PDA

View Full Version : When was the Post-Kayfabe WWF at it's Best?

The Cerebral Assassin
02-08-2004, 09:43 PM
This basically covers anything from 1984 to the present.

Between that time when was the WWF at it's absolute best? And why?

The CyNick
02-08-2004, 11:03 PM
I look at the year from the day after Wrestlemania 2000 to Wrestlemania X-7 as the best 365 days the WWE ever had.

In that time they had their biggest show in terms of revenues, they had an average of about 10,000 people for each show they ran, they had an awesome run of great PPV in terms of buys and quality, they survived a year without SCSA and then told a great story upon his return, and they bought out their competition. Now, that last one ended up being a bad thing, but from a purely business standpoint, buying out your competition is an awesome deal.

Head
02-08-2004, 11:37 PM
I personally liked the WWE the best from around 88-91, and 97-98.

The fall of 1998 really stands out as a time where every single show the WWE put on was entertaining from top to bottom.

Loose Cannon
02-08-2004, 11:42 PM
Well for me personally, there are two era's I thought were the best. And this is not just based on business standpoint like Cynick was saying, but my own personel feelings.

First was from WM 5-WM6: I actually just watched those two mania's this week and I thought to myself that the World Title really really meant something back then. Not to say that it doesn't mean anything today, but I don't know, back then it felt like a whole lot more. I mean the feud with Savage and Hogan was just golden and the buildup was excellently done. There match at Mania was a great story match and the fans ate it up. At this time Warrior and Rude were having an excellent feud with the I.C. title switching back and forth between them. The tag division was HOT as ever with Demolition, Harts, Powers of Pain, Collusual Connection, Brianbusters, Rockers and more all in the tag scene. Demolition and Powers of Pain feud was another great one. Then you had Jake Roberts and his feuds with Ted Dibiase and Andre. And of course by the time WM 6 rolled around, you had the Hogan-Warrior matchup, which again just made the title seem more special. You know, I guess it was because wrestlers held there titles for a decent amount of time and the only times they ever really lost them were on one of the four PPV throughout the year.

Next is Mar 97-Nov 97 era which I will ALWAYS see as my favorite era because of The Hart Foundation. I was really into that stable as it had my two favorite wrestlers of all-time in it. Bret, Owen, and Bulldogg put on some great matches with Mankind, Ausitn, Taker and Michaels during that error. And then you had what I like to call the "Official Spokesperson" of the Foundatio, The Loose Cannon himself, Brian Pillman. Pillman was just golden during this era on the mic and when he just attacked anyone in his path. His short feud with Austin and his feud with Goldust were great. Then you had the three team stable war between The Harts, DX, and the Nation mixed in which made for some interesting TV. Combine that with Austin stunning everybody and it was just golden. One of my favorite segments of all-time to showcase this was when Michaels took on Owen on Raw. Austin comes through the crowd and stuns the ref, then stuns Owen. So Michaels is all alone in the ring with no ref. Then the cameras pan to the back and you see Bret making a break for the ring. Now Bret had been assulted by the Nation and DX for like the past three weeks and never got revenge. So Bret comes flying into the ring and beats the sh** out of Micheals. This brings DX down and they attack Bret. This brings the Hart Foundation down and all hell breaks loose. Just great TV.

Splaya
02-08-2004, 11:44 PM
The years that we had DX (I'm talking to the HHH X-pac NAO, and Chyna years). That stable was the shit hands down and all me and my friends would talk about in school is on Monday's: What was DX going to do tonight to shock us?

John la Rock
02-08-2004, 11:55 PM
I hate to say it but the glory days started after the Montreal Screwjob. The Austin/Vince storyline was getting really hot, DX was reaking havoc all over the place, The Rock started started to establish as major player, and the Undertaker/Kane story line was one of the best storylines ever.

So id say from Survivor Series 1997 till Wrestlemania X-Seven

Mikey
02-09-2004, 06:02 AM
The beginning of the Attitude era

Hired Hitman
02-09-2004, 06:07 AM
97-98

DX, Stone Cold law breaker, heaps of fresh gimmicks.

Mainly DX and their skits :D and stone cold doing shit to vince's things i.e. cement in corvette

Rock Bottom
02-09-2004, 09:28 AM
I hate to say it but the glory days started after the Montreal Screwjob. The Austin/Vince storyline was getting really hot, DX was reaking havoc all over the place, The Rock started started to establish as major player, and the Undertaker/Kane story line was one of the best storylines ever.

So id say from Survivor Series 1997 till Wrestlemania X-Seven

:yes:

But it makes me think sad thoughts about Bret. :(

123 kid
02-09-2004, 11:36 AM
The attitude era late 1997- mid 1999 when dx were on top of the world Austin n Mchmahon feud taker evil. But I think these next few years could be really good as of Orton Cena Benoits push... and I believe the attitude era is on its way back......

xGuiltyFatex
02-10-2004, 07:22 AM
Kayfabe??

Corkscrewed
02-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Kayfabe: the preservation of the image that everything that occurs in pro wrestling is real and the insistence that all characters and gimmicks are reflections of real life

Basically, it refers to the illusion that everything's real, back when WWE was all gimmicky and stuff instead of more realistic like it is now.