PDA

View Full Version : The favourite wrestler feel

Ben Rodrigues
07-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Is it me or is there no one in the WWE to get behind anymore? Like for me, there is no one worthy of “favourite wrestler” status since Eddie Guerrero (and I’m not just saying that because he died). Angle at one time my favourite – doesn’t rub me the right way anymore. He still has awesome matches – but this angry man thing he’s got going on doesn’t really appeal to me. And every week I look forward to the DX antics, and even though I consider Shawn Michaels my all time favourite, with Bret a close second – I don’t see either him on Triple H as worthy of favourite wrestler status. I appreciate guys like Edge & Kennedy – but still. There’s no longer that feeling I had when I was younger with Hogan. Or in 2000 with Triple H. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Fox
07-17-2006, 01:07 AM
I completely agree, and I certainly believe that it has to do with the cyclical trends in wrestling. During the 80's, Hogan was larger than life and big enough for people to get interested in wrestling. In the late 90's/early 00's, WCW and the WWE were both packed with guys that fans could easily get behind.

The problem today is that the same guys that were big back then (with the obvious names removed): Triple H, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Vince McMahon, Kane (to a lesser extent), Rey Mysterio and Kurt Angle, are all doing the same things they did back then (especially Triple H and HBK, to a hurtful extent).

Then the new guys just aren't very interesting characters. Try as they might, John Cena is no Rock or Austin. The same goes for Edge, Booker T, Mark Henry, Carlito, Chris Masters, Shelton Benjamin, Umaga, Great Kahli, Ken Kennedy. None of them have that "it" factor, mainly because the writers don't give them anything interesting to do.

Thanks to the cyclical nature of wrestling, hopefully one day we'll get characters that we can actually care about and feuds we can get into.

Xerzes
07-17-2006, 03:05 AM
I think Carlito might be able to become a proper favorite if he started getting some proper mic time again.

OverTaker
07-17-2006, 03:26 AM
Absolutely Ben, and Fox makes a very good point.

Carlito is cool

Gertner
07-18-2006, 10:36 AM
Matt Striker baby. He's the only wrestler that i get excited when i hear his music, cause he's so damn good on the mic

Stickman
07-18-2006, 03:38 PM
I feel the same way. The only guy I can get behind is Triple H, and everything he could do has been done.

I do like Shawn Michaels but knowing he won't be main eventing a storyline it's pointless to get behind him. I must say, he is still great in the ring. The moonsault to the floor on Raw was pretty sweet, and I was super suprised that he did that.

Arnold HamNegger
07-18-2006, 03:58 PM
Well, the problem I see is that the writers are in a constant struggle with the fans. The writers don't seem to wanna let the fans choose who their favorite wrestler is. The writers want total control of who gets over and who doesn't...and when the fans backlash, we get character's and angles shoved down our throats and the "blacksheep" favorites get buried and creatively castrated. Until writer/owner ego's are put aside, I don't see anything changing in the near or distant future.

Fox
07-18-2006, 09:07 PM
What they need to do is feud a young talent with an established talent. A long feud between Shelton Benjamin and Shawn Michaels, for example, would be a huge hit. Triple H vs. Chris Masters and Kurt Angle vs. Ken Kennedy are also feuds that would elevate younger stars.

But that can't be the extent of their plans. It's happened before. The very short-lived Benjamin vs. Triple H feud did help to establish Shelton as a star, but once it was over, so was Shelton's storyline, and now look at him. He's a nobody on RAW with a great moveset.

It is absolutely possible to get these guys over and give them that "it" feel. Mick Foley does this better than anyone else. He put Triple H into the upper echelon forever with his jobs at Royal Rumble 2000 and No Way Out 2000. He made Randy Orton a star by jobbing to him in grand fashion at WrestleMania 20 and Backlash. His most recent accomplishment would certainly have to be Edge, who, after only two encounters, he has put over the moon and lead him to the WWE Championship.

The Rock put over Brock Lesnar before leaving for Hollywood in 2002, and had Brock not gotten so damn cocky, he would still be a main event player today.

But what do we get today? HHH and HBK constantly squashing FIVE other young, extremely talented fresh wrestlers in a series of handicap matches. That does not build new talent.

Mr. Nerfect
07-19-2006, 12:24 AM
I think the WWE is hurting itself by pushing one particular talent over all others. John Cena should not be "invincible". He's actually doing more harm to the WWE than good.

Edge should beat John Cena, decisively. Main eventers should all get their time in the sun. Triple H and Shawn Michaels need to start passing the torch to younger stars. With The Spirit Squad breaking up, I think Triple H should feud with Ken Doane and Shawn Michaels with Johnny Jeter. Have Jeter beat HBK and Doane beat Triple H. Then have Kenny win the WWE Title (I'm serious), which pisses off Orton, who costs Doane the title before WrestleMania, so that we can have Randy Orton vs. Ken Doane at WrestleMania 23. That is money. Johnny Jeter should be a part of the Money in the Bank Ladder Match, and should have a good shot at winning.

I still think guys like Kane and Edge have drawn the short straw in terms of being main event stars. Both are from yesteryear, and neither got their megapush back then, and now there are new talent looking to shoot ahead of them. I think Kane and Edge should be given juicy runs at the top. Kane should really beat The Undertaker at WrestleMania 23. I know it sounds wrong, and a lot of people think a young guy should be Taker, but Kane and Taker have that legacy together. Kane should outlast Undertaker in this business, and when there is no Dead Man, there will only really be Kane left as a credible big man (Batista and Big Show, but they are kind of more "real" wrestlers).

I think SmackDown! has the right idea. Even distribution of the Heavyweight Title. This year Batista has had a reign, Kurt Angle took over, Rey Mysterio won it from him and now it looks like King Booker and Batista will get more for their resume. There isn't one single guy (see: John Cena) who decimates the roster week in and week out.

The One
07-19-2006, 02:33 AM
I am not kidding on bit when I say this, my favorite current wrestler is Eric Young. I think he has that magical "X-Factor" ten folds. He single handedly makes TNA worth watching.