PDA

View Full Version : I know probably like half of you don't want to hear this, but...

Kane Knight
07-24-2006, 06:30 PM
WWE and televised pro wrestling in general could learn a thing or two from watching MMA. I know, I know, wrestling forum, blah blah blah, but I've watched some Pride FC and UFC of late, and I really wish we had a couple of announcers like the guys who call those matches, because they manage to tell you about the wrestlers (without shoving it down your throat) and make the matches seem more exciting.

Now, I don't blame the commentators, because commentary is primarily stifled by the writers/creative/Vince McMahonwhich, but I really think this is what wrestling should be doing. Half the time, you don't get enough info on the wrestlers, and the other half, it's crammed down your throat.

So yeah. I know there are several on this board who'll complain about a thread that mentions MMA, but this really struck me as how they should be doing it on WWE programming (And TNA, but I don't watch that often anymore).

I'm sure it's not the only place they could learn from 'em, either. It's just painfully obvious after having listened to hundreds of hours of WWE commentary.

loopydate
07-24-2006, 06:55 PM
You're absolutely right. I'm not a huge fan of MMA (I'll watch once in a while), but they definitely do a good job of making the matches look like they actually mean something. Title matches in particular.

It's almost enough to make you want a Michael Buffer return.

Skippord
07-24-2006, 06:56 PM
WWE could learn from Don West

loopydate
07-24-2006, 06:57 PM
LEARNING FROM DON WEST?!? MY GOD, THAT'S SO BIZARRE!!!

Anybody Thrilla
07-24-2006, 06:57 PM
The problem is, most of the matches DON'T mean anything, so it's hard to make it look that way.

"Rob Conway's really got a lot riding on this match!"...see, that just doesn't sound right.

Skippord
07-24-2006, 07:01 PM
LEARNING FROM DON WEST?!? MY GOD, THAT'S SO BIZARRE!!!
YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!

Dorkchop
07-24-2006, 07:02 PM
WWE could learn from Don West

Much like how I learned exatly what not to grow up to be from my step-dad.

Kane Knight
07-24-2006, 07:14 PM
The problem is, most of the matches DON'T mean anything, so it's hard to make it look that way.

"Rob Conway's really got a lot riding on this match!"...see, that just doesn't sound right.

Of course, they don't have to say that. It's not like everyone in UFC is of equal import.

Kane Knight
07-24-2006, 07:15 PM
Much like how I learned exatly what not to grow up to be from my step-dad.

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT POST EVER!

Anybody Thrilla
07-24-2006, 07:24 PM
THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT POST EVER!

Tony Schiavone is gonna sue you.

Kane Knight
07-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Tony Schiavone is gonna sue you.

UNBELIEVABLE!

St. Jimmy
07-24-2006, 08:19 PM
*SNORTHACKWHEEZESNOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKK*

Stickman
07-25-2006, 01:13 PM
Yeah, the wwe matches are pointless so there's not much the announcers can do to add to it. Especially since every match is the same. 3 minutes of running against the ropes, arm drags, chops, and weak finishing move. You can't really get much accomplished as an announcer.

St. Jimmy
07-25-2006, 04:44 PM
I think KK just wants WWE to sign Joe Rogan to an exclusive deal like the Miz.

hb2k
07-25-2006, 04:55 PM

Please, no...

Although your point is right. The percentage of TV viewers UFC convinces to buy the PPVs (from a smaller audience) is unbelievably higher than WWE's and for that matter, TNA's. With UFC absolutely spanking WWE's B Shows now, there is much to be learned, as it's becoming clear that both wrestling companies are using methods of promotion that don't appeal to the audience anymore, whereas UFC's methods clearly do.

Kane Knight
07-25-2006, 06:07 PM

Hoo Rah?

Kane Knight
07-25-2006, 06:10 PM
Yeah, the wwe matches are pointless so there's not much the announcers can do to add to it. Especially since every match is the same. 3 minutes of running against the ropes, arm drags, chops, and weak finishing move. You can't really get much accomplished as an announcer.

So PFC announcers can make a 1 minute squash match seem like it's an important match, but wrestling announcers are POWERLESS?