PDA

View Full Version : Could Angle make a long title run accepted in mainstream american wrestling?

Fignuts
09-28-2006, 12:05 AM
I'm talking Kenta Kobashi long. Two years at least.
It can't be done in WWE. At least not right now. The problem there is that
the belts are defended almost every week. And add the fact that clean finishes are few and far between, and its no wonder fans don't have the patience for a long title reign.

Fans the world over loved every minute of Kobashi's reign, and would probably have followed it even longer had it not ended when it did. Part of it may have to do with the differences in the fanbase, but I think that there were three major factors.

1. The title was defended far less frquently- All belts in Japan are defended on a less frequent basis than wwe. This makes each title defense feel so much bigger. And it allows a much longer time to properly build to a match.

2. Clean Finishes- Most, if not all of Kobashi's matches were clean finishes. Since there are less storylines in Japan, I think you would have to throw a few controversial endings in there in Angle's run, but if done properly, and sparingly, it would not hurt the credibility of the champion, or championship.

3. In-ring Talent- This is the reason why I think Angle is the only one who can pull this off. Fans loved Kobashi's run because his matches were consistently awesome. Even if he had to carry a lesser talent. But in america, were great wrestling takes a backseat to charisma, you need someone akin to a god to fill this role. Enter Kurt Angle. He's so damn good even the marks can see it. And since he also, has that charisma which is so important in an american ring, he would have all the bases covered.
I think being in TNA, he could definitly pull this off. The title is defended on a similar basis in TNA as it is in Japan. So a two year reign at least, without any fan backlash is possible IMO.

Also, yes I know, another Angle thread. But at least this is a decent question rather than another deathwatch thread.

Thoughts?

What Would Kevin Do?
09-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Brian Danielson....

What Would Kevin Do?
09-28-2006, 12:09 AM
AKA

American Fucking Dragon.

Skippord
09-28-2006, 12:13 AM
Yes

Fignuts
09-28-2006, 12:14 AM
Title says MAINSTREAM american wrestling.

aka TNA and WWE

ROH fans are a very different crowd than the bigger companies. ROH fans would be happy with anyone as champion for a decade as long as they put on good matches every defense. Doing it in WWE and TNA would be a lot trickier.

.44 Magdalene
09-28-2006, 12:23 AM
I could easily have a boner for Kurt holding the title over a year, maybe a year and a half. Any more than that, and I'm not real sure. I'd have to see it happen, I guess...if they could make it a good run, I could probably watch it for even longer than that. Just depends on how well it was pulled off...

...which is the problem. With Jeff Jarret in town, consider this impossible.

What Would Kevin Do?
09-28-2006, 12:33 AM
You're asking about mainstream and including TNA?

Destor
09-28-2006, 12:35 AM
They ahve a TV deal at least...

Fignuts
09-28-2006, 12:36 AM
Fine. Relativly Mainstream.

Gulak
09-28-2006, 12:37 AM
No because he's going to die.

Gulak
09-28-2006, 12:40 AM
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/6407/untitledij3.png (http://imageshack.us)

Jeritron
09-28-2006, 12:43 AM
I'm not saying its a bad idea, but TNA is making steps to try and compete with WWE. Putting their title on one guy for that long of a time is not gonna be what keeps people watching. They've got huge interest in Kurt Angle and people will tune in to see him debut and make his push for the title, which he'll certainly win just about off the bat. But then what? People in this day and age arent gonna tune in every week to see him snapping ankles and no selling for a year or two. I'd like to see an initial run where we see him take on his new compettitors and then in some way or another down the road lose it (contreversially? as a result of another debuting big name?) and then take some time off from their title and work other nontitle fueds but maintain a top spot, hopefully with them booking more big names along the way to have runs and fresh matches.

But it'll prob be hot potato with the belt between him and Jarret until it gets old and nobody watches...

Caged Heat18
09-28-2006, 12:44 AM
I think it could work, but it has to depend on more than just the guy who's holding the belt. He needs to be booked right, and put interesting feuds. I mean if he was forced to feud with Jarrett for six months plus, than it would probably flop. But if he was booked in good feuds, with say people like Samoa Joe, and Christopher Daniels, and Christian than I could see it working. Your almost guaranteed an awesome match with Angle, and he's one of the few who is always on his game.

But of course wrestling fans change their mind fairly quickly and could get so bored of him they turn on him.

Caged Heat18
09-28-2006, 12:44 AM
No because he's going to die.

I would think that would end the title reign.

BigDaddyCool
09-28-2006, 12:49 AM
I would like to see Kurt put over some TNA homegrown talent. That is the only way TNA will grow.

Jeritron
09-28-2006, 12:55 AM
Would a placed that calls themselves TOTAL NON-STOP ACTION have the belt stay put for an extended period of time?
Can't really testify since I'm not a viewer yet, but it seems everytime I've had it on someone different has the title and theres like 6 guys fueding for it at the same time.
Am I the only person who wants that peice of trash hybrid of Mankind/Kane they try to pass off as Abyss off the air or at least out of their main event picture?

Fignuts
09-28-2006, 12:59 AM
I like Abyss, tbh.

His matches are often better than Kane's, imo. Not a knock on Kane either cause I like him too.

Destor
09-28-2006, 01:01 AM
When you are trying to establish yourself I don't think a long title reign is the wisest of descisions...

Pepsi Man
09-28-2006, 11:51 AM
The WWE Title isn't defended EVERY week, at least not on television. On television, you're looking at two or three times a month, tops. Honestly, if the title's not defended at least once a month, it loses meaning to me anyway.

Clean finishes? Meh, I'm not a supporter of having EVERY match end in a clusterfuck or anything, but heels should probably go over the top and either get themselves disqualified sometimes (if they're the challengers and aren't meant to win) or continuously find ways to retain the title "by hook or by crook".

Rob
09-28-2006, 11:56 AM
It can work with anyone credible. It's the booking that is the problem.

Pepsi Man
09-28-2006, 11:59 AM
It can work with anyone credible. It's the booking that is the problem.
And what have you got against Justin?!:mad: :rant:

Kane Knight
09-28-2006, 12:16 PM
I would think that would end the title reign.

Dunno. Didn't stop Eddie.

I vote yes, but it's a bit of a longshot with the way TNA runs things. However, if they did it right, this could be fucking huge.