PDA

View Full Version : The New World

BCWWF
08-15-2006, 04:18 AM
I was at Blockbuster the other day and saw this movie both in the new releases and movies for sale. I usually like historical movies and I like Colin Ferrell, but I had never even heard of it. The people at IMDb either loved it or hated it, saying it was a good change from a normal historical drama or else an overly artistic, slow moving look at the story.

Has anybody seen this movie?

ClockShot
08-15-2006, 09:01 AM
I rented it but never got a chance to watch it. I'm not a big Colin Farrell fan, but if I had the time I probably would have watched it.

Pinnacle Charisma
08-15-2006, 10:06 AM
I read a preview on it a few months before. I thought it was going to be a major blockbuster but I cant remember it coming out at all.

El Capitano Gatisto
08-15-2006, 10:33 AM
I thought I'd posted a topic on it here. Obviously not. Below is what I posted elsewhere after watching it.

I watched this just last night. I had it for a while and was sort of putting off watching it because I thought it might be a bit difficult to sit through. The Thin Red Line is the only other Malick film I think I've seen but I was much younger and my dad told me this one was crap.

I knew it would be another film where the narrative is moved along by whispered inner monologues set over dreamy sequences and beautiful scenery. And it is, but I really enjoyed it. It weighs in at around a hefty two and a half hours so I can see why some people might hate it, but for me, if anything, I'd have liked it a bit longer.

The story regards some English settlers arriving on the shores of America, including John Smith (played by Colin Farrell). He encounters a young native girl (Pocahontas, though I don't remember or didn't catch this name actually being mentioned in the film) and falls in love with her. The film then goes through the tribulations of the settlers vs. the natives and the effect on this love affair, moving on to the girl being cast out of her tribe and being adopted by the settlers. Another Englishman falls in love with her, John Rolfe (Christian Bale) but she remains in love with Smith, who has went off on another expedition and instructed the girl be told he is dead so that she won't wait around for him.

That being the general outline of the story. The performances through the whole film, the leading roles and the supporting cast, are all superb and the film looks gorgeous.

It is the "second part" of the film involving Christian Bale and Rolfe's relationship with Pocahontas that I feel could have done with being longer. Maybe an extra half hour or more, because at this point the narrative skips forward quite a bit and confused me somewhat, especially since it is mostly driven by the vague inner monlogues.

Very good indeed. I give it 4 eggs.

G-wrath
08-15-2006, 09:41 PM
I own it, naturally. lol I think it's a very good movie, good acting and a good interpretation of what happend at the time. I liked the fact that it was slow moving and how there was not a lot of dialogue, and most of the story was through actions and movements. Most critics didn't like that about the film. But it was nice because it's kind of easy on the mind. How sad at the end. :'(

Boondock Saint
08-16-2006, 12:08 AM
Loved it.

YOUR Hero
08-16-2006, 10:13 PM
I've not seen it, but I remember seeing the preview and thinking it would be a movie I'd like. I doubt it's anything like 'The Last of the Mohicans', but I seem to think of this movie in the same vein of things.

Boondock Saint
08-16-2006, 11:25 PM
Yeah it's different from that. Less action although Mohicans didn't have a TON of action or anything. Both great directors though. Both beautiful movies.