PDA

View Full Version : Can Somebody Explain these to me (Soccer)

BCWWF
02-10-2004, 12:08 AM
I basically know what all of them are, but can someone go into a little more detail about how they work, like whose involved, when they are, what they mean.

FA Cup: How do the draws work and what is the signifigance?
Worthington: What is this altogether?
European: Is this the champions league?
UEFA: Basics
Any other cups. Is the F.A. Cup technially the "Superbowl" of the EPL? Just some random questions, I want to know the details of all this shiz.

Cactus Sid
02-10-2004, 07:25 AM
Uefa Cup (to carry on) has a number of ways to provide qualification. The first is the club which wins the national cup competition (so in England its the FA Cup) recieves a place in the Uefa Cup, if the winner qualifies for the Champions League in the same season, the runner-up recieves a place in the Uefa, if they are in the Champions League (say for example the final is Arsenal vs Manchester United) then the Uefa Cup position is allocated to the side which finishes 7th in the EPL. The teams which finish 5th and 6th in the EPL also qualify for the Uefa Cup automatically, as does the winner of the Carling Cup (or Worthington as you've put). The side which finishes 8th are given the option to participate in a competition known as the Intertoto Cup, this is a knockout compeititon where each game is played over 2 legs, and the winners advance to the next round. Their are 3 different matches played to determine 3 qualifiers for the Uefa Cup, this is for the whole of Europe. Each country is different and recieves a different number of places in relation to how well the country does in Europe, so for example Italy, Spain, Germany and England tend to recieve the most places for each competition.

In the Uefa Cup there is a qualifying round to determine some of the lower ranked clubs who enter the full Uefa Cup draw (you get clubs from Malta and Lithuania (for example) playing against each other) Also, the teams which have gained a place into the Champions League, (so say Slimea Wanderers win the Maltan league, they will enter the Champions League) which are lower-ranked, have to play a qualifying competition, if they are knocked out, they are able to enter the Uefa Cup, that is where the difference in prestige comes in. There are 3 qualifying rounds in the Champions League, the 1st round is usually the lowely countries who have qualified, the 2nd round is usually the sides which are slightly better, but nowhere near the best, or sides which qualify from coming in the final Champions League position in there country (so a couple of years ago, Newcastle finished 4th, and had to play 2 qualifying games) Teams in the 3rd round are those who have qualified from the 2nd qualifying phase and those who do not qualifiy automatically for the Champions League (so those who finish 3rd in leagues such as Italy, England, Spain and Germany, or those who finish 2nd in leagues such as France, Portugal and Holland) the winners of the 3rd qualifying stage enter the Champions League, while the losers enter the 1st round draw for the Uefa Cup.

So in the first round of the Uefa Cup you have those who have qualified from winning there qualifying rounds in the Uefa Cup, those who have lost in Champions League qualification, and those who qualified for the Uefa Cup outright anyway.

This leads to the 1st round of the cup, where ties are played over 2 legs, and the winners advance, the same goes for the 2nd leg.

The draws for the competition are determined by a seeding basis, and each seed is paired up with a non-seed, giving a block of 16 teams, the 8 seeds can then only be drawn against the 8 non-seeds, and this is the same for the second round draw.

It is also the same for the third round, but the difference then, is that sides which finish 3rd in there Champions League group, are out of the Champions League, but qualify for the Uefa Cup (so therefore another 8 teams are added to Uefa Cup draw)

The draw is made in the seeding process again, however, the difference being that by the third round of the Uefa Cup, the clubs should be of a better quality, so even a seed drawn against a non-seed can be a difficult match.

In the 4th round draw, any team can play any other team, and this continues until the final.

Clear as mud, eh?

Paranoid Rattlesnake
02-10-2004, 07:37 AM
Also the Uefa fair play award winner gains entry into the uefa cup. So the cleanest team in europes top leagues gets a position due to the fact they haven't had many players booked or sent off.

Danny Electric
02-10-2004, 07:50 AM
Another way to enter the UEFA Cup is through the Intertoto Cup, which takes part in pre-season. Basically it's a back-door entry for teams who finish below the qualifiacation for the UEFA Cup. Oh it sucks too.

Mike the Metal Ed
02-10-2004, 08:46 AM
The FA Cup is the oldest English competition. It's a knockout competition, competed in by every team from Premier League to Conference. Part of the romance of the FA cup is that part-timers and lower division teams can get their opportunity to entertain some of Europe's premier teams (Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal etc.). Every team that advances from the previous round is basically placed in a barrel, and the next round gets drawn completely at random. The FA cup final is not an EPL "superbowl", it's a completely separate competition. However, at the start of the season, the EPL winner plays the FA Cup winner (except when it's the same team, in which case the 2nd EPL team plays) in the Community Shield, which is sort of a Superbowl.

Thats pretty much right, although every Semi-Professional team in England takes part in the F.A. Cup, not just those in the Conference, they have 3(?) preliminary rounds in which only the Semi-Pro (or Non-League) teams play, the progressors from those rounds make it to the first round (proper) of the F.A Cup, where they either get drawn against each other, or Division 3 teams and some Division 2 teams, who get a bye to the first round proper. The winners of those matches get drawn into the Second Round Proper, in which some Division 1 teams enter. Then the winners of THOSE matches, get to the 3rd Round (proper) of the F.A. Cup, where the Premier League teams enter the competition, this is where things start to get interesting as Lower League teams get drawn against Premiership "big boys" and occasionally knock them out of the cup in a giantkilling. Like when Wycombe of division 2 beat a Premier League (not to mention overall shit) Leicester in the 6th Round (Quater Final) of the Cup in 2002. :(

Wengerland
02-10-2004, 08:58 AM
Also in the F.A Cup,the Division 1 teams(aswell as Premiership) get a bye until the 3rd round.

Mike the Metal Ed
02-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Also in the F.A Cup,the Division 1 teams(aswell as Premiership) get a bye until the 3rd round.

Didn't Leicester play the 2nd Round last year?

Mike the Metal Ed
02-10-2004, 09:03 AM
Didn't Leicester play the 2nd Round last year?

Nope, you're right. Leicester's first F.A Cup match that year was when we beat Brizzlzitty 2-0 :cool:

Cactus Sid
02-10-2004, 09:47 AM
Another way to enter the UEFA Cup is through the Intertoto Cup, which takes part in pre-season. Basically it's a back-door entry for teams who finish below the qualifiacation for the UEFA Cup. Oh it sucks too.

I mentioned it :p

Danny Electric
02-10-2004, 09:49 AM
I mentioned it :p
Sos mate, I read over your post but I must have been in a world of my own.Lol.

Rob
02-10-2004, 03:22 PM
BCWWF - I hope you understood all that pal cos we ain't explaining it again :p

Oh yeah, the Champions League final is the "Superbowl"

toxic rooster
02-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Thats pretty much right, although every Semi-Professional team in England takes part in the F.A. Cup, not just those in the Conference

Cut me some slack :mad:

Wengerland
02-10-2004, 05:14 PM
they have 3(?) preliminary rounds in which only the Semi-Pro (or Non-League) teams play,

I think it's more like 6,maybe more.

BCWWF
02-10-2004, 07:34 PM
Wow, I think I get all of that. The UEFA cup seems pretty much like the Champions League losers, all of the early rounds seem pointless. I will have to read this over again, but wow, thanks a lot, a lot more information than I was expecting!

Danny Electric
02-10-2004, 08:18 PM
Wow, I think I get all of that. The UEFA cup seems pretty much like the Champions League losers, all of the early rounds seem pointless. I will have to read this over again, but wow, thanks a lot, a lot more information than I was expecting!

Hey, it's not for losers. :'(
Liverpool are only in it because they...felt sorry for everyone else. :shifty:

Dazz
02-10-2004, 08:21 PM

Yeah basically the UEFA cup is for the not as good teams. The Champions League is the competition to be in, the winners earn like £15 Million or something, from all the prize money.

and also the UEFA Cup looks bad because the team that finishes third place in the first phase of the Champons league goes into the UEFA Cup, so it makes it look like they aren't good enough for the Champions League, but are good enough for the UEFA Cup.

Also, Pierlugi Collina is the best ref in the world.

British Beef
02-11-2004, 07:43 AM
Thats pretty much right, although every Semi-Professional team in England takes part in the F.A. Cup, not just those in the Conference, they have 3(?) preliminary rounds in which only the Semi-Pro (or Non-League) teams play, the progressors from those rounds make it to the first round (proper) of the F.A Cup, where they either get drawn against each other, or Division 3 teams and some Division 2 teams, who get a bye to the first round proper. The winners of those matches get drawn into the Second Round Proper, in which some Division 1 teams enter. Then the winners of THOSE matches, get to the 3rd Round (proper) of the F.A. Cup, where the Premier League teams enter the competition, this is where things start to get interesting as Lower League teams get drawn against Premiership "big boys" and occasionally knock them out of the cup in a giantkilling. Like when Wycombe of division 2 beat a Premier League (not to mention overall shit) Leicester in the 6th Round (Quater Final) of the Cup in 2002. :(

Thats almost right. No teams start in the second round though, and all Second Division Teams start in the First Round. And, as has been said, there are more than 3 qualifying rounds.

Who cares anyway. We all know that the LDV is where the real action is at.

OH WE'RE OFF TO CARDIFF COZ WE BEAT THE COL U!

Wengerland
02-11-2004, 05:27 PM
Thats almost right. No teams start in the second round though, and all Second Division Teams start in the First Round. And, as has been said, there are more than 3 qualifying rounds.

Who cares anyway. We all know that the LDV is where the real action is at.

OH WE'RE OFF TO CARDIFF COZ WE BEAT THE COL U!

lol

Southend is it?

British Beef
02-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Heh. Damned right.

98 years we've waited for a Cup Final and we're now 90 minutes away....