PDA

View Full Version : What is everyone's beef with Randy Orton?

Fignuts
09-12-2006, 01:09 AM
Why does everyone here seem to hate him so much? I've always liked him. Yeah he stutters once and a while in his promos, but they are still better than half the roster's. And he's had a lot of really great matches.

Also, his selling is off the charts. I remember he took a stunner once and landed halfway hanging off the ropes. And it was realistic. Not over dramatic like Micheals and the Rock. Actually marked out for that particular sell, tbh.

You guys have to at least admit that he takes an excellent ass kicking.

The One
09-12-2006, 01:24 AM
I like Orton.

ron the dial
09-12-2006, 01:32 AM
He bores me. Nothing he says or does excites. That, and I don't like the cut of his jib.

Afterlife
09-12-2006, 01:40 AM
He's not that great in-ring...he's about as much of a wrestler as the Rock, but without the flash.

But see, most of us don't hate randy b/c of his onscreen character or because of his debatiable ability. Most of hate him because he's simply a lousy human being.

Fignuts
09-12-2006, 02:00 AM
Why cause he pulled a couple pranks backstage, that were completely blown out of preportion?

Schoenauer
09-12-2006, 02:10 AM
Yeah a lot of people mainly hate him because he can be an asshole.

D Mac
09-12-2006, 02:14 AM
He's the future. He's got all the tools. He's from MISSOURAH. :cool: He just needs to clean up his act.

.44 Magdalene
09-12-2006, 02:16 AM
Yeah, he's mediocre with a few high points here and there...which doesn't compensate quite enough for the dick he is outside of the ring. Overall, I don't hate him...I just don't care too much for him.

FourFifty
09-12-2006, 02:30 AM
He's good when he's not failing drug tests, pooping in purses, or using too many rest holds.

Extreme Angle
09-12-2006, 02:42 AM
Randy Orton is "Teh L33t Pwner", I think he is good on the mic, I like the europian uppercut and I like the way he appeals for the RKO

DaBrasko
09-12-2006, 03:49 AM
I only liked Orton during the RNN news breaks, but when he returned from injury his in ring skills were horrible and he never improved. He has never done anything that made me say "wow". His mic skills are bland and his actions are damn near robot like in my opinion. I can’t stand the way he sets up for the RKO, if he were to use it in many variations and more of an "out of nowhere" move as DDP did it would warrant more of a mark out moment from me. I do have to give him credit though he does have a great look, a phenomenal build and the pedigree of haveing wrestling in his blood so hopefully he will improve.

Tb1
09-12-2006, 04:02 AM
Orton: Trish... Trish!
Trish: What?
Orton: Yeah, take a look. You cunt.

D Mac
09-12-2006, 04:33 AM
Orton got some pretty big pops when he was a babyface.

Better Than You
09-12-2006, 06:46 AM
Why does everyone here seem to hate him so much? I've always liked him. Yeah he stutters once and a while in his promos, but they are still better than half the roster's. And he's had a lot of really great matches.

Also, his selling is off the charts. I remember he took a stunner once and landed halfway hanging off the ropes. And it was realistic. Not over dramatic like Micheals and the Rock. Actually marked out for that particular sell, tbh.

You guys have to at least admit that he takes an excellent ass kicking.Rest holds are an issue with the guy. to be so yong and in the shape he is in his work ethic is very poor. He has had some fasntstic matches, but some VERY bland ones as well. I gotta say though, claiming that he is good at taking as whippings, well you might as well say he should be a jobber. Becasue thats what jobbers are meant to do. And if that is his best quality I can't see why he should be an exception.

AJHayes
09-12-2006, 08:00 AM
He's good when he's not failing drug tests, pooping in purses, or using too many rest holds.

Or going AWOL from a very easy duty station.

Kane Knight
09-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Orton's pretty shitty in the ring. His promos seem to have gotten worse. I've stuck up for him in the past, but dear Lord.

Fignuts
09-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Rest holds are an issue with the guy. to be so yong and in the shape he is in his work ethic is very poor. He has had some fasntstic matches, but some VERY bland ones as well. I gotta say though, claiming that he is good at taking as whippings, well you might as well say he should be a jobber. Becasue thats what jobbers are meant to do. And if that is his best quality I can't see why he should be an exception.

In that regard, You can call Flair and Triple H jobbers as well. I'm not saying he's good at getting squashed. Hell, I could do that. I'm saying his selling is good. I.e. when he gets hit with a move his eaction is great. And I'm not saying he's the best wrestler on the roster, just that he deserves more credit than he's given.

And why is he an asshole? He never shit in anyone's bag. He put some lotions and other misc things in her purse. And it was done to a diva whose name I can't remember, and who didn't even give a shit about the business. She didn't know who Orton was, and he was the world freaking champion at the time. He SHOULD have shit in her purse.

Y2Jeremy
09-12-2006, 11:53 AM
The only reason you say his promos are better than half the roster is because half the roster is not give mic time to outshine him. As stated above, he has the look, but his wrestling "skills" are basic to say the least, and there is nothing starlike about him. Plus, his attitude is that of a superstar, but he hasn't the talent to warrant it. Test or Val should be in his position. If his daddy wasn't a wrestler, he would not be on the roster.

XL
09-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Orton's pretty shitty in the ring. His promos seem to have gotten worse. I've stuck up for him in the past, but dear Lord.

Kinda my sentiments.

I always liked Orton. Granted he isn't great in the ring but he is passable. He isn't great on the mic but he is passable.

My beef with Orton is the fact that he IS the future of the WWE. I don't mind that in and of itself, it's all the backstage stuff. Putting crap in people's bags, pouring drinks over people, getting caught out on the Wellness Program (twice is it now?) and all the stories of arrogance.

Randy could be THE future player but I think he knows this too well. He's never really been punished for any of the stunts he's pulled. He knows WWE are high on him, he knows that they want to build him as the go to guy for the future and he seems to be using that to his advantage.

I swear one more story about him and I'll lose any respect that I had for him.

I read he is working on his CV work which should bring an end to the amount of restholds he uses. As long as he books his ideas up, matures a little and brings his A game in terms of work ethic for training AND performing he can be gold.

Kane Knight
09-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Orton is not liked and could never be a lockerroom leader as such, and if this keeps up, it's bad for wrestling backstage. Unless he becomes a better entertainer (And I like him mostly for his promise, but a promise only goes so far), it will be bad for wrestling up front.

Just John
09-12-2006, 02:08 PM
In ring: Greatness, remember when he reversed the west coast pop into an RKO, he got back up with such a cocky look it was amazing

Out of ring: Seems full of himself, and if the taking a shit in a bag is true, he is sick.

Thats sums him up for me.

Kane Knight
09-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Wow. one moment really makes me confident in his in-ring abilities.

Mr. JL
09-12-2006, 05:18 PM
I liked him back in 2004 after he had just beaten Mick Foley. He was THE reason I watched RAW for a bunch of months. Though, ever since they pushed him in the World Title scene and made him a typical face I've just been bored.

He has his moments, such as his match with RVD, Christian and the chokeslam he reversed into a RKO, but generally he adds nothing new or exciting. It's like he found his basic moveset and is now content with half assing his way around matches using that moveset.

Just John
09-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Wow. one moment really makes me confident in his in-ring abilities.

It just kinda summed up what he was all about IMO

Kane Knight
09-12-2006, 06:06 PM
It just kinda summed up what he was all about IMO--One or two big spots that make people forget about his subpar in-ring ability.

BigDaddyCool
09-12-2006, 06:35 PM
I'll stand up and say that I hate Randy Orton. Why? Because he is pretty fucking lame. His promos suck, he in ring work is just about crap, and he is an asshole back stage. If that is all he did, I wouldn't hate him, but the fact that he still gets pushed so hard is why I hate him. For some reason WWE feels the need to give this kid chance after chance only for him to suck and get caught doing drugs. The guy pisses me off at almost every level.

Also, there will be a time, probably soon with the rate the old guard are getting injured and retiring when Randy Orton as the future will be now. When that happens and Randy is expected to carry the company it will be complete crap. Then Vince is going to learn the hard way that just because someone is a 3rd generation wrestler doesn't make them a star.

Vocal Ass Chic
09-12-2006, 06:39 PM
...it was done to a diva whose name I can't remember, and who didn't even give a shit about the business. She didn't know who Orton was, and he was the world freaking champion at the time. He SHOULD have shit in her purse.

:love:

Crippla
09-12-2006, 07:01 PM
I like Orton. Orton isn't that bad in the ring(he's a lot better than Batista.) and is a good heel IMO. I mean most of the time people judge him solely on his backstage antics and the fact that he can be an asshole but you can't deny he is talented.

Disturbed316
09-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Why cause he pulled a couple pranks backstage, that were completely blown out of preportion?

lol totally blew the chance of a great pun there.

M-A-G
09-12-2006, 10:30 PM
I like Orton. Orton isn't that bad in the ring(he's a lot better than Batista.) and is a good heel IMO. I mean most of the time people judge him solely on his backstage antics and the fact that he can be an asshole but you can't deny he is talented.

No, I will deny his talent considering he hasn't had a blowaway match since his feud with Mick Foley. People love to say he's had some great matches. Yeah, SOME. Undertaker, Foley, Flair, and Kurt Angle. Look at the types of people he's had those few great matches with. The guys just bland and he just happens to have a nickname attached to him (The Legend Killer is NOT a gimmick considering they don't do squat with it) and a good look. Being "passable" might cut it for mid-card but when you want to talk about the future of the business you're talking about people who can draw big time and appeal to the masses. Orton is not that kind of people.

James Steele
09-13-2006, 12:24 AM

You guys have to at least admit that he takes an excellent ass kicking.

:rofl:

I took you seriously until you got to "stutters once and awhile" and completely starting laughing when you sayd "he's had a lot of really great matches."

James Steele
09-13-2006, 12:27 AM
I'll stand up and say that I hate Randy Orton. Why? Because he is pretty fucking lame. His promos suck, he in ring work is just about crap, and he is an asshole back stage. If that is all he did, I would hate him, but the fact that he still gets pushed so hard is why I hate him. For some reason WWE feels the need to give this kid chance after chance only for him to suck and get caught doing drugs. The guy pisses me off at almost every level.

Also, there will be a time, probably soon with the rate the old guard are getting injured and retiring when Randy Orton as the future will be now. When that happens and Randy is expected to carry the company it will be complete crap. Then Vince is going to learn the hard way that just because someone is a 3rd generation wrestler doesn't make them a star.

:heart:

Vastardikai
09-13-2006, 03:45 AM
Why do I hate Orton?

Part of it has to do with Angle-Orton from ONS2. If you saw that match, Orton was blown up before he even got any offense in. Orton, despite his look and physique, isn't in shape. He only LOOKS like he's in shape. A far cry from someone like Dusty Rhodes, who was Original Cartman, but could work for an hour a night if need-be.

Secondly, his mic skills. I remember one major thought watching the Evolution Promo from WMXX: Why was ORTON doing the talking when Flair was in the background, cocky smile on his face? The promo itself seemed pre-recorded, as opposed to the more electric and exiting Rock and Sock promo later-on. Two years later, Orton gets schooled in a promo by Batista. Let me repeat that sentence: Two years later, Orton gets schooled in a promo by Batista. Batista has never been this great charismatic interview on par with the Rock, but when you do better than the guy who is supposed to be the FUTURE OF THIS BUSINESS as badly as he did... c'mon.

Third part of my problem is his push. He's treated like the Messiah of Wrestling by some (John Lauranitis, much of TPWW). He's got potential, to be honest. But so did Luger, and that never quite panned out, did it? WWE has had 4 Third Generation Stars, to the best of my knowledge. Only 3 of them are any good in the ring (Rock, Chavo, and Finlay). Fun fact, they don't have to say "Third Generation star" about the Rock or Finlay. They did early in the Rock's career, but when he got his bearings, they made reference to his personality, not who his father and grandfather were. As for Finlay, they just talk about how he's a bad ass.

If they want to make a star based on Pedigree, the best bet would be Carlito. He has better Mic Skills than Orton and he's an all around better performer. The fans also react better to his character. He was over as a heel for months and his finish was a roll-up using the ropes. Hell, call up Ray Gordy and see what he can do.

I hate Orton because he doesn't seem to have the love of the business. It comes across as if he's only doing this because of the paycheck.

St. Jimmy
09-13-2006, 05:30 AM
When he was a babyface and was the champ, I loved him. Now he's a completely different person, who IMO sucks ass.

Crippla
09-13-2006, 03:06 PM
I hated Orton as a babyface. I liked him best in his Evolution days.

Y2Jeremy
09-13-2006, 03:35 PM
The only time Orton was a standalone star was RNN. someone else said it earlier

Skippord
09-13-2006, 05:09 PM
The only match I really remember liking was the one with Benoit at Summerslam.

but remember to watch out for THE HEADLOCK OF DEATH

Caged Heat18
09-13-2006, 05:18 PM
I was a really big fan of Orton during his Evolution days in late 2003 and for the majority of 2004 until he turned face. I enjoyed his feud with Foley a lot, and the legend killer gimmick was really working. However, since he turned face and then back heel again he just isn't the same. I liked him, but now I don't.

Anybody Thrilla
09-13-2006, 05:46 PM
In regards to the match with Kurt Angle at ONS2, he said in an interview that Kurt was shooting on him at the beginning of the match. I guess it was supposed to be some kind of punishment. I don't know if he was blown up as much as he might have just been frustrated trying to legitimately outwrestle Kurt Angle.

Kane Knight
09-13-2006, 05:55 PM
The only time Orton was a standalone star was RNN. someone else said it earlier

Orton wasn't ready to stand alone. But WWE want a new era of Rocks and Austins, and so they pushed him to the moon. The problem is, once the training wheels were off, Orton fell off his bike. They shot their load too soon on him, and they're not going to recoup him the way they're going. Also, they need a better way of punishing people.

Volare
09-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Orton is *IMO* one of the best heels in the last 5 years...

Evolution, Beating Foley AT MSG during WM 20 was gold

I also liked the way he portrayed the IC title.

Fignuts
09-13-2006, 09:30 PM
I never said I agreed with the way he was pushed. Just didn't get why everyone hates him. I think his push was far too rushed. Batista/Triple H is what Orton/Triple H should have been.

Also, if you can make a judgement on someone's character based off of internet dirt sheets, without actually knowing what happened in a given situation, or knowing anyone involved, then yes I guess he's an asshole.

I bet most of you read the national enquirer.

M-A-G
09-13-2006, 11:54 PM
So his time off from TV was what, maternity leave?

.44 Magdalene
09-14-2006, 01:11 AM
I know that he comes off as an overconfident prick in out of character interviews for radio shows and such.

Might not be enough for me to hate the guy--and I don't--but it is enough for me to not really care for him personally...and again, his fairly mediocre wrestling ability makes me fail to care for him professionally as well. Over all, pretty unspectacular.

Vastardikai
09-14-2006, 02:17 AM
In regards to the match with Kurt Angle at ONS2, he said in an interview that Kurt was shooting on him at the beginning of the match. I guess it was supposed to be some kind of punishment. I don't know if he was blown up as much as he might have just been frustrated trying to legitimately outwrestle Kurt Angle.

He was Sucking more air than Mega-Maid during Spaceballs. He barely got up for the dropkick. Mat Wrestling does wear you out, and if he was half as conditioned as people claim he is, he wouldn't have been so pooped after the first few minutes. There's also the issue of the Royal Rumble 04. Orton was taking alot of breathers in that one, as well. (He and a blown up Steiner rolling around the mat, anyone? How about Angle looking at a Slumped Orton, who just put his hands up.)

I also understood it to be what it was: Orton getting taken to the woodshed by somebody who could make it look like part of the match. And that, quite frankly, was the funniest part. Apart from the fish hooking from the rear mount and Orton just going straight down.