PDA

View Full Version : NBA Midseason Thread

loopydate
02-09-2004, 09:48 PM
Okay, so the All-Star Game isn't until next weekend, but every team has played at least half their games, so let's start discussing.

IF THE PLAYOFFS STARTED TODAY

The East brackets would look like:
(1) Indiana Pacers vs. (8) Boston Celtics
(4) Milwaukee Bucks vs. (5) New Orleans Hornets
(2) New Jersey Nets vs. (7) New York Knicks
(3) Detroit Pistons vs. (6) Toronto Raptors

The West brackets would look like:
(1) Sacramento Kings vs. (8) Denver Nuggets
(4) Dallas Mavericks vs. (5) Los Angeles Lakers
(2) Minnesota Timberwolves vs. (7) Houston Rockets
(3) San Antonio Spurs vs. (6) Memphis Grizzlies

How much will these change over the next few months? Can the Grizzlies (the GRIZZLIES) hold on to a playoff berth? Can the Lakers get healthy and get first-round home court advantage? Can the Midwest send SIX of their seven teams into the playoffs?

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER

Who's it going to be? Tracy McGrady has been on fire, but the Magic seem rooted in the Atlantic cellar. Kevin Garnett's got the Timberwolves on top, but he has a supporting cast for the first time in his career. Will it be the usual suspects (AI? Shaq/Kobe? Duncan?)? Or is it going to be somebody who thus far has been totally off the MVP radar? Maybe one of the Pistons leaders (Billups or Wallace)? Jermaine O'Neal? Mike Bibby? 'Melo?!?

Discuss.

KingofOldSchool
02-09-2004, 09:58 PM
I think it will probably K-G or Duncan, but I think J-O should get some serious consideration.

Supreme Olajuwon
02-09-2004, 10:02 PM
I always think the MVP should go to the player who is most valuable to his team but usually it just goes to the best player

Garnett is the best player in the league

Michael Redd is probable the most valuable to his team though

loopydate
02-09-2004, 10:14 PM
I always think the MVP should go to the player who is most valuable to his team but usually it just goes to the best player

Garnett is the best player in the league

Michael Redd is probable the most valuable to his team though

Ooh, good one! Redd slipped my mind. No way the Bucks are 3rd in the Central without Redd.

Bad Guy
02-09-2004, 10:25 PM
i would like to change my vote. pistons are going nowhere. nba champs= timberwolves

BCWWF
02-09-2004, 11:25 PM
I am going to get my usual shit for talking up my hometown team again here, but its just my opinions.

I think Sacramento will probably hold onto first place in the West, and although the Timberwolves are starting to show signs of slowing down from their hot streak, I think they will win their division and end up the second seed. San Antonio just doesn't have the talent, Dallas has some good offensive players but they aren't going to get anywhere without a center and without a good defense, and I don't think the Lakers are even a better team than Minnesota or Sacramento with their big four healthy.

It is wierd to think about it, because the real goal here in Minnesota is just getting out of the first round for the first time, but honestly it is entirely possible for the Wolves to be NBA Champs. They have won some big games already this season, in Sacramento specifically. San Antonio doesn't have the personel to deal with Cassell or Sprewell, and Garnett just negates Duncan. Dallas just won't have enough to make it to the Western Finals this year IMO.

I think Sacramento should make a serious bid for Michael Finley if at all possible. Doug Christie is the achillies heal in the star studden lineup, and Finley could fit perfectly into their perimeter game. Also I don't think Chris Weber will be a huge impact upon his return. Brad Miller is playing way too good and even Vlade Divac is a pretty good player, he is probably the best passing center in the game. They have room to try to get a great player by the deadline.

Dallas, I think they should trade Antwaan Jamison to the Cavileers for Z. Jamison would be the perfect sidekick to LeBron James, both young, and Z could fill the big void lacked in Dallas that we call a center. Dirk Nowitski is a shooter, he can't rebound, compare him to any decent center in the league and he is trash. I know Dirk is back at forward, but now they have some other crappy guy starting there.

I have heard the rumors about Van Exel and Dampier to the Blazers for Rasheed, that would be huge. Damon Stadameier is not a bad pG at all, but having Van Exel would only help, and Dampier has totally come out of his closet and would play real well alongside Randolph.

Also, Van Exel has made it clear that he will either be playing in Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio next year or he will retire.

I don't know how the Timberwolves will fare when Szczerbiak and Olowokandi come back, hopefully only better. I really like Fred Hoiberg, so I hope we don't have to cut him loose even though he would be playing deep in the lineup. But Hoiberg is basically just a lesser version of Wally Szczerbiak. Olowokandi you never know what you are going to get, but I assume that his presence will be felt in the paint next to KG.

MVP: I don't see how you could say it be anyone else but Kevin Garnett. Redd may be the reason that the Bucks are doing well in the East right now, but I can guarantee you that a Minnesota team without Kevin Garnett would be fighting for the 7 and 8 seed. Garnett is just that good, he is the best player in the NBA this year and to not give him the MVP would be a travesty. The other thing, he now has a supporting cast, but now his stats are better along with the teams stats. So they may be helping the team win, but he has offered more that he ever has in his career assist, rebound, scoring wise.

The two most important series's in the season, the Western Finals and the NBA Finals.

I think the Western Finals will be the Wolves and the Kings because they are the two most talented teams in the league and they both have good depth. It's hard to say who would win, Cassell has an edge over Bibby, Garnett has a slight edge over Weber or Miller, but Peja has the edge over Spree easilly. I assume Hassell would guard Peja and Spree take Christie though. Bobby Jackson is good, but IMO the Timberwolves are deeper, Hudson, Wally, Trent, Madson, and Johnson I guess, I think the Timberwolves right now would have the edge in that series if it took place right now.

NBA Finals: The East seems kind of split between Indiana, New Jersey, and Detroit. I don't see New Jersey pulling out #3 this year, but its hard to say if either Detroit or Indiana will choke. Indiana has the best team right now, so I will guess that they go to the finals. If Indiana makes the Finals, it wont be a walk over for any team, whether it be the Kings, Wolves, Spurs, Mav's, or Lakers. I still do think that the West will win though.

KingofOldSchool
02-09-2004, 11:34 PM
Pacers will go down in the second round.

I hate to say it, but it's true.

Indiana pro sports teams will forever be destined to choke in the playoffs.

Prove me wrong Indiana, prove me wrong.

Supreme Olajuwon
02-09-2004, 11:43 PM
Indiana still has the Hickory High Huskers

Kristanna Vola
02-09-2004, 11:49 PM
Cancel out the Lakers period. Even if they get healthy by March the highest seed they are going to get now is probably 3rd. Injuries have really missed up the little chemistry they did have at the beginning of the season. They can't turn it on anymore for a couple of reasons. They have no real depth, overall there are three teams better than the lakers on depth alone. Now maybe they'll pull it off...but I just don't see it.

I just don't see the Griz making it to the playoffs. I think the nuggets are a lock for the 7th or 8th spot.

I like the Spurs and the Kings in the western conference finals. The Kings NEED to get it done now. They should have beaten the Lakers in 2002 and I believe had Webber not had gotten injuried during the playoffs last year, they would already have the trophy.

I don't care about the East. I haven't cared about the East since his airness left...and no I'm not talking about MJ from the Wiz either.

The Icon of Elisim
02-10-2004, 02:52 AM
I'd say that the the Grizzlies have a good chance of making the playoffs. IMO they are the deepest team in the NBA. Plus they have a very good starting team.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-10-2004, 03:20 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if the Celts didn't make the playoffs...Danny Ainge is a clown

Corkscrewed
02-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Can the Grizzlies (the GRIZZLIES) hold on to a playoff berth? Can the Lakers get healthy and get first-round home court advantage? Can the Midwest send SIX of their seven teams into the playoffs?

Yes, yes, and yes.

Lakers have never had as much depth as say, the Mavs and Kings, but they still won three titles in a row. This year's team is deeper than ever, and with the recent injuries, the bench has been forced to learn how to play and improve. This should help them in the long run.

It's pretty simple: When the Lakers play defense, they win.

BCWWF
02-11-2004, 09:54 PM
Cordscrewed, you didn't answer the third question, can the Midwest send SIX of their seven teams into the playoffs?

DaveWadding
02-11-2004, 10:00 PM
I think its funny that you guys thought I was on something when I picked Denver as a surprise at the beginning of the season.

BCWWF
02-11-2004, 10:02 PM
Granted, but they are starting to hit the wall now.

Kristanna Vola
02-11-2004, 10:16 PM
They've gone 2-2 (nuggets) so far in Feb. They got a tough game against the new blazers Thursday night. After the break they have three almost gimmie games (Philly, Orlando and Miami)

two extra points for Carmelo and his wrestlemania reference after beating the Griz on Tuesday :)

Crimson
02-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Celtics probably won't make it. I woulda loved to see the Clippers sneak in but the west is just too tough, if they were in the east they'd get like a 3 seed. I think in the western finals it'll be the Lakers and Spurs yet again. In the east i'll go with Indiana.

KingofOldSchool
02-12-2004, 12:52 AM
West: Dallas (Nash/Nowitzki :love: )
East: Detroit

Bad Guy
02-12-2004, 12:57 AM
East: Detroit

I can still dream.

KingofOldSchool
02-12-2004, 01:00 AM
I can still dream.

Well they win the East by default cause the Pacers will fold faster than the XFL.

Bad Guy
02-12-2004, 01:01 AM
lol

Supreme Olajuwon
02-12-2004, 09:35 AM
I think its funny that you guys thought I was on something when I picked Denver as a surprise at the beginning of the season.
not really since I said Memphis would be

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-12-2004, 02:47 PM
I dunno about the Celtics though, I just saw the Heat are in 9th and the Heat are pretty bad

Celts will probably hold onto to the 8th spot.........sweet nice work Danny Ainge :y: :y:

BCWWF
02-12-2004, 03:54 PM
What makes everybody think that the Spurs are so good? They aren't.

BCWWF
02-12-2004, 03:55 PM
Anyway, wasn't Western Finals San Antonio and Dallas?

The Dub
02-18-2004, 03:48 PM
Ooh, good one! Redd slipped my mind. No way the Bucks are 3rd in the Central without Redd.
No one gives a shit about Michael Redd.

The Dub
02-18-2004, 03:51 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if the Celts didn't make the playoffs...Danny Ainge is a clown
I agree with that. It seems that Danny Ainge is single-handedly turning Boston into a lottery team again after being in the East Finals two years ago. Trading Antoine Walker and Tony Delk to get Raef LaFrentz, Jiri Welsch and Chris Mills( who I'm surprised is still in the League) defies all logic to me.

The Dub
02-18-2004, 03:54 PM
What makes everybody think that the Spurs are so good? They aren't.
Shut up, dumbass. You want to know what makes everyone not think, but KNOW that the Spurs are good? How about two championships in the last five years, even if one has, as Phil Jackson would say, an * by it.

BCWWF
02-18-2004, 03:54 PM
Maybe if they can get a good draft pick then they can get rid of all their shit and have cap room to be good next year? Doubtful though.

Supreme Olajuwon
02-18-2004, 03:55 PM
No one gives a shit about Michael Redd.
do you even watch basketball?

The Dub
02-18-2004, 03:56 PM
I'd say that the the Grizzlies have a good chance of making the playoffs. IMO they are the deepest team in the NBA. Plus they have a very good starting team.
The Grizzlies are the deepest team in the NBA? :rofl:

BCWWF
02-18-2004, 04:11 PM
RapidWolverine = Forums newest dunce.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-18-2004, 04:15 PM
No one gives a shit about Michael Redd. :|

Do you even know who he is? Or how good he is?

The Dub
02-18-2004, 05:58 PM
:|

Do you even know who he is? Or how good he is?
Yes I know who Michael Redd is. I think he is a good player. I don't think he's an All-Star.

The Dub
02-18-2004, 06:00 PM
do you even watch basketball?
Don't ask stupid questions. And me not being a fan of Michael Redd is no reason to question whether I watch basketball or not.

The Dub
02-18-2004, 06:04 PM
RapidWolverine = Forums newest dunce.
Why so? Because I don't see that Milwaukee wouldn't be where they are without Michael Redd? I'm sorry, but I'm just not ready to jump on the Michael Redd bandwagon just yet. I'm pretty sure this will be the only time he'll make the All-Star team. Like I said before, he's good, but not an All-Star. You're the dunce for not seeing how good the Spurs really are. They're a whole lot better than the Bucks, I'll tell you that. I'd rather have Manu Ginobili on my squad than Michael Redd anyday.

If the playoffs started today, they wouldn't beat the Hornets anyway because they have a real All-Star on their squad named Baron Davis, not to mention Jamal Mashburn and Big Cat Magloire.

The Dub
02-18-2004, 06:14 PM
i would like to change my vote. pistons are going nowhere. nba champs= timberwolves
I don't want to hear shit about Minnesota until it's May and they're still playing. Shit, they'll probably slip to the 4 seed and LA will slip to 5 again and it will be 8 straight exits for KG.

The Dub
02-18-2004, 06:22 PM
\It is wierd to think about it, because the real goal here in Minnesota is just getting out of the first round for the first time, but honestly it is entirely possible for the Wolves to be NBA Champs. They have won some big games already this season, in Sacramento specifically. San Antonio doesn't have the personel to deal with Cassell or Sprewell, and Garnett just negates Duncan. Dallas just won't have enough to make it to the Western Finals this year IMO.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: San Antonio doesn't have the personnel to deal with Cassell and Sprewell? :rofl: :rofl: I guess Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili are just a couple of stiffs. Garnett negates Duncan? :rofl: :rofl: No one negates Duncan. Duncan can put up the same numbers as KG with much less effort. Damn, you're stupid. The T-Wolves haven't shown they can win, so I don't think they will. Bottom line. I don't think KG will ever get a ring as long as Tim Duncan is around and watch out for Yao.

BCWWF
02-18-2004, 06:53 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: San Antonio doesn't have the personnel to deal with Cassell and Sprewell? :rofl: :rofl: I guess Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili are just a couple of stiffs.

They are a couple of stiffs. Ginobili started out hot but just about lost his job to Hedu Turkolu of all people. Cassell is better at every aspect of the game that Tony Parker. I lost any faith I ever had in Parker when he failed so miserably in the playoffs last year, and the worst NBA Finals in recent history.

Garnett negates Duncan? :rofl: :rofl: No one negates Duncan. Duncan can put up the same numbers as KG with much less effort.

Then why doesn't he? Garnett scores and rebounds more than Duncan right now, and he will for the rest of the year. Any advantage Duncan gives you is lost because Kevin Garnett is the only player of his position as good/better than him. Duncan has the huge advantage against most pF's, but not Garnett. In the same way Duncan negates Garnett, but then add Spre, Sam, Trent, Hassell, Wally, Hudson etc and the Wolves have the better team. Simply said.

Damn, you're stupid. The T-Wolves haven't shown they can win, so I don't think they will. Bottom line. I don't think KG will ever get a ring as long as Tim Duncan is around and watch out for Yao.

The Spurs do not have a good offense, don't kid yourself and say that. Duncan, yes. Rasho, sometimes. The rest, meh. San Antonio is a bunch of veteran role players who play defense. The Timberwolves play the best zone defense in the league. Put a really good offense against the best defense, ok, then put a decent offense against another really good defense, and like we have already seen this year, the Timberwolves win.

Michael Jordan didn't win a championship until his 7th year into the league, when he finally got a good team around him. Kevin Garnett won't win his first championship until his 9th year because he now has a good team around him.

The Dub
02-19-2004, 12:51 PM
They are a couple of stiffs. Ginobili started out hot but just about lost his job to Hedu Turkolu of all people. Cassell is better at every aspect of the game that Tony Parker. I lost any faith I ever had in Parker when he failed so miserably in the playoffs last year, and the worst NBA Finals in recent history.

Then why doesn't he? Garnett scores and rebounds more than Duncan right now, and he will for the rest of the year. Any advantage Duncan gives you is lost because Kevin Garnett is the only player of his position as good/better than him. Duncan has the huge advantage against most pF's, but not Garnett. In the same way Duncan negates Garnett, but then add Spre, Sam, Trent, Hassell, Wally, Hudson etc and the Wolves have the better team. Simply said.

The Spurs do not have a good offense, don't kid yourself and say that. Duncan, yes. Rasho, sometimes. The rest, meh. San Antonio is a bunch of veteran role players who play defense. The Timberwolves play the best zone defense in the league. Put a really good offense against the best defense, ok, then put a decent offense against another really good defense, and like we have already seen this year, the Timberwolves win.

Michael Jordan didn't win a championship until his 7th year into the league, when he finally got a good team around him. Kevin Garnett won't win his first championship until his 9th year because he now has a good team around him.
Say all you want. I guarantee Minnesota will choke yet again. Cassell is having his best season and will be on the decline. Parker is like 21. He's only going to get better. You need to get your ass whooped if you think Manu is a stiff. There isn't a player in the league who can guard him. Kobe can't, so why would I believe that anyone on Minnesota's squad can?

KG is not better than Duncan. Like I said before, Duncan can get the same numbers as KG without giving everything he's got. Why doesn't he? Because he doesn't have to.

Don't ever mention Trent Hassell again.

You could say the same thing about Dallas. You got Dirk, Fin, Nash, Walker, and Jamison. Even last year's team was better than the Spurs. And who won the championship? That's right, the Spurs.

The Spurs do have a good offense if that offense revolves around Duncan, which it does. You talk about defense like it doesn't matter. DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS. OFFENSE SELLS TICKETS.

Like I said before, KG will NEVER win a championship. His main supporting cast of Cassell and Sprewell are in the twilight of their careers and SA has a young supporting cast. You talk like Hedo is a stiff, but you give mad props to Trent Hassell. :rofl: SA also has a shitload of cap room to improve even more.

Don't base anything on what happened in the regular season. I forgot to even mention LA and Sac. I don't think they can beat Dallas either. In my opinion, they're still the fourth or fifth best team in the West until they prove me otherwise by WINNING IN THE PLAYOFFS! You just better pray that they win the Midwest because if they don't, they won't be playing in May.

You say that KG finally has a good team around him and he will get a ring in the next two or three seasons. Well, Tim Duncan's, according to you, supporting cast are a bunch of stiffs and role players who play defense. Every team needs role players, dumbass. Every championship team plays good defense, dumbass. Tim Duncan has two rings and they dethroned LA with that very team of stiffs. You have so much to learn, junior.

The only reason you think the Spurs aren't good is because they aren't exactly the most fun to watch. I think Spurs fans have a different opinion. How fun has it been for you watching your Wolves being eliminated each of the past seven seasons? Everybody counted SA out last year. No one thought they'd catch Dallas. No one thought they'd beat LA. They did and that makes them the best. They sent the Lakers home crying for God's sake. Who can say that? Don't let your hometeam bias overshadow your good judgement and perception of reality, kid.