PDA

View Full Version : A quick tag team post...

Mr. Nerfect
08-14-2006, 07:13 AM
Actually, it's not going to be quick. This is probably an incomplete list, as I've left out some minor tag teams like Funaki & Scotty 2 Hotty, The Gymini, Jim Duggan & Eugene, Val Venis & Snitsky, etc. But anyway, here is a list of the major keystones of what could be a tag team revival:

RAW Tag Team Division:
The Spirit Squad
When news came that Kenny, Johnny, Mikey, Nicky & Mitch were breaking up, my first reaction was "Yay!", but only now has it occurred to me the greatness still left unexplored in this tag team. The Hardy Boyz are set to return to RAW. Can you imagine the matches? Mikey vs. Jeff Hardy: Spiriton vs. Swanton? There is so much potential there. The Spirit Squad could do some fantastic things if they disbanded, namely Kenny and Johnny respectively, but Nicky and Mitch would arguably be lost. It's not worth damaging great heel main eventers for the sake of pushing Kenny and Johnny, who have already been pushed to the top in a way. With Doane and Jeter behind their first names the sky is the limit, but right now they are in need of being humbled in the Tag Team Division. Doane and Jeter will still be as talented in six months time, when the main event scene clears up a bit.

The Hardy Boyz
With Jeff Hardy confirmed as returning to an already stacked RAW, Matt Hardy should follow pursuit. The Spirit Squad vs. The Hardy Boyz in a Ladder Match. That alone could restore some credibility to the World Tag Team Championship.

MNM
Hear me out. Johnny Nitro is scheduled to lose the Intercontinental Championship to Kane. Then what? They can't push him to the main event, yet. His value to the IC Title scene isn't that academic (his title run was only to establish him as a singles guy, really), thus being used to restore credibility to a broken Tag Team Division seems logical. Bring Joey Mercury back to RAW, and give them the simple goal of feuding with The Hardy Boyz. Melina can explain that her boys feel they are the greatest tag team of all-time, and the reunion of yesteryear's greatest tag team, The Hardy Boyz, has put all hiccoughs behind the record-breaking three-time WWE Tag Team Champions. The Spirit Squad vs. The Hardy Boyz vs. MNM in a TLC Match? That is a tag team revival.

Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch
The Attitude era had Edge & Christian, The Hardyz and The Dudleyz leading the way. They also had The APA. A tag team who wasn't one of the leaders of the division, but they seperated the upper-class tag teams from the lower-class. They didn't look strange with the belts. Cade and Murdoch are deceiving high-risk competitors, and they are getting a tag team "Goldberg-push". A few feuds on Heat can help establish depth in the Tag Team Division.

The Highlanders
The "Too Cool" of this era's Tag Team Division. Give them a run with the belts to appease the fans, but from then on, they are tag team jobbers. I like Rory and Robbie, but they are realistically a comedy gimmick in a division which requires some level of seriousness.

SmackDown! Tag Team Division:
Paul London & Brian Kendrick
This is obvious. London & Kendrick are easily in the best Top Ten Tag Teams of all-time. No, that is not an exaggeration. It seems a waste to leave them out of the "TLC" feud on RAW, but challenging these guys is going to get the best results long-term. RAW's Tag Team Division has always been the weaker of the two. Putting the best tag team in the WWE on the weaker show makes it seem a lot more balanced, and it allows things to even out a bit. London & Kendrick have a lot to offer the Cruiserweight Division, but the Tag Team Division takes priority at the moment.

The Pit Bulls
The WWE has made it pretty clear they want these two back together when Kid Kash is off suspension. I don't blame the WWE. Jamie Noble and Kid Kash work well together, and they're just starting to click image-wise as a tag team. Let these two grow together, and let them feud with Paul London & Brian Kendrick. That's a budding garden bed for tag team wrestling, and it almost seems the start of new era, unlike RAW's Tag Team Division, which seems to be riding the past (a mistake of the Attitude era and its tag teams). What seperates Jamie Noble, Kid Kash, Paul London & Brian Kendrick as tag team competitors from failed tag teams like The Hurricane & Rosey (for example), is that The Pit Bulls and WWE Tag Team Champions seem to be new fish in a new pond, not new fish in an old pond. It works, and these two teams should definately be leading a new era for the Tag Team Division.

The Mexicools
"What? Didn't these two break-up?". Yep, but they should get back together. What are they doing as singles competitors. Whilst some may argue Super Crazy has the opportunity to be Cruiserweight Champion, one has to question (and this is nothing against the Cruiserweight Division), is it worth it? Especially considering Psicosis is doing nothing. The Mexicools are a great tag team, and the fans will welcome them back. Six talented cruiserweights in the Tag Team Division, now that is grand.

La Resistance
RAW gets MNM back together, SmackDown! gets La Resistance back together. Ah, the irony. Trade Matt Hardy to RAW for Rob Conway, and stick Conway and Sylvan (once again going by Sylvain Grenier) back together. The former three-time World Tag Team Champions would be fresh on SmackDown! (like the former three-time WWE Tag Team Champions would be fresh on RAW), and they have plenty of talented workers to have even better tag team matches with than they were having on RAW. It seems like step backwards for Conway & Grenier, but in reality, it is a step forwards, because now they actually get to contribute constructively to a show rather than being jobbed out under the guise of "developing their own character".

KC James & Idol Stevens
Believe it or not, I see these two as a lowr ranked tag team on SmackDown!. They just don't click well together, but with time and patience they can grow into seperate singles characters. It may be an interesting angle to run, two guys come into the WWE, fail to get over as a tag team, they feud, one gets a push out the gates, the other has to re-invent themselves. Kind of like Shawn Michaels vs. Marty Jannetty, only without The Rockers backstory. I don't see them as jobbers, so to speak, but rather as a tag team that probably won't be first, second or even third preference to be WWE Tag Team Champions.

On SmackDown!, you could kind of have Sylvester Terkay and Elijah Burke team-up, but I think they're better off with their alternating singles thing.

So how does that sound? Is putting together a lot of the past teams that have gone through the WWE's tag team halls, largely unnoticed, due to a lacking support of other great tag teams, the way to go? The Hardy Boyz, MNM, La Resistance and The Mexicools all reforming could go a long way to helping the World Tag Team Championship and WWE Tag Team Championship.

Mr. Nerfect
08-14-2006, 07:15 AM
While you're reforming the "great tag teams of the past" on RAW (with The Hardyz and MNM returning to the tag scene), you may as well throw Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin back together as The World's Greatest Tag Team.

Caged Heat18
08-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Actually, it's not going to be quick. This is probably an incomplete list, as I've left out some minor tag teams like Funaki & Scotty 2 Hotty, The Gymini, Jim Duggan & Eugene, Val Venis & Snitsky, etc. But anyway, here is a list of the major keystones of what could be a tag team revival:

RAW Tag Team Division:
The Spirit Squad
When news came that Kenny, Johnny, Mikey, Nicky & Mitch were breaking up, my first reaction was "Yay!", but only now has it occurred to me the greatness still left unexplored in this tag team. The Hardy Boyz are set to return to RAW. Can you imagine the matches? Mikey vs. Jeff Hardy: Spiriton vs. Swanton? There is so much potential there. The Spirit Squad could do some fantastic things if they disbanded, namely Kenny and Johnny respectively, but Nicky and Mitch would arguably be lost. It's not worth damaging great heel main eventers for the sake of pushing Kenny and Johnny, who have already been pushed to the top in a way. With Doane and Jeter behind their first names the sky is the limit, but right now they are in need of being humbled in the Tag Team Division. Doane and Jeter will still be as talented in six months time, when the main event scene clears up a bit.

The Hardy Boyz
With Jeff Hardy confirmed as returning to an already stacked RAW, Matt Hardy should follow pursuit. The Spirit Squad vs. The Hardy Boyz in a Ladder Match. That alone could restore some credibility to the World Tag Team Championship.

MNM
Hear me out. Johnny Nitro is scheduled to lose the Intercontinental Championship to Kane. Then what? They can't push him to the main event, yet. His value to the IC Title scene isn't that academic (his title run was only to establish him as a singles guy, really), thus being used to restore credibility to a broken Tag Team Division seems logical. Bring Joey Mercury back to RAW, and give them the simple goal of feuding with The Hardy Boyz. Melina can explain that her boys feel they are the greatest tag team of all-time, and the reunion of yesteryear's greatest tag team, The Hardy Boyz, has put all hiccoughs behind the record-breaking three-time WWE Tag Team Champions. The Spirit Squad vs. The Hardy Boyz vs. MNM in a TLC Match? That is a tag team revival.

Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch
The Attitude era had Edge & Christian, The Hardyz and The Dudleyz leading the way. They also had The APA. A tag team who wasn't one of the leaders of the division, but they seperated the upper-class tag teams from the lower-class. They didn't look strange with the belts. Cade and Murdoch are deceiving high-risk competitors, and they are getting a tag team "Goldberg-push". A few feuds on Heat can help establish depth in the Tag Team Division.

The Highlanders
The "Too Cool" of this era's Tag Team Division. Give them a run with the belts to appease the fans, but from then on, they are tag team jobbers. I like Rory and Robbie, but they are realistically a comedy gimmick in a division which requires some level of seriousness.

SmackDown! Tag Team Division:
Paul London & Brian Kendrick
This is obvious. London & Kendrick are easily in the best Top Ten Tag Teams of all-time. No, that is not an exaggeration. It seems a waste to leave them out of the "TLC" feud on RAW, but challenging these guys is going to get the best results long-term. RAW's Tag Team Division has always been the weaker of the two. Putting the best tag team in the WWE on the weaker show makes it seem a lot more balanced, and it allows things to even out a bit. London & Kendrick have a lot to offer the Cruiserweight Division, but the Tag Team Division takes priority at the moment.

The Pit Bulls
The WWE has made it pretty clear they want these two back together when Kid Kash is off suspension. I don't blame the WWE. Jamie Noble and Kid Kash work well together, and they're just starting to click image-wise as a tag team. Let these two grow together, and let them feud with Paul London & Brian Kendrick. That's a budding garden bed for tag team wrestling, and it almost seems the start of new era, unlike RAW's Tag Team Division, which seems to be riding the past (a mistake of the Attitude era and its tag teams). What seperates Jamie Noble, Kid Kash, Paul London & Brian Kendrick as tag team competitors from failed tag teams like The Hurricane & Rosey (for example), is that The Pit Bulls and WWE Tag Team Champions seem to be new fish in a new pond, not new fish in an old pond. It works, and these two teams should definately be leading a new era for the Tag Team Division.

The Mexicools
"What? Didn't these two break-up?". Yep, but they should get back together. What are they doing as singles competitors. Whilst some may argue Super Crazy has the opportunity to be Cruiserweight Champion, one has to question (and this is nothing against the Cruiserweight Division), is it worth it? Especially considering Psicosis is doing nothing. The Mexicools are a great tag team, and the fans will welcome them back. Six talented cruiserweights in the Tag Team Division, now that is grand.

La Resistance
RAW gets MNM back together, SmackDown! gets La Resistance back together. Ah, the irony. Trade Matt Hardy to RAW for Rob Conway, and stick Conway and Sylvan (once again going by Sylvain Grenier) back together. The former three-time World Tag Team Champions would be fresh on SmackDown! (like the former three-time WWE Tag Team Champions would be fresh on RAW), and they have plenty of talented workers to have even better tag team matches with than they were having on RAW. It seems like step backwards for Conway & Grenier, but in reality, it is a step forwards, because now they actually get to contribute constructively to a show rather than being jobbed out under the guise of "developing their own character".

KC James & Idol Stevens
Believe it or not, I see these two as a lowr ranked tag team on SmackDown!. They just don't click well together, but with time and patience they can grow into seperate singles characters. It may be an interesting angle to run, two guys come into the WWE, fail to get over as a tag team, they feud, one gets a push out the gates, the other has to re-invent themselves. Kind of like Shawn Michaels vs. Marty Jannetty, only without The Rockers backstory. I don't see them as jobbers, so to speak, but rather as a tag team that probably won't be first, second or even third preference to be WWE Tag Team Champions.

On SmackDown!, you could kind of have Sylvester Terkay and Elijah Burke team-up, but I think they're better off with their alternating singles thing.

So how does that sound? Is putting together a lot of the past teams that have gone through the WWE's tag team halls, largely unnoticed, due to a lacking support of other great tag teams, the way to go? The Hardy Boyz, MNM, La Resistance and The Mexicools all reforming could go a long way to helping the World Tag Team Championship and WWE Tag Team Championship.

:y: Nice post.

MNM and the Mexicools should never have broken up in the first place. Of course, their are some outside circumstances on why MNM broke up. It would be cool to see the Hardy's back together atleast for a short while, and I agree the Spirit Squad should stay together for a while longer. All in all it's a good start to reinvent the tag team division on both brands, and I'm all for tag team wrestling and competitive divisions. Hopefully one day the WWE will realize they need tag team wrestling too.

JohnnyDrama
08-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Alienoid must've felt like a pedophile in a kindergarden class resisting not to mention the Basham's somewhere in a tag team post. ;)

Someone had to say it. Actually I've been reading the forums for a long time as a lurker (and TPWW since it was an angelfire site), and I always find your posts the best to read Alienoid. :y:

A threesome feud between the SS, the Hardyz (z, still?), and MNM would make for some great TV for a long time, as well as giving all of them something good to do. Drawn out, it could culminate in a sick 3-way TLC match at WM23.

I wish I could speak on Smackdown!, but I don't get it here, which kills me because London/Kendrick/Noble/Kash in the ring together is amazing. I'd keep La Resistance apart, mainly because I am dying to see Dupree get another singles chance, even if it is in ECW.

But I wouldn't go as far to compare Cade and Murdoch to the APA just yet. I might go for a team like...the Headbangers. If they were still around, I'm sure they would be dominating Heat too.

Skippord
08-14-2006, 07:52 PM
That was so not a quick post

FourFifty
08-16-2006, 11:49 AM
The Highlanders

I'M ROBBIE!!!

Corporate Gr8 One
08-16-2006, 05:54 PM
I was gonna read this post but my team was disbanded before I finished.

Arnold HamNegger
08-16-2006, 06:37 PM
I really like Regal and Finlay as a Tag Team. :y: