PDA

View Full Version : Joker casting news-Heath Ledger offered the role

Boondock Saint
07-20-2006, 04:11 PM
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060720i.php

For months, gossip has been circulating who would play The Joker in the "Batman Begins" sequel which will concentrate on the Clown Prince of Crime.

Now, Latino Review who revealed that Brandon Routh was going to be the new Superman, has heard from a very trusted source that the offer last night was officially made to Heath Ledger to star as The Joker in the sequel.

Seems an unusual choice, much younger than expected considering other mentioned names have included Robin Williams and Paul Bettany. The tall and lanky Ledger has proven himself to be a solid awards-calibre actor who can disappear into a performance.
--------------------------------------------------

So....yeah. I dunno. Definitely unexpected, but I suppose if he accepts the role, he could pull it off. I could see him more as a Harvey Dent though.

wwe2222
07-20-2006, 04:13 PM
!!!!! that is terrible!!! ughhh...how can they pick heath ledger as the joker? what kind of evil laugh can he do? terrible

Fignuts
07-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Brokeback Gotham.

loopydate
07-20-2006, 04:45 PM
!!!!! that is terrible!!! ughhh...how can they pick heath ledger as the joker? what kind of evil laugh can he do? terrible

Yes. He's clearly terrible, considering all the roles he's taken where we've seen him do it. :roll:

Just because someone hasn't done something, doesn't mean they can't.

Although I have to admit, I'm a pretty big Heath Ledger fan ("A Knight's Tale" is one of my favorite movies), but I don't really care for this choice. I also don't particularly believe it.

Joey Slugs
07-20-2006, 04:48 PM
I love this choice.

Most people that hate it are the people that only know the Joker as Jack Nicholson's version and are not thinking about the comic book verison of the "Clown Price of Crime".

Heath could pull off the role.

Blitz
07-20-2006, 04:54 PM
I don't mind it that much, if true.

Disturbed316
07-20-2006, 05:23 PM
I think he could pull it off, seems like a pretty decent choice.

Kane Knight
07-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Paul Bettany would have been a better choice. Robin Williams would be horrible. Heath Ledger can probably do it, though.

Fignuts
07-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Heath has done so many different roles, and done a great job on all of them. Still would have preffered Crispin Glover, but I'll give ledger a chance, for sure.

DaveWadding
07-20-2006, 07:40 PM
I liked the Adrien Brody choice myself..but I trust Nolan.

ClockShot
07-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Hmmmmmmm. Heath Ledger as a former mob soldier. Gets into an accident which gives him snow white skin and green hair, and one hell of a smile, and sportin' purple suits. He COULD pull it off. But there are others.

KingofOldSchool
07-20-2006, 08:48 PM
Johnny Depp

Kane Knight
07-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Depp would do a good Job too, though I could see him more as a Riddler. He seems to play characters that are cerebral without being inaccessable to the "average joe."

KingofOldSchool
07-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Yeah, Depp's abilities are so broad that he could pull off both The Joker and The Riddler. Although for both parts, he'd have to cut his hair...I don't know if he'd do that.

Ben Rodrigues
07-21-2006, 05:27 AM
I reckon Jack Nicholson would do an excellent job. :shifty:

Bad Company
07-21-2006, 06:29 AM
Pretty good choice

Mr. Monday Morning
07-21-2006, 06:32 AM
http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0388795/1606.jpg

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0304711/SE-4.jpg

He seems to have the right facial structure, at least. I dunno, I have to say I've not seen a single one of his films, but I also trust Nolan & co. I mean, they got a good performance out of Rutger Hauer for crying out loud.

ClockShot
07-21-2006, 08:44 AM
I reckon Jack Nicholson would do an excellent job. :shifty:

I'm willing to bet Jack Nicholson would throw on the makeup again if paid a good amout of money. Those floor seats to Lakers games must be expensive.:roll:

Mister Sinister
07-21-2006, 07:04 PM
I think Michael Keaton should play the Joker.

Kane Knight
07-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Yeah, Depp's abilities are so broad that he could pull off both The Joker and The Riddler. Although for both parts, he'd have to cut his hair...I don't know if he'd do that.

The only thing I've seen depp in I didn't like him as was Willy Wonka.

We all got the Michael Jackson reference like 20 years ago. No need to ram it down our throats and up our arses with an innuendo doublestuff.

Funky Fly
07-21-2006, 10:41 PM
Yeah, what about Mark Hammil? He's already done the voice in the 90s cartoon and he could probably pull off the role.

Kane Knight
07-21-2006, 10:58 PM
He's pretty suitable, as long as they can make up his distinguishable face a little (IMO).

redoneja
07-21-2006, 11:04 PM
Willem Dafoe

Kane Knight
07-21-2006, 11:23 PM
Already a Villain in a movie.

Lord-Of-Darkness
07-24-2006, 07:58 PM
So can someone explain how this is going to work? I thought Batman Begins was supposed to just be a prequel to the other Batman movies. But Batman didn't meet the Joker until mid way through the 1st movie when he was transormed into the Joker. So whats the deal?

loopydate
07-24-2006, 09:02 PM
"Begins" wasn't a prequel. It was a reboot of the franchise. They figured that, rather than trying to pick up the pieces after "Batman & Robin," it was easier to just start back with the origin story.

Kane Knight
07-24-2006, 09:09 PM
So can someone explain how this is going to work? I thought Batman Begins was supposed to just be a prequel to the other Batman movies. But Batman didn't meet the Joker until mid way through the 1st movie when he was transormed into the Joker. So whats the deal?

It's not a prequel. You may have noticed, but there's a huge amount different in that movie from the previous incarnation of the Batman legacy.

In fact, the Joker's already been mentioned in the first movie anyway, at the very end. He's the thug leaving calling cards.

Joey Slugs
08-01-2006, 02:01 AM
We have a villain AND a title. :y:

Warner Bros. has confirmed that Heath Ledger will be playing The Joker in The Dark Knight, the next Batman movie. "I'm excited to continue the story we started with Batman Begins," director Christopher Nolan, who has also signed up for the sequel, said in a statement. "Our challenge in casting the Joker was to find an actor who is not just extraordinarily talented but fearless. Watching Heath Ledger's interpretation of this iconic character taking on Christian Bale's Batman is going to be incredible."

FourFifty
08-01-2006, 04:14 AM
I'd rather see Robin Williams as The Joker.

Boondock Saint
08-01-2006, 04:40 AM
I trust Nolan with his choice for the Joker. I'm not entirely sold on it yet, but I think he knows what he's doing.

I love "The Dark Knight" title though.

Also it's rumored that The Penguin may be in this too.

Boondock Saint
08-01-2006, 04:44 AM
Here it is, http://www.batman-on-film.com/batmovienews.html

As you have long suspected, the two main villains in the BATMAN BEGINS sequel will be The Joker and The Penquin.

It seems Nolan has been listening to you guys when it comes to casting his other villain, however. I can confirm that an offer has been made to Phillip Seymour Hoffman for the role. Yet Hoffman has indicated that he may not get involved in the sequel.

So the scuttlebutt long reported by BOF that The Penguin will be in the sequel looks to be true (The rumor is that he'll be a British arms dealer/mob boss with designs on Gotham).
----------------------------------

So that's still a rumor floating around currently. We'll see if it happens. I think the Joker is a villain who deserves an entire movie, not shared with another villain (a lame one at that). However, if The Penguin is only in it briefly, maybe setting him up for another film, I could be down with that.

Whatever, can't wait for this already. :love:

ct2k
08-05-2006, 09:49 AM
I think Joker is crying out for Sean Penn or Crispin Glover. Also, Paul Bettany is a shit actor and a wanker, that is all:y:

Mr. Monday Morning
08-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks for weighing in with your thoughts when the casting has been confirmed :y:

The Mackem
08-06-2006, 11:22 AM
:y:

John la Rock
08-20-2006, 07:00 PM
I read somewhere that Ryan Phillippe has been offered the role of Harvey Dent/Two-Face. a little young don't you think?

Kane Knight
08-20-2006, 11:09 PM
I read somewhere that Ryan Phillippe has been offered the role of Harvey Dent/Two-Face. a little young don't you think?

The guy's 31...How old does Two-Face need to be?

Pinnacle Charisma
08-21-2006, 07:32 AM
I have never thought Heath Ledger was a good actor in fact I have always thought he was a horrible actor.

But since Nolan did such a great job with the first movie and all the actors in that where fantastic ( even Katie Holmes ) in it I have hope that he will pull out a half decent performance out of Ledger.

Dave Youell
08-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Katie Holmes sucked in the first film, which is why she's not coming back, she was the only negative of the whole film.

That and the one dodgy CGI shot from the first person view from the train

Joey Slugs
08-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Katie Holmes sucked in the first film, which is why she's not coming back, she was the only negative of the whole film.

That and the one dodgy CGI shot from the first person view from the train

Katie Holmes "sucking" is NOT the reason she will not be in the second film.

Kane Knight
09-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Last Whoring of Sci Fi News...

Knight Changes Things Up

Christopher Nolan, who is directing the upcoming Batman sequel film The Dark Knight, told ComingSoon.net (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=16258) that he will change things up from his first movie. "I think what people responded to well about Batman Begins is how different it was from their expectations, so I think we would be foolish to not recognize that and to [try to replicate that now-predictable blueprint]," he said while editing his upcoming supernatural movie The Prestige. "I think we'll be doing something very different for the sequel. I certainly wouldn't have any interest in trying to repeat [the] experience or the formula we've made because, particularly being the origin story, it's a very unique thing, a very singular experience. My interest would sort of be to move on from that and to do something quite different."

The Dark Knight will bring back Christian Bale as the Caped Crusader, joined by Heath Ledger as the Joker. It's slated for release in June 2008.

The Prestige, starring Hugh Jackman, Bale, Michael Caine, Scarlett Johansson, Rebecca Hall, Andy Serkis, Piper Perabo and David Bowie, opens Oct. 20.