PDA

View Full Version : I just saw Miracle.

asphyXy
02-08-2004, 03:53 PM
<font color=969696>As a tribute to Herb Brooks, it works. As a movie, it doesn't. The acting was pretty bad. If you know what happened in the 1980 Olympics, it's not too bad. The events are pretty accurate. I couldn't imagine how someone who knows nothing about the '80 Olympics would feel though. They'd probably think it sucks.</font>

Funky Fly
02-08-2004, 03:59 PM
Well, when I saw the trailer while watching Last Samourai, I was thinking "Mighty Ducks 2004". Even though it's based on actual events, it's gonna end up being played on theDisney Channel every week in a few years.

YOUR Hero
02-08-2004, 09:32 PM
That movie was supposed to be filmed in Prince George, they held the crowd auditions and everything. They came in, talked a big talk, said they were going to generate 3 million bucks into our local economy, and then they pulled out, went to Vancouver. I'll be dammed if I'm going to spend a dime on that show. I hate the "USA RARARA" theme of it to begin with.

samichna
02-08-2004, 09:54 PM
LOL yeah "THE GREATEST MOMENT IN HOCKEY HISTORY" or whatever.

Yeah right.

This is not even me being biased because I am Canadian, but the implications of the 1972 Canada-Soviet Union series were way more important. It wasn't just the hockey powerhouse versus the newcomer Russians. It was Capitalism versus Communism etc etc.

**** the miracle on ice.

asphyXy
02-08-2004, 09:58 PM
<font color=969696>Herb Brooks was an outstanding coach, though. It's a good tribute to him.</font>

John la Rock
02-08-2004, 11:40 PM
LOL yeah "THE GREATEST MOMENT IN HOCKEY HISTORY" or whatever.

Yeah right.

This is not even me being biased because I am Canadian, but the implications of the 1972 Canada-Soviet Union series were way more important. It wasn't just the hockey powerhouse versus the newcomer Russians. It was Capitalism versus Communism etc etc.

**** the miracle on ice.

I am Canadian and I agree

Vega
02-09-2004, 04:00 AM
what happened in the 1980 olympics?

Mikey
02-09-2004, 05:55 AM
what happened in the 1980 olympics?

When the U.S upset the Russians (after getting our asses handed to us in an exibition game or something) and went on to win the Gold medal in Hockey. With a bunch of amatuer players. If I missed anything or made a mistake I m sorry

The CyNick
02-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Haven't seen the movie, but knowing Americans as I do, I'm sure the movie went something like this:

The other Olympic teams were made up of professional players who were at the top of their game, and among the elite. Those teams, particularily the Soviets were run by a large individual who busted his players day in and day out with tough drills and running in luxurious conditions. Also, they had the best facilities, and used illegal eqiupment such as sticks that allowed the puck to be shot out like a cannon, or skates with rockets attached to them, and Goalie equipment that was twice regulation size. However, because the Olympics were corrupt, the Soviets were allowed to use the questionable equipment.

On the American side, Herb Brooks was trying to get the big corporate exces and the US Athletic Commission to give money to develop a hockey program. The execs with their Southern drawl all said "We dont play that funny ice game here in-Merica, why dont you go back to Canada boy". However, Herb was a fighter, so with no money he devised a game plan. He went into the deep forest and cut down a large tree, and carved out 12 crude hockey sticks, and set up a rustic ice rink in the middle of a nearby lake. He then went to a local steel mill and got 12 guys to play hockey. This was all 10 days before the first game of the Olympic tourny.

A few scenes of comic relief are shown, with the players learning how to skate on a frozen river and shoot the puck, which was actually a frozen piece of a tire that Herb cut out. With only 2 days to go the players have some serious issues, and still dont have unifroms or the ability to stop without falling over.

Fast forward to the day before the Olympics, and a local church group has got together and sewn together uniforms for the team to wear with money they raised at a bake sale at the church. But bad news hits the team, it seems their star player was having a drink at the local pub when the Soviet team ganged up on him (the guys on the Sioviet team were all 6'6 280lbs) and tore all the ligaments in his shoulder, the doctor diagnosis is that the star player will never play hockey ever again.

Olypics start, and somehow this rag tag bunch of misfits use their heart and win the game 2-1. The tourny continues, and the team gets better. On the eve of the semi final against the Soviets an evil Russian scientist is shown delivering steroids to the Soviet team in order to give them the edge. Then , the Dictator (nobody said this would be historically accurate) of the USSR phones the coach and tells him the Soviets better win Gold and they better beat the US or else he willm face dire consequences. The Soviet coach whispers something to the evil Soviet Scientist, and they laugh an evil laugh. Next scene we see the scientist opening a container of some liquid, which he pours into the US team's soup.

Now its game time, US vs USSR, and oh no, it appears the US team has fallen ill, everyone is in the bathroom, and those who are not are unable to stand (damn evil scientist). The team is asked if they want to forfeit, but Brooks says "No, we're Americans we never quit". The Olympic official snickers and walks off. The US team somehow makes it to the bench, but they are talking a beating against the physical play of the Soviets. They are also handicapped by the suspect officiating. By the 2nd intermission the team seems out of it, and they can barely make it out for the third. However, during the 3rd out comes the star player, who cant raise his right arm, but dammit he's going to play. He scores the game winning goal, and the US are victorious.

Clips are then shown of the US getting their Gold Medals, and the Soviets acting all upset because of their Silver medals (again it doesn't have to be accurate).

------------

In fairness, I am a huge fan of Herb Brooks and what he did for hockey in America, I just hope this movie isn't a typical US propoganda machine that distorts facts in exchange for telling a Hollywood story.

Yashamaga
02-09-2004, 03:07 PM
haha wtf I ain't reading all that

The Icon of Elisim
02-09-2004, 03:10 PM
You forgot the part at the end when Herb Brooks is standing in the middle of the ice drapped in the American flag yelling at the crowd, "I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I can change, and you can change, everybody can change."

Yashamaga
02-09-2004, 03:13 PM
don't mess with rocky, bitch

Funky Fly
02-09-2004, 03:13 PM
haha wtf I ain't reading all that

You should.

LMAO!

Yashamaga
02-09-2004, 03:16 PM
yeah the first few paragraphs were funny, about the tree and the stick and stuff.

No attention span, however.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-10-2004, 03:28 PM
MOTHER****ERS ARE JEALOUS OF OUR SHIT hahah

BCWWF
02-14-2004, 01:45 AM
I thought the movie was very well made and was very very accurate. For some reason it just failed to grip me in, but overall I liked the movie a lot.

I don't get what all of you Canadian fans have against this. The USA wins a big hockey match and its a huge upset, don't try to deny that. If you wan't to make a movie about the 1972 Olimpics or whatever you are talking about go ahead and do that, but don't try to take away our last great moment in hockey just because you have a stereotypical view of Americans. Maybe the Canadian-USSR game had bigger implications, was a bigger upset, or was a better game, but it means nothing now, whereas this game still means a lot to a lot of people. You aren't hockey god's because you live in Canada, get over it.

Vega
02-14-2004, 02:05 AM
lol cynick

Arashi Kage
02-14-2004, 02:09 AM
1987 Canada Cup

Best hockey ever played between the two greatest nations in Hockey.

Also, CyNick's would be movie synopsis is entertaining.

Finally, there will never be a full length, theatrical release movie made on any Canada-Soviet matchups, because, it wouldn't sell well outside of Canada and perhaps parts of Europe.

Honestly, you cannot tell me that the "Miracle" of 1980 is really that significant to any American outside of Minnesota?? Perhaps I'm incorrect??

Personally, am I jelious of "Brooks rag-tag posse of two-bit nobodies" (no offense, but perhaps a fair description of the team) defeating the mighty Soviets? No. However, as a fan of Soviet hockey, I am dissapointed at that moment in Soviet hockey history. Actually, I could really care less about the whole thing.

I do wanna see the movie. I read that it is "the best hockey movie". However, perhaps it is not as good as the review I read lead me to believe. Hard part is, my friends don't want to see it because they are allowing their anti-USA feelings to overpower their hockey fan 'spirit'.

CosaNostra
02-14-2004, 02:34 AM
............but don't try to take away our last great moment in hockey just because you have a stereotypical view of Americans. Maybe the Canadian-USSR game had bigger implications, was a bigger upset, or was a better game, but it means nothing now, whereas this game still means a lot to a lot of people. You aren't hockey god's because you live in Canada, get over it.

First of all, the sterotypical attitudes of for the USA swings both ways. For example: USA=forces of good and Everyone Else=evil. In other words, typical USA Rah Rah propaganda. Ever see U-571? Or more to the point, The Mighty Ducks? Oh yes. The USA VS the All Mighty Team From Iceland ( :wtf: ) with nary a word about Canada and their "weak" team :roll:.

If "the Canadian-USSR game had bigger implications, was a bigger upset, or was a better game" of hockey, how come hardly anyone in the USA could get the feed for that game when it was everywhere in all the other hockey nations? Because poor old USA, in their own little shell, could care less when they weren't involved. Remember the pain and anguish when the '92 and '93 Baseball World Series was won buy a Non-American team? Oh the horror. :roll:

Look, no one is denying you your hockey moment under the sun. It was impressive, I will grant you. But to say Canada/USSR "means nothing now" when its Canada's victory and "this game still means a lot to a lot of people" when its USA's victory (especially when there are only 8 years difference between our 1972 Summit Series and your 1980 Olympics) just demonstrates the inconsistency of your argument.

Well, thats my rant for the day....... :p :rant:

YOUR Hero
02-14-2004, 10:18 AM
The '72 series means nothing now? :wtf: :lol: LOL

I get it, you're playing the stereotypical ignorant American. :y:

Lara Emily
02-14-2004, 11:50 AM

It sure seems that way.

Kane Knight
02-14-2004, 12:18 PM
Well, when I saw the trailer while watching Last Samourai, I was thinking "Mighty Ducks 2004". Even though it's based on actual events, it's gonna end up being played on theDisney Channel every week in a few years.

Yeah, it's basically the same story as one of the Mighty Ducks movies, too.

I know this one's based on real events, but still, all I could think of was TMD...

CosaNostra
02-14-2004, 01:00 PM

I know.......its like :wtf: X50

BCWWF
02-15-2004, 12:53 AM
Basically whats going on here is a bunch of Canadians saying that they don't give a **** about this game, but getting emo because the Americans don't give a **** about their game.

CosaNostra
02-15-2004, 08:58 AM
Basically whats going on here is a bunch of Canadians saying that they don't give a **** about this game, but getting emo because the Americans don't give a **** about their game.

Yeah........whatever. :roll:

Kinda like when the Toronto Blue Jays won the World Series in '92 and '93.

But, of course, thats DIFFERENT..........

Innovator
02-15-2004, 02:17 PM
A girl in my dorm, after seeing miracle, "It was so great that they had America win in the end"

.... :nono:

Yashamaga
02-15-2004, 02:31 PM
A girl in my dorm, after seeing miracle, "It was so great that they had America win in the end"

.... :nono:

lol

BCWWF
02-15-2004, 08:01 PM

I have no idea what you are trying to refer to. The Twins won the World Series in 1991, if thats what youre getting at :wtf:

Basically you are telling me that I shouldn't like this movie because it glorifies America. Well so what, this is one of the times when it actually was a huge feat, and nothing you can say will take away the "miracle" per se.

I don't know how Canada was even brought into this, because this movie was clearly not made to the Canadian audience, considering I don't remember the word Canada once in the movie. This movie was made for the people in Minnesota, Michigan, Maine, New York, Massachusits, Conneticuit, etc etc who were affected by this whole thing.

Here are some facts. Team USA was made up of college players. CCCP was the best team in the world, on a long undefeated streak and with some of the best players in the world. That one night, Team USA won the game. It was a giant upset and it was an emotional game for more than just hockey reasons.

The way some of you Canadians talk is just funny. Trying to act like you are the gods of hockey and hockey knowledge. You have no idea the impact Herb Brooks has/had on Minnesota. His tragic death was one of the biggest news stories of the year here, and they continue to talk about it. He was a legendary coach and a great man, in the end it turned out this movie was a tribute to him. Minnesota is dubbed "The State of Hockey." Ever since we got a profesisonal team back, we have sold out the Xcel Energy Center for every game. Numerous players have called the Minnesota fans the best in the league. You may live in Canada, which produces better players, but to tell me that fans in Minnesota and the other states I listed are not passionate and educated is a joke. I got invited to a Wild promotion for high school journalists where we interviewed Wild D-Man Brad Brown, and he called Wild fans some of the smartest in the league. But how about those teams in Ottawa and Edmonton, great hockey fans there eh?

So tell me what the reason is why I shouldn't like this movie, cause I would really like to know.

YOUR Hero
02-15-2004, 08:19 PM
I can only speak in relation to myself BCWWF, but you've missed the point totally.

road doggy dogg
02-15-2004, 08:19 PM
You're making a big deal out of nothing. Nobody said the movie sucked. Simply that the Summit Series had a bigger impact internationally than when the US won, that's it. They never said that US winning wasn't important, or that Canada winning was important in the US.

Supreme Olajuwon
02-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Hey if someone wants to make a movie about the Summit Series then go ahead

CosaNostra
02-15-2004, 09:29 PM
I can only speak in relation to myself BCWWF, but you've missed the point totally.

CosaNostra
02-15-2004, 09:50 PM
BCWWF,

The point is that when the Blue Jays won the World Series, lots of Americans were like "Canada, what business do they have with baseball, etc" and were all bitter because YOUR World Series was won by a Canadian Team. Now a few Canadians on this board who couldn't care about Miracle one way or the other and this is somehow DIFFERENT.

Again, no one is denying the feat, and it WAS damn impressive and its probably a good movie! But the whole Hollywood Rah Rah Americah schtik gets a little old and annoying.

See, many, many people in Canada actually took in an interest in the 1980 Game between USA and CCCP. But not one person I knew in the USA at the time could even get reception for the 1972 Summit Series between Canada and USSR. Which brings me back again to my point about the Blue Jays in '92 and '93. As long as its about USA, great. The minute the focus is not on you, "meh, who cares".

"The way some of you Canadians talk is just funny. Trying to act like you are the gods of hockey and hockey knowledge".

Really? Well, the way some of you Americans talk is just funny. Trying to act like you are the gods of baseball and baseball knowledge. Hmmm........sound familiar?

No one here is saying you shouldn't like this movie. Hell, I haven't seen it yet and I may like it too. However, I take any movie made in Hollywood pushing the USA and the "we are-number-1 always" propaganda with a grain of salt.

BCWWF
02-16-2004, 01:59 AM
I'm sorry, I agree with you that so often Hollywood does make the USA look like a god, especially in war movies and stuff, but just in my opinion, this was one time that the USA actually was #1, and even if it only mattered to the hockey states, that includes me and I care.

I'm sorry if I upset anybody, I got a bit sidetracked.

CosaNostra
02-16-2004, 09:09 PM
I'm sorry, I agree with you that so often Hollywood does make the USA look like a god, especially in war movies and stuff, but just in my opinion, this was one time that the USA actually was #1, and even if it only mattered to the hockey states, that includes me and I care.

I'm sorry if I upset anybody, I got a bit sidetracked.

Hey, no dispute about the quality of that game; they definetly earned that win! :y:

On a side note, I believe that when the USA played the Russians a few years back in a multinational series (I forget which one; the World Cup or something) in Canada, many Canadian fans were booing the Americans. I thought "what the fu</>ck is this, we're booing our allies and cheering a communist country?" I'm glad Don Cherry apologized for that. That was disgraceful.

Anyway, I'm still planning to see Miracle. It IS about hockey after all! :cool:

The Outlaw
02-16-2004, 09:37 PM
LOL

The Outlaw
02-16-2004, 09:41 PM

If that was the same year I'm thinking of, I hate you right now. :(

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-17-2004, 02:19 AM
Hey if someone wants to make a movie about the Summit Series then go ahead
LOL

I dont get why Canada was brought up in this whole topic either, but shit I guess I'm just an "ignorant American"

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-17-2004, 03:47 PM
I just watched something about it on HBO Sports

Pretty interesting stuff, talked about how the American economy and everything was doing shitty...a few Americans were captured and taken hostage in the Middle east and everything, I wasn't alive when this all went down but it seemed like a huge upset that gave American people something to be happy about.

Lots of Beantown guys reppin for the USA in this too, good shit. Even a few of the Russian players called what happened a Miracle haha...I haven't seen the movie Miracle yet, but I am going to after watching this documentary on the team. If the movie is anything like how this thing on HBO was I really don't know what you guys are crying about.

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-17-2004, 06:07 PM
I dunno, American's can be pretty stupid at times. Well at least SOME Americans.