PDA

View Full Version : ECW crowd reactions to WWE wrestlers

Ben Rodrigues
08-20-2006, 08:28 AM
With the recent showing of Batista and Big Show in the Hammerstein Ballroom - and the crowd letting them know that they don't value either, just wondering who do you think would be accepted by the ECW crowd?

Angle went over and was accepted. I get the feeling Shawn Michaels may be accepted and maybe also The Undertaker. Can't think of anymore "WWE" guys though.

Jaton
08-20-2006, 08:38 AM
I don't think Taker would be received too well. There aren't many WWE guys the ECW fans would really cheer for.

Londoner
08-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Yeah I was just going to say that Jaton. I think Shelton Benjamin might be respected by ECW fans as he's similar to Angle.

Chavo Classic
08-20-2006, 09:47 AM
ECW fans are just like any other wrestling fan, i.e. they're fickle. A year ago Kurt Angle was playing a massive heel at ONS1 and got a terrible reaction. At ONS2 the ECW fans were effectively informed they must like Angle and he's suddenly over.

I think most superstars could get over with the ECW crowd if pushed properly. Yes, Angle has the advantage of being a great talent and legitimate tough guy which have facilitated the transformation with the ECW faithful, but it boils down to the fact you can market a face in ECW just like you can anywhere else.

ron the dial
08-20-2006, 10:17 AM
ECW fans are just like any other wrestling fan, i.e. they're fickle. A year ago Kurt Angle was playing a massive heel at ONS1 and got a terrible reaction. At ONS2 the ECW fans were effectively informed they must like Angle and he's suddenly over.
I don't think that this particular instance has anything to do with the fans being fickle. At ONS1 Angle was playing the role of heel, so obviously the crowd is going to give him a negative reaction. That's what your supposed to do when a guy puts down the promotion that you're there to see. At ONS2 Angle had become a part of the ECW roster. He's a tremendous talent that, as long as he isn't playing the heel, an ECW crowd would get behind whether they were told to cheer for him or not.

Xero
08-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Yeah. If they're bashing ECW, they're going to get a horrible reaction.

Angle, though, is a Smark's wet dream.

Chavo Classic
08-20-2006, 10:34 AM
I don't think that this particular instance has anything to do with the fans being fickle. At ONS1 Angle was playing the role of heel, so obviously the crowd is going to give him a negative reaction. That's what your supposed to do when a guy puts down the promotion that you're there to see. At ONS2 Angle had become a part of the ECW roster. He's a tremendous talent that, as long as he isn't playing the heel, an ECW crowd would get behind whether they were told to cheer for him or not.

Exactly. They could turn any WWE superstar into a ECW favourite by having him spout a few pro-ECW promos and possibly beat on a couple of WWE regulars. Angle is the greatest example of this.

There's possibly only a few exceptions who this rule wouldn't work for, and that'd mostly be as a consequence of having long running WWE ties such as HHH or Undertaker. IMO there's no amount of pro-ECW promos HHH could give that would turn him into a legitimate face.

ron the dial
08-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Angle didn't get over with the fans because he cut pro-ECW promos. He got over because he's legitimate in the ring. ECW fans seemed to mark for two types of wrestlers: hardcore and technical. Angle is the epitome of a technical wrestler, and I don't need to list his credentials to prove that point. Guys like HHH, Undertaker, Batista, etc. just don't fit into the molds that ECW fans want for the product.

Also, I'd consider Angle to have long running WWE ties. Seven years at the top of the business, more or less, is a long enough that he is definitely established WWE talent.

Chavo Classic
08-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Angle didn't get over with the fans because he cut pro-ECW promos.

But on the other hand, he became a huge heel by cutting anti-ECW promos before ONS1. Its pretty much the same point.

I agree that ECW fans prefer the more gifted wrestler. But if they unconditionally respected atheletism and creativity then there's no way Angle should have been boo'd, regardless of how much he slagged off the brand.

Also, I'd consider Angle to have long running WWE ties. Seven years at the top of the business, more or less, is a long enough that he is definitely established WWE talent

I was referring to the connections both HHH and UT in the running of WWE. There's a difference from being a long-serving and loyal employee and a locker-room leader/brown-nosing the boss and wedding his daughter.

Pinnacle Charisma
08-20-2006, 10:53 AM
Most "ECW fans" now are internet smarks who have crossed over to ECW because they are sick of wwe's current products and the image of ECW (the old one ) represents everything the wwe is not. There are not much ecw fans today that where the same hardcore ecw fans around a decade ago or whenever ECW hit its stride.

So yeah whatever smarks like or hate is who the ECW fans will boo or cheer in the case of wwe wrestlers. So yeah the likes of ut, hogan, and hhh they most likily get booed.

And in the case of Angle. He was badmouthing ECW for weeks before ONS so of course the ECW fans would going to boo him and fans where pissed because of all the smackdown/raw interference. Lets just say if he come onto the ons ppv with no build I think he would have got cheered. And plus remember his prevous history with ECW

The MAC
08-20-2006, 10:54 AM
it doesnt take much to get over with ECW fans..remember how hated edge was in his match..then when he speared Cena the crowd goes "thank you edge"...

fans are the same be it wcw, wwe, tna, FRNWF (Fags rollin' n wrestling federation)

ron the dial
08-20-2006, 10:55 AM
Just because you respect a guy's in ring ability doesn't mean that he can't get heat.

And I'll concede to your point about backstage connections. Obviously none of those guys are going to get over with an ECW crowd.

Chavo Classic
08-20-2006, 10:56 AM
And plus remember his prevous history with ECW

What? Walking out in disgust after the Raven crucifixion. :shifty:

Chavo Classic
08-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Just because you respect a guy's in ring ability doesn't mean that he can't get heat.

Some of the greatest here in the business are typically the most talented. Talent in a heel is the difference between X-Pac heat and DiBiase heat.

But no, you don't have to be talented to be a contemporary heel, circa Edge.

Xero
08-20-2006, 11:00 AM
On the point of heat, look at Heyman. He was the biggest thing since the wheel at ONS1. Now, when they returned for the ECW taping, he was hit with "You Sold Out" chants.

Surely the fans didn't MEAN that, they were just booing because he was heel. ECW did have heels that the fans liked you know.

ron the dial
08-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Some of the greatest here in the business are typically the most talented. Talent in a heel is the difference between X-Pac heat and DiBiase heat.

But no, you don't have to be talented to be a contemporary heel, circa Edge.
So then we're in complete agreeance. What I was saying was that Angle has talent, and can obviously play a great heel.

Chavo Classic
08-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Weapon X you are my new favourite newbie poster.

ron the dial
08-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Weapon X you are my new favourite newbie poster.
Hey-o! At least I've won somebody in this tough crowd over.

Chavo Classic
08-20-2006, 11:16 AM
You've got some good points and you argue them well. I'm awarding you my tri-monthly best new poster award.

Pinnacle Charisma
08-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Most "ECW fans" now are internet smarks who have crossed over to ECW because they are sick of wwe's current products and the image of ECW (the old one ) represents everything the wwe is not. There are not much ecw fans today that where the same hardcore ecw fans around a decade ago or whenever ECW hit its stride.

So yeah whatever smarks like or hate is who the ECW fans will boo or cheer in the case of wwe wrestlers. So yeah the likes of ut, hogan, and hhh they most likily get booed.

And in the case of Angle. He was badmouthing ECW for weeks before ONS so of course the ECW fans would going to boo him and fans where pissed because of all the smackdown/raw interference. Lets just say if he come onto the ons ppv with no build I think he would have got cheered. And plus remember his prevous history with ECW

Pepsi Man
08-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Sorry, but I'm with Chavo here. Done right, anyone COULD be pushed as faces in ECW. It's just not as simple as pushing faces to regular WWE marks.

What Would Kevin Do?
08-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Anyone COULD get over with the ECW crowd, but that anyone would have to have a little thing called talent. People like The BIg Show, UT, HHH, COULD get over with the ECW crowd. If Big Show started changing his style, did more, maybe busted out that famed moonsault people claimed he could do, he could get over.

UMAGA, if the gimmick was scrapped, could be huge in ECW. He could be the next Bam Bam.

Anyway, no amount of pushing is going to make someone over with the true ECW crowd. It comes down to how well they're willing to perform in the ring. If someone like RVD went out and started fighting like Austin (post neck problems) , he'd be booed. It's just a matter of style.

Kane Knight
08-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Exactly. They could turn any WWE superstar into a ECW favourite by having him spout a few pro-ECW promos and possibly beat on a couple of WWE regulars. Angle is the greatest example of this.

Wow, you really have paid no attention to the real world, have you?

Chavo Classic
08-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Wow, you really have paid no attention to the real world, have you?

meaning...?

Kane Knight
08-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Occam's Razor. If what you said was true, would not the Big Show have been over? Was he? Pre-or post- "heel turn?"

Your statement is blatantly false, and appears to be nothing more than someone idiotically trying to bash smarks and maintain that they are fickle. Which would be great, if your argument didn't fall apart under any scrutiny.

Rammsteinmad
08-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Chris Benoit.

Innovator
08-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Angle was/is accepted in ECW because he's Kurt fucking Angle. He can work mostly anyone (sans Henry), he can talk, and he's a legit badass. If Angle went to ECW back in the day, he would have been accepted with open arms.

Chavo, look at Big Show. He has been booked almost perfectly since jumping to ECW. He went to the Hammerstein...and got shit on.

The Naitch
08-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Hogan

Rammsteinmad
08-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Hogan going to an ECW show at an ECW venue would be the best thing since Cena winning the title.

#1-norm-fan
08-20-2006, 05:01 PM
I'd like to see HBK go to a show at the Hammerstein Ballroom. That would be an interesting reaction. I'm thinking he might actually get a good reaction if he were to go in, not hyped as an anti-ECW guy or anything and just had a match against RVD or something.

Kane Knight
08-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Chavo, look at Big Show. He has been booked almost perfectly since jumping to ECW. He went to the Hammerstein...and got shit on.

And it may have been the first time we've seen legit X-Pac heat in a main event match.

I mean, at least when it was RVD/Cena, they just wanted him to die...

Fox
08-20-2006, 07:23 PM
I gotta agree with Weapon X here; they cheered Angle because of what he's done in the wrestling business (while in the WWE), not because he "joined ECW." He's a legit wrestler and they're smart enough to know how special that is and that they ought to appreciate it.

On the same thread, I really think if Brock Lesnar suddenly walked into the Hammerstein at the next ECW show and killed Sandman or something he would still get a huge reaction. This is because he's a great wrestler who most "smarks" have respect for.

Matt Hardy would go over HUGE in an ECW environment; Jeff maybe not so much.

HBK might get a solid reaction during his match, but as soon as "Sexy boy" hit, I really think the ECW faithfuls would shit all over him. He'd have to bust out some big stuff for them to get into him, because they would definitely boo the hell out of him "stepping up" for Sweet Chin Music.

Hogan, on the other hand, would probably be revered.

Innovator
08-20-2006, 11:52 PM
You put Hogan in front of the Hammerstein Crowd, he will not get cheered. You'd find a better chance of him actually jobbing than him being cheered. Hogan stands for everything that ECW stood against, and he embodies "sports entertainment". He would get Cena'd worse than Cena.

Batsu
08-20-2006, 11:54 PM
Undertaker MIGHT. But not as the character he is now in WWE.
As the "American Badass", or that mid-point he was when he first came back? If he cuts down the "poseur" trash-talk and just whoops ass and makes people tap? He might.

But... it depends.

Ben Rodrigues
08-21-2006, 12:39 AM
I really think The Undertaker would get a positive reaction. He's been around for so long - and ECW fans are for the most part old school. He'd get cheered out of respect for his legacy more then anything. Don't know how well his entrance would go over though.

Pinnacle Charisma
08-21-2006, 02:26 AM
I really think The Undertaker would get a positive reaction. He's been around for so long - and ECW fans are for the most part old school. He'd get cheered out of respect for his legacy more then anything. Don't know how well his entrance would go over though.

Lol i would love to see UT's entrance at the ballroom

Mr. Nerfect
08-21-2006, 02:42 AM
Anyone with talent will get over in ECW if they spat in the face of the WWE. From Sean Morley to Gregory Helms to Paul London.

KingofOldSchool
08-21-2006, 09:18 AM
I want see Kevin Nash in ECW.

Kane Knight
08-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Lol i would love to see UT's entrance at the ballroom

Styles: Well, I know we were busy mocking undead gimmicks a few weeks ago, but the Deadman is really what ECW is all about.