PDA

View Full Version : An Article about Kurt Angle you need to read.

What Would Kevin Do?
09-01-2006, 02:31 AM
Yeah, I know there are a lot of Kurt threads right now, but I read this entry from Ivan Tembow's MMA blog, and I knew I had to post this. The link to the article is http://www.ivansblog.com/2006/08/pro-wrestling-kurt-angle-fired-by.html .

Seriously, read this article. When I read this, I felt sort of numb. It really puts how bad Kurt's situation is into perspective.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Pro Wrestling--- Kurt Angle Fired by World Wrestling Entertainment
The Wrestling Observer and Pro Wrestling Torch are reporting that Kurt Angle has been fired by World Wrestling Entertainment. While this is a grave sign of what WWE thinks about Angle's current condition, this development may also bring forth the only chance that we're not going to wake up one day soon and see the headline, "Kurt Angle Found Dead," because that's what is going to happen if he doesn't get the help that he needs.

According to the Observer, Angle failed a drug test earlier this year due to large amounts of prescription pain medication being found in his system, and he served a 30-day suspension for the drug test failure.

According to the Torch and Observer, Angle recently suffered a torn groin muscle in addition to all of his other injuries, which include a broken neck and herniated discs in his back.

It got to the point that due to liability reasons, WWE management did not let him go out and wrestle at a recent TV taping even though he wanted to wrestle despite his condition. WWE management has had a reputation for decades of encouraging wrestlers to work through injuries, and it's unheard of for WWE to say to a wrestler who wants to wrestle, "No, you can't."

For WWE to have now flat-out fired Angle from his multi-year WWE contract, his condition must now be such that he's considered a very high risk for WWE to keep under contract. There have been many, many cases over the years of a former WWE wrestler dying and WWE's public statement to the media essentially being, "Well, he wasn't under contract with us when he died."

A few weeks ago, before Angle suffered his latest injuries, the Torch reported, "[Angle] is known to be reliant on pain pills to get through his matches, and it has been a concern for years that he may have built his tolerance up to dangerous levels. Angle has a well-established determination to work through pain and injuries, and a desire to please Vince McMahon and hide any pain he may be experiencing."

In late 2005 after the untimely death of Eddie Guerrero, just as Angle's physical problems reached a point that it was regarded as a life-or-death situation for him, the Pro Wrestling Torch reported than an unnamed wrestler was on an unofficial "death watch" among his colleagues. That wrestler was widely believed to be Angle, but the Torch insisted on pussyfooting around the issue instead of saying whatever they wanted to say (click here (http://www.ivansblog.com/2006/01/pro-wrestling-i-am-huge-fan-of-pro.html) for my previous editorial on the Torch's coverage).

The Torch's Wade Keller would later write, "[Angle] may push himself so hard without a break that any chance of another entrance into the ring is extinguished. With a neck, back, and overall body as broken down as anyone in the industry today, any match could be his final."

The Torch's Jason Powell was a little bit more direct in saying, "As much as I admire Kurt's work ethic and desire to be the best in the business, I wouldn't put someone in his physical condition in the ring."

Angle himself has made no secret of the fact that he works through career- and life-threatening injuries on a daily basis. Angle said in an interview with the Chicago Sun-Times in early 2006, "I get a lot of self-satisfaction from going out there and performing in front of the fans. Throughout my career, I never told people about my neck problems until one day I couldn't even lift my arm anymore, and that's when the cat was out of the bag. I've had re-occurring neck injuries. I actually have one right now. I have a broken neck, levels C7 and T1, but I continue to wrestle, because I love it, because of the fans. Is it worth my health? No, but I'm addicted to wrestling. I've done it my whole life, 27 years combining amateur wrestling and pro wrestling. So I'll continue to wrestle as long as I can... I refuse to quit. Vince McMahon is literally going to have to fire me in order for me to stop wrestling."

The Pro Wrestling Chronicle wrote an excellent editorial (http://pwchronicle.blogspot.com/2005/11/editorial-killing-yourself-to-live.html) on Angle's situation in late 2005. Key excerpts: "Angle's checklist reads like an almanac of worst case scenarios. Nerve damage to his face. Six knee surgeries. A broken neck. Torn muscles. Bone chips removed from his upper spine. Destroyed ligaments. Dislocated shoulders. Several years ago, Angle said to the press with pride, 'Look at my face. It looks like I have aged fifteen years in the last five.' Angle can no longer hear out of his left ear. It has been drained 80 times."

The Chronicle also recounted the story of how Angle won his Olympic Gold Medal in 1996, prior to his years as a pro wrestler. "Five months before the 1996 Olympics, Kurt Angle cracked two vertebrae and pulled four muscles in his back, causing two herniated discs to stab into his spinal cord. The pain was intense. Doctors told him that he risked paralysis competing, but Kurt was proud. Mepivacaine was the painkiller that Kurt Angle chose, and for the next half of a year he took it constantly to make training, and eventually winning a gold medal possible."

If you look at pictures of Kurt Angle from the mid-90s or even from 2000 and compare those pictures to what he looks like today, you can barely tell that it's same person. As the Chronicle put it, "Kurt's physical changes over the past half-decade are shocking. His head has increased in size dramatically, which may or may not point to use of Human Growth Hormone. Angle has suffered concussions, and has major nerve damage as a result of his neck problems. His triceps appear to be on the verge of atrophy, and one of Angle's biceps is noticeably larger than the other. Kurt Angle has a history of heart disease in his family. He has a glassy look in his eyes, and is a self-admitted user of painkillers. And he shows no signs of slowing down... Kurt Angle has proven in the past that pride is more important to him than anything. It has cost him his health, it has cost him his family, and at the rate he is going, sooner rather than later... his pride may cost him his life."

The WorldWrestlingInsanity web site reported just this week, "Kurt Angle is spiraling out of control.... His life is literally falling apart before our eyes. Angle is working himself into an early grave. It is public knowledge that Angle has a severely injured neck. He doesn’t try to conceal that fact nor does he downplay it. However, he has been downplaying other recent injuries that have plagued him. According to Angle’s own words in an interview with the British newspaper, The Sun, he cannot get out of bed in the morning without taking some sort of pain medication."

The Pro Wrestling Torch reported today after the news broke, "The fact that Angle has been wrestling a full time schedule has been of concern to colleagues for the past few years... several friends and colleagues of his say he has been using a lot of medication to get through his matches and mask his pain for years, to the point that people feared for his life."

In an interview with the Baltimore Sun in early 2005, Kurt Angle talked about his injuries and the fact that he was having trouble playing with his young daughter at that time.

Kurt's wife, Karen, spoke up and said to the interviewer, "If he gets to the point where he really can't play with her, that will be it. No matter what you have in your house, no matter how good your life is, you can't give that up. If that's what happens, that's when I'll put my foot down and make him stop." According to the Baltimore Sun, "At that moment, Kurt Angle smiled and said, 'I'll never stop.'"

Kurt Angle eventually reached a point where he had to choose between his family and his career, and he chose the latter. Angle's wife divorced him in the summer of 2005. They briefly reconciled in early 2006, only to separate again recently.

Karen Angle is now a few months' pregnant with their second child, a boy, who might never even get a chance to meet his father unless Kurt Angle takes his firing from WWE as an opportunity to get the help that he so desperately needs.

Fox
09-01-2006, 02:53 AM
I admire the man's integrity, but jesus, he seriously needs help.

Hopefully being off the road will clear his head and make him strong again. I really hope TNA or any other company would be against booking him with this issue so widely known.

What Would Kevin Do?
09-01-2006, 02:56 AM
I want to say TNA can't afford Angle, but I'm really hoping Kurt doesn't do something stupid, like go to them to spite WWE for not letting him wrestle.

And for the love of God I pray he doesn't go to Japan. I've seen a few posts where feds like NOAH would be very interested in bringing him in (as he's already hugely popular in Japan) but the style over there would finish him off.

What worries me the most is one line though...

"Kurt Angle smiled and said, "I'll never stop.'" "

Blitz
09-01-2006, 02:57 AM
This is why I've never understood the mentality of "working through" injuries.

I certainly hope Kurt (provided this is accurate and his situation really is this bad) gets the help he needs.

The One
09-01-2006, 02:59 AM
Wow...just...wow.

Destor
09-01-2006, 03:03 AM
Kurt's already sacrificed his entire life to wrestling. If he chooses to sacrifices his death to it as well, I wont knock him for it. This shit is way to personal for me to even have an opinion.

The One
09-01-2006, 03:07 AM
You hear people talk about how they live for wrestling, and how they would die for it...some people mean it. I have no doubt Kurt Angle would die for his passion.

St. Jimmy
09-01-2006, 03:17 AM
Jesus Christ... Anyone who doesn't believe that compitetion is addictive can suck my cock. Kurt is a die-hard addict through and through. I hope he gets better and I sincerly hope he never steps into a wrestling shoe and or boot again - for his own good.

Boondock Saint
09-01-2006, 03:39 AM
Damn. I really hope he gets the help he needs, and gets better. That's a laundry list of injuries and he was wrestling with them, jesus christ.

Sure I'll miss seeing him perform but I'd much much rather he get the proper treatment to right himself.

WWE actually did something right in releasing him.

Get well, Kurt. :(

What Would Kevin Do?
09-01-2006, 03:40 AM
Thinking back, I can't help but cringe more at that moonsault he did off the cage :(

Tommy Gunn
09-01-2006, 06:17 AM
Jeez...

Last week I was hoping Kurt would take time off to heal and come back on a lighter schedule in 2007, but after reading that, I hope he retires before he kills himself.

If he was fit for it, I would hope Angle and WWE could organise a final match for Wrestlemania... I can already imagine the standing ovation he'd get...

God bless Kurt Angle, one of the most entertaining wrestlers of the last 7 years. Here's hoping he can find some happiness outside of the wrestling business.

Bad Company
09-01-2006, 07:08 AM
There is nothing in that Article that we all dont know though. I hope he retires and goes on Hollywood Squares or some shit.

What Would Kevin Do?
09-01-2006, 07:14 AM
There is nothing in that Article that we all dont know though. I hope he retires and goes on Hollywood Squares or some shit.

I don't know... I've "heard" it was bad, but it really never clicked with me how bad it was until I read this. Kurt needs to rest. Honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to them inducting him into the HOF this year, and giving him a big fanfare/send off at WM in Detroit. As much as I do not want him to get back into the ring like he is, I definately don't want his career to just end like this. If not in a match, the man needs a proper send off.

Afterlife
09-01-2006, 10:13 AM
He certainly does an excellent job of masking it. I mean, we all know Foley has that amazing pain threshhold, but damn....Kurt's must be awe-inspiring.

Kane Knight
09-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Jesus Christ... Anyone who doesn't believe that compitetion is addictive can suck my cock. Kurt is a die-hard addict through and through. I hope he gets better and I sincerly hope he never steps into a wrestling shoe and or boot again - for his own good.

It's funny (Not funny ha ha...). I can't help but continue to think of CM Punk's whole "My only vice is competition" line when reading about Kurt.

Because people really do assume that it's okay to prod crocodiles or jump out of planes, as long as you're not doing drugs.

In Kurt's case, I have no doubt that, even without painkillers, he would severely injure himself, possibly kill himself, simply because of the mentality to work through it, even when not physically capable. This is a sickness as legit as any drug addiction, and it does kill people.

Kane Knight
09-01-2006, 10:39 AM
He certainly does an excellent job of masking it. I mean, we all know Foley has that amazing pain threshhold, but damn....Kurt's must be awe-inspiring.

Might be less about pain threshold and more about simple patholgical issues.

Tornado
09-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Kurt has a young daughter and a son on the way, it's much more important that he is around and able to bring them up.
Letting Kurt go will be a hard decision for his fans to accept, but I think, for once, WWE have done the right thing.

Kane Knight
09-01-2006, 11:37 AM
I think a better decision would be to keep Kurt on and find some role for him that doesn't require wrestling. Then, he'd not be in a situation where he could go to another company and die. But I understand WWE is probably more interested in making sure he doesn't die on THEIR watch.

Joey Slugs
09-01-2006, 12:26 PM
I seriously hope that I never see Angle wrestle again. The thought that he is away and trying to heal is enough for me.

Gerard
09-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Ive never really noticed his head appearing to be bigger, though saying that when you shave your hair more of your head is visible and it probably appears bigger.

RGWhat316
09-01-2006, 04:12 PM
I'm a huge Kurt Angle fan, and even though I'm gonna miss seeing him perform, his health is more important.

I think we all knew how dedicated he was ever since WrestleMania 2003 when he sacrificed himself to be in the main event that year. I guess little did we know back then that it was only the start of him doing that.

The only other time I would want to see him back is to get a proper send-off. Just like WWKD said, as great as he is, his retirement should not end as him getting fired.

Russenmafia
09-01-2006, 05:11 PM
Kurt Angle has easily been the best wrestler in North America for the past seven years. He has given us 7 years of quality matches that we will all remember forever. Like the Angle DVD topic earlier suggesting what matches to put on, the options are endless as there are so many. The reason Kurt did not want to retire as he wanted to prove he was the greatest of all time. While there is opinions on whether he was the greatest of all time, it can be assumed that he has nothing more to prove in the ring.

Stay out the ring Kurt, heal those injuries and enjoy your life.

Extreme Angle
09-01-2006, 05:25 PM
I'm happy that he got fired, he is a great performer and i will miss watching him on my tele...
but yeah his health is more important

St. Jimmy
09-01-2006, 06:43 PM
It's funny (Not funny ha ha...). I can't help but continue to think of CM Punk's whole "My only vice is competition" line when reading about Kurt.

Because people really do assume that it's okay to prod crocodiles or jump out of planes, as long as you're not doing drugs.

In Kurt's case, I have no doubt that, even without painkillers, he would severely injure himself, possibly kill himself, simply because of the mentality to work through it, even when not physically capable. This is a sickness as legit as any drug addiction, and it does kill people.

I was thinking the whole CM Punk thing too, but then comparing Punk to Angle is comparing a Pickup Truck to a Semi. They both haul, but which one is gonna destroy the other one if it wanted.

Destor
09-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Even after all of this, I still want to see him have 1 more match.

The One
09-01-2006, 06:53 PM
But who would his last match be against? There was no one fued that really personified his career. I am trying and yet I can't think up who I would want to see Kurt Angle's last match be against.

Destor
09-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Benoit. Easy.

The One
09-01-2006, 07:00 PM
I just realised that this means that there is next to no chance that we will ever get to see Kurt Angle vs. CM Punk.

Not that that is the least of anyone's worries right now, and yet it's something I just realised.

Destor
09-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Yeah, that CM Punk Kurt comparison got me thinking of that. Sucks but I can think of several people Bret never got to wrestle (Kurt.) So it was bound to happen. Health should be the no.1 concern here. But I do feel he has one more match in him.

Extreme Angle
09-01-2006, 07:10 PM
i can see him coming back in the future...

The One
09-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Yeah, that CM Punk Kurt comparison got me thinking of that. Sucks but I can think of several people Bret never got to wrestle (Kurt.) So it was bound to happen. Health should be the no.1 concern here. But I do feel he has one more match in him.

Bret really did get to wrestle anyone who was anyone during his time on active though. I mean I can't think of too many people that Bret never got in the ring with. Kurt would be the only thing kind of close, but Bret was done long before Kurt reached the ability to put on a five star match.

Truth Commission
09-01-2006, 08:47 PM
If feel sorry for Angle.

Although I probably haven't gone through anywhere near the pain the Angle seems to be going through (just reading that article made me whince :nono: -), I know what its like to (idiotically) compete due to too much pride.

At the start of my highschool year, I was told that I shouldn't play NCAA Division I tennis because my back was too messed up (I had two herniated discs in my lower back). The doctor and my parents didn't want me to play, but I played anyway.

In 2004, I sufferred a 3rd herniated disc and had to miss half the tennis matches that year. I still kept training.

I ended up coming back to play, and helped our team make conference (I wasn't able to compete however. The doctors didn't clear me to play since my thighs kept going numb and even the quortosome shots weren't easing the pain. My studies and sleep were starting to get affected).

Bottom line. It was retarded what I did, but I felt proud of it. With basically a broken down body, I helped our team make conference. I was voted MVP and captain of the team that year.

My coach told me that I was an inspiration.

So yeah - it was retarded what *I* did, but I would it all over again.

Even today as I speak - I'm a better athlete than almost anyone out there (although my back is in much better condition now with intense rehab).

As far as Angle goes, I COMPLETELY understand what he's going through.

As a fan, I hope Angle doesn't kill himself. As a fellow athlete though, all I can say is that Angle should do what HE thinks is best. :-\

Sometimes in real life, you'll work even harder when something's taken away from you. I was like that.....and I'm afraid that Angle might be like that as well.

YOUR Hero
09-01-2006, 08:47 PM
If Kurt is away from wrestling it should cause him to realize what's the most important aspects of his life. BTW, it's not wrestling.
If he is too selfish and doesn't get help or continues to wrestle, then fuck him. I certainly won't cry for him if he died. I'd have sadness for his family, but I'd be so pissed off at him.

Londoner
09-02-2006, 01:04 AM
Hopefully the WWE firing Kurt will knock some sense into him, he may begin to realise the more important things in his life, I think he needs to see a psychologist about his wrestling addiction though. Good luck to him.

mike627
09-02-2006, 01:40 AM
after reading this I think Kurt needs to step back and hopefully get his life in order and then and only then he sholud think about comming back.

M-A-G
09-02-2006, 09:51 PM
As reported earlier, WWE has changed their stance on the release of Kurt Angle. After painting it as a mutual thing last week, they came out yesterday and called Angle an "emotional wreck" and the meeting a "heated one." Word is that WWE had asked Angle to take care of his many medical issues during their meeting last Friday which upset Angle. It's possible that WWE has found out that Angle has yet to take the steps they wanted him to take regarding his health, which is why they released the message yesterday.

Credit: PWInsider.com

El Fangel
09-02-2006, 10:44 PM
it may be stupid as fuck, but working through the pain to help a team is something that brings pride you and inspiration to them, I remember my leg was screwed up and I could barely walk on it, still I got up to bat and blasted a 3 run homer over the fence and hobbled around the bases, and got a standing ovation from both teams. It was I dunno a proud moment... but seriuosly If Angle comes back after he is fully healed to do one last match, I hope its an hour long ultimate submission 3way match. With Benoit and Jericho

Kane Knight
09-02-2006, 11:22 PM
it may be stupid as fuck, but working through the pain to help a team is something that brings pride you and inspiration to them, I remember my leg was screwed up and I could barely walk on it, still I got up to bat and blasted a 3 run homer over the fence and hobbled around the bases, and got a standing ovation from both teams. It was I dunno a proud moment... but seriuosly If Angle comes back after he is fully healed to do one last match, I hope its an hour long ultimate submission 3way match. With Benoit and Jericho

Pride is stupid in and of itself. It's a sin, it comes before a fall, and it gets you killed. Almost every culture warns of pride, hubris, whatever you want to call it, and epic heroes fall to it.

Gaining pride, or inspiring other people to be stupid, to place no value in their families. That's bad.

You might as well laud Eddie for inspiring people to do coke.

El Fangel
09-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Even after my post this will sound hypocritical, I know pride is dumb, and it can make you do stupid things, but to help the team instead of sitting there feeling useless makes a big difference.

Kane Knight
09-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Yes, and to help the team by killing yourself and inspiring other people to do similar is retarded. I don't care if you're Kurt Freakin' Angle or not.