PDA

View Full Version : I don't get how people can compare Umaga to Samoa Joe.

KingofOldSchool
09-28-2006, 12:45 PM
I mean seriously, other than them being Samoan, they have nothing in common.

1. Umaga has a manager, Joe doesn't.
2. Their move sets are completely different. I don't recall Samoa Joe use any version of the Asiatic Spike as a finisher. And I don't recall Umaga using a Muscle Buster or a variation of the Triangle Choke.
3. Joe talks, Umaga doesn't.
4. Joe is an all arounder, Umaga is strictly a brawler.
5. Umaga has tribal "tattoos," Joes has nothing.
6. If Umaga is a copy of anyone, it would be the Headshrinkers, The SST, Wild Samoans, etc.
7. Joe wasn't the first wrestler who was pushed with an undefeated streak. So if we can go that route then Joe is a rip off of Goldberg.

I just wanted to get that off my chest.

Stickman
09-28-2006, 12:50 PM
I mean seriously, other than them being Samoan, they have nothing in common.

You answered your own question. Rascist stereotypes might be the root of it. Not to take a shot at Americans, but very rarly do you see a white guy on Cops. This relates to wrestling. Wrestler A and B are the same colour, therefore the similarities are endless.

KingofOldSchool
09-28-2006, 12:53 PM
You answered your own question. Rascist stereotypes might be the root of it. Not to take a shot at Americans, but very rarly do you see a white guy on Cops. This relates to wrestling. Wrestler A and B are the same colour, therefore the similarities are endless.

So we can compare Samoa Joe to Rikishi then, right?

Samoa Joe is just like Rikishi! ohmigawd.

And Haku, Afa, Sika, The Rock, Jimmy Snuka, Peter Maivia, and every other Samoan wrestler to ever exsist.

KingofOldSchool
09-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Oh and when talking about white American stereotypes.

*cough*KerwinWhite*cough*

ron the dial
09-28-2006, 12:56 PM
I heard the comparisons when Umaga first showed up, but I haven't heard much lately. Probably because, like you said, the only similarity between the two is being Samoan and all that comes along with that.

KingofOldSchool
09-28-2006, 12:58 PM
I heard the comparisons when Umaga first showed up, but I haven't heard much lately. Probably because, like you said, the only similarity between the two is being Samoan and all that comes along with that.

Someone, I forget who, made the comparison in the Raw thread. And I've still heard it elsewhere.

Stickman
09-28-2006, 12:59 PM
So we can compare Samoa Joe to Rikishi then, right?

Samoa Joe is just like Rikishi! ohmigawd.

And Haku, Afa, Sika, The Rock, Jimmy Snuka, Peter Maivia, and every other Samoan wrestler to ever exsist.

Some dumbass did ask if Haku and Umaga were the same guy.

Kane Knight
09-28-2006, 12:59 PM
That and they went out of their way to push the character after Joe didn't come to WWE, brought in the name "Samoan Smashing Machine," Which is incredibly close to the "Samoam Submission Machine," played him up on a winning streak...

Yeah, probably just racism. It's not like WWE has subtly tried to link the two.

Xero
09-28-2006, 01:01 PM
I have honestly always thought that Umaga is an inside shot at Joe.

Y2Jeremy
09-28-2006, 01:10 PM
I think so too. An unstoppable samoan monster. That is the comparision, not looks or moves. Just like Goldberg was a shot at Ken Shamrock.

ron the dial
09-28-2006, 01:12 PM
I think so too. An unstoppable samoan monster. That is the comparision, not looks or moves. Just like Goldberg was a shot at Ken Shamrock.
Really? I've never heard that before, and I can't say that I see the comparison.

Pepsi Man
09-28-2006, 01:18 PM
They're also both fat.

owenbrown
09-28-2006, 01:37 PM
<-----Blames the wrestling marks for the comparison. :shifty:

Kane Knight
09-28-2006, 01:48 PM
I think so too. An unstoppable samoan monster. That is the comparision, not looks or moves. Just like Goldberg was a shot at Gilberg.

:shifty:

Dave Youell
09-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Aside from the fact that they are both tanned.

They both adopt a strong striking style, which is where I think it can be seen they are the same in some respects.

Like that running ass thing Umaga does, kind of like a face wash I guess.

No one can honestly say they are the same with regards to look and style, but if there's anyone in the WWE who's looks and wrestles like Joe it's Umaga, but not in a good way

.44 Magdalene
09-28-2006, 04:36 PM
I was the one who made the crack in the RAW thread...and what KK said. I firmly believe--and this is me talking, and I'm mentally challenged, so don't take this too seriously--that Umaga is at least slightly a shot at Joe. Samoan Bulldozer, Samoan Submission Machine. Slightly overweight build. Undefeated streak. I'm not at all saying they're similar, Jesus Christ no. I just think Umaga is to Samoa Joe what Oklahoma was to Jim Ross, and what Gilberg was to Goldberg. I know I don't have much to go off of, but I'm not real sure how much more obvious they could make it without hiring a GOOD overweight Samoan wrestler and naming him Joey Samoey, and making him do a Hustle Crusher.

.44 Magdalene
09-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Also, a friend of mine did neg rep me for saying that Umaga was a poor man's Samoa Joe in the thread in question, if that makes anyone feel better.

Dave Youell
09-29-2006, 03:10 AM
Woah Critic, granted Umaga is no Joe, but the guys talented, he's had some decent matches since his debut and I like his move set, so to say they should of signed a GOOD samoan...who did you have in mind? Kish? S.H.I.T?

Gulak
09-29-2006, 03:15 AM
Also they're both fat.
Yea. They're both fat, samoan, and undefeated.

St. Jimmy
09-29-2006, 03:15 PM
They both squash people, they're both over-rated, they're both coloured, and they're both a waste of airtime.

How can you not see that?

.44 Magdalene
09-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Woah Critic, granted Umaga is no Joe, but the guys talented, he's had some decent matches since his debut and I like his move set, so to say they should of signed a GOOD samoan...who did you have in mind? Kish? S.H.I.T?

He's alright, I guess, but I wouldn't call him good. I can't imagine him even being memorable if he didn't have Armando, let alone getting anywhere near over as anything but generic. I can't say I have a list of talented overweight Samoans on hand...and for that matter, I can't say they SHOULD have signed somebody else in Umaga's place. For the role he fills, he'll do. He doesn't totally piss me off...he just doesn't interest me. Doesn't seem necessary, when they could just as easily be pushing better, already established guys instead of throwing Umaga into the shuffle, when it's pretty clear the character's not gonna stick for too long.

Fuck scouring the indies for a better fat Samoan guy to job everybody out to. I'd just be happier if he weren't there in any form...like I said, I think he's just a shot at Joe. It doesn't seem like Umaga has anything more long term going for him, except being McMahon's on-and-off monster lackey when the Big Show's busy, a role that could just as easily be filled by any other big guy (Kane, for example). Armando will stop managing him, he'll crop up every so often, maybe go to Smackdown, and then probably disappear when the fans fail to give a rat's ass.

Skippord
09-30-2006, 08:49 PM
They both squash people, they're both over-rated, they're both coloured, and they're both a waste of airtime.

How can you not see that?
:love:

Volare
09-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Well, here's another comparison.

Umaga (Aka Rosey) is a repackaged wrestler that seems to be working well with his new gimmic.

Samoa Joe was never repackaged, same style at any show, and has sold well where ever he wrestles.

Juan
09-30-2006, 09:23 PM
I've never seen a Samoa Joe match, but if he wrestles anything like Umaga, he probably blows too.

Volare
09-30-2006, 09:29 PM
nowhere near it

Skippord
09-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Umaga(aka Jamal)

Fignuts
09-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Umaga is actually a lot better than he appears.

Like so many other good in-ring talents, his true potential has been stunted to fit wwe's style. The guy is also very agile. Seen him do a split legged moonsault several times.

KingofOldSchool
10-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Sorry for the bump but this came from Samoa Joe's MySpace page.

On Samoa Joe's MySpace page (myspace.com/joeism), he was asked about WWE's Umaga. Here is his response:

Q. Dear Joe what do you think about Umaga? Is he a ripoff of you?

A. I think Umaga is a strong Hamo in the struggle and I hope he wrecks everyone over there. Ahh not the answer you where expecting? Honestly I am more than happy for the success Umaga is enjoying in the WWE. By the way what is with people saying he is a rip off of me? Honestly thats like comparing Bad News Allen to Samba Simba. GET that lazy ass comparison bullsh!% out of here. As for him being undefeated good on him. I don't know if yall noticed but in Pro Wrestling Circles Samoans are usually on average MUCH better that .500.

M-A-G
10-22-2006, 02:10 AM
They both work stiff as hell so toss another similarity on the fire.

Kane Knight
10-22-2006, 09:08 AM
They're both overrated. But at least Umaga is a cartoony overrated character, while Joe is a bloody farce supposed to be taken seriously.

Batsu
10-22-2006, 10:13 AM
Also, a friend of mine did neg rep me for saying that Umaga was a poor man's Samoa Joe in the thread in question, if that makes anyone feel better.

LOL @ this.
As KK so sneakily said earlier, it's a subtle knock at Joe, for even introducing
Umaga in WWE and playing up his Samoan heritage. If it weren't for the
fact of Joe being in the closest thing to nationally televised "competition",
Vince wouldn't have thought to bring out the Gimmick Wayback Machine and
reintroduce "Jamal" as "Headshrinker '06".

Afterlife
10-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Well, here's another comparison.

Umaga (Aka Rosey) is a repackaged wrestler that seems to be working well with his new gimmic.

Samoa Joe was never repackaged, same style at any show, and has sold well where ever he wrestles.

If you're gonna claim someone is a repackaged wrestler, at least get him right. I bet you told WWE that Tom Spear was dead.

Kane Knight
10-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Honestly, who could tell the difference between 3MW anyway?

ron the dial
10-22-2006, 01:26 PM
They're both overrated. But at least Umaga is a cartoony overrated character, while Joe is a bloody farce supposed to be taken seriously.
Wow. Apparently not being cartoony and having loads of talent makes you an overrated farce. I must have missed that memo.

Lock Jaw
10-22-2006, 01:35 PM
On IMPACT for a moment I thought Mike Tenay was bringing out Umaga. Because he was all like "Allow me to introduce to you... The Undefeated Saaammmmoan..... Submission Machine."

Afterlife
10-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Honestly, who could tell the difference between 3MW anyway?

Well, to be honest, I did only catch onto the differences about the time Jamal got fired and 3MW disipated. But Rosey was around for 2.5 years after that, and we kinda got to know him.

Besides, if I said "Undertaker (aka IsaacYankem)", I'd get shit on for being an idiot. So I'm just saying, it's best to know what you're talking about when you're talking about identities.

Kane Knight
10-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Wow. Apparently not being cartoony and having loads of talent makes you an overrated farce. I must have missed that memo.

Wow. Apparently you're so skilled with the English language, you can read invisible words and derive meaning from them.

I bow to you. Us mere mortals are left to interpret only the words that are actually there. :roll:

You stupid cunt.

Skippord
10-22-2006, 02:43 PM
I agree

HeartBreakMan2k
10-22-2006, 11:29 PM
You're right, Umaga isn't a rip of Joe; HOWEVER, Joe is a huge rip of Taz.

CM Punk
10-23-2006, 02:53 AM
You're right, Umage isn't a rip of Joe; HOWEVER, Joe is a huge rip of Taz.

Destor
10-23-2006, 02:55 AM
You're right, Umage isn't a rip of Joe; HOWEVER, Joe is a huge rip of Taz.I've never noticed, but you are 100%.

Destor
11-07-2006, 04:19 AM
partial source: Wrestling Observer

On Samoa Joe's MySpace page (myspace.com/joeism), he was asked about WWE's Umaga. Here is his response:

Q. Dear Joe what do you think about Umaga? Is he a ripoff of you?

A. I think Umaga is a strong Hamo in the struggle and I hope he wrecks everyone over there. Ahh not the answer you where expecting? Honestly I am more than happy for the success Umaga is enjoying in the WWE. By the way what is with people saying he is a rip off of me? Honestly thats like comparing Bad News Allen to Samba Simba. GET that lazy ass comparison bullsh!% out of here. As for him being undefeated good on him. I don't know if yall noticed but in Pro Wrestling Circles Samoans are usually on average MUCH better that .500.