PDA

View Full Version : What matches will be added to Summerslam?

Jordan
08-16-2006, 05:08 PM
WWE has left out RVD, Angle, Punk, Knox, Dreamer, Undertaker, Test, Sandman, Lashley, Finlay, Regal, Shelton, tag teams blah blah blah....

Right now its a 7 match card -

Orton/Hogan - wont go over 10 minutes
Sabu/Show
Batista/Booker - can't be that long of a match
Edge/Cena
DX/McMahons
Foley/Flair
Rey/Chavo...

Do they expect these matches to fill up 3 hours? Are there any other matches rumored?

Destor
08-16-2006, 05:17 PM
Batista/Booker- could easily go 30 min.

Orton/Hogan- prob. 10-15

Cena/Edge- 20-30

DX-McMahons-20

Foley/Flair-15

Rey/Chavo-15

Kane/Nitro-10

Plus a half hour of promos and commercials through out and about 2 hours and 45 min worth of a show.

Jordan
08-16-2006, 05:22 PM

Orton/Hogan- prob. 10-15

Cena/Edge- 20-30

DX-McMahons-20

Foley/Flair-15

Rey/Chavo-15

Kane/Nitro-10

Plus a half hour of promos and commercials through out and about 2 hours and 45 min worth of a show.

Batista and Booker for 30 minutes? Hah yeah right, WWE learned their lesson with Batista and long matches man. I think that DX/McMahon will probably be the longest on the card, Cena and Edge could be long as well. But what will they do with all the wrestlers they left off... this is the Wrestlemania of the summer what are they thinking?!

Jordan
08-16-2006, 05:24 PM
Also, what match is the main event? I would go with Booker/Batista, but I think they are gonna go with Hogan and Orton like last year.... barf

Destor
08-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Batista/Booker will go longer than you think. The Backlash match and the Hell In a Cell match with Trips both went a while, and I have no doubts that Booker can carry him in the ring or that Batista can maintain the crowd for that period of time.

Destor
08-16-2006, 06:32 PM

Orton/Hogan- prob. 10-15

Cena/Edge- 20-30

DX-McMahons-20

Foley/Flair-15

Rey/Chavo-15

Kane/Nitro-10

Oh yeah, I forgot about Big Show/Sabu. 10 min on that one. Trim Cena/Edge and Batista/Booker down five a peice and there is a 9 match two hour and fourty five minite show right there.

#1-norm-fan
08-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Seems pretty strange that alot of those guys are gonna be left off the card (mainly Lashley, Carlito, and 'Taker) but the show is pretty stacked.

Hogan-Orton will go somewhere around 15 minutes. Keep in mind that just the entrances and the Orton heel-stalling spot that is bound to happen in the begining will take some time.

I have a feeling Booker & Batista won't go much more than about 15 minutes either as I think it will just be a semi-squash to make Batista look good ala Cena-JBL @ WM 21. It just has that feel. I could be wrong though.

I don't really see what other matches could be added judging from the group of guys who are left out. If anything, there will probably be a short 8-man tag added between Duggan, Eugene, Highlanders and The Spirit Squad.

As for the main event, I'm thinking it HAS to be Batista-Booker or, if Cena wins the title back, Cena-Edge. When Hogan & Michaels main evented last year, there was no major face winning a title to really challenged that match. This year, we could potentially have two. SummerSlam CAN'T go off the air with Hogan celebrating a win again.... I hope.

Corkscrewed
08-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Sure it will. :'(

Destor
08-16-2006, 09:02 PM
For my money I'd say Batista winning the title would be the finish of the night.

ClockShot
08-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Unless Hogan spent 6 Million dollars for robotic enhancements, that match will go 15 minutes. But it's probably gonna go 10 minutes and change. That is if Orton falls down when the bell rings, or Hogan's couch is under the ring as a weapon.

As for the main event. I think King Booker and Batista can go a good 30 minutes if they really give it their all.

Innovator
08-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Nah, the finish of the night should be Edge standing over a bloody Cena.....well that or Sabu winning the ECW title

Innovator
08-16-2006, 09:23 PM
so of course Hogan posing will be the last thing of Summerslam

James Steele
08-16-2006, 10:54 PM
I think the Flair/Foley match will go at least 20 minutes. I don't think an I Quit match can end in 15 minutes and it be believable unless they completely rip-off Funk/Flair in 89.

Volare
08-17-2006, 12:12 AM
Shortest match IMO will be the rey//chavo and the longest will be DX//McMahons

addy2hotty
08-17-2006, 08:58 AM
I think we'll see a Punk promo of some sort. Perhaps with someone coming out from Raw and challenging him. Who's that guy who used to be a French sympathiser? Can't remember his name. The Mountie?

Mister Sinister
08-17-2006, 11:56 PM
Rob Conway?

Volare
08-18-2006, 12:22 AM
why would the WWE waste their time with him...just another WWE bitch-jobber

Mr. Nerfect
08-18-2006, 01:05 AM
They've done a pretty shit job of building up Summerslam.

Johnny Nitro vs. Kane for the WWE Intercontinental Championship could very easily be added to the card. I see that being pretty much a squash match, with Kane winning his third IC Title. This would get Johnny Nitro out of the I Quit Match, too, which I think is a good thing (unless they plan of having Kane and Nitro get involved to give Flair and Foley a break, or end the match quickly).

The Spirit Squad could defend the belts in a short match against Eugene and Duggan. This is more likely than people think, because the WWE has been putting Eugene on PPVs because they feel bad they've gotten him stuck with his retard character. Actually, an Eight-Man Tag Team Match with The Highlanders also involved is probably more likely.

They do have Paul London & Brian Kendrick vs. KC James & Idol Stevens on the SmackDown! side, but I doubt they'll put it on the PPV. They could have Jillian Hall and Michelle McCool added to the match, which gives it the "hot factor", which is immediately a plus in the WWE's books, but even then, it is doubtful.

I'm really surprised they haven't annoucned a Triple Threat Match between Finlay, William Regal and Bobby Lashley for the WWE United States Championship. It would not only be a great match, but the guys involved are major players on SmackDown!.

Lita vs. Trish Stratus for the WWE Women's Championship can always be added as well.

I think there are more potential matches off the card than there are on, which is never a good sign. Hogan vs. Orton should not be there. A lot of people are looking forward to it, but I don't think Flair vs. Foley should be on the card, either. But facts are facts, and by using a priority system, and assuming almost every match on the card will be relatively short, here is my prediction for the final Summerslam card:

WWE Championship
Edge vs. John Cena

World Heavyweight Championship
King Booker vs. Batista

ECW World Heavyweight Championship
Big Show vs. Sabu

Legend vs. Legend Killer
Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Orton

"We Think We Draw" Match
DX vs. The McMahons

I Quit Match
Ric Flair vs. Mick Foley

Grudge Match
Rey Mysterio vs. Chavo Guerrero

Triple Threat Match for the WWE United States Championship
Finlay vs. William Regal vs. Bobby Lashley

Eight-Man Tag Team Match
Johnny, Mikey, Nicky & Mitch vs. Eugene, Jim Duggan & The Highlanders

Summerslam could have been an awesome PPV if the WWE knew how to book a solid card with lower-card matches as well as main event matches.

Goulet
08-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Legend vs. Legend Killer
Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Orton

"We Think We Draw" Match
DX vs. The McMahons

I Quit Match
Ric Flair vs. Mick Foley

Eight-Man Tag Team Match
Johnny, Mikey, Nicky & Mitch vs. Eugene, Jim Duggan & The Highlanders

Summerslam could have been an awesome PPV if the WWE knew how to book a solid card with lower-card matches as well as main event matches.

There is a possibility of 3 "retired" people, 1 who should be retired, and Vince McMahon all wrestling on the second biggest PPV of the year... that's pretty amazing... and just think... 10 years ago WWF were putting on the Billionaire Ted skits and making fun of WCW for having old wrestlers

Fox
08-18-2006, 10:41 AM
The first five matches will be over within 45 minutes, leaving the rest to be filled with pointless skits, video packages, promos, and plenty of time for McMahon and his sons to go thirty minutes or more.

loopydate
08-18-2006, 06:49 PM
I really think the main event is going to be DX vs. The McMahons.

Mr. Nerfect
08-18-2006, 07:18 PM
I really think the main event is going to be DX vs. The McMahons.

It really wouldn't surprise me. I think Hogan vs. Orton is more likely to be the main event, though. What, Hogan with his ego and all.

It is in Boston, though, so Edge vs. Cena may get the spot it deserves. They may actually be doing their show favours putting it on earlier if Edge walks out WWE Champion, though.

On the topic of what matches should be added, I really think SmackDown! could use some exposure. RAW has four matches, ECW has one, SmackDown! has two. ECW doesn't need too many matches on the card. Nothing is really build up (Test & Knox vs. Dreamer & Sandman is still kind of brewing/has been done to death). It's kind of the detached brand, as well. Summerslam should be equally as much SmackDown!'s as it is RAW's.

Let's say they add to more matches. If both are SmackDown! matches, it would take the tally up to 4-1-4. Perfect, in my opinion. Here is what I think should be added to the Summerslam card:

Triple Threat Match for the WWE United States Championship
Finlay vs. William Regal vs. Bobby Lashley

-It makes perfect fucking sense. The match was scheduled for The Great American Bash, Regal is owed a title shot, Lashley is owed a title shot, the guys have been fucking main eventing SmackDown!. Let them go at in a cushion match for the main events. You can't open with Mysterio vs. Guerrero or Flair vs. Foley. It makes no sense to start off with a match of that calibur. It decreases its value. JBL needs to do as much commentary on this show as possible, and a Triple Threat for the US Title lets him do that.

Six-Person Intergender Tag Team Match
Paul London, Brian Kendrick & Jillian Hall vs. KC James, Idol Stevens & Michelle McCool

-This could easily just have the males going at it for the WWE Tag Team Championship, but I think it is far too early to have the climax of this feud. London & Kendrick still need the titles, and James & Stevens have not been given enough build and the fans still don't know how to react. This is the perfect choice for an opener. I'd have the match be intergender so that James & Stevens can solidify themselves as heels by beating up a woman. I suppose they can do it if it's mixed, though. This also gets T&A on the PPV, which the WWE loves to do.

I doubt the WWE will put these matches on, though.

SammyG
08-18-2006, 07:38 PM
Hogan posing is ending Summerslam, we all know it.