piece of crap.

There is really no continuity to the story. It's just people zooming off all over the fucking island to find the little pieces of the puzzle, and getting in shit with each other throughout. But there's not really any coherency to the story, nor is there really any logic from one point to the next. First Jack is on the ship with his old crew, then he's with the cannibals, then he's with Davey Jones' crew, then he's back with Kiera and Orlando. It's such a schizophrenic picture that really does only rely on action sequences to keep people tuned in.

Everyone I went with hated it. The witty banter and much more interesting plot line of the first film is gone, while the horrible length and Gore Verbinski's seeming unwillingness to end the film before movie-goers have fallen asleep is intact.

I had similar feelings toward The Matrix Reloaded when I first saw it (thought it was trash except for the cool actions sequences), but after seeing Revolutions and putting the whole story together, it's really not a bad picture.

Hopefully when the final act of the trilogy comes out next summer this big, expensive piece of crap will be slightly more enjoyable. But I doubt it.

Kane Knight
07-11-2006, 03:43 PM
There is really no continuity to the story. It's just people zooming off all over the fucking island to find the little pieces of the puzzle, and getting in shit with each other throughout. But there's not really any coherency to the story, nor is there really any logic from one point to the next. First Jack is on the ship with his old crew, then he's with the cannibals, then he's with Davey Jones' crew, then he's back with Kiera and Orlando. It's such a schizophrenic picture that really does only rely on action sequences to keep people tuned in.

I'm not terribly sure what was so hard to understand that plot cohesion seemed to go out the window. This movie was rather shallow, and I'm not sure how you could have been confused as to why Sparrow was with the cannibals or any of the other stuff you mentioned. This was a very straightforward movie, and it really shouldn't be this confusing to you.

Kane Knight
07-11-2006, 03:46 PM
(Highlight)

-The first thing that popped in my head when I saw the Flying Dutchman come out of the water was "what a ripoff of Harry Potter"

With regards to this, it's a pretty old depiction of it. Given how derivative the Potter books are, I'd say ya dun gut it backwards.

wwe2222
07-11-2006, 04:16 PM
I saw this last night, and all I can say is what a mis-mashed, overly contrived, overly complicated and overly long piece of crap.

SPOILERS IN CASE ANYONE DIDNT SEE IT...

Hmm...I didnt think it was that hard to follow...

Jack is on boat with crew, gets warned about Davey...

Jack tries to avoid open water and either runs aground on cannibal island or docks there purposely because of one reason or another.

Jack escapes, makes a play to find the dead mans chest

Tortuga being the logical place for pirates to be found runs into Norrington and Elizabeth, etc. etc.

Its really pretty simple

I gave this movie a B+/A- part of me wishes it was its own self contained story...but overall I was very entertained and pleased with how it came out

mitchables
07-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Yeah honestly, don't know why so many people are claiming the story was hard to follow. It is not like there were multiple subplots running all over the place. It was pretty damn straightforward.

Kane Knight
07-11-2006, 08:34 PM
SPOILERS IN CASE ANYONE DIDNT SEE IT...

Hmm...I didnt think it was that hard to follow...

Jack is on boat with crew, gets warned about Davey...

Jack tries to avoid open water and either runs aground on cannibal island or docks there purposely because of one reason or another.

Jack escapes, makes a play to find the dead mans chest

Tortuga being the logical place for pirates to be found runs into Norrington and Elizabeth, etc. etc.

Its really pretty simple

I gave this movie a B+/A- part of me wishes it was its own self contained story...but overall I was very entertained and pleased with how it came out

Yeah, the shit was incredibly by the numbers and explained exactly where they were going at every step.

I'm seriously wondering how dense people have to be to not figure out why things are happening the way they are in like 99% of the cases you could mention. There were a couple that seemed like they were questionable (I don't think I caught why Will thought it was smart to join up with Jones, no matter how dire things were, and what's with Sparrow pretending not to be into guys?), but really, easy as fuck to follow.

Blitz
07-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Man, really liked this one. I can't remember the last time I was smiling basically beginning to end during a movie. The action sequences were phenomenal. I wasn't expecting such a cliffhanger of an ending, but it really got me amped for part 3.

And yess, :love: Davy Jones

Unfortunately I didn't get to see either the Transformers or Spiderman previews on the big screen. Just a Denzel Washington flick and something starring Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher (Who thought that was a good idea?).

Kane Knight
07-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Coster+ Kutcher is a good idea. Contain all the suck you can in one movie.

mitchables
07-12-2006, 07:11 AM
Yeah, I got the previews Blitz got. That Costner/Kutcher one had a Snow Patrol song in the preview, for some reason. Also got the preview for that one with Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves. You know. The one that isn't "Speed".

mitchables
07-12-2006, 07:12 AM

At the end of the credits of the first one, there is a small scene where Jack (the monkey) goes to the chest and steals a piece of the cursed gold again, making him undead.

Skippord
07-12-2006, 07:39 AM
I got that crappy preview with Costner and Kutcher too.

Innovator
07-12-2006, 08:21 AM
Yeah, I got that one also, but luckily Transformers blocked out the bad memories

Kane Knight
07-12-2006, 08:59 AM
I got the Costner one along with the aforementioned Transformers and Spiderman.

ClockShot
07-12-2006, 09:33 AM
I saw something with Justin Long (the kid from Ed and now doing Apple commericals alongside Steve Jobs) in which he opens up a fake college that looked sorta interesting.

Kane Knight
07-12-2006, 09:49 AM
I saw that when I saw Superman Returns. I actually had to explain to my friends why I was laughing at the acronym.

Blitz
07-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Yeah, saw the Accepted trailer at Superman as well. Superman had maybe the worst collection of previews I've ever seen.

Kane Knight
07-12-2006, 07:09 PM
I saw it at Cinemark, so there were trailers even before the tailers started.

Penner
07-13-2006, 12:54 AM
I'm happy with what the movie delivered. Pretty decent for what it was. It made me excited for the sequel, and that's kinda what I wanted.

Fox
07-13-2006, 02:53 PM
maybe i should see it again when i'm not baked at 1030.

Evil Vito
07-14-2006, 06:06 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Just saw it today...damn good movie.

Davey Jones was the shit, and Jack Sparrow always rules</font>

Kane Knight
07-14-2006, 06:08 PM
maybe i should see it again when i'm not baked at 1030.

You know, sometimes I get the feeling you're an idiot. But there are others...

...No, you're a total idiot. :D

Extreme Angle
07-15-2006, 06:07 AM
*spoiler highlight*
so where do you think jack is now?
because i didn't understand much at the end, my mate seems to think he is in porogaty (waiting room to see if you go to heaven or hell)
all in all it was a good film

KingofOldSchool
07-15-2006, 12:39 PM
I didn't see the Transformers or Spiderman trailers, that damn pissed me off.

Kane Knight
07-16-2006, 10:15 AM
*spoiler highlight*
because i didn't understand much at the end, my mate seems to think he is in porogaty (waiting room to see if you go to heaven or hell)

The word is purgatory. Anyway, his oul belongs to Davey Jones, does it not?

That is, if you're expecting continuity.

D Mac
07-16-2006, 11:55 PM
*spoiler highlight*

Davey Jones Locker :roll:

Skippord
07-17-2006, 12:09 AM
BYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!