PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling is cool

The Naitch
09-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Only if they can formulate and emulate the Attitude Era 'formula' with different characters. If Cena was edgier, if Carlito acted like The Rock, etc etc

They have to use the same formula. Let the boys run with it without limitations and all that shit

2003 Cena vs. Carlito = :drool: or vice versa.

Edge is basically the 'Triple H' of 2005. He has pretty much established himself as the top heel this year and I respect that. Too bad Christian left for TNA :nono:

D Mac
09-22-2006, 01:59 PM
Orton has it.

McLegend
09-22-2006, 02:34 PM
They want Carlito to act like Rock, and ever since then his character as just died.

He did get quite a big pop in Canada though.

CM Punk
09-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Carlito made a comment to Orton a few weeks ago that was very "Rockish" about Ortons pose and i thought right away oh man this is not going to be good for Carlito's character

D Mac
09-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Orton uses the people's eyebrow. :shifty:

The Naitch
09-22-2006, 03:11 PM
holy shit, it's CM Punk!

jindrak
09-22-2006, 11:06 PM
The future of wrestling commentating is Josh Matthews. That is all.

ron the dial
09-22-2006, 11:11 PM
I don't understand the obsession with making today's wrestling completely reminsicent of the Attitude Era. Yes, the WWF was successful then but rehashing exactly what they did back then isn't going to solve the problem that they have now. They need to create something new for the fans to get behind. Sure, borrowing from the past is part of what wrestling is all about, but you have to wait until the ideas are fresh again. It's way too soon to begin relying on the success of less than ten years ago.

OverTaker
09-22-2006, 11:15 PM
Hogan now is sorta like Jesse Ventura back in attitude days.

Anybody Thrilla
09-23-2006, 04:50 AM
I don't understand the obsession with making today's wrestling completely reminsicent of the Attitude Era. Yes, the WWF was successful then but rehashing exactly what they did back then isn't going to solve the problem that they have now. They need to create something new for the fans to get behind. Sure, borrowing from the past is part of what wrestling is all about, but you have to wait until the ideas are fresh again. It's way too soon to begin relying on the success of less than ten years ago.

I've heard that the unofficial waiting period for recycling things in wrestling is seven years. They're not too far off.

Mr. Nerfect
09-23-2006, 05:49 AM
I honestly think that changing the commentators would make the WWE a better place.

Replace Jim Ross with Joey Styles (again). Styles is the best play-by-play guy the WWE has. Replace Jerry Lawler with JBL. Lawler sucks ass these days. Then have Michael Cole joined by Tazz on SmackDown!. They had good chemistry. Who does ECW? Josh Mathews and Paul Heyman. I know Paul is playing the heel owner role on ECW, but can you imagine if he did it from the announce table. Mathews knows how to call a match. ECW can be the testing grounds for him, to see if he has the balls to go live.

As far as replicating the Attitude era goes, fine, I'm all for it. It just sucks ass that when they try, they fall flat on their faces. DX used to be controversial. Now they're just juvenile. The Rock acted like The Rock because he was The Rock. Carlito should act like Carlito because he is Carlito. Have all the corny gimmicks dropped by guys who move up. In other words: Drop The Spirit Squad but push Ken Doane, Johnny Jeter, Mike Mondo, Nick Nemeth and Nick Mitchell. Drop Umaga and push Jamal. It could work. The reason Kevin Nash and Scott Hall go over was because they weren't playing characters anymore.

Also, for God's sake, be surprising. That is what worked about the Attitude era. It not only pretended to push things, it was surprising. What the WWE needs is someone to beat the shit out of John Cena whilst masked, using a baseball bat. Let him go off and promote The Marine, have a RAW Royal Rumble to crown the new WWE Champion.

Retire the Vince McMahon character. Have Vince pass on ownership of the company to Shane McMahon (storyline-wise). Shane is not as stale, and it would signify a new era for the WWE.

I think the brand thing is great, but they need to switch things around sometimes. Have all the Champions appear everywhere, or I dunno. Have guys run-in and attack people for no reason at all. Just have Test and Mike Knox attack randomly, and then have it go nowhere.

Shake things up! That's what the WWE needs. Right now they are episodic. It feels like they think no more than an episode at a time. This can be good, but if they're going to do that, they can't think of the consequences. You can't play it safe and book for the moment at the same time. It's either long-term or crazy. The Attitude era was pretty crazy, and then things got into a groove where they built. Austin's antics became episodic.

I'm not sure if I am making any sense, but I think the way to make the WWE exciting again is to just cut loose. Have Gregory Helms appear on RAW, have Kane get rid of Umaga with a Chokeslam off the stage, even though he is not injured, and there are no plans to drop the character. Have guys all screaming for attention, up and down the card. Anytime a good guy needs a friend for a Handicap Match, every single person should be willing to stand-up and jump into war, just for the attention. Rob Conway could main event one week, Funaki the next and John Cena the week after. Just make it unpredictable.

My recommended style of booking is the "OZ" style of booking. For anyone who has watched the HBO show, you know how hectic it was. It was obvious who the stars were, but it wasn't strange to see them killed by a lower charatcer. Everyone banded together, everyone had developments that made them more likeable, or less likeable, and people would come for an episode and would be gone the next. Make RAW, ECW, Heat and SmackDown! "can't miss" shows.

Rammsteinmad
09-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Great post. Exactly what the WWE needs. :y:

ron the dial
09-23-2006, 11:44 AM
I agree with a lot of what Alienoid has to say. Being chaotic and unpredictable is exactly what the WWE needs. Last Monday I did not see that "six pack challenge" coming, and it made me want to watch. The in-ring action didn't deliver like I would have liked it to, but that's another issue entirely. The point is that I was interested in the Intercontinental belt for the first time in a long while. Apply that formula to the rest of the card, and WWE might get something going here real soon.

redoneja
09-23-2006, 02:12 PM
My recommended style of booking is the "OZ" style of booking.

So you want a big black Muslim named Adebesi to rape some little white guy? :?:

Anybody Thrilla
09-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Alienoid, that is ridiculous. People already bitch about the WWE not making sense, and you sound like you're trying to make it even more senseless. Would you REALLY want to see Funaki in a main event? I sure as shit wouldn't, especially if I was attending the event live.

I think Raw feels pretty fresh right now, to be honest. That 6 pack thing was pretty cool. We're seeing some matches we haven't seen before. There's an influx of new (and returning characters). I think right now, they've got potential for great entertainment.

Mr. Nerfect
09-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Alienoid, that is ridiculous. People already bitch about the WWE not making sense, and you sound like you're trying to make it even more senseless. Would you REALLY want to see Funaki in a main event? I sure as shit wouldn't, especially if I was attending the event live.

I think Raw feels pretty fresh right now, to be honest. That 6 pack thing was pretty cool. We're seeing some matches we haven't seen before. There's an influx of new (and returning characters). I think right now, they've got potential for great entertainment.

I know it sounds crazy, but if you're going to try and make your program "edgy" you need levels of unpredictability. Far more than what the WWE has now.

Some of my best memories as a fan are when the little guy stood up to the big guy. I marked out during The Hardy Boyz vs. Two Man Power Trip feud. I loved seeing Kane dominate in the 2001 Royal Rumble. Right now it's John Cena, John Cena, John Cena, Batista/Lashley, Batista/Lashley, Batista/Lashley. Shake things up!

Funaki main eventing may be a little extreme, but I certainly wouldn't mind it if King Booker was offended by him on an edition of SmackDown!, and challenged him to a match, thinking it would be a breeze. Funaki holds his own, but King Booker gets control and finishes him off. Booker's main event opponent has the referee distracted, though, and Booker takes his eyes off the ball, roll-up, Funaki wins!

I also like it when face and heel alignments are tested. The feeling of satisfaction I got during Johnny Nitro and Randy Orton's exchange on RAW was quite exhilerating. It makes me wonder how awesome the WWE could be if they put faces in the ring with faces, and heels in the ring with heels more often.

One of the WWE's biggest faults is that it doesn't know how to use talent. Just push them for a night. It would be fun, and it could get them over. Chris Masters wants to give out a Masterlock Challenge, who accepts? Why, it's fellow heel Rob Conway. The Iron Man says he is sick and tired of being overlooked, and he's going to take whatever chance he can to get a break in the industry. Masters laughs, and Conway sits the chair. Masters turns away because he is laughing so hard, Conway sees this on the titantron, quickly snaps up the steel chair, and cracks it off the back of Masters.

Why the WWE hasn't thrown Paul London & Brian Kendrick into the ring with Finlay & Regal yet is beyond me. Why not give Chuck Palumbo a try-out match, but have him lose? Stuff that builds because it doesn't build. Stuff that just makes the characters deeper, and when they finally do where that gold, it will be all the more meaningful because of it. If everyone had something going on, and everyone had a chance to win a match, lose a match, or simply appear on television, being a Champion would mean so much more. As it stands right now, the titles mean jack shit.

The WWE doesn't make sense right now because it lacks logic. Vince McMahon has a problem with DX so he books himself in a Hell in a Cell Match against them. Hmm, OK. Why not just send Shawn Michaels to SmackDown!? That's logical. If professional wrestling was real, don't you think that John Cena would get the shit beaten out of him every week, just so people can get the spotlight on themselves. That's what I think the WWE needs. Everyone needs to have ADD and scream "Look at me!" all the time. That's how you'd weed out the real personalities from the paper-thin ones forced by management.

Mr. Nerfect
09-23-2006, 09:56 PM
Have everyone write their own promos, have everyone script their own matches. Make things more "real" by having the performers do everything they can to get over.