PDA

View Full Version : Was Hulk Hogan better as a heel or a face?

Xero
09-11-2006, 11:37 AM
What do you think?

St. Jimmy
09-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Heel. Hollywood in WCW was completely tolerable. Since occasionally a face definatly had to get the best of him. Every match wasn't the usual Hulk-up, Boot, Leg Drop shit. Chairshots and heel tactics make the faces look credable.

xXSabUXx
09-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Hollywood Hogan (Heel)!

When that Jimi Hendrix music hit the place just BLEW UP!!!!!!!!

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/h/hulkhogan/28.jpg

OverTaker
09-11-2006, 02:39 PM
He should switch back and forth every other week.

Week 1:Black And White

Week 2:Red And Yellow

Week 3:Black And Whi..nah lets try the Purple and Pink!

The One
09-11-2006, 02:41 PM
His best is yet to come...DEAD.

Y2Jeremy
09-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Face was better. While the original NWO was entertaining, after hall go drunk and Nash started the Wolfpac, Hogan got really lame.

The One
09-11-2006, 03:24 PM
<s>Face was better. While the original NWO was entertaining, after hall go drunk and Nash started the Wolfpac,</s> Hogan <s>got</s>has always been really lame.

Tb1
09-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Face. He's the biggest face ever.

Jaton
09-11-2006, 03:43 PM
As much as we hate him, you have to admit he plays both sides well, and the marks eat that shit up.

Hanso Amore
09-11-2006, 04:45 PM
He was the Biggest Face of all time in the 80sl, simple as that

AS I kid I used to fucking go razy watching the pose down to real american after he won big matches.

But his fans grew up, and the heel trun was at a pefect time.

He was the WCWs hell of the 90s, love it or not. He should have retired after losing a clean finish at starcade 97. His as champ leading into the sting angle was great, and his fued with Sting was booked perfectly. Great buildup, shit blows off.

Hogan was great as both, but he will always be remembered for his face years from 83 - 93 in the WWF.

Thriller
09-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Heel.Mainly because we didnt have to put up with his posing that lasted just as long as his matches.

The One
09-11-2006, 05:17 PM
No, he will be remembered as the WWF's poser boy of 1985 to 1987...then as WCW's heel of heels from 1996-very end of 1997. That's all he's done. People never seem to understand this, and it shocks me a lot. Hulk Hogan had 5 years, FIVE YEARS where he was the number one draw of a company. When Hogan bodyslamed Andre at Mania 3, he jumped the shark. There was nothing else for him to do, and his popularity took a drastic drop. HE lost fans, and WWF in general lost fans. He didn't matter after that. The pops he was getting at the time were usually the same size if not smaller then Savage was getting, then when Savage turned heel...well...whatever. Warrior was a FAR bigger fan favorite then Hogan was. This whole split fan thing, I never saw it. Warrior had a good and easy 3/4 the crowd from my point of view...and after that, shit, you can throw the belt on Hogan again and again but that doesn't mean the fans actually enjoyed it.

In WCW he was absolute SHIT. He didn't draw worth a damn in there. 94-96 was wasted. Turning him heel was smart, he did get over again. He once again became number one, but even there...had it not been for Hall and Nash, a Hogan heel turn would have simply been another boring chapter. It was the fact that Hogan had a gang that made him cool.

See that's something Hogan has always done a great job of, convincing people he is the biggest star of all time. No he is not. He was the chosen one of McMahon going into Mania 1, from there he coasted to the biggest hyped match of all time (Hogan/Andre), and after that he really has been worth only as much as the guy next to him. There is no magic to his success, he happened to be the top man at a key moment in history. His entire career is based off the fact that Hulkamania coasted off the sucess of WrestleMania...he didn't even bother to change the words around.

Hogan is NOT the biggest face of all time. He is NOT the biggest draw of all time. Stone Cold Steve Austin is the biggest face in the history of this industry. HIS character and HIS character alone almost single handedly saved a dying empire and made them undisputedly number one in history. The biggest draw of all time is up in the air, personal choices for me would be Andre, Rocky, Flair, or of course my personal choice Steve Austin.

Ben Rodrigues
09-11-2006, 05:41 PM
How is Flair's draw value in the same league as Steve Austin's? (Real question).

The One
09-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Dollar for dollar, I think Flair might have drawn more people world wide through out his entire career then Austin, however you are totally correct in that at no one point in Flair's career was he anywhere near the drawing value of Stone Cold during the Attitude Era.

Unless you start factoring in the fact that Flair was really one of the first NATIONAL draw before there were even National TV deals. I mean he could draw in a crowd based on name value alone, but that still doesn't come close to selling out arenas in less than an hour.

St. Jimmy
09-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Dollar for dollar, I think Flair might have drawn more people world wide through out his entire career then Austin, however you are totally correct in that at no one point in Flair's career was he anywhere near the drawing value of Stone Cold during the Attitude Era.

Unless you start factoring in the fact that Flair was really one of the first NATIONAL draw before there were even National TV deals. I mean he could draw in a crowd based on name value alone, but that still doesn't come close to selling out arenas in less than an hour.

The One > You.

Hanso Amore
09-11-2006, 08:44 PM
The One > You.

Flair helped the NWA transcend the regional divide and he was huge world wide. He Drew alot for along time, but his biggest drawing years were for the NWA, which never came close to the WWF at the time. Even though he set the standard for NWA, they still pulled half the crowd the WWE did.

So it begs the question...

Is it better to be the BIGGEST Draw of all time, or the most consistent.

Hogan 80s > Austin > NWO > NWA Flair

Arashi Kage
09-11-2006, 09:07 PM
I don't understand why people hate Hogan. Then again, we all have characters that we hate. I for one, have never liked Austin's character, and I never will.

The Hulkster > "Stone Cold"

I'll always prefer the Hulkster face to the face/heel Hollywood Hogan, however, the nWo days with Hogan were great, and it was perfect timing for that character in the late 90's.

M-A-G
09-12-2006, 12:48 AM
As much as I want to say heel because I felt so comfortable booing the sh*t out of him, he's arguably the biggest drawing face of all time.

FourFifty
09-12-2006, 02:55 AM
His best is yet to come...DEAD.:y:

Tb1
09-12-2006, 04:08 AM
Hogan's made more money than Triple H, Austin and The Rock combined.

The One
09-12-2006, 04:14 AM
LMAO! You are telling me that Hogan single handedly made more money then the careers of three of the highest grossing wrestlers of all time. LMAO!

Tb1
09-12-2006, 04:23 AM
No, actually I'm not. I'm not a Hogan fan at all, and I don't think he has any real talent. But it's a fact, Hogan's merch and name has made more money than those three. Look it up

Destor
09-12-2006, 05:11 AM
Hogan's made more money than Triple H, Austin and The Rock combined.Thats insane. Especially if you count the Rock movie career. Hell inflation of the dollar alone makes that idiotic.

Dave Youell
09-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Yeah Rocky is charging millions per film now

For the Record IMO Hogan is the biggest draw ever. So face for me

Y2Jeremy
09-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Hogan made more money because of GIMMICKS!! pastamania, Hulkster brand vitamins, etc. Austin outsold him on shirts and hats alone. Hulk didnt bring people to wrestling, Austin did.

owenbrown
09-12-2006, 12:30 PM
No, he will be remembered as the WWF's poser boy of 1985 to 1987...then as WCW's heel of heels from 1996-very end of 1997. That's all he's done. People never seem to understand this, and it shocks me a lot. Hulk Hogan had 5 years, FIVE YEARS where he was the number one draw of a company. When Hogan bodyslamed Andre at Mania 3, he jumped the shark. There was nothing else for him to do, and his popularity took a drastic drop. HE lost fans, and WWF in general lost fans. He didn't matter after that. The pops he was getting at the time were usually the same size if not smaller then Savage was getting, then when Savage turned heel...well...whatever. Warrior was a FAR bigger fan favorite then Hogan was. This whole split fan thing, I never saw it. Warrior had a good and easy 3/4 the crowd from my point of view...and after that, shit, you can throw the belt on Hogan again and again but that doesn't mean the fans actually enjoyed it.

In WCW he was absolute SHIT. He didn't draw worth a damn in there. 94-96 was wasted. Turning him heel was smart, he did get over again. He once again became number one, but even there...had it not been for Hall and Nash, a Hogan heel turn would have simply been another boring chapter. It was the fact that Hogan had a gang that made him cool.

See that's something Hogan has always done a great job of, convincing people he is the biggest star of all time. No he is not. He was the chosen one of McMahon going into Mania 1, from there he coasted to the biggest hyped match of all time (Hogan/Andre), and after that he really has been worth only as much as the guy next to him. There is no magic to his success, he happened to be the top man at a key moment in history. His entire career is based off the fact that Hulkamania coasted off the sucess of WrestleMania...he didn't even bother to change the words around.

Hogan is NOT the biggest face of all time. He is NOT the biggest draw of all time. Stone Cold Steve Austin is the biggest face in the history of this industry. HIS character and HIS character alone almost single handedly saved a dying empire and made them undisputedly number one in history. The biggest draw of all time is up in the air, personal choices for me would be Andre, Rocky, Flair, or of course my personal choice Steve Austin.

Now after reading this, I realize something.... The One is absoFUCKINGlutely right about everything typed in that post. :y: :love:

Tb1
09-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Thats insane. Especially if you count the Rock movie career. Hell inflation of the dollar alone makes that idiotic.

Lol. I'm talking about their wrestling careers alone, obviously.

Fox
09-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Oh, fuck... not the "Hogan wasn't a draw" shit again.

The One is delusional.

Crippla
09-12-2006, 06:24 PM
He is not delusional. He wasn't saying Hogan wasn't a draw, he was just pointing out how stupid it was to say that he single handedly drew more money than HHH, The Rock, and Austin who are three of the biggest draws(especially Rock and Austin) in wrestling besides Hogan.

The One
09-12-2006, 06:32 PM
Oh, fuck... not the "Hogan wasn't a draw" shit again.

The One is delusional.

Actually, I gave him 5 years as the top draw in the world...I explained that his ability to draw was more about his surroundings, but no matter how he became the draw, I fully admit he had 5 years where he was the world's biggest draw.

The One
09-12-2006, 06:40 PM
And let's call a spade a spade, without McMahon to counter Austin, he wouldn't have been able to draw as much. Just like without WrestleMania and the nWo, Hogan wouldn't have been able to draw as much. To me, the three biggest stand alone draws of all time, I mean you put their name on the card and it doesn't matter who it's against it will sell, are The Rock, Ric Flair, and Andre The Giant. They are one man promotional packages.

Flair not so much over the past decade and a half, but before that...

Hanso Amore
09-14-2006, 06:28 PM
And let's call a spade a spade, without McMahon to counter Austin, he wouldn't have been able to draw as much. Just like without WrestleMania and the nWo, Hogan wouldn't have been able to draw as much. To me, the three biggest stand alone draws of all time, I mean you put their name on the card and it doesn't matter who it's against it will sell, are The Rock, Ric Flair, and Andre The Giant. They are one man promotional packages.

Flair not so much over the past decade and a half, but before that...

Take the other two off the list, leave Andre.

He is the biggest draw ever.

People would come to watch him sit in the ring and eat watermelon.

Goulet
09-14-2006, 09:18 PM
MatthewAllenHanso

Bad Company
09-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Lay off the Crack The One :p

He was best as Mr. America. FACE

The One
09-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Lay off the Crack The One :p

I would but I became really good friends with The Rock, and he insists that we all smoke what he's cookin.